Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Person that owns that house is creepily scooting through the walls and peeping out from portraits above fireplaces.

Zoinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

As an aside, that "creek" is a manmade drainage or irrigation channel full of cattle pasture runoff, it is not a nice water feature.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

I would guess that a person who owns a house that valuable might not do his own mowing.

e. OK yeah that's a mannequin.

poo poo it is in the same spot in both photos.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Leperflesh posted:

I would guess that a person who owns a house that valuable might not do his own mowing.

e. OK yeah that's a mannequin.

I am going to guess that mowing his own lawn would be far too reasonable for whoever owns that house.

I suspect that he probably spends his time covered in wax pretending to be a mannequin in the bathroom or something.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Why would you have a mannequin on a lawn mower in your backyard? :psyduck:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Enfys posted:

Why would you have a mannequin on a lawn mower in your backyard? :psyduck:

This sounds like a win for HOAs to me.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
How big of a deal is aluminum wiring? We are looking at a house built in the late 60s which still has it. The owner is willing to have it replaced with copper but I'm sure it won't be a complete overhaul. Online articles are conflicting from 'no biggie' to 'uninsurable'.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

baquerd posted:

Feeling like redecorating? Consider child mannequins bolted to the ceilings! Of course, you can keep your other mannequins on the ground too, in every single floor and room.

http://www.har.com/4302-colony-west-dr/sale_78077894

Only 1.275 million!

:tif:

So the square footage is a factor but that house looks like it's in the middle of loving nowhere. Is super long distance exurb property in Texas really that valuable?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is it worth taking up peel-and-stick faux hardwood vinyl before putting real hardwood/pergo down?

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

howdoesishotweb posted:

How big of a deal is aluminum wiring? We are looking at a house built in the late 60s which still has it. The owner is willing to have it replaced with copper but I'm sure it won't be a complete overhaul. Online articles are conflicting from 'no biggie' to 'uninsurable'.

My stove wiring caught fire from the 48 year old aluminum wiring and every other 220V run was in equally bad shape. Aluminum has greater thermal expansion than copper and its corrosion is not conductive, which leads to old wiring on the heavier lines to become liabilities. My insurance covered the fire, but immediately dropped any coverage for future fires caused by the other runs.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Buca di Bepis posted:

So the square footage is a factor but that house looks like it's in the middle of loving nowhere. Is super long distance exurb property in Texas really that valuable?

It has a stream of cow poop and fertilizer running through the back yard. I think we know the cause of the owners mental illness.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

howdoesishotweb posted:

I would have them do a whole home rewire. That should get you to all modern niceties like ground, copper, gfci/afci, breakers that actually work, etc.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

howdoesishotweb posted:

Are the walls drywall, plaster over lathe, what? It can be a total bitch (and expensive) to replace depending on the house. I'd ask for replacement. And make sure it's done by an electrician per code and not some half-assed copper pigtail at the outlet bullshit that homeowners have been known to do in years past.

Unless the current owner finds a complete dummy offering all cash he/she is probably going to have trouble selling the house regardless (because this is a red flag to underwriters and insurers), so insist on it. Otherwise find a place that doesn't have this problem, or factor your own costs to replace it in your bid.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ixian posted:

factor your own costs to replace it in your bid.

This is what I'd do, personally. Find a contractor you like, get a quote from them, and ask for the quote amount to be cut from the house bid. You have far more of an incentive than the seller does to make sure the job is done properly.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Different insurers have different policies on aluminum wiring. Find out what yours is. Aluminum isn't the instant "no go" that knob and tube is, but it's got a lot of safety issues not present in copper, so you'll probably pay a lot more if you can get insured at all.

It's more likely to break than bend, it is more likely to arc if the bare wire is exposed anywhere, and if some dummy tries to connect it to copper without using the correct goop the connection will corrode and eventually (probably) cause a fire. I wouldn't let the seller replace it if it were me, since they have every incentive to fake it with new outlets and tails tied to old wiring. That, of course, would make the house more dangerous. Fun!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm pretty sure something died in the walls in one of my bedrooms. Smells like rotting death and I've checked everywhere within the room.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Tricky Ed posted:

Different insurers have different policies on aluminum wiring. Find out what yours is. Aluminum isn't the instant "no go" that knob and tube is, but it's got a lot of safety issues not present in copper, so you'll probably pay a lot more if you can get insured at all.

It's more likely to break than bend, it is more likely to arc if the bare wire is exposed anywhere, and if some dummy tries to connect it to copper without using the correct goop the connection will corrode and eventually (probably) cause a fire. I wouldn't let the seller replace it if it were me, since they have every incentive to fake it with new outlets and tails tied to old wiring. That, of course, would make the house more dangerous. Fun!

Exactly. Copper pigtails were, and are, common in older houses with homeowners looking for the cheap way out, and copper to aluminum connections are a pain to do correctly and easy to gently caress up. Requires special tools and doesn't really address the underlying potential problems.

Best bet, assuming the OP otherwise likes the house, is to get a true estimate from an electrician and factor that in to the bid. Otherwise the current homeowner, who is not going to give a single gently caress once they move out and will also be completely off the hook, is going to go for the easiest, quickest, and cheapest route.

This may mean the OP won't get the house - other gullible buyers not being in short supply - but if that is the case, count it as a bullet dodged and move on. I would not screw around where electric is involved (closely followed by foundation, and plumbing).

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Ixian posted:

Best bet, assuming the OP otherwise likes the house, is to get a true estimate from an electrician and factor that in to the bid... This may mean the OP won't get the house - other gullible buyers not being in short supply - but if that is the case, count it as a bullet dodged and move on. I would not screw around where electric is involved (closely followed by foundation, and plumbing).

If we were to pursue the house that would be our plan. I don't trust anyone else to fix it properly when there's no incentive. The house is actually back on the market because the previous offer walked away due to the wiring, despite offering to negotiate it into the bid. So the sellers are aware how big of a deal it is now.

We have a low threshold to walk away, so we're looking at a bunch of other properties today. It's our first house, nothing can go wrong rite guys :supaburn:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You probably don't have this option but I just filter out all houses older then 2009. That seems to be the point in my city that they hired real building inspectors for new construction and fired the guys you just bribe with a day old doughnut and a fifty.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That is an extremely market dependent strategy. If you did that near me, you would only see $800k+ homes or townhomes.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

howdoesishotweb posted:

If we were to pursue the house that would be our plan. I don't trust anyone else to fix it properly when there's no incentive. The house is actually back on the market because the previous offer walked away due to the wiring, despite offering to negotiate it into the bid. So the sellers are aware how big of a deal it is now.

We have a low threshold to walk away, so we're looking at a bunch of other properties today. It's our first house, nothing can go wrong rite guys :supaburn:

What's the square footage? I'd guess around 8-10k for a 2000sqf house, ballpark, for wiring (and switches, etc). Labor is the biggest part, of course, and some walls are almost certainly going to have to be opened up so there's repair for those, lot of cleanup, etc.

If the panel needs to be upgraded as well, to a 100-200amp, add maybe a couple grand. I'm guessing it will need to be but it's possible that was already done.

That's not terrible and will increase the value of the house overall, make it safer, and easier/cheaper to insure. Is it otherwise in good shape? How old is the roof?

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
To quote myself from the wood working thread (should probably have been posted here):

Rnr posted:

Currently constructing a 7m x 7m double car port. It's kinda nerve wrecking being the master of the build when I don't have expertise in any field involved, but I try my best. Yesterday evening I was drawing lines on the posts with a self levelling laser, to mark the floor level and then the roof height:

Today I measured some more and cut 5 of the 10 posts involved to height, again fun, but angst provoking. Who wants to be the guy the cuts too much off a post already anchored in concrete and 40 tons of gravel? But man am I enjoying the process and the finished 'house' will look awesome!

The above is one of the two 15cm x 15cm front posts, which hold most of the weight of the roof. These will have slots cut into them (those two cuts I'm saving for last) to mount the beam that will hold the pre built roof trusses. The posts on the back part of the structure are only 10cm x 10cm and the beam (I'm calling it beam, bot sure of the right english word here? Joist? It's two massive 11,5cm x 33,3cm, 7m long beams) will just rest on top of those. The back posts will also form corners of a shed in the back of the car port.

Anyways, just wanted to share some of my nervous energy :)

Anyways, with the help of my brother and two friends, I got the two 11,5x33,3x700 cm beams mounted (turned out 4 men was the minimum required to lift it in place) and we even mounted all the roof trusses and most of the rafters. Everything looks great and level, so I'm very happy now :)

Hydronium
Oct 23, 2008
I just met the owners of the house next to mine and they are Stone Cold Crazy.

The issue is bamboo: there's a thicket of it on the property line. Without weekly raking, my side yard will get completely covered in bamboo leaves. It also spreads under the fence--you whack it down to the ground and it's 3 feet high again before you know it. The main bulk of the bamboo is probably 25 feet tall on their side. It's jumped the sidewalk and is starting to colonize the city strip and the rest of their yard too.

The owners' father died back in January and since then the house has been unoccupied. They finally came over to do some yard work and I asked them about cutting it down (best option) or back (so I can put in a new fence). My boyfriend and the fellow they have watching the house would gladly do the work for free.

Their response:
- They're "not ready to make a decision on this yet"
- They only saw one shoot on my side of the fence, so it must not be that much of a problem (because we just whacked it back)
- The bamboo is a clumping type, not a spreading type (lol)
- "it's just such a huge project, we're taking things one at a time" ...despite two people volunteering to do the work for them, and for free
- I'm allowed to whack back the stuff on my side of the fence (no poo poo, thanks for your "permission")

The house is a dump with a yard full of invasive weeds. I got the impression they're dealing with their grief by keeping the house exactly as their dad had it. Objectively, cutting back the bamboo to put in a new fence will raise their property values, but they don't plan on renting or selling it.

Any advice? I know there's probably no way I can get my way over a bunch of loons sentimental over bamboo.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

That's a tough situation, but it might be worth calling your local code/zoning office. A lot of municipalities have ordinances against bamboo for precisely the reasons you're running into.

Also, I don't think you can really get rid of the stuff by just cutting back. You pretty much have to tear it out. If it's ultimately a lost cause, you can always put in a buried barrier on your side to keep it from getting out of hand on your side of the fence.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Sick of home warranty never fixing anything - dishwasher is running terribly yet again. Replacement brand recommendations? Currently have a 15 year old KitchenAid.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 30, 2017

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah there's no getting rid of that poo poo. My house had a clump of it and a year and a half after digging it up I keep finding shoots managing to come back. Everything I've read says I'll be finding it and killing it for the next five years until it finally starves itself.

Unless you can get your local municipality to put pressure on them, the best option is going to be cutting it back to your property line and driving an impermeable barrier between the bamboo and your yard. Thankfully bamboo rarely seeds, so if you can cut it back and contain it it won't spread any farther.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

mastershakeman posted:

Sick of home warranty never fixing anything - dishwasher is running terribly yet again. Replacement brand recommendations? Currently have a 15 year old KitchenAid.

What's your budget? We picked up a KitchenAid 354ESS during the last Black Friday sale, and love it so far. It's so quiet it's hard to tell when it's actually running.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

mastershakeman posted:

fancy bosch is nice and quiet

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hydronium posted:

The issue is bamboo:

I'm sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, but you are hosed: Bamboo is the rear end in a top hat of the plant kingdom. It will grow nearly anywhere that doesn't get frost, and some places that does, and will grow up, through, around, and inside of just about anything. It will destroy fences, sidewalks, foundations, pools, anything at all in its quest to turn sunlight into glucose and annoyance.

A friend had has a bamboo colony in a corner of his yard. It was planted by the previous owners, who at some point saw what was about to happen, and tried to kill it with saws. No dice, it kept coming back. So they did the only rational thing left to them; They poured a nine by nine foot concrete patio over it, four inches thick.

SUPRISE. The bamboo not only subsumed and destroyed the concrete patio pad, but now lives entirely encased in the concrete rubble remnants. It's like armored bamboo. That which can never die and everything.

gently caress bamboo forever and ever. China should rent out panda bears to exterminate that poo poo.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I live in Chicago, so my clump has survived multiple hard frosts. And everything I read indicated that pouring concrete over it is absolutely the wrong thing to do.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

A friend had has a bamboo colony in a corner of his yard. It was planted by the previous owners, who at some point saw what was about to happen, and tried to kill it with saws. No dice, it kept coming back. So they did the only rational thing left to them; They poured a nine by nine foot concrete patio over it, four inches thick.

My first reaction to this was "How?", but on reflection, it makes sense. Plants can continue to grow even without sunlight, so long as their energy reserves (in the roots and so on) hold out. And plants can absolutely ruin rocks and concrete if they feel like it. So by pouring concrete, sure you deprive the bamboo of any future energy, but you haven't stopped it, just slowed it down. You'd have to have kept it covered until its reserves ran out and it starved to death if you wanted to kill it.

My parents' neighbors planted a bamboo "privacy screen" against their fence, and once a year I have to come by and help them whack back massive amounts of bamboo that are hanging over the fence and obstructing their walkways. This year my dad just dosed the entire stand with glyphosphate; we'll see if that helps.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

It won't.

Hydronium
Oct 23, 2008
Ugh, I have experience with bamboo. My dad has been waging war against a massive patch for the past 15 years. I was hoping an aggressive digging/mowing regimen would at least control it from spreading further into my yard and dropping leaves everywhere. At least I'd want to cut it down for long enough to get that new fence in.

My city (Portland OR) doesn't have anything other than a general ordinance requiring properties to be in "good repair"... I'll give them a call to see if anything can be done but I'm sure the answer will be no.

There's also a bunch of dead trees on the property line and a 6' wall of blackberries. I can't even imagine the fight they're going to put up about that.

Boyfriend brought up a good point--looking at the house, it seems like the father might have been some sort of hoarder. He apparently raised poodles in there for years and years and the interior is still damaged from it. Their irrational reaction to simple landscaping problems seems like it might be informed by that. The guy tending to the house says they won't even let him trim the bushes blocking the front windows.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Here are some decent control tips

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/weeds/hgic2320.html

1: dig up the top 12" of soil to remove active roots
2: an 18" barrier should impede progress
3: glyphosate applied properly and over time should kill stragglers

More glyphosate tips: http://www.roundup.com/smg/goART3/Howto/how-to-get-rid-of-bamboo/27800029

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hydronium posted:

Ugh, I have experience with bamboo. My dad has been waging war against a massive patch for the past 15 years. I was hoping an aggressive digging/mowing regimen would at least control it from spreading further into my yard and dropping leaves everywhere. At least I'd want to cut it down for long enough to get that new fence in.

My city (Portland OR) doesn't have anything other than a general ordinance requiring properties to be in "good repair"... I'll give them a call to see if anything can be done but I'm sure the answer will be no.

There's also a bunch of dead trees on the property line and a 6' wall of blackberries. I can't even imagine the fight they're going to put up about that.

Boyfriend brought up a good point--looking at the house, it seems like the father might have been some sort of hoarder. He apparently raised poodles in there for years and years and the interior is still damaged from it. Their irrational reaction to simple landscaping problems seems like it might be informed by that. The guy tending to the house says they won't even let him trim the bushes blocking the front windows.

I would take it easy, and work on establishing a good relationship first. Probably your neighbors are overwhelmed and don't want to deal with things, and that may persist but it may not. Give them a little while, and then try suggesting things in as non-confrontational manner as possible. Maybe they're still dealing with the death of the father, maybe there's fights within the family over what to do with the home, I dunno. They're just not ready to deal with things yet, and that includes changes requested by a neighbor even if they don't cost anything.

If you can't get any progress or traction in six months, that's the point where you maybe start escalating the pressure.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I would take it easy, and work on establishing a good relationship first. Probably your neighbors are overwhelmed and don't want to deal with things, and that may persist but it may not. Give them a little while, and then try suggesting things in as non-confrontational manner as possible. Maybe they're still dealing with the death of the father, maybe there's fights within the family over what to do with the home, I dunno. They're just not ready to deal with things yet, and that includes changes requested by a neighbor even if they don't cost anything.

If you can't get any progress or traction in six months, that's the point where you maybe start escalating the pressure.

This right here. They are likely grieving and even more likely this home is stuck in probate and it's ugly. Those "owners" (hint, they are not - the estate still owns it) are only some of the "owners" and are afraid to do a drat thing right now because there is too much drama.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

I need help identifying some wires that are on the outside of my house. The house is from 1951, and I think they might be landline wires (I hope so, I'd really like to get rid of them). Can anyone tell me what they are? And if they are telephone wires, how to I figure out who to call to have them removed? Thanks!

Box on wall one wire connects to:

Wires heading from the house to the telephone pole (or electrical pole, I guess):

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pipistrelle posted:

I need help identifying some wires that are on the outside of my house. The house is from 1951, and I think they might be landline wires (I hope so, I'd really like to get rid of them). Can anyone tell me what they are? And if they are telephone wires, how to I figure out who to call to have them removed? Thanks!

Box on wall one wire connects to:

Wires heading from the house to the telephone pole (or electrical pole, I guess):

Sure looks like telco to me. Open the box and find out! There are two screws there, one you can open at will as it's your side of the demarc, the other is the telco side of the demarc which you will use a different tool to open.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

H110Hawk posted:

Sure looks like telco to me. Open the box and find out! There are two screws there, one you can open at will as it's your side of the demarc, the other is the telco side of the demarc which you will use a different tool to open.

I opened it but honestly I don't know what I'm looking for, and there's no identifying information on who owns it. Do I call around? Talk to the city and see if there's an easement and find out who owns it that way? Thanks, it's my first house and I'm still learning a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there really any issue with cutting out all the wires and removing the boxes yourself? I have a whole rat's nest of telephone and alarm system wiring on the backside of my house that I want to remove.