Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

it's 10% faster recovery per month
:what: Thats pretty worthless lmao. If it doesnt change the resting point the bonus needs to be 20 or 25 percent - 10 might as well not be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's not that bad, it's another free -10 interaction with each cycle. I agree it'd be more interesting if it was a higher resting point instead though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

It's not that bad, it's another free -10 interaction with each cycle. I agree it'd be more interesting if it was a higher resting point instead though.
You're not wrong, but it means you have to be even more precise. I guess it lets you re-arrange your Estate's provinces slightly more often, too. I just feel that things like that, that have such a small impact, should be a larger %. In this case even if it changed the resting point to 55 rather than 50 I think it would be better than recovering from being below 50 to get towards 50 faster, or if it means that you also regressed down to 50 slower.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Thats the point. Name any battle in History in the EU timeframe: No, reinforcements did not march from anywhere but a maybe a few miles away to join the battle, because the battles did not last weeks and there was no all-knowing person or AI controlling the movement of other armies.

I think 'battles' are supposed to be an abstraction of multiple battles and campaigning taking place in the region over 'time period x'.

But yeah, it feels weird sometimes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kaza42 posted:

A common complaint seems to be that battles last too long. The days per phase (default 3) is in defines, so would anything break if you were to mod the days per phase to be 2 or even 1? That would drastically cut down on battle length while leaving all other numbers intact.

Yeah I don't think the battle system itself really needs to change, just that they need to be time compressed. I would be very curious what the effects would be of cutting days per phase to 1, and upping damage inflicted per phase to compensate.

Dance Officer posted:

You should consider that battles that take 1/3rd of the normal time will also be much harder to send reinforcements into.

That is precisely the idea.

I despise the current army meta where you want to have multiple armies nearby and then cycle them in progressively to keep morale up and hopefully hammer away at weakened units, it's just so micro-ey and generally lovely; other people seem to agree. It's cooler in say, Victoria, where that kind of thing became the actual real-life meta at Verdun, but it's very out of place in EU, set in a period where the ability to coordinate and move armies was far worse. This is the period where it took one of the most professional forces on earth three and a half months to move from Edirne to Vienna, through friendly, prepared terrain.

Koramei posted:

Yeah higher resting point would be way nicer.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 20, 2017

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I would take a +1 to the resting point over a +10% to loyalty recovery.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

I think 'battles' are supposed to be an abstraction of multiple battles and campaigning taking place in the region over 'time period x'.
Thats what I tried to convince myself of but I think it should play out differently if it is not a pitched battle the whole duration of the "battle". Scouting, manuevering, ambushing, skirmishing, and all that should be a factor, rather than instant and continuous Shock/Fire phases for the whole duration of the battle.

I would also like to point out that I think I am overly critical of the battle system because they have improved so many of the other aspects of the game and the things that have not changed / been updated or revamped are more and more glaring :v:.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Koramei posted:

I like the battles and combat system in this game a lot. Not saying there aren't improvements to be made, and maybe a slight quickening of battles would be among them, but I think completely removing the ability to reinforce in the name of "realism" would be a really bad thing.

The last multiplayer game I was in had absolutely ridiculous late-game battles that lasted months so everybody had time to bring in their reinforcements to extend the battle even more so both sides ended up having hundreds of thousands of combatants. Making battles resolve faster would help prevent stuff like this from becoming commonplace:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Mountaineer posted:

The last multiplayer game I was in had absolutely ridiculous late-game battles that lasted months so everybody had time to bring in their reinforcements to extend the battle even more so both sides ended up having hundreds of thousands of combatants. Making battles resolve faster would help prevent stuff like this from becoming commonplace:

Spain may have won that fight, but Prussia kicked the ever-loving crap out of them first. If Spain hadn't been able to pour in over a million soldiers to replace the half a million who had already died; they'd have lost badly. I wonder how many of those casualties are from attrition.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

One of those numbers look a little unbalanced. :v:

I haven't such ridiculous sizes since way back.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

LLSix posted:

Spain may have won that fight, but Prussia kicked the ever-loving crap out of them first. If Spain hadn't been able to pour in over a million soldiers to replace the half a million who had already died; they'd have lost badly. I wonder how many of those casualties are from attrition.

Check the prestige gain. It looks like Spain did lose that battle.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I like how almost 800000 people died and it was still only worth 0.06 prestige.

AnoHito posted:

Check the prestige gain. It looks like Spain did lose that battle.
The Spanish Inquisition is no match for the Prussian spess mehreens!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Poil posted:

I like how almost 800000 people died and it was still only worth 0.06 prestige.

If only one of their generals had had Glory Seeker!!

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Ming colonized and made tributaries of every single native. I was trying to kill their mandate as japan by just annexing all the tributaries but jesus gently caress Mandate.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
H-how did I become a great power with Majapahit in 1493?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Linear Zoetrope posted:

~*~*~SPICE TRADE~*~*~

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Too Poetic posted:

Ming colonized and made tributaries of every single native. I was trying to kill their mandate as japan by just annexing all the tributaries but jesus gently caress Mandate.

... what? I thought that no one could form tributaries outside of Asia

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Wrong. They will never be able to make new world tributaries in most games because they are too far away. But if they take exploration, sooner or later they may have new world colonies, and then that is no longer a problem and you can run into a bizarre situation where the Andean or Mexican minors survive into the 18th century because nobody wants to piss the Ming off by attacking them. It's probably really annoying if you are trying to play a colonizer, but it is amusing as an alternate history scenario. I don't know if Ming will actually ship any number of dudes across the Pacific to defend them though.

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.

QuarkJets posted:

The requirement for being able to create tributaries are being of the Eastern Religious group, a horde or the Emperor of China if I am correct? There is no requirement the tributary nation need to fulfill to become a tributary.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

skasion posted:

Wrong. They will never be able to make new world tributaries in most games because they are too far away. But if they take exploration, sooner or later they may have new world colonies, and then that is no longer a problem and you can run into a bizarre situation where the Andean or Mexican minors survive into the 18th century because nobody wants to piss the Ming off by attacking them. It's probably really annoying if you are trying to play a colonizer, but it is amusing as an alternate history scenario. I don't know if Ming will actually ship any number of dudes across the Pacific to defend them though.

the yellow peril is real

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah Ming taking Exploration is really annoying because then they'll have tributaries in the Americas and Africa.

Ming AI is really aggressive about requesting tributary status so basically any small nation less than half a continent away from any Ming province will probably get tributaried.

It's never been a well balanced or fun mechanic.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I don't like how common non-Europeans taking exploration is in general. I'd love to see it every now and then, but these days all of Southeast Asia gets filled out by the Malayan and Indonesian tags in pretty much all of my games, it's a little boring.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Koramei posted:

I don't like how common non-Europeans taking exploration is in general. I'd love to see it every now and then, but these days all of Southeast Asia gets filled out by the Malayan and Indonesian tags in pretty much all of my games, it's a little boring.

Agreed. Honestly I think AI colonization could stand to be reduced a bit in general, it's not at all uncommon for every colonizable province in the world to be taken by endgame.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

At least Siberia isn't 100% Iberia in every single game. :v:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Poil posted:

S-Iberia. It makes sense.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Poil posted:

For real, even just giving Russia Siberian Frontiers is a fantastic change.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

In my current Nepal -> Bharat game, it's 1548 and the Ottomans are already colonizing next to Brunei and in Australia :v: and I regularly see Ming colonizing around, too. It's a little annoying, at this rate I will not see europeans at all probably

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Jesus, I remember why I usually don't play in the HRE, even the shittiest little rear end in a top hat state has 10k troops and a max level fort on their capital and they constantly fire mercs at you like it's going out of style. It's not difficult to deal with, it's just extremely annoying and makes every war into a slog.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I just had a session with an normal sized Aragon losing all it's mp and running with ~45 mercs between 1526 and 1538 or so. 4 years of those were being at war with me.

How in the hell did they not bankrupt.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Aragon has mercenary discounts in its ideas, if it took admin they'd be barely above the cost of regular troops.

EDIT: Scratch that, I had the cost of mercs off, Aragon would be "merely" paying twice as much as for regular troops in that case.

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 22, 2017

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Linear Zoetrope posted:

All the starts around the Spice Islands are extremely strong and good, even the OPMs. Majapahit is one of the best.

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005
Ming is such absolute bullshit right now. I fought them with a 20% discipline advantage, .3 tactics advantage, and 1.1 morale advantage in mountain/forest forts and my best fight was . They started the war with 0 manpower because the garbage ai literally loving sat its entire army in Beijing and magicked up over 80k over the course of the war from tributaries. I plundered half of northern China and have 200 less dev than them and they still have positive mandate. MoH is honestly the worst dlc paradox has released this generation.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

DeeEmTee posted:

Ming is such absolute bullshit right now. I fought them with a 20% discipline advantage, .3 tactics advantage, and 1.1 morale advantage in mountain/forest forts and my best fight was . They started the war with 0 manpower because the garbage ai literally loving sat its entire army in Beijing and magicked up over 80k over the course of the war from tributaries. I plundered half of northern China and have 200 less dev than them and they still have positive mandate. MoH is honestly the worst dlc paradox has released this generation.

dang you edited before I could make an extremely clever "TAke a look, y'all" joke

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

reignonyourparade posted:

Aragon has mercenary discounts in its ideas, if it took admin they'd be barely above the cost of regular troops.

EDIT: Scratch that, I had the cost of mercs off, Aragon would be "merely" paying twice as much as for regular troops in that case.

They had economic. So they spent 1300-1500 ducats hiring some 40+ merc infantry, and then probably spent more than their income on interest and upkeep for several years.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

1714 in my Third Way attempt....

I have a 15 year truce with the Ottomans and I am about to take another chunk out of Tunis. Tunis had Exploration and had a big colony in Columbia, which France just took, so I may be screwed even if I can conquer all of the Ottomans. Orissa, Russia, and Austria are my allies.

I have three armies of ~70k and I stackwiped half of the armies I fought in the hellwar vs Ottomans, France, and Bohemia. I wish I knew that Russia, Bohemia, and/or Austria would attack the Ottomans on their own if I went at them hard and crush them in the next go-round.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 23, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That border in North India :discourse:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

1714 in my Third Way attempt....

I have a 15 year truce with the Ottomans and I am about to take another chunk out of Tunis. Tunis had Exploration and had a big colony in Columbia, which France just took, so I may be screwed even if I can conquer all of the Ottomans. Orissa, Russia, and Austria are my allies.

I have three armies of ~70k and I stackwiped half of the armies I fought in the hellwar vs Ottomans, France, and Bohemia. I wish I knew that Russia, Bohemia, and/or Austria would attack the Ottomans on their own if I went at them hard and crush them in the next go-round.

Did Austria and Portugal team up to take down Spain? That's weird.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LLSix posted:

I wonder if some PU shenanigans happened there

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QuarkJets posted:

LLSix posted:

I wonder if some PU shenanigans happened there
Shenanigans is the key phrase. Castille PU'd Aragon, then lost it somehow but kept Naples. Then, much later on, Austria got a PU over Aragon, who had been eating Castille, because Castille was getting beaten down by Tunis of all people.
The one time I want Castille and Portugal to be invading North Africa like they do 90% of my other games...

RabidWeasel posted:

That border in North India :discourse:
Orissa owns all of the East Aryan / Nepalese land; I own all of the Hindustani culture group land. Brosefs 4 lyfe. We've beaten up Ming together so many times. We got Ming's Mandate down to like 60% the one time, but then I realized that Ming isnt Muslim and I am going for Third Way. I may not get the achievement because I was having too much fun dumpstering Ming over and over.

I have disinherited FIVE heirs, each because they have 3 points or fewer, always zero in admin. Either I have really lovely luck or the game occasionally says "time for a bad ruler, get hosed".
I have 99.5 Army Tradition.I spent 900 Mil MPs on recruiting generals and didnt get one three star among them :thumbsup:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

LLSix posted:

You want weird? In my second Third Way attempt, Wallachia ate Poland. I love when the AI goes for achievements.

• Locked thread