Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
if we privatized air traffic control this not happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Nebakenezzer posted:

Good News!

Something catastrophic nearly happened but didn't (aside from American health care)

In San Fransisco, a Air Canada Airbus tried to land on the taxiway instead of the runway next to it. At what was likely the literal last second, the pilots realized their mistake and pulled out of it. In the aviation megathread in AI, smarty pants posters marvel at how nasty this almost was.

For the unsure, 787s and A340s are large aircraft with presumably lots of people on them

lol i thought Harrison Ford had his wings taken away by the FAA after pulling the same shiet at SNA??

seriously tho that would have been an easy 500+ fatalities if so...ill have to chk the thread l8r it's been a while

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Al! posted:

if we privatized air traffic control this not happen

Two things:

America wants to privatize air traffic control :shepface:

The situation in ATC in America is so bad the controller's union is for it :shepicide:

The reason why American ATC is so underfunded is congress. American ATC gets funding partially from collecting fees, and partially from congress, and big surprise what was formerly poor performance from congress is now non-existent

Best case, privitization could actually work if it modeled itself on Canada's ATC, which believe it or not is widely considered the best in the world, and is this public/private hybrid that is managed quite well. Worst case, well, Trump brand ATC

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
more like

scarebus
:smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nebakenezzer posted:

Two things:

America wants to privatize air traffic control :shepface:

The situation in ATC in America is so bad the controller's union is for it :shepicide:

The reason why American ATC is so underfunded is congress. American ATC gets funding partially from collecting fees, and partially from congress, and big surprise what was formerly poor performance from congress is now non-existent

Best case, privitization could actually work if it modeled itself on Canada's ATC, which believe it or not is widely considered the best in the world, and is this public/private hybrid that is managed quite well. Worst case, well, Trump brand ATC

You know exactly which one we'd get in today's environment.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
id love to be able to look into learning to fly someday and perhaps take a few lessons to scope it out but obtaining a license would likely completely off the table due to a disqualifying medical condition so unless my application had more alternative facts than jared kushners security clearance application...

so to make up for this i satisfy my desire to fly by riding a motorcycle and ofc smoking a lot of :420:

shiets expensive af tho so its prob 4 the best...tho to have access to an ultralight and the qualifications to fly it solo would still fkn own

:smithcloud:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

There's also telepresence drones, normally I wouldn't say that but it sounds like even a pilot's license has some serious obstacles

you know what ***my*** :smithcloud: is

underwater robots are fukkin expensive - the most basic one that you sorta build yourself is like a grand

And that google dude is building himself a goddamn personal airship yacht and so now I can't do it first

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Nebakenezzer posted:

There's also telepresence drones, normally I wouldn't say that but it sounds like even a pilot's license has some serious obstacles

you know what ***my*** :smithcloud: is

underwater robots are fukkin expensive - the most basic one that you sorta build yourself is like a grand

And that google dude is building himself a goddamn personal airship yacht and so now I can't do it first

yep drones are one of those things that i didnt see coming like 10yrs ago, and they are only going to become cheaper and fancier...my excuse not to get into that was always the fact that my phone was ancient and unable to interface with them, which isnt a problem anymore - so now its basically just me not needing another expensive hobby at the moment. tho viewing the world from a remote perspective has always been a fascination of mine and obviously with a drone u can do just that quite easily and ofc beyond that have near endless possibilities - hmm now u got me going, i have a friend who has a couple that they built so perhaps ill request a little presentation and maaaybe ask to borrow one...

a grand for a basic underwater drone kit sounds reasonable...thats nothing compared with the money u burn on cars and cycles (or heaven help u, a boat) and im guessing the necessary underwater capability (and propulsion) = lots of specialized quality parts and tight tolerances to prevent it from sinking to the bottom never to return

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mariana Horchata posted:

yep drones are one of those things that i didnt see coming like 10yrs ago, and they are only going to become cheaper and fancier...my excuse not to get into that was always the fact that my phone was ancient and unable to interface with them, which isnt a problem anymore - so now its basically just me not needing another expensive hobby at the moment. tho viewing the world from a remote perspective has always been a fascination of mine and obviously with a drone u can do just that quite easily and ofc beyond that have near endless possibilities - hmm now u got me going, i have a friend who has a couple that they built so perhaps ill request a little presentation and maaaybe ask to borrow one...

a grand for a basic underwater drone kit sounds reasonable...thats nothing compared with the money u burn on cars and cycles (or heaven help u, a boat) and im guessing the necessary underwater capability (and propulsion) = lots of specialized quality parts and tight tolerances to prevent it from sinking to the bottom never to return

That's it pretty much. Cheap electronics from china (and let's be honest, consumer demand) have really driven down the price of skydrones, but you really need things built to a p high tolerance if you want something useable under pressure. Unlike sky things too, you can't just use wireless. You need a big umbilical cable, usually to delver power along with telemetry. Oh speaking of power here is a canadian company that makes ROVs and their smallest model can use the power from a portable Honda generator as opposed to having its own power cabinet on a boat or being pluggable into the mains

not even first world problems, just deeply eccentric problems

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's it pretty much. Cheap electronics from china (and let's be honest, consumer demand) have really driven down the price of skydrones, but you really need things built to a p high tolerance if you want something useable under pressure. Unlike sky things too, you can't just use wireless. You need a big umbilical cable, usually to delver power along with telemetry. Oh speaking of power here is a canadian company that makes ROVs and their smallest model can use the power from a portable Honda generator as opposed to having its own power cabinet on a boat or being pluggable into the mains

not even first world problems, just deeply eccentric problems

i see nothing wrong about any of this or having eccentric interests for that matter...in fact i think its cool af - tho out of curiousity tho what exactly would u be doing with an underwater drone?

thx 4 making me ride into the city ln by the airport to wistfully watch the departures across the harbour and blast by overhead...happened to catch a couple 787s take off and fly by for the first time which are surprisingly quiet despite their size (i believe one was a charter flight as well, which really makes u wonder who the fk is behind such a thing).

also, right before leaving i caught what had to be these three helicopters in tight formation (seen in the vid below) that have apparently been buzzing around the city lately at very low altitude as part of some sort of hush-hush military training exercise thats been going on for the past few days - in fact i initially thought they were UAVs as they appeared to be just a hundred or so feet above the water and moving very fast...but it definitely had to be them - same sound with nothing seen aside from that red beacon light...ofc seeing the occasional black helicopter isnt that rare an occurrence but i definitely got some Deus Ex vibes seeing such a thing so unexpectedly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFlw4MsLBW8

:tinfoil:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mariana Horchata posted:

also, right before leaving i caught what had to be these three helicopters in tight formation (seen in the vid below) that have apparently been buzzing around the city lately at very low altitude as part of some sort of hush-hush military training exercise thats been going on for the past few days - in fact i initially thought they were UAVs as they appeared to be just a hundred or so feet above the water and moving very fast...but it definitely had to be them - same sound with nothing seen aside from that red beacon light...ofc seeing the occasional black helicopter isnt that rare an occurrence but i definitely got some Deus Ex vibes seeing such a thing so unexpectedly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFlw4MsLBW8

:tinfoil:

I watched the video and thought "some sort of Saint's Row Mission" - you should post that in the AI thread

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Nebakenezzer posted:

I watched the video and thought "some sort of Saint's Row Mission" - you should post that in the AI thread

ya i gotta get back in there it's been a while and i mostly just browse CA nowadays but thats a fine thread

p sure those are AH-6s btw and it looks like someone happened to record what i saw not too far from where i was based on this vids time and location

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8pW_c_Tz90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5g1rwCd4Fw

Mariana Horchata has issued a correction as of 01:52 on Jul 21, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
i spent all day playing through guacamelee, it's a pretty fun metroidvania, but ffuck that final boss fight, i gave up and watched the end on youtube after like 40 deaths

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

got any sevens posted:

i spent all day playing through guacamelee, it's a pretty fun metroidvania, but ffuck that final boss fight, i gave up and watched the end on youtube after like 40 deaths

reading that post is what i imagine having dyslexia is like

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Mariana Horchata posted:

reading that post is what i imagine having dyslexia is like

reading this post is what i imagine having :smug: is like :-P

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

reading this post is what i imagine having :smug: is like :-P

C O O K  O U T

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
balls flying at my face

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

i love how the orbs forcefield causes the enemys shots to ricochet wildly

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

:wom: sounds in my head fuckin with me. this is really good.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

got any sevens posted:

balls flying at my face

H.M.S. Edward Balls

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T87u5yuUVi8

Mariana Horchata has issued a correction as of 23:01 on Jul 22, 2017

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
that boiler room sig is super good merry

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

In the image thread the seal has been broken: a hot protestor

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Nebakenezzer posted:

In the image thread the seal has been broken: a hot protestor

i wasnt wearing my glasses and my mind is so hypernormalized (and :420:) that i thought that was a furry for the first few seconds

AverySpecialfriend posted:

that boiler room sig is super good merry

thanks!

have we met before? u seem 2 be a new face around here and elsewhere...if thats the case, greetings and welcome to C-SPAM

u seem to kno me already so heaven knos what sort of construct u have me but whatev idc, everything u have heard about me is prob true~

Mariana Horchata has issued a correction as of 23:43 on Jul 25, 2017

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Not sure which thread this should go in so I figure I'd ask here since this seems to be a catch-all politics thread:

Recently I was watching a Youtube video course about how Congress works. I was really interested in learning more about how exactly the Senate and the House of Representatives actually do their day-to-day business: the procedures, the rules, the jargon, et cetera. You'd think that there are probably some courses, books, or videos that go into depth about this stuff, right? Maybe I'm just searching for the wrong terms, but I couldn't find anything at all. This made me wonder: how exactly do the actual Congress people themselves learn how to actually do their jobs? Like, what exactly is in that curriculum or whatever?

I'm sure I'll just get bored and have my eyes glaze over after the first couple paragraphs or minute of any course or whatever, but it's still a topic I'm sure somebody out there has covered in depth at some point.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Love Stole the Day posted:

Not sure which thread this should go in so I figure I'd ask here since this seems to be a catch-all politics thread:

Recently I was watching a Youtube video course about how Congress works. I was really interested in learning more about how exactly the Senate and the House of Representatives actually do their day-to-day business: the procedures, the rules, the jargon, et cetera. You'd think that there are probably some courses, books, or videos that go into depth about this stuff, right? Maybe I'm just searching for the wrong terms, but I couldn't find anything at all. This made me wonder: how exactly do the actual Congress people themselves learn how to actually do their jobs? Like, what exactly is in that curriculum or whatever?

I'm sure I'll just get bored and have my eyes glaze over after the first couple paragraphs or minute of any course or whatever, but it's still a topic I'm sure somebody out there has covered in depth at some point.

sounds like you want a buncha tldr bullshit, i hear d&d is good at that :shrug;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VelS-YCtHV4

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Love Stole the Day posted:

same question, but for sexual congress

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

mormonpartyboat posted:

same question, but for sexual congress

to know such things first u must be tapped

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

cant wait to see whos comin up outta that grave

hope its jeb!

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Commando Hillary (and she's pissed off btw and headed to D.C.)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

spooky and cool dude

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
needs some ball lightning in the background...

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Mariana Horchata posted:

needs some ball lightning in the background...

ball lightning -> reanimate ball lightning is such a fun play

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

cock n balls lightning

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

ed m balls lightning

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

a moment of silence for bae mccain by 2020

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

a moment of silence for bae mccain by 2020

last nite i was extremely high and letting my mind wander while lying in the dark amid white noise and i eventually had a vision of ya boi McCain sitting alongside the Potomac alone in the middle of the nite smoking a giant doobie contemplating his life and looking slightly morose like that scene in FLCL but instead of never knows best it says straight talk express...then along comes Linds~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

• Locked thread