Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

What econobox is the regal based on? I drove a last gen GS and found it quick, quiet, and comfortable, with a nice interior and a handsome exterior. They're good cars.

It's based on the opel/vaxhaul insignia which is cheaper than a focus in the UK, cheaper than a passat in germany. Shares platform with the malibu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Hm! Color me surprised, then

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Hm! Color me surprised, then

It's still a good platform and the next car that Hyundai/Kia make that drives well will be the first.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Powershift posted:

It's based on the opel/vaxhaul insignia which is cheaper than a focus in the UK, cheaper than a passat in germany. Shares platform with the malibu.

I don’t think it’s actually cheaper than a Focus, it’s more how GM and Ford to pricing in that market (bullshit rrps with huge discounts vs more realistic start pricing)

People don’t actually pay 20k for a base Focus

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's still a good platform and the next car that Hyundai/Kia make that drives well will be the first.

Not to defend Kia yet again but I'm assuming you're comparing all of Kia's lesser models to like performance cars? Because the first few years of the turbo Optima were very well reviewed in their class, before the engines were gimped in favor of fuel economy.

Edit: VV "For those who like to drive, the Optima and the 6 are the most satisfying mid-size sedans, with the Honda Accord and Sonata just behind. Relative to that lot, everything else in the segment is automotive applesauce." Car & Driver May 2011

davebo fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 20, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The turbo optima was fast but it still was a lousy drive because the company can't figure out steering and suspension.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hopefully hiring the guy that ran BMW's M division fixed that for them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KillHour posted:

Hopefully hiring the guy that ran BMW's M division fixed that for them.

Well, they're already saying their hot hatch won't come to the US, so they're on the same track! :haw:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I still remember Cubans saying, with regards to their Kias, "look at my Korean Lada!"

I don't think I'll be purchasing a Kia any time soon.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
So this relates to future products, anyway.

Ford/GM's new 10 speed Auto. Trucks (F150/Sierra/Silverado) are RWD. Mustang/Camaro are RWD. What else is even going to use it? Ranger? Colorado? Some SUVs? Does Ford even have a RWD based SUV anymore?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The turbo optima was fast but it still was a lousy drive because the company can't figure out steering and suspension.

Sounds like somebody never drove a Kia Elan

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ilkhan posted:

So this relates to future products, anyway.

Ford/GM's new 10 speed Auto. Trucks (F150/Sierra/Silverado) are RWD. Mustang/Camaro are RWD. What else is even going to use it? Ranger? Colorado? Some SUVs? Does Ford even have a RWD based SUV anymore?

There's a new expedition and navigator coming out this year. The bronco is coming back soon. 4.7% of all vehicles sold in the US last year were f-series pickups. That's one in every 21 vehicles sold. If Gm puts the 10 speed in every FR vehicle like ford does, around 10% of all vehicles sold in the US would have that transmission in it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Powershift posted:

There's a new expedition and navigator coming out this year. The bronco is coming back soon. 4.7% of all vehicles sold in the US last year were f-series pickups. That's one in every 21 vehicles sold. If Gm puts the 10 speed in every FR vehicle like ford does, around 10% of all vehicles sold in the US would have that transmission in it.
True. Its a lot of vehicles, just not a lot of variety of nameplates.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Ford F-series, Mustang, Expedition, Navigator. Maybe the Ranger and Bronco. GM has the Silverado, Sierra, Camaro, Colorado/Canyon, Cadillacs entire lineup save the XT5 and XTS.

That seems like quite a lot of nameplates sharing a single transmission. Assuming it goes in all of them.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Someone's going to stick the new 10-speed auto into a used Crown Vic as well.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

TheWevel posted:

We should all drive Crew Cab, EcoBoosted F-150s.

Powershift parachute account spotted.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

yeah you mean the one where they bought all the tooling from lotus and didn't do any of the engineering on the car? that one?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Q_res posted:

Ford F-series, Mustang, Expedition, Navigator. Maybe the Ranger and Bronco. GM has the Silverado, Sierra, Camaro, Colorado/Canyon, Cadillacs entire lineup save the XT5 and XTS.

That seems like quite a lot of nameplates sharing a single transmission. Assuming it goes in all of them.

The ZF 8HP goes in a shitload of cars too.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Has any of us? It's kind of an oddball.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah you mean the one where they bought all the tooling from lotus and didn't do any of the engineering on the car? that one?

:thejoke:

Though actually in modern times both Hyundai and Kia have regularly contracted Lotus as consultants for both chassis engineering and tuning

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mental Hospitality posted:

Someone's going to stick the new 10-speed auto into a used Crown Vic as well.

imagine the 2.7 ecoboost/10 speed in a crown vic.

5 second 0-60 and 30+mpg

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Powershift posted:

There, i fixed it.

Now you just need a brown car and make the inner grille piece red.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Christ.

It genuinely wouldn't be as hideous if the lip of the bonnet around the emblem was white and the pointless chrome didn't exist.

*edit: 60 seconds in Gimp. Tilt the badge and done.

Seems like a color-matched wrap would accomplish this quite nicely in the real world, no? Or poo poo, even plastidip.

I also don't see the grille as-is as some sort of monstrosity either.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

I also don't see the grille as-is as some sort of monstrosity either.

I like how it looks like it ran into some kid's old Sega GameGear

I dunno, sure seems awfully busy. Almost schizophrenic with so many different personalities.

I assume there's a reason the solid black box couldn't be integrated into the solid black row of the grille and instead was mounted in the more open air-flowing part? The cameras and sensors have to be as close to the road as possible?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The real styling abortion will be the interior.

Honda these days thinks they're Mozart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6_eqxh-Qok

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

davebo posted:

I dunno, sure seems awfully busy. Almost schizophrenic with so many different personalities.

I assume there's a reason the solid black box couldn't be integrated into the solid black row of the grille and instead was mounted in the more open air-flowing part? The cameras and sensors have to be as close to the road as possible?

You'll see those in most new cars - they're for active cruise control and emergency forward braking systems. They need to have an unobstructed view forward. In that shot, if you couldn't see through the grille to the radiator, I think it would look a lot better.

BloodBag posted:

The real styling abortion will be the interior.

which honda interiors actually look bad from a styling perspective besides the ridiculous Civic digital speedometer?

yeah this looks really terrible

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You'll see those in most new cars - they're for active cruise control and emergency forward braking systems. They need to have an unobstructed view forward. In that shot, if you couldn't see through the grille to the radiator, I think it would look a lot better.

Well I agree which is why I was wondering if it could be mounted in the fully black portion instead. I get that of course it needs an unobstructed view forward, but is there any kind of height restriction on them? I would think the closer it is the ground the more likely it is to get mud or leaves all over it.

Maybe the goal is to retrieve more traffic data by peeking underneath the trucks and suv's in front of you to the vehicle ahead.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
They could have it that far back to protect it during low speed crashes. If cars take a lot of money in damage in low speed wrecks it makes them really expensive to insure. Alternatively I know Nissan was advertising forward facing radar that could "bounce" the radar off the ground to see stopped vehicles in front of the vehicle in front of you. That's all I can think for why you'd mount low and far back.

All this driving tech is so new and there are so many styles, I imagine in 3-4 years we will see the market settle more on what technology they want to use. I think Subaru is all digital imagine correlation, where as I think Merc is primarily radar. I don't know if any one is using lidar on a production vehicle.

I did read a Bosch white papers a while back discussing the number of sensors needed for new cars, it was enlightening.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

davebo posted:

I'm pretty sure it's there to sit under the license plate when it is mounted in the middle of the solid black grille.

Same deal on the Golf R, I dont love the placement but it isnt that noticable in person.

D C fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 21, 2017

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

which honda interiors actually look bad from a styling perspective besides the ridiculous Civic digital speedometer?

yeah this looks really terrible

Ah, I see they've also attended the "just jam a loving tablet in there" school of design.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

MikeyTsi posted:

Ah, I see they've also attended the "just jam a loving tablet in there" school of design.

Yea sucks other than that the rest looks great. I was looking at the Audi A3's awhile ago and the nav/stereo can be put away into the dash which is just loving genius and I don't see why everyone else doesn't do that.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Mr-Spain posted:

Yea sucks other than that the rest looks great. I was looking at the Audi A3's awhile ago and the nav/stereo can be put away into the dash which is just loving genius and I don't see why everyone else doesn't do that.

Well, the Mazdaspeed 6 at least does that too. Part of the problem with that though is that they seem to forget the concept of design when they do that, and it also makes installing an aftermarket system even more difficult.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mr-Spain posted:

Mazda and Cadillac were doing popup screens like 10 years ago

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

MikeyTsi posted:

Well, the Mazdaspeed 6 at least does that too. Part of the problem with that though is that they seem to forget the concept of design when they do that, and it also makes installing an aftermarket system even more difficult.

You shouldn't need to bother with aftermarket head units in 2017 on new vehicles, so I don't count that as a negative.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Thats some pretty universal praise for the si from c&d, sounds like a great bargain for 25k

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sadi posted:

They could have it that far back to protect it during low speed crashes. If cars take a lot of money in damage in low speed wrecks it makes them really expensive to insure. Alternatively I know Nissan was advertising forward facing radar that could "bounce" the radar off the ground to see stopped vehicles in front of the vehicle in front of you. That's all I can think for why you'd mount low and far back.

All this driving tech is so new and there are so many styles, I imagine in 3-4 years we will see the market settle more on what technology they want to use. I think Subaru is all digital imagine correlation, where as I think Merc is primarily radar. I don't know if any one is using lidar on a production vehicle.

I did read a Bosch white papers a while back discussing the number of sensors needed for new cars, it was enlightening.
The new Audi A8 they just announced is the first car to use lidar.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Koirhor posted:

Thats some pretty universal praise for the si from c&d, sounds like a great bargain for 25k

I am strongly considering one for my first ever practical fun car. I might wait and see if the 2018 gets a volume knob.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Drove the Regal GS, albeit only for about 10 mins and we weren't allowed to take it above 50. (I hit 60mph, please don't hate me, Buick.) it was actually really decent. Looking forward to getting some proper time with one.

But, it's not a hell of a lot cheaper than the A5 Sportback, although the cheap one of those doesn't come with 310hp.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

drgitlin posted:

Drove the Regal GS, albeit only for about 10 mins and we weren't allowed to take it above 50. (I hit 60mph, please don't hate me, Buick.) it was actually really decent. Looking forward to getting some proper time with one.

But, it's not a hell of a lot cheaper than the A5 Sportback, although the cheap one of those doesn't come with 310hp.
Did it have more headroom than the A5? From sitting in them I think it's A5 < A4 < A6 with the A6 being the first one that actually comfortably fits me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Seemed fine to me but I'm only 5'7".