Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

To clarify, a unit of 10 Grey Hunters can only have 1 GH pack leader between them, correct?

I have a lot of work to do to keep this unit WYSIWYG. Thinking of the two halves as two separate units when i didn't intend to field them that way got me in trouble while building them.
Yes, you could only have one Wolf Guard regardless of unit size.

If you've built your models too differently, such as doubling up on wargear, maybe pick up another box of Grey Hunters to have two full squads of 10? That way you could build the next 10 to fill in both units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Senjuro posted:

I can't imagine the imperium would have been a lot more pleasant to live in with a sociopathic Emperor that only sees you as a resource or a tool. That's pretty much the state of the Imperium we know today. There needs to be a sense that things could have been better, drastically better for it to feel like a real loss.

It also makes the loyalist primarchs seem like complete chumps.

Just because he doesn't have empathy doesn't mean he can't create a fair and just society for humankind. The problem is his coldness on a personal level, it's the whole "I love humanity, it's people I can't stand" idea. We're also talking about some sort of psychic demi(?) god who perceives reality completely differently from a regular human (or even a primarch) so trying to understand him emotionally (or him understanding humans) is probably difficult.

According to the 6th(?) edition Codex, whichever one came out with Dark Vengeance, he's chilling out in a super-secret part of The Rock, in stasis, not far off from where they have Lysander imprisoned I believe. :v:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

goose willis posted:

That's what makes him so compelling, because Robot Girlyman is a constant winner and winners are boring

He isnt though, his fuckups are both numerous and disasterous.

He's interesting though because the mistakes he makes are a natural result of his character.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Xarlaxas posted:

Just because he doesn't have empathy doesn't mean he can't create a fair and just society for humankind. The problem is his coldness on a personal level, it's the whole "I love humanity, it's people I can't stand" idea. We're also talking about some sort of psychic demi(?) god who perceives reality completely differently from a regular human (or even a primarch) so trying to understand him emotionally (or him understanding humans) is probably difficult.

According to the 6th(?) edition Codex, whichever one came out with Dark Vengeance, he's chilling out in a super-secret part of The Rock, in stasis, not far off from where they have Lysander imprisoned I believe. :v:

I'm guess you mean Luther and not Darnath Lysander of the Imperial Fists, as funny as that would be.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
He isn't dead and as far as 40k goes that's some pretty massive winning

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

raverrn posted:

Because Eldrad exists?

So im super biased cause i got a huge crush on Eldrad but i wouldnt call him a mary sue. The guy has summarily hosed up every venture hes attempted.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

But enough about the traitor primarchs

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

goose willis posted:

He isn't dead and as far as 40k goes that's some pretty massive winning

He only isn't dead because a literal god walked up and ressed him.

He died in the first place because after stalling for time enough for all the other chapters to sabotage fulgrims ship instead of going "right, bye!" and teleporting away he tries to kill fulgrim one on one despite him now being a nigh unstoppable demon prince costing him his own life and the lives of too many of his men dragging his dying rear end out of there.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Senjuro posted:

Rest are either dead or MIA.

edit: VVVV or whatever is up with him. In stasis was it?
Stasis in The Rock. Other loyalist primarchs will likely show up after the warm welcome Robute received.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Xarlaxas posted:

They've been hinting at that for forever. It's nothing new, but it is a thread they can pull at to get another potentially loyalist primarch into 40k. I think it's actually one of the more interesting angles too. The Lion would probably be even less happy than Guilliman and might pull some real poo poo like trying to reform his legion or something.

I know you've already been corrected, but it bears repeating: It's Luther, not Lysander. :v:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Pendent posted:

I'm guess you mean Luther and not Darnath Lysander of the Imperial Fists, as funny as that would be.

Yes, I meant Luther: knew it began with an "L" and a quick google search gave me the wrong one. :doh:

That would certainly lead to some awkward questions for the Dark Angels. . . .

EDIT: Yeah, the Lion coming back would be very fun, with Cypher running around Lys Luther next door to him, and his "loyal" Marines spending more time hunting the Fallen than actually doing their jobs, he'd have a lot of house-cleaning.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

Yes, you could only have one Wolf Guard regardless of unit size.

If you've built your models too differently, such as doubling up on wargear, maybe pick up another box of Grey Hunters to have two full squads of 10? That way you could build the next 10 to fill in both units.

Thanks for the info - I'm still new to the gameplay side. I'll take a look at the models when i get home and see how salvageable they are, if not I planned on eventually getting another starter anyway so your plan would work perfectly.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I think with Magnus running around it would be cool to have Russ and/or Khan come screaming back out of the warp.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Safety Factor posted:

I feel like a lot of people kind of missed the point in Master of Mankind.

What is the point? Doubtful I'll read it, but I'd like to know the point.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

I think with Magnus running around it would be cool to have Russ and/or Khan come screaming back out of the warp.

Russ is popular enough he sounds like an obvious choice but his return would bring back the age of sigmaring 40k chicken littleing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Artum posted:

He only isn't dead because a literal god walked up and ressed him.

He died in the first place because after stalling for time enough for all the other chapters to sabotage fulgrims ship instead of going "right, bye!" and teleporting away he tries to kill fulgrim one on one despite him now being a nigh unstoppable demon prince costing him his own life and the lives of too many of his men dragging his dying rear end out of there.

Another reason he admitted this was really stupid is because he could't beat Fulgrim one on one before Fulgrim turned into super powerful Daemon.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Anyone else prefers if they didn't keep messing with the story so much or misses the status quo pre-Fall of Cadia? I know people have complained for decades that GW isn't progressing the story, me included at times, but now I feel like we didn't know what we had until we lost it. So much of the new fluff doesn't sit right with me.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Now that the lid is off on the Primarch thing I really wouldn't mind them bringing back anyone but Sanguinius, and this is speaking as a Blood Angels player. I'm sure I'd love the rules, but the entire point of the chapter is that he's very, very dead. All of the other loyalists just wandered off and got lost for 10k years or whatever but the whole sacrificial angle on Sanguinius is the basis of every bit of BA fluff.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Senjuro posted:

Anyone else prefers if they didn't keep messing with the story so much or misses the status quo pre-Fall of Cadia? I know people have complained for decades that GW isn't progressing the story, me included at times, but now I feel like we didn't know what we had until we lost it. So much of the new fluff doesn't sit right with me.

No, I couldn't go back to the decades of "no really were teetering on the edge of oblivion with no hope of recovery but also no end in sight" brinksmanship. Abaddon can only take so many Ls before he stops being an effective villain.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
£5 on all the bad poo poo going down in Commograh provides a means for the Khan to escape.

Then nobody buys him because gently caress painting white.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

SteelMentor posted:

£5 on all the bad poo poo going down in Commograh provides a means for the Khan to escape.

Then nobody buys him because gently caress painting white.

If he comes out riding a Heresy-era jet bike covered in war trophies of all the poo poo he killed I'll buy it.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Isn't Vulkan just... "somewhere"?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Angron did nothing wrong.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

BaconCopter posted:

Isn't Vulkan just... "somewhere"?

He's maybe dead, in a Spock like space coffin, waiting for Lil' Vulkan to find the rest of his treasures before being found.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So I have been working on a project for the last month. I want to build a modular two tier gothic hive city board. The end will have 6 2'x2' squares which can be set up in different ways for each game. Today I got 95% done with the first square!

There will be a stair case where there is a gap in the wall on the L shaped building but haven't finished making the mold for it yet. I am thinking I will hang banners of different space marine chapters from some of the walls to give it a little more color.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

No, I couldn't go back to the decades of "no really were teetering on the edge of oblivion with no hope of recovery but also no end in sight" brinksmanship. Abaddon can only take so many Ls before he stops being an effective villain.

What you describe though is simply the setting for the stories you tell. Stories that don't have to involve any of the big players or have galaxy wide repercussions. Like a Gaunt's Ghosts story doesn't need Abbadon to appear in order to be good. War everywhere with no end and no hope of true victory is integral to what 40k is.
GW has changed too many fundamental parts of the universe.
The imperium isn't hopeless and stagnant, they have this huge beacon of light, hope and reason called Gulliman.
The Adeptus Mecanicus isn't slowly regressing anymore, they have this guy that's apparently been there all along called Cawl and he can single handedly improve upon the entire space marine armory.
Space marines aren't the greatest warriors of humanity anymore, Cawl has also single handedly one upped the Emperor's own design and made them obsolete. Primaris marines are where it's at now.

I could probably think of a few more given time. Point is that it's some pretty basic characteristics of 40k that they're playing with.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 21, 2017

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Senjuro posted:

What you describe though is simply the setting for the stories you tell. Stories that don't have to involve any of the big players or have galaxy wide repercussions. Like a Gaunt's Ghosts story doesn't need Abbadon to appear in order to be good. War everywhere with no end and no hope of true victory is integral to what 40k is.
The imperium isn't hopeless and stagnant, they have this huge beacon of light, hope and reason called Gulliman.
The Adeptus Mecanicus isn't slowly regressing anymore, they have this guy that's apparently been there all along called Cawl and he can single handedly improve upon the entire space marine armory.
Space marines aren't the greatest warriors of humanity anymore, Cawl has also single handedly one upped the Emperor's own design and made them obsolete. Primaris marine's are where it's at now.

I could probably think of a few more given time. Point is that it's some pretty basic characteristics of 40k that they're playing with.

Yea so this next civil war is gonna be dope.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Uroboros posted:

I'm sorry that the character that is written as not being a glory seeking man-child is portrayed as more successful and level headed than his brothers, how unrealistic.

It depends on who is writing him. His portrayal in Know no Fear was awesome. Him magically showing up to save the Blood Angels just in the nick of time, not so much. (especially when they could have done something awesome with Sanguinor)

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

TheLawinator posted:

Eh, like the game needs more human sub-factions.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

It depends on who is writing him. His portrayal in Know no Fear was awesome. Him magically showing up to save the Blood Angels just in the nick of time, not so much. (especially when they could have done something awesome with Sanguinor)

The implication for the Blood Angels was more that Ka'Banda really saved them for nefarious purposes and Bobby G didn't show up until things were mostly over. There's a book coming out in a few months that will give more detail than the 2-3 paragraphs we have now. I'm reserving judgement until I see what happens when that story gets a chance to develop.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

TheLawinator posted:

Yeah, everything really has a "new civil war is coming" vibe to it: Gulliman is not liked by the Ecclisiarchy, the High Lords of Terra, and, the Inquisition. The Primaris Marines seem to think they're going to replace the regular Astartes any time now, and that's going to really go down well I'm sure. :v:

Cawl is basically a Heretek whose tinkering with sacred artefacts have put him at the top of the traditionalist Mechanicus hit list. . . .

Oh, and they both have worked with Xenos, so that makes them more suspect.

jadebullet posted:

Gulliman gets a lot of credit, but the real MVP in that fight was Khorne and his "this tendril of the hive fleet is now a pile of skulls" trick.

e: beaten ^

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Senjuro posted:

I don't like the new fluff at all. It pretty much put a nail into my 40k coffin because it's such a different tone. I was already pretty checked out though, so I'm not mad about it. I'm just glad I got out before 8th otherwise I would have probably bitched about it endlessly. Luckily I have the heresy where battles are grim and muscular men hardened and dirty. So I can bitch there endlessly instead.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 21, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Corax is also high on the list of primarchs who might come back, and he's a whole different load of trouble for the Imperium: Corax saw the Raven Guard as his students, not his sons, and saw the purpose of the Crusade as one of liberation.

He was never a particularly upbeat guy in the Imperium's heyday, and hard to imagine him being any happier in this era, but he was one of the best strategists and tacticians among the primarchs, and was the first primarch to tell Horus that he was an egomaniacal rear end in a top hat.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Senjuro posted:

Space marines aren't the greatest warriors of humanity anymore, Cawl has also single handedly one upped the Emperor's own design and made them obsolete. Primaris marines are where it's at now.

The war is still grim as hell though. Gaunts Ghosts can still be told post fall of Cadia just as easily - from the PoV of a random soldier poo poo still sucks and humanity is still at risk.

Before the stagnation and total dark age meant that humanity could never have any hope of any steps in the right direction. They were literally just waiting to die. And everything was so built Up as "if the emperor falters for one millisecond the universe instantly dies forever" and there's no more stories you can tell about that.

Now it's still a war and still grim but at least humanity can fight and maybe win a battle here and there and have hope that can later get crushed.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So I have been working on a project for the last month. I want to build a modular two tier gothic hive city board. The end will have 6 2'x2' squares which can be set up in different ways for each game. Today I got 95% done with the first square!

There will be a stair case where there is a gap in the wall on the L shaped building but haven't finished making the mold for it yet. I am thinking I will hang banners of different space marine chapters from some of the walls to give it a little more color.

Really looking forward to playing on this table.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Zuul the Cat posted:

Really looking forward to playing on this table.

I wouldn't hold your breath. I am hoping to have the squares done in a couple of months and maybe the buildings done before Christmas.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I hated the whole thing with Guilliman and the Blood Angels when I first read it, but the conversation Dante and Guilliman are implied to have on the surface that goes roughly:

Dante: Thanks for the rescue, but how'd you get past the fleet?
Guilliman: What fleet?
Both: ......

And I'm generally okay with Guilliman "taking credit" for something he didn't do, knows he didn't do, and everybody reading knows he didn't do, either.

EDIT: Also Guilliman is alright, and I seem to recall (in one of the Heresy books, maybe?) where he almost gets loving clowned by a single Tac Squad rapid firing bolters at him.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I feel like the sins of the ultramarines done by matt ward are being imposed on guilloman when he had nothing to do with that poo poo. I like the guy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Russ will be back sooner rather than later. That was the whole point of the Wolfen coming back and the Fenris system getting skull hosed by both Chaos and the other Astartes thanks to that Changeling Daemon.

Honestly, I'm still holding out for Russ, Girlyman, Vulkan, and Jagtai all meeting up and deciding to blow up the Golden Throne to stop building a goddamn chaos god out of Dad's corpse, and the civil war that follows as the Ecclesiarchy, Ad Mech, and Lords of Terra try to keep their stranglehold on all of Humanity.

Let the primarchs carve out fiefdoms, humanity start actually exploring further out to escape the Rift (making room for new xenos), and create a new tension of the loyalist marines having to fight literally everyone without the support of Terra.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So after my initial kneejerk "this is terrible" reaction, I'm thinking the iron hand stratagem pairs well with hunter-killer missiles. Toss those on some razorbacks and bring troops to the front while unloading on stuff. Not entirely sure the CP is worth spending on that though, since 3 CP most fights for me is going to go to making my captain a chapter master.

I still think that it's one of the weaker chapters though.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 21, 2017