Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Mandel was within 6 points of Brown in 2012. I think this dope beating Brown would be worse than Feingold losing to Johnson...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I was surprised to find out Mandel is older than me. He looks like a loving baby in his commercials. Also, Sherrod Brown is indeed awesome. The morning local news always has clips of him discussing what's going on. Never see anything like that from Portman.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Mandel was within 6 points of Brown in 2012. I think this dope beating Brown would be worse than Feingold losing to Johnson...

Brown's polling against Mandel isn't great :(

WTF Ohio? Is there some local reason he's unpopular?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

And Trump know what health insurance is because remember he canceled his relative’s coverage for his sick child when the guy challenged a family will.

I'm still amazed that wasn't the center of the biggest attack ad campaign of all.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Mr Hootington posted:

That doesn't sound like bipartisanship.

What if you use both fists?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Sherrod Brown (D)

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Yes: Ohio is terrible

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/888045938324815872

The fact that they are like two dozen seats away from being able to do this is alarming.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Okay I can't not see this dillhole without seeing Shooter McGavin.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Horrifying, wasn't it?

I helped research for that book, AMA

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FourLeaf posted:

The fact that they are like two dozen seats away from being able to do this is alarming.

Amendments proposed by a constitutional convention still need 75% ratification by the individual states, which basically isn't loving happening.

The only thing a constitutional convention does is bypass the Congressional introduction step.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Huh. An alt-right Jew who invokes the holocaust while making light of the genocide of American Indians. Huh.

He should go to more of those free speech rallies and let the oathkeepers and 3% crew get a good look at that nose and see what happens.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FourLeaf posted:

It's been their goal for at least a decade. They're within striking distance of doing it by 2019 if 2018 goes as spectacularly terrible for the Democrats as I've resigned myself that it will.

ALEC has been working like a motherfucker to turn state houses and governors mansions red, and they're almost there...

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

FourLeaf posted:

Hahaha that shits never happening

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
“I assume you’re gonna leave this off, don’t put this poo poo on the show, you know. But her skin, her skin sucks, okay?” he says, according to the transcript. “I mean her skin, she needs some serious fuckin’ dermatology.” Cyndi Lauper, who headed the team that managed West, interjected to explain that they used “dry stuff” ― presumably, makeup ― and said Trump was objecting to something that was “not her skin.” But he remained unimpressed. “gently caress,” he proclaimed. “That’s Emily, that’s what I’m hearing about? Let me see the other one. I assume you’re not putting this on the show. ‘Cause I don’t wanna destroy the kid’s career.”

“Personally, I am, as you probably heard, not a gay man, but I think he’s better looking that [sic] Emily okay?” Trump said of Bryan at one point. Trump also asked Trace Adkins, the country music star who served as a guest judge on the show, what he thought about brochures that each team produced. “Well I um, I, I think the one they did for Emily is a little more polished looking,” Adkins said. “You’re obviously not a skin man,” Trump said. He later reiterated the point, pounded the table and said, “which is okay.” He added, “I wish I wasn’t.”

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

nine-gear crow posted:

It's been their goal for at least a decade. They're within striking distance of doing it by 2019 if 2018 goes as spectacularly terrible for the Democrats as I've resigned myself that it will.

ALEC has been working like a motherfucker to turn state houses and governors mansions red, and they're almost there...

No, they're not.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Despera posted:

Hahaha that shits never happening

We said that about a Trump presidency. All options are on the table

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

As opposed to Obama? What did his legislative experience bring?

They just need to follow W's lead and hire "good" people and listen to them. That's Trump's biggest issue getting poo poo done, is he won't listen to his advisors.

We don't need someone with legislative or foreign policy experience we need someone who can lead and has a vision of this country worth leading us to it.

Obama's actually an example of how having little political experience is bad, not an example of relevant experience not mattering. He was only elected to the Senate four years before being elected to the White House, and wasn't involved in national politics before that at all. Republicans would have tried to stonewall anyone, but even allies were critical of Obama for not being good at congressional politics as president. Experience also matters when it comes to knowing enough to know which people to choose to trust, and what advice to ignore, which isn't to say experienced politicians never trust the wrong people. The presidency is too important to hand to a novice, and it's hurting Republicans that Trump doesn't know anything about their agenda.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

lol, no they are not even close. When you lay the states out from most red to most blue, and start counting, you'll see that something like Connecticut would have to say "sure, sounds good to us" to ratify a GOP-led amendment.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Spiffster posted:

One of these things is not like the other

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Watching goons freak out about an article v convention of states was definitely worth the 10 dollar rereg.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Spiffster posted:

I'm going to start using this for literally any unlikely scenario now.

"Richard Spencer is about to be named the head of BLM"

"What? You're high"

"Well you were so confident about a trump loss, and look how that turned out!"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Spiffster posted:

Winning an electoral victory in a presidential election is qualitatively and quantitatively very different from achieving total (or sufficiently close to total, in the event of wacky delegation bullshit) control of 75% of US states. Sure, it's theoretically possible, but President Trump doesnt necessarily mean that eg New Jersey is going to go full Trump and okay a constitutional amendment abolishing birthright citizenship.

If I remembered how to do Select All on my phone I could literally go back and post the numbers, as it stands you'll have to either remember how to use Google or wait for someone else to do it for you.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

GreyjoyBastard posted:

No, they're not.

Even loving Idaho failed to pass a convention call bill or whatever they're called.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Spiffster posted:

#34 Maine
#35 Virginia
#36 Colorado
#37 Delaware
#38 New Jersey
#39 Connecticut

Your mission is to convince the state legislature of half of those states to agree to the "gently caress the Democrats forever" constitutional amendment. Ready, and..... go

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ague Proof posted:

"Where do they get "founded on Judaeo Christian values"

Our founding fathers were Christian. Period. Cultural misappropriation."

The US also wasn't founded on Christian values or beliefs and Jefferson explicitly said the US is not a Christian nation. :ssh:

Oh hey, it's that program that I've mentioned the GOP was going to use to disenfranchise millions of people and was part of their assault on voters in multiple states that the GOP (barely) won in 2016.

Well I'm sure we won't see it used to steal elections next year or in 2020 as it gets the full weight of the Federal government put behind it to purge poor/minority-heavy voter rolls.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Despera posted:

Watching goons freak out about an article v convention of states was definitely worth the 10 dollar rereg.

:hf:

Like, the most hellish plausible amendment from random state-level morons that might stand a chance is some form of balanced budget amendment. Which is you know, pretty hellish, but for reasons that take time to explain, which is the only reason its odds are distinguishable from zero.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Spiffster posted:

lol loving shut up a constitutional convention isn't happening with a legislature that can't even pass a loving bill

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rigel posted:

Your mission is to convince the state legislature of half of those states to agree to the "gently caress the Democrats forever" constitutional amendment. Ready, and..... go

Shower them in enough :homebrew: and you'd probably flip half of em.

:edi:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Rigel posted:

#34 Maine
#35 Virginia
#36 Colorado
#37 Delaware
#38 New Jersey
#39 Connecticut

And the governors, probably!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Covok posted:

Also, our founding father's were Deists. Deism can be described as "The belief that God has created the universe but remains apart from it and permits his creation to administer itself through natural laws." Which is funny because, having actually looked it up, it mimics a religious line of thought that I exposed for a while so it's weird to think someone beat me to it. Regardless, this stands in direct contrast with 95% of conservative Christian American values.

TWO of them were deists. A very important two (Franklin and Jefferson), but this dumb repeated fact is dumb.

edit: There may have been another one but the vast majority of the founders were Christian.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This is fun. Since we sometimes daydream about getting rid of the electoral college and changing the senate to be more proportional to the state populations, we would need to convince half of these states to agree to the "gently caress the GOP forever" constitutional amendment.

#10 Idaho
#11 Nebraska
#12 Louisiana
#13 Mississippi
#14 Indiana
#15 Missouri

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

theflyingorc posted:

TWO of them were deists. A very important two (Franklin and Jefferson), but this dumb repeated fact is dumb.

edit: There may have been another one but the vast majority of the founders were Christian.
You’re not wrong, but Madison was probably a deist or an atheist and probably deserves mention. He made a point never to write much about his religious views though.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Jaxyon posted:

I'm going to start using this for literally any unlikely scenario now.

"Richard Spencer is about to be named the head of BLM"

"What? You're high"

"Well you were so confident about a trump loss, and look how that turned out!"

That's crazy. Richard Spencer is the Navy Secretary.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Rigel posted:

This is fun. Since we sometimes daydream about getting rid of the electoral college and changing the senate to be more proportional to the state populations, we would need to convince half of these states to agree to the "gently caress the GOP forever" constitutional amendment.

#10 Idaho
#11 Nebraska
#12 Louisiana
#13 Mississippi
#14 Indiana
#15 Missouri

Technically you could override the electoral college with just enough states to get 271 electors but your second point stands

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

theflyingorc posted:

And Thomas Paine. Ethan Allen. Probably Monroe as well.

Except, you know, the enormous prevalence of deism among educated people in that time period and influence of it on even the founders who remained Christian.

Dumb would be claiming that deism was limited to people who were vocally and explicitly Deists.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Insurrectum posted:

Technically you could override the electoral college with just enough states to get 271 electors but your second point stands

Yeah, the NPV interstate compact is the only plausible way to get around the electoral college.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hellblazer187 posted:

He's not "young" but Sherrod Brown is still my pick for 2020.

Haha so many hardcore retarded right wingers from Cleveland will kill themselves if his wife became first lady.

I support his candidacy.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
this is a fun article

*** warning louise mensch is the focus, but not because the author likes her ***

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/449671/louise-mensch-donald-trump-russia-conspiracy-theories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Jaxyon posted:

And Thomas Paine. Ethan Allen. Probably Monroe as well.

I mean, at least let's keep it to signatures of the constitution, or people who had a real effect on crafting the government, not the Paines and Allens of the world.

Regardless, "the founding fathers were deists" paints a really inaccurate picture of what was going on. They were, however, dedicated to not favoring any religion - unlike what modern conservatism wants to claim.

• Locked thread