Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ZenMaster posted:

Why are the space chariots fighting around Milford Sound, New Zealand?

Ha.

funniest thing is it won't have any effect on the sales at all when really everyone should be concerned they can't even make an image anymore.

$4,000,000+ sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

thatguy posted:

gently caress!

lol, It generates real bar codes for your fake jpg drivers licenses

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6ojel1/the_bar_stripes_on_the_drivers_license_actually/

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Eh, working bar codes aren't hard to generate.

https://www.barcodesinc.com/generator/index.php

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ZenMaster posted:

Why are the space chariots fighting around Milford Sound, New Zealand?

:negative:

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Well Now that the cars are now in* the space game, I guess that means CiG is saved. Everyone go home.

*please note the use of 'in' here is purely theoretical. As is the game.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Beet Wagon posted:

God drat lol, this has circled back around from funny to sad. Holy poo poo :laffo:

technically these are mat paintings, I used to do these a lot.
It's a quite know practice in concept making.

Usually, they do try to hide the original pictures more though.

sad CIG is sad.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

God dang I love this clusterfuck. :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

sad CIG is sad.

There's also the whole old issue of them using it for commercial marketing purposes. At that point, you can yell “concept art” as much as you like and you'll still not be allowed to use the original unless you've acquired some derivative-work license to use it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

sad CIG is sad.

It's not that they're using a mat painting - as you said that's pretty common - it's that they've been touting their planet-generating abilities for loving months and they can't even be bothered to use a screenshot from in the game to market their reskinned Warthog.

People on Reddit are legit going "wow is the water really going to look like that" because CIG's marketing is A) too loving stupid to realize how pumped people would be if they used this as an opportunity to show off their terrain and B) too loving evil to bother not lying to their customers.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Beet Wagon posted:

It's a loving stealth military surplus truck available with a bunch of different loadouts and they're selling a package for $230.00

Jesus loving Christ, CIG - I WAS JOKING ABOUT THAT poo poo.

As Derek would say Beet, you loving called it. Nice work on the Tumbril. So it's 230 for five "ships" with LTI and five skins addition skins for that ship. Or $40 if I just want one of those instead. Sounds like a good deal, I'll take 10.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

It's not that they're using a mat painting - as you said that's pretty common - it's that they've been touting their planet-generating abilities for loving months and they can't even be bothered to use a screenshot from in the game to market their reskinned Warthog.

People on Reddit are legit going "wow is the water really going to look like that" because CIG's marketing is A) too loving stupid to realize how pumped people would be if they used this as an opportunity to show off their terrain and B) too loving evil to bother not lying to their customers.

well when you put it like that;;;
It actually didn't cross my mind yet, that indeed with their planetary tech they could at least drop it in an environment.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Tippis posted:

There's also the whole old issue of them using it for commercial marketing purposes. At that point, you can yell “concept art” as much as you like and you'll still not be allowed to use the original unless you've acquired some derivative-work license to use it.

valid point.
I miss archergate.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

big nipples big life posted:

We should place bets on what they make on the sale. Going with 2.7 million.

2,85 million.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Yup

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/888155153710424064
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/888154348404043780

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 20, 2017

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

well when you put it like that;;;
It actually didn't cross my mind yet, that indeed with their planetary tech they could at least drop it in an environment.

Like they did anything more than make a literal jpeg.

It would have to be something with an actual model to be dropped in the procedural environment.

Also - remember per the cast iron TOS - buying these doesn't guarantee that you will actually get them, and if you do get something it may look completely different from the concept picture.

<<insert rusty radio flyer photo here>>

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

sad CIG is sad.

The thing that gets me about the image is how poorly rendered the truck itself is. The background is hardly changed, they just added some dumb towers and spaceships flying by in a blur, but if you can find a high res version, look at the cyclone itself. It looks like a test shot on a progressive render that they stopped too early. The reflections are grainy and the shadows aren't properly resolved at all. This would undoubtedly look better actually rendered Cryengine.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Hello everyone, been lurking some but been too busy with boring rl stuff to post... anyhoo here's some art history for you:

This is titled "The Emperor Triumphant" painted between 2012-2014 by renowned French artist Rien d'Archère, it shows the Emperor Crobler at the peak of his powers. He smiles at the viewer, pointing to the stars with an outflung arm. "Come with me and live the dream!" he seems to say. Sat upon his mighty steed Star Citizen, the world is his oyster.

Compare the above to this painting by controversial Russian artist Derki Smartov. Painted during 2015-2017, this is simply titled "Deathmarch". After his comprehensive defeat on the freezing Steppe of Reality we see the beaten Emperor retreating with his defeated army of minions. Every stroke of the artists brush cries: Oh the Humanity! Where did it all go wrong?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Natron posted:

The thing that gets me about the image is how poorly rendered the truck itself is. The background is hardly changed, they just added some dumb towers and spaceships flying by in a blur, but if you can find a high res version, look at the cyclone itself. It looks like a test shot on a progressive render that they stopped too early. The reflections are grainy and the shadows aren't properly resolved at all. This would undoubtedly look better actually rendered Cryengine.

It's concept image. They don't have an actual 3D model. So they won't have anything to render.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Galarox posted:

Hello everyone, been lurking some but been too busy with boring rl stuff to post... anyhoo here's some art history for you:

This is titled "The Emperor Triumphant" painted between 2012-2014 by renowned French artist Rien d'Archère, it shows the Emperor Crobler at the peak of his powers. He smiles at the viewer, pointing to the stars with an outflung arm. "Come with me and live the dream!" he seems to say. Sat upon his mighty steed Star Citizen, the world is his oyster.

Compare the above to this painting by controversial Russian artist Derki Smartov. Painted during 2015-2017, this is simply titled "Deathmarch". After his comprehensive defeat on the freezing Steppe of Reality we see the beaten Emperor retreating with his defeated army of minions. Every stroke of the artists brush cries: Oh the Humanity! Where did it all go wrong?

Ho Lee Cow!! WB!!!

:five::five::five::perfect::five::five::five:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Galarox posted:

:five::five::five:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

gently caress, nobody told me the thread was gonna get good again.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Beet Wagon posted:

gently caress, nobody told me the thread was gonna get good again.

Oh, let me help alleviate that.

My favorite pizza is pineapple BBQ sauce. Discuss.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Drunk Theory posted:

Oh, let me help alleviate that.

My favorite pizza is pineapple BBQ sauce. Discuss.

No.
Also, no.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

D_Smart posted:

It's concept image. They don't have an actual 3D model. So they won't have anything to render.

The cyclone itself is a 3d model. A 3d model that someone has (poorly)rendered and slapped into a photograph.

It's especially odd considering that they have that planetary tech just kickin' around looking and performing amazingly. You'd think an artist could just brush over an area real quick and get a few shots...

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Why the gently caress did they steal my government's propaganda pics?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's pretty funny that a company took six years and $150,000,000+ dollars with 300+ employees to match the photoshop skills of that canadian lady that died on everest after sticking herself in landscapes of mountains and posting them on facebook.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

D_Smart posted:

But why don't they have an actual 3-D model? CIG has so many loving "artists" working for them. Why can't they put together something and render it to show something that looks a little more "in game." I would think that would help their sales. Seems weird to me that they don't try to do that given the number of employees they say they have.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Natron posted:

The cyclone itself is a 3d model. A 3d model that someone has (poorly)rendered and slapped into a photograph.

It's especially odd considering that they have that planetary tech just kickin' around looking and performing amazingly. You'd think an artist could just brush over an area real quick and get a few shots...

Okay. I get it. Crobert's wanted them in an action shot. They have no way to make an actual action shot ingame.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I hope the bank guys who now own CIG are secretly watching this thread.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

TheAgent posted:

god, thats just loving despicable desperate.
FTFY

I'm guessing the resources are getting thin, even for making the bullshots CIG depends on for funding. The other backgrounds probably are real photos too.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I've been searching forever and still can't find the original image they used. I've gotten so loving close, but not 100%

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Natron posted:

It's also odd that, if they have a 3D model, they didn't do the sensible thing of rendering on top of various flats that had the matte painting Archered backdrop projected onto them. It would have all kinds of fancy things that matched(…ish) the environment . Like proper shadows.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Tippis posted:

It's also odd that, if they have a 3D model, they didn't do the sensible thing of rendering on top of various flats that had the matte painting Archered backdrop projected onto them. It would have all kinds of fancy things that matched(…ish) the environment . Like proper shadows.

That kind of stuff can also be photoshopped in. It'll never be perfect, but you can get the job done. If you're good, that is.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MinorInconvenience posted:

But why don't they have an actual 3-D model? CIG has so many loving "artists" working for them. Why can't they put together something and render it to show something that looks a little more "in game." I would think that would help their sales. Seems weird to me that they don't try to do that given the number of employees they say they have.

This was done by the artists while is should have been a job for the engineers, who are too busy creating the awesome procedurally-generated landscape technology to waste time making a procedurally generated landscape image.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

taxation without representation
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DisloyalRipeHippopotamus-mobile.mp4

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Natron posted:

That kind of stuff can also be photoshopped in. It'll never be perfect, but you can get the job done. If you're good, that is.

Sure, but that's kind of my point: why do it the hard way with dubious results, when any 3D package from Lightwave on the Amiga and onwards would let you blend the two effortlessly in-camera?

…assuming you had a 3D model, that is.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Natron posted:

funny you should mention that, I had the exact same thought.
I use corona render for my work ( I do renders for archviz ) and corona is progressive.

Meaning, it works with passes, 10 passes you can see all these dots'(noise) in corners, 100 passes give a nice clean image.

it looks like the render wasn't even done.
Also the fake headlights they shopped on it.

Crazy_BlackParrot fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 20, 2017

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

MinorInconvenience posted:

They actually have 50 models of it created.
Chris is just not happy with any of them and so they are constantly being refactored so the fidelity is perfect.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
What triggers me is that the ships are flying really low and the missile is firing late. It doesn't seem like it is hitting anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

D_Smart posted:

that concept is obviously 3D, not painted. maybe some materials where photoshopped on it, but this is been made. probably not rigged etc. but it exists.