Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

You'll notice that I very rarely actually bother resting early at night. It has a few small niche uses, but they don't come up overly often. I'll probably do it more often now that we have maxed out Courage and all, since there's no reason or benefit to stay Tired any more.

Want To Be Close (Reincarnation) / Time

Hey, are you looking into that ghost story?
A little...
I know you're lying, man. As for me, I've got better things to do... I say just leave it to Yuka-tan.
Besides, I have plenty of scary stories up my sleeve.
I bet you pissed your pants when you heard that story the other night. They say it's true, though.

Today seems like a light and relaxing day, and it mostly is. Mostly. We'll be spending some time at Student Council stuff I guess, almost entirely so I don't forget it exists until way later.

That you can't find Hidetoshi hanging out anywhere to talk to instead somehow does that. I'unno.

Joy

After that weirdly ominous message, the nonspecific teacher up and leaves just moments before we enter on-screen. Sure.

Hey, what did he mean by "for both our sakes"? What's he talking about?
He just wants to create a better school environment, so he offered to help us.
Just like how the President asked Makoto-kun to join Student Council.
What!? You can't decide something like that without the President's permission!

> He is staring at Hidetoshi.

What happened?

...and th-that teacher wants us to look for the one who did it...

> Chihiro spoke in a hushed tone...

...Look. you have two choices. Either help out and prove you're trustworthy, or refuse and raise suspicion.

I think that's quite the false dichotomy you just presented there, Hidetoshi.

We sure have to deal with a lot of B.S. around here, don't we Makoto-kun?

> It seems like Hidetoshi is counting on you.

> Your relationship is stronger now!

And just like that, Hidetoshi walks off to... probably do some detective work or something.

Needless to say, the unimportant unnamed guy here takes umbrage with that.

...Teacher's pet!

> He chases after Hidetoshi.

Not really our problem though, especially if he's really all that unimaginative.

I-I better go tell the President...!

> You decided to go home.

Yeah, you go have fun with that I guess, Chihiro.

Iwatodai Dorm

We're just gonna go chill at the dorm for the time being.

It's so true... These girls came up to me and started talking about those rumors and...
...I got such a headache. Ugh, I can't wait until those rumors go away.

They're all just wasting their time.

I think if you talk to random folks around the school, they do mention stuff related to this. It's not particularly interesting or worth our time and effort really though.

No, I didn't.
That's what I thought. You seem like you're too busy to be bothered with ghost stories.

Yes, busy. That's it.

However, there is still no explanation for it.
So I believe it's worth researching. Please let me know what you find out.

However, experts predict that there won't be as much rain, leading to water shortages in the summer. For our next story...

We'll take another look at the Apathy Syndrome. There are now over 70 cases, and...

Let's see, right now we're running very close to a full moon and the deadline for one request is uncomfortably closer...

The Voice Someone Calls

So, back to Tartarus we go!

Also got these neat new shoes that give a whole buncha evasion. Thanks, Tanaka! Definitely gonna give these to, uh, Junpei? Yeah, sure, Junpei.

And a new piece of armor for Yukari, and only Yukari. It's not
quite as defensive as the High-Cut Armor, but it doesn't have awkward cosmetic changes and it's not much worse. Apron it is!

tartarus_0d02

So, let's see if we can finish off Arqa this time around, yeah? Or at least most of what remains. We could probably come back once more before we run out of time for the Old Document if we really need to at least.

Apparently there are different Shadows as of the 27th floor, according to Mitsuru. There is exactly one new Shadow from this point and some of the low level chaff is removed so we have 5 less Shadows now than before, overall.

Dekaja in item-form is theoretically nice. It removes debuffs from the enemy, sure, but they have a short finite duration in this game, the AI isn't super great about remembering to refresh them when it's necessary and besides there aren't many buffs we can't counter otherwise anyway. Dekaja and Dekunda aren't super-great for once, but have their moments.

Sadly, there's not overly much new between the Crying Tables and our next pit stop along the way up Tartarus this time around.

That's not to say there's nothing of course. We can find some nice new things in the briefcases around here.

Like this, it's a decent armour upgrade for most people and this one rolled a +1 to Strength as its added effect. I'm gonna give this one to Akihiko.

Attack Items are kind of... not super great? Their damage keys off your active persona, so this one could be useful between Auto-Tarukaja and Ice Boost but it still wouldn't be all that great or anything. Later on I'll probably just sell these.

On the 30th floor, Mitsuru finally can tell that we have a boss fight some ways ahead. Since no one is even close to Tired yet, we should be able to get there pretty easily.

And even if we literally just get there and nothing else, I'm not sure I'd call this one a waste of time.

Powerful new bow for Yukari AND a chance to inflict Panic? She doesn't use her basic attack often or anything but this is still very nice.

Mitsuru, no. Wrong. Bad. That is the worst idea! Remember, you get Tired by the number of fights you do. 10 fights on this floor of Arqa (31) is the same as 10 fights on floor 2. Except worse because it's less worthwhile.

Speaking of worthwhile, hello there Little Golden Friend. Let's say hi!

Mass Destruction / Wiping All Out

With rare shadows, it's generally a good idea to know the turn order in advance. They always go first so if they stick around past there, you really want to not let them get a second chance to flee.

They're unscannable but whatever. As a rare shadow, they're weak to a random element and should be immune to Expel/Curse.

Not like it really matters though. Rare shadows generally follow a simple stat pattern: 99 Agility and Luck but 1 in everything else. Including Endurance. So a basic attack from anyone can effortlessly tear through them if it hits.

Treasure Coins are 100% worth getting here. The Wealth Coin was kind of relatively "eh" at 3000 yen but this is a major step up. Since they sell for 10,000. And we'll be leaving Tartarus today with 3 of these things. :getin:

Oh and the one actual new shadow is a Raven. They can cast Garula but that's not really a big deal. What is a big deal is that in FES they can use this:

This one's a bad example since it's Panicked but, uh, if it wasn't?

Yeah, that just did over 80 damage to Akihiko. With a Light Pierce attack. They didn't have Double Fangs in the original release, instead opting to have Dodge Pierce instead. This change makes them actually kinda threatening instead of an annoying inconvenience. I approve!

tartarus_0d02

Floor 33 puts us almost to the boss fight, it seems. I was going to snarkily say that the "estimate" is accurate because it's wrong but uh, no, it's not. Mitsuru is actually right; the fixed floor is floor 36 and I misremembered slighly.

There's four possible rare treasures in Arqa, and they're all equipment this time around. Three of them are exclusive to the area from floor 17-24 so once you hit the Crying Tables this is the only rare treasure you can find from then on.

It gives you Counter even if your Persona doesn't have it, which is something I guess? It sells for 4000 yen though, so I might end up doing that instead if we get another.

On floor 36 we have one shadow instead of three, huh? That's a bit weird but also worrying. The Rampage Drive in Thebel was by far the most dangerous thing in the block and he came alone...

This thing looks kind of like a statue, but don't let that deceive you...

Not because it's secretly made of paper or anything, oh no.

Empress Change Relic (Portable) (Portable Special)

Master of Tartarus / Danger Zone

So, fun fact about this fight. The Wiki in its infinite badness recommends being level 17 for this fight. That's ridiculous and would take forever; we're currently level 13 and have been fighting just about everything along the way. Yeaaaaaah.

Anyway, the Change Relic is very powerful and almost unfair in her strong meanness. We're gonna want to debuff her immediately and try to keep at least one buff or debuff active basically the entire fight if possible.

See, this is another fight that kind of hates Junpei for some reason. I don't know what it is about this guy but Tartarus really does not like him existing.

No, she doesn't resist Slash. She's just THAT durable. She has 20 Endurance which at this point is kind of a lot!

Akihiko right now is stronger than Junpei and Sonic Punch has a higher base damage than Cleave anyway (70 vs 30).

...It doesn't deal that much more damage, though.

So, the Change Relic is KINDA mean. She's not the first Shadow with mid-tier spells (Dancing Hands and Vicious Ravens have access to Bufula and Garula respectively, for example) but she is way, way stronger than either of them could pretend to be.

This is vs Neutral resistance following a Tarunda. Yes, really. I told you this fight hates Junpei and this is half of it.

The other half is that she has 22 Magic. loving hell.

Despite that, Yukari could probably solo this fight if that was an option. Probably. It still wouldn't be easy, but she's still gonna be stuck on healing duty here because the Siren's Song alone would not make this fast in a damage race.

Because, naturally, the Change Relic is immune to Wind. She also has no weaknesses, and nulls Expel and Curse, of course. I'm fairly sure she's immune to pretty much every ailment we would think of using right now. I'm sure there's one or two that might work but they likely wouldn't help much anyway.

Like so with the Shock. Junpei having Rakukaja kind of helps but if he's using it, that's realy a wasted turn of his.

Now, Shock IS kinda useful since it boosts our Crit rate and she CAN be critted giving us an AOA which is 100% worth taking in almost all situations here. Although if its Makoto who knocks her down and her turn is immediately after his then you pass on it, of course.

Anyway, the rest of her moveset is kind of mean and nasty too. Magarula is kinda sorta terrifying to consider for the most part.

The smallest of mercies with it is that she cannot get One Mores out of it (in vanilla/FES), because it's multi-target. I completely spaced on this before but a MT spell needs to hit every target's weakness for that to be possible.

Poison Mist is a thing that she'll either really like to spam or mostly ignore for a while. Neither is particularly ideal but a turn spent on this is a turn spent not almost certainly murdering someone.

She only has 10 Luck anyway, and it has a base 25% success rate, so it an work out really well. It can also lock you down superhard if it hits everyone.

So, remeber what I said before about her being a statue potentialy being deceptive? Yeah, uh, turns out Relics are secretly iron maidens. She "only" has 14 Strength which is something we can at least outdo without absurd grinding at least.

Speaking of which...

No, I'm not gonna do that, that's dumb. Instead, I'm gonna try out the weaker alternative. See, the wiki recommends going to level 17 because that's when you get a strong Persona that resists Wind (...you also get one at 15, for what it's worth; I even use Gurr in the Portable videos!). If you're gonna do that though, should just go a little further to 18 and grab the first that nulls Wind instead. Don't, though, that's dumb. Real dumb.

If you're a sensible person and think that level of batshit stupidity is too much (hi), it reommends Alp instead. That's ridiculous and wrong and let's see why.

Many people also recommend benching Junpei. More understandable beause his weakness can get you killed dead, but I still disagree.

So, Alp. This is without Tarunda but is on a Resistance. Yes, it takes the damage down from ~130 to ~100. Yukari meanwhile is over there taking like 15 at most. Alp sucks, gently caress Alp.

Just in case you get too debuff happy as well, the Change Relic CAN cast Dekunda in some rare niche cases. Usually if you stack all 3 or if one wears off and there's another still active, but she doesn't do it often though.

The real main man I brought for this rodeo is one of the Grand Dukes of Hell, Berith. 16 Strength is likely the best we're gonna get here, and he can buff and debuff quite liberally. Double Fangs can help a bunch if you Rakunda the Relic early since it'll take off ~100 of her 850HP which saves a ton of time. Rebellion is also pretty nice for if you wanna go Crit Fishing, which I legitimately considered trying at one point (but didn't) just to save time.

(She also has 500SP, so don't bother trying to wait that out.)

Now, even with Neutral resistance to Wind and 15 Endurance, Berith is still not gonna make this fight a cakewalk. He's mostly gonna be running support, honestly.

So, most of the damage is gonna come from Aki and Junpei using their strengths to wear her down. Yukari is gonna focus on patching people up where she can and Makoto's gonna be throwing out debuffs mainly.

It doesn't add MUCH damage on any given hit, but it adds up pretty fast.

It's about a 25% damage increase from just Rakuda alone, which is pretty dang nice honestly.

Completely wrong gem to try and use, but it's also a Mid-Tier spell and she's Neutral to Fire so let's see how well this works!

Oh, that's... kinda underwhelming, really. Shoulda just used Double Fangs instead.

You'll notice that I'm playing real fast and loose here. I don't really bother curing the Poison right now since it's not worth the hassle. It saps our health really quick, sure, and when combined with Physical skills makes Yukari's healing somewhat less reliable but it's fine, we got this.

...There's really no point in holding onto these things, honestly. We're low on health, a Magarula now would kill everything except Yukari and we'll get plenty more anyway so whatever.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the Change Relic can be an annoyance and cast Rakukaja sometimes. Usually only starts when she gets below half health and will occasionally try and make sure it sticks around so she CAN waste turns if you immediately Rakunda afterwards.

When she gets low on health, she might also cast Dia. Normal, base Dia mercifully. It heals less than Akihiko and Junpei can do per round, so it's really not a big deal. It just drags things out a little big longer.

I probably spent way too long talking about this fight, but for my money the Change Relic might just be one of the more dangerous Tartarus bosses overall? She's super mean for when she's placed, could easily oneshot anyone if she really wanted you, your supplies are sort of dependant on luck with item drops and while she can be made pretty easy it requires either being super overlevelled or coming way later when you can replace Junpei with someone else. Who is probably going to be overlevelled for this fight anyway.

...The Coin of Queen is a Persona stat boost. +3 Agility, +2 Luck. It's kinda nice but Agility is, in my opinion, the least wortwhile stat so it could be way better.

End

tartarus_0d02

Now that the fight's over, we'll cure the poison, heal up and carry on. Could totally have ignored it, warped down to the 1st floor and then come back as good as new but uh... I kinda forgot. :v:

Treasure here is sort of nice. The Soma is fantastic and is absolutely part of why I felt no shame in using a Bead Chain since this is way better.

Traesto Gem is nice but fairly eh. It's got its uses, but the Access Point usually isn't hard to find if you really want to get out anyway.

So, heading on up we go! We're still only level 13 just to give you an idea of how ridiculous that grind to level 17 would be.

We only see Shuffle Time persona upto level 14 at this point (hi Pyro Jack, I'd recognise your silhouette anywhere!) so we're firmly around where we're expected to be right now. We will hit 14 before leaving at least.

It happens the same time as Makoto finally gets Tired, which is... inconvenient but really not a big deal.

Especially since we're at the end of the block already. Huh. This was definitely longer than Thebel, sure, but we only had two boss fights.

Definitely not complaining, mind you. I'd rather this be the end than needing to faff around again on the 5th or 6th just to finish off the last few dregs.

I am beginning to see a bit of a trend with how these things go, though. If the 3rd block...

...when we can get into it... follows the trend, then I'll feel much more confident in it. Gotta wait to test that out, though.

The Poem For Everyone's Soul

You may be wondering how these documents ended up in such an unusual place...
I believe that answer lies within the tower.

That is a great non-answer, Liz.

Please accept your reward.

A 100% heal on revive is nice and all, but it really doesn't work out as equivalent to getting to the Old Document.

Oh well, level 14 means we can make Zouchouten, who kinda owns. Wouldn't have brought him to the Change Relic despite that though, thanks to that Wind weakness. Still 18 Strength + Assault Dive (reminder: base power of 90!) is kinda terrifying when coupled with Rakunda and that we have Berith and Yomotsu Shikome for Auto-Tarukaja purposes. He's definitely gonna see a lot of general combat use, I reckon.

Not right now, though. We'll stick with Berith for the time being since it's marginally quicker. Gonna run through Thebel solo to try and find something.

...Huh, found the little bastard on the first cycle immediately on the 4th floor. Totally okay with that!

Since we're here, we might as well finish up at least one of the two outstanding requests we have left.

It's a relatively quick one and honestly if I did these sooner, it might've made the Change Relic easier but meh. It can be a tedious pain to track down rare shadows.

That Shadow is very rare, so I'm sure the item was difficult to obtain.
This time, I have a special reward for you.
It may look like a toy, but I'm sure you'll find it useful.

This really is VERY useful!

As an added bonus, since this is part of a quest chain, we can go onto the second one already. Definitely gonna do that now, we are still in Tartarus and all...

But mainly just because these rewards are insanely useful, holy poo poo. I'm gonna hold onto this for now, but I will give it to Yukari later. For the moment, it's best in our hands.

...Also found this guy on the first run through Arqa. Definitely okay with that!

Yes, that was a basic attack while Tired. I know he has 1 Endurance but gently caress me sideways nearly 400 damage is ludicrous right now.

We just need 1 of these, so we're done already too. Hurray!

Also grab this while on the way out. I totally forget to see if it's better than what we have or not though, oops.

The Treasure Hand is more difficult to defeat than the Wealth Hand, is it not?
I never thought you'd be able to fulfill this request.

See the Toy Bow above? Yeah, it's that but a 2h Sword this time. Definitely gonna give this to Junpei when we get the chance!

We can even see the 3rd quest in the chain already. We'll deal with this when we get access to the 3rd block, of course.

For now, we'll leave Tartarus and come back when we have a Pyro Jack to get that request done I guess. Until then, a full moon approaches but we have a decent chunk of downtime still. We should probably relax for a bit now.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dragonatrix posted:

Hi, I'm a filler post. Please ignore me

I refuse. :colbert:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Weird to go from 'jokey ha-ha toy bow, ha who'd ever use this?' to NAIL STUDDED BAT and have them be totally equal too.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yeah, I'm not sure you're quite expected to get them yet either since they're straight up better than anything we can get for a while. :v:

Understandable because rare Shadows are kind of a pain to deal with, so most sensible people wouldn't bother. (Un)Fortunately, I'm not most sensible people.

thanks rohan

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011
That toy bow was a godsend when I played through this game. I always assumed they put it in so early as a crutch for players new to the series like me.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

After the fairly lengthy stretch in Tartarus before, we'll be spending the next few days definitely just relaxing with folks. Definitely.

This sucks... I spent so much time thinking about ghost stories that now I'm having nightmares...
Don't overdo it.
Don't worry. I'm fine.
But, there's so many stupid rumors going around that it's tough to put them all together.
I did get some useful information, though. I'm gonna look into it more today.

Yeah, good luck with that I guess. We're not gonna bother because there's no reason for us to care.

But, hey, since we are Tired we should try and get rid of that in a way that doesn't use time. If possible.

It's really unlikely to get a condition improvement from the bathroom, but somehow we snagged it the first try. I was fully expecting to need to opt for that in lieu of studying tonight, so that's useful.

But, hey, we've got a Justice Persona now so we can make some progress with Chihiro I guess.

Joy

That's honestly kind of impressive. Like, I'm really curious how that even happened!

I was chosen for this job without my consent... I never asked to be Treasurer...

...That just raises further questions!

...B-But, if I didn't join Student Council, I would've never met you, right!?

I-I'm s-sorry...
If you're gonna flirt with each other, do it outside...
...I'm bored. My hand hurts from holding this pencil...

...Dude, really? C'mon.

...Hey, not so loud...
...C'mon, gimme a kiss! Please!
You're so annoying...
...*sigh* Okay, fine...

Well, at least that made them leave? God, now THAT would be awkward to have to deal with.

...Wh-Where do they think they are!?
How rude.
That's right, Makoto-san! I agree!

no but seriously pda is obnoxious

This is supposed to be a place of learning... and they're still just kids!
I say this as a member of Student Council...

> Everyone is watching.

Let's discuss this in our next meeting!
I agree.
If you're on my side, Makoto-san, then I have nothing to fear!

...Oh no, I...
...I shouldn't be talking so loud in the library...
I-I don't care if they stare at me, but, um... What about you?

I... that was fast? Remember how this S.Link started with androphobia and her being really socially awkward? This is Rank 3. Talk about your 180s, Bunny!

I don't want you to get picked on too, Makoto-san...

> Chihiro seems to be worried about you.

> You decided to go back to the dorm.

Yeah, okay, see ya!

Iwatodai Dorm

Since we're intentionally not bothering, because really who cares, I think we can be honest here.

Really good.
C'est magnifique! Please keep up the good work.

Yeah, kinda.

Yeah.
That's what I thought. Well, good luck with your research.

Ooh, it's been awhile! Seems like this is a monthly segment.

Today's subject is a 20-year-old lady. with a beauty mark near her mouth.

...Next is news. Pain, pain, go away!

So, Trish's third guest is Maki Sonomura. As a main character from Persona 1, it's quite inevitable that she'd return in Persona 2 in some way. She's Very Important in Persona 1, though she spent the early game being in the hospital with good ol' fashioned Nonspecific Anime Illness. Following the events of the SEBEC Route (beyond the events at the hospital in the very beginning she does not appear in the Snow Queen stuff), she went on to become a therapist. Her Primary Arcana was The High Priestess, and her default Persona was Maso, a Chinese Goddess of Fishermen. She was a playable character in Persona 1 but only an incidental NPC in both Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment.

I do wish the Who's Who stuff happened in 4 and 5 as well, but I guess acknowledging games before Persona 3 is relegated to spin-offs and DLC.

(and that If... is basically just a glorified Persona 0 gets zero acknowledgement ever)

The next Full Moon is visible here now, huh...

Let's talk about it some more tonight...
I don't feel like it.
Hey! No ditching!
I heard some interesting stories, so make sure you're there, okay?

Afternoon Break

Did you two ask around, like we said?
Huh? We had something planned for today?

I know, I know! I'm just kidding! Man, you have such a short temper...
Then, we'll meet in the lounge after school. Don't forget!
Yes, Ma'am...

Well, at least we have some time before then at least. Now, what to do...

...I guess I went through the wrong door and now Andre has decided for me!

Joy

> You're having a good time hanging out with Bebe.

Let's go to ze Sweet Shop, Makoto-sama...
Zis is my first time going, so will you teach me?
Sure, let's go.
Ohhh! You are ze best! Thank you, arigatou!

Well zen, shall we go?
We'll go togezer, my tomodachi! My friend!

> You decide to go to the Sweet Shop with Bebe.

Disappointingly, we don't actually get to see inside. We just catch Makoto and Andre as they're leaving...

But I really like how apparently it's a
delectable time. Way more fitting if we were still inside the store at this point!

I am so 'appy, ureshii! I love ze culture of Nihon! Japan eez sugoi, amazrng!
Yeah, Japan is great.
Hai! Hai! Yes! Yes!
Japan's culture eez number 1, ichiban! I wish I was born 'ere.

I want to learn everyzing about Nihon and become Japanese!
Zank you for bringing me 'ere, Makoto-sama. Arigatou!

I must tell 'er zat I 'ave made a great friend! Tomodachi!

> Bebe seems truly grateful.

I would like to ask you more about Nihon...

I do like that Andre does use whatever you answered before. It's a small detail, but one that would be really easy to just not bother with.

> You decide to go back to the dorm.

Ghost Meeting

Troubled

Wow, you're really into this.
Of course. I got lots of good info.

Oh, so that's what's important, huh?
Hmph. First off, let's talk about how this rumor got started...

Just in case you don't remember, that girl is a nonspecific girl from 2-E who went MIA one night and then reappeared outside school unconscious the next morning.

But, why did the rumor spread so fast, if this was the first time anything happened?

Uhh, let's see... well, um... even though we're totally meant to know the answer to this via talking to people, I guess, we didn't bother with that. It's still super-obvious though; no one's died and ghosts don't exist.

There were three victims.
Correct!
But yeah, I was surprised when I found out the reason...
Over the next few days, there were two more similar incidents.

Next. The victims are in different classes, and they don't seem to be connected.
However, they did have one thing in common. What was it?
What is this, a quiz show?
Do YOU know?
They hung out together.
Yup, that's right!
Not just once or twice, either.

...Stupid question, but how late is late?

It can't be just a coincidence...

Field research? Are you kidding?
Yeah, there's this one place where the three victims were regulars.

Something about that seems familiar...? I'm not sure, but I think we've seen it before. But I really can't tell for sure.

Oh, you're familiar with it?
You can't go there!
I've heard some nasty rumors about that place!

You'll come, right?
Sorry, count me out.
Aw, come on!
Junpei's just exaggerating.

I mean, don't you think we're getting in over our heads?
Up until now, all we've done is take orders. Does that feel right to you?
I know what you mean, but... Man, did you have to say it like that?
I guess I don't have a choice, do I?
Okay, we'll go tomorrow night, then.

> You agreed to go to the hangout tomorrow night.

End

Well, I'm looking forward to not getting to do anything tomorrow then. Gonna have to adjust my plans there I guess...

Iwatodai Dorm

I'm really not. It was information gathered at the speed of plot by Yukari, so we never had to do anything.

Well, Yukari had what might be a dumb idea and Junpei was apparently trying to be the voice of reason.

...Something here seems really backwards.

Tomorrow, I'm going to put a stop to that stupid Junpei Zone thing.
I hope you're not too freaked out, Makoto-kun.
Junpei's really freaked out.
Oh, don't worry about that. He's always freaked out.

I dunno; I'm really not sure that he is.

All these thugs get together... It looks like a reunion for ex-convicts.
Hey, aren't we planning to go there tomorrow...? poo poo... We're in serious doo doo.

Fears related to the recent nuclear power plant accident have led to record sales for the devices...

So, let's see... what to do? Hmm, oh I know!

Let's go hang out with an old monk that smokes cigars and gets wasted.

This Mysterious Feeling

I told you not to come back here... Hmph, kids...
Well, I don't care as long as you don't get on my nerves. Here, take a seat.
...So, what're you doin' here, kid?
None of your business.
Ha, you're absolutely right! It isn't any of my business!

But watch your mouth, kid. You shouldn't be sayin' somethin' like that to an adult...
If you were my son, I'd give you a swift kick in the rear end.
You don't have to revere me, but at least show me some respect.
I'm sorry, um...

And don't forget to put "san" at the end.
The world's not a forgiving place, kid. You gotta show other people respect.

> Mutatsu lectured you...

> You felt kindness behind his harsh words.

I think that's just the brandy, y'know.

> You understand Mutatsu better now.

...just go home, alright? And don't ever come back here.

So, yeah, Mutatsu is pretty drat great. It's just a bit of a shame that he's one of the slower S.Links to rank up, and for the most part having a Tower persona doesn't help.

But the first Tower persona is over level 30 so that's a long ways off anyway...

Aside from this aside, there's nothing that happens today until after school. Might as well just skip to important stuff then.

Chihiro seems like a good idea right now.

Purely because we don't actually get a rank up out of it. This is the second time this has happened now, huh?

Like with Bunkichi and Mitsuko before, we just need the one time slot to push it to being a rank up at least.

But that's enough of that. We have Yukari's Terrible Plan to deal with now...

Punk Hazard

Troubled

What's your hurry? ...I still think this is a bad idea.
How could you be afraid of ghosts, but not be scared of this...?
It's easy to get freaked out by something you can't see, don'tcha think?

*sigh* Big deal, so it's a little "dangerous"...
Come on, it'll be an adventure!

Keep Yukari's attitude in mind. This is very important.

Fearful Experience

Check out those rags... They're from Gekko High.
Oh man, this is worse than I thought...

Uh... Well, I...

Hmm, Yukari's attitude immediately changed from one guy taking a couple steps, huh? Not much of a surprise, really.

And, of course, she instantly opts to hide behind Makoto...

Beat it, Goatee...
G-Goatee? Oh, y-you mean me...

She says, cowering behind someone.

H-Hey! Are you nuts!? Take a look around you!
I'm not blind, ya know.

Yukari, c'mon. You're sassing wrong!

What was that?
She just called us "scum."

Tough Chick's Friend: Let's get 'em. Who cares where they're from!?

She'll wish she was never born!
Hahahahaha! Oh, that's so clever! Hahahahahahaha!!

These guys are the worst...
You oughta learn to shut that trap of yours.
Man, I feel sorry for you, Goatee. This bitch is a pain in the rear end... huh!!

Ugh!
Junpei...!

if you poke the bear, you're not allowed to be surprised when it tries to maul you jeez

Got anything to say before I beat it to a bloody pulp!?

Oh, hey it's uh.... you. That guy.

Alright?
Who do you think you are, dumbass? You want some too!?
*sigh* Do I have a choice?
That's it, you're goin' down!!

*gasp* poo poo...

That's right... You're from Gekko High too, aren't ya!?
I thought you were one of us...

I don't remember if I mentioned it or not before, but Shinjiro is voiced by Grant George. Among many other roles, he voiced the protagonist of Persona 1 (in the PSP remake) which is kinda neat. Oh and Officer Kurosawa in the one scene he had with actual dialogue which is... something, I guess.

I don't remember swearing a blood oath.
You son of a bitch! You just crossed the line! You think you're going home alive!?
Sure do.

Uh... S-Screw this...
Hahahahaha! What a loser!

You better grow eyes in the back of your head!

Well, at least they left easily enough at this point.

Silence

You idiots!
Get outta here. This place isn't for you.

Shinjiro's even more than willing to take his own advice. How nice!

Wait!
We came here for a reason!

Did Aki tell you to come here?
No, he didn't.
...Hmph.

Troubled

Um, yeah... How'd you know?

Those girls who wound up in the hospital were here talkin' poo poo every night...

Fuuka...? You mean Fuuka Yamagishi, from 2-E? They were picking on her?

I hear it's all over the net, too.
Fuuka's spirit...? Wait, what do you mean by that!?
You guys don't know?

...Wait, what?!

She hasn't been home in over a week.
Don't you guys go to school!? How do you not know this?
Are you serious!? I thought she was out sick...
But, she's missing!?
So much for the ghost story. Mr. Ekoda is the homeroom teacher for 2-E, right? Does he know about this...?

It's you who can't let go...
Nothing... That's all I know... Satisfied?

...C'mon, show some appreciation.

...You're very kind.
Huh?
I, um... Never mind.

No need to tell me twice! Pretty sure we'll never see this place again at this point. Not seeing any need to come back at least.

End

Iwatodai Dorm

As a nice bonus, we do still get to do some stuff today. Can't say I expected that, honestly.

It began with a ghost story, and has developed into a serious situation.
We have to do something...

I'm not sure we do, really. There's not really much we could do about a normal missing person's report.

If Shinjiro-san hadn't helped us, we'd be...
poo poo! I'm never going there again!

I mean, I'm proud of you guys for trying to gather information, but be a little more careful next time.

Um, I'm not so sure.
But, he wouldn't have saved us if he wasn't a nice guy, right?
I just don't know why he's trying to act so mean...

The yen is now 115.12 to the dollar, down from last time by 0.11 yen.

Nice to have an economic update occasionally, I guess. It'd be something that grounds the more supernatural stuff if we didn't have, uh, about half the game that does that anyway.

Oh well, let's spend more time with Mutatsu because he's pretty drat great.

This Mysterious Feeling

Even Buddha's not that forgiving. Alright, that's it. I'm gonna hand you over to the bouncer and...
...Well, there's no Buddha in this world, so... Alright, kid. Stop lookin' at me like that and sit down.

...How come you're always alone when I see ya? Don'tcha got any friends, kid?
I don't have any friends.
Either ya like being alone, or ya got problems... In any case, well said. No hesitations whatsoever... heheh...

Don't worry if ya don't have any friends. Most of life's troubles have to do with others.
...Let's define a "friend" as... someone you hold dear.

People always want somethin' in a relationship. They only really love themselves.
You don't call someone who doesn't like you your friend, do ya? No, you don't...

Which means, in this world, there's no one you can hold dear.
At the end of the lonely road of love, kid, you're the only one left standin' there.

Gotta admit, I wasn't quite expecting nihilism to pop up so early.

But, you see those dames over there, the ones on the dance floor?

Mutatsu, my man, I like you and all but I will not help you with that.

> Mutatsu seems to trust you.

> You understand Mutatsu better now.

Go home for now, kid. You're gonna come back again anyway, even if I tell you not to, right?

Eventually, yeah, but we won't quite be back to speak with Mutatsu again for a while now.

No super deep reason for it or anything, just gonna work on some other stuff for a bit first.

Current Net Price Tanaka

This is for a mechanic that we haven't gotten to yet (but we could have in theory). Even if we did, though, Perfume sure ain't useful for way longer.

...I nearly didn't buy this one, honestly. Just shy of 4000 yen is kind of a lot for 1 Perfume and 5 Medicine. I still bought it, because hey never know, but this is one I wouldn't blame anyone for skipping.

Iwatodai Dorm

So even if a Shadow finds you first, you can still get the first strike.
But even though your speed is fast, your range will still be short, so be careful.

I can't say I particularly like using fist weapons with Makoto. I dunno, the short range on the map messes me up a decent amount. Plus they're seldom the best available weapon anyway.

Also, general summer wear is kinda great for everyone but Mitsuru's outfit is once again the best.

(shame she has nothing new to say)

...And now, the news.

I really hope that the Phoenix Ranger episode previews are based on real sentai show episodes. Because I so wanna watch that one, jeez. It seems like something that Kamen Rider Fourze would totally do.

When The Moon's Reaching Out Stars / Way of Life

Both Yukari and Junpei are hanging out at the shrine today, huh? And I see they've made a new friend.

Are you friends with Yukari-san and Junpei-san?
Yep, you got it.
He lives in the same dorm as me and Yuka-tan.
Really? I didn't know boys and girls could live in the same dorm.
Umm, uhh, well... It's like...
We're exceptions! We've got good reasons for sticking close...

I'm pretty sure the kid doesn't understand why there's normally gender segregation when it comes to things like this. Because he is a child. So it's not like we need to worry super hard about explaining things.

He's a lot more reliable than Stupei.

Besides, I'm way more mature than Ken. Don't you think?

Just met the guy so I can't really answer that one fairly. So, I guess going from what we know, might as well be overly literal for now.

You're more mature.
See!? You hear that, Yuka-tan? Even Makoto thinks I'm more mature than that kid!

I'm probably gonna regret that sometime in the future, but Junpei is definitely older and therefore physically more mature at least. :v:

Especially Yukari-san! Her advice is very useful.

Well, since we're here we might as well spend a bit of time hanging around here...

This'll do nicely. It's pretty much necessary for the +10 points (Arcana Boost doesn't work here AFAIK), but at least this way we don't lose an important day for it.

Naturally, we don't have anything new at the dorm in the evening. So we'll just go relax and drink coffee for a bit.

...Y'know I can't help but notice now that tomorrow is a full moon. I'm sure it'll be fine, though. I doubt anything's gonna happen this time.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 8, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I've seen people online that talk like Bebe, minus the French accent. So I'm just imagining him as a huge weeb even though that might not be the intention of the Social Link.

Yukari is very baffling. Ghosts stories keep you awake at night, but walking onto gang turf is apparently just fine? :psyduck:

Also, Shinji is the best.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 18, 2017

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I've seen people online that talk like Bebe, minus the French accent. So I'm just imagining him as a huge weeb even though that might not be the intention of the Social Link.

Definitely a Japanophile, but his being in Home Ec means he has marketable skills, which quite handily disqualifies him from being a huge weeb.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Going back to the gang hangout later on by yourself to feed a cat or steal a mahjong tile is totally fine, of course. Though, it is daytime when you do that, maybe that's the difference.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If all the Persona games take place in the same world, what is the timeline for events?

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Oh hey the best and worst characters in the game all in one update. Isn't it great?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Oh hey the best and worst characters in the game all in one update. Isn't it great?
I was going to say some other stuff but this just summed it up perfectly.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

But Kenji wasn't in this update? :confused:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I have to admit I have no idea what Yukari and Junpei might be helping Ken with. The only thing could be schoolwork, but I wouldn't trust Junpei to help anyone with that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

If all the Persona games take place in the same world, what is the timeline for events?

Pretty much the same as their release date for the most part. Persona 1 takes place in 1996, Persona 2 is in 1999, Persona 3 is 2009, Persona 4 is 2011 and Persona 5 is 2016.

3 and 4 tell you their year outright, which is nice. 1 and 2 can be worked out from how everyone has a very specific birthday (Maki from the previous update is June 4 1979, for example) and Persona 5 obfuscates its date by going Mega Man X but is still easy to figure out from the Persona 4 references.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Also, doesn't Persona 5's calendar line up with 2016's perfectly?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

At the very least, I remember before the game released people were hypothesizing that it was set in either 2016 or one specific year in the 2020s, due to how the dates in the trailers lined up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Definitely a Japanophile, but his being in Home Ec means he has marketable skills, which quite handily disqualifies him from being a huge weeb.

I choose to interpret it as him trying to speak Japanese but some of the pronunciation is off.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Man Mitsuru and Akihiko would be 26 by the time P5 hit. They'd be Anime Old Fogeys at that point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Man Mitsuru and Akihiko would be 26 by the time P5 hit. They'd be Anime Old Fogeys at that point.

Nah, it's not till you hit 30 that your life is completely over and you're one foot in the grave.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

That "Portable Special" battle against the Change Relic sure was something. It's still the Maniac difficulty, right?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It is, yeah. I just got so sick of repeatedly doing the fight normally while trying to fix the video (wasn't recording sound for some reason :saddowns:) that I just started Autoing it for convenience. Somehow that got a win almost every single time. Sure can't complain about that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Alright, so, today's probably gonna be a lengthy one...

> You decide to ask the teacher about the missing girl, Fuuka Yamagishi, today...

This could've happened any time, really, but we just learned about it so the timing here is all sortsa awkward.

Mission Briefing

Fearful Experience

Same reason as you.
Mr. Ekoda, I'm here to ask you about a student named Fuuka Yamagishi...

I-I never thought it'd turn out like this...
Fuuka...
Wait... You're that girl...
What did you do to Yamagishi?
Hold on, Mitsuru... This isn't an interrogation.

You wouldn't want to give her the wrong idea.
Fuuka... She... She always looked so frazzled whenever I gave her a hard time...
Then, I realized... She's an honor student, but deep inside, she's the same as us.
I knew exactly which buttons to push. We were just messin' with her that day, too!

We took Fuuka to the gym... and locked the door from the outside...
What!? You locked her in!?

But, she never came back... and the next morning...
...she was found lying on the ground by the gate.
I went to the gym to let Fuuka out, but the door was still locked...

We all freaked out. Starting that night, we all went looking for her.

I see...
By the way, Mr. Ekoda... All this time, you've attributed Yamagishi's absences to "illness."

What was your intention?
I was thinking of the students, of course.

You mean, you chose not to report this to the police for the "good of the class."
It, it was in her best interest.
I wouldn't want her records to be stained by something like this. Her parents agree!

He's supposed to be talking about Fuuka here, but it could easily be interpreted in context as referring to Natsuki instead. Because he clearly doesn't actually give one iota of a poo poo about Fuuka.

How despicable...!
*gasp* I-I didn't... I was just...

...Anything at all.

A creepy voice. ...Right before each of them went missing. They said it was calling their name.
Oh, man...
Senpai, could it be...!?

Until now, there was no way of knowing how or why some people are conscious during the Dark Hour...

Also something to do with getting a Persona but only maybe sometimes.

This whole thing has made me realize... They're clearly targeting humans.
Shadows are the enemy of mankind.

If you hear the voice, tell us immediately.
And don't leave the room, no matter what. If you can do that much, you should be okay.
...Don't worry, Yamagishi should be alright as well.

T-Tonight!?
We're going to rescue Yamagishi. If my guess is right, she's still inside the school.

Troubled

It's not necessarily super obvious, but Yukari's just locking the door here. Can't have the real student council interrupting this particular club meeting. :v:

Um, I don't get it... Is Fuuka inside the school somewhere?
And why at night? At midnight, this place turns into--
Exactly.

Then, ever since Fuuka got locked in the gym, she's been stuck there...?
But, that was ten days ago!
That means...
Not necessarily. We can't jump to conclusions.

Now that you mention it...
This is only a theory, but I think time may function differently with respect to Tartarus.

It's possible she's still alive.
Wow, ya think so!?
Uh, but the Dark Hour is pretty brutal... We can barely handle an hour; how's she gonna last ten!?
That's true... And, even if she's still alive, we might not be able to get to her...

...I have an idea. Let's try to enter Tartarus exactly how Fuuka did.

Is that really gonna work...?
Honestly, I have reservations. If something goes wrong, you could all end up lost in Tartarus too. But...

I'd never forgive myself. If you guys don't want to go, then I'll go by myself.
Senpai...?
...Alright.

I agree. And we won't know until we try.
Cool, we get to sneak into the school!
Heheh... In that case, I know just what to do...

End

Whew, that was just the prelude to the main event, huh...?

Unlike last month, we do get to do something today. It gives us a respite before we move onto the rescue mission.

So, what's more light and relaxing than Kaz potentially ruining his career and ability to walk!

Joy

Varsity: Yeah, he's not trying as hard as he usually does.
JV: He thinks he'll make it to nationals like that...?

Rather than deal with any real work though, those two guys just walk off.

The only thing they're good at is waving their sticks around...
Kaz! The coach wants to see you in the office!

That's, uh, I don't think that's Yuko??

> Kaz has left.

Um, Makoto-kun...
...Um, never mind.

> You decide to leave and go back to the dorm.

The coach just called me to the office to tell me he's worried about me...
I'm not accusing you of telling him. but... drat! What should I do? I think he knows...
How's your knee?
It's sore, but I made it through practice today.

He said I'd have to quit the team if I'm hurt. But, I told him I'm not...
I've already missed three days! Now, I'll have to work even harder!

You need to toughen up.
You're right. I have to stop making excuses... It takes guts to win!

...I decided that I'll take my chances for my nephew's sake...

If that happens, Makoto... I want you to be the next captain.

> You've gained Kazushi's trust.

Th-That's just the worst-case scenario, though, okay!?
I'll keep my promise and win at the regional meet as well as at nationals! Then, I'll give my knee a rest.
But for now, I'll do whatever it takes!

> You had a serious talk with Kazushi while walking home.

The Operation Starts

Troubled

What's wrong?
I can't get a hold of the Chairman.
I guess we can handle it ourselves.
There's one problem, though.

No need to worry. I've got it all set to go.
Set to go...? An explosive?

We don't have time to waste. Let's go.

...Nah... All I did was unlock a door...

One quick fade to blue later...

Is that really something to brag about?
So, you unlocked it earlier... Tres bien!
No time for compliments. Let's go.

Tray Ben...? What's that mean? That's not English, is it?

Oh Junpei, you sweet summer child.

Anyway, yet another fade to blue.

Aww, you scared?
No!
...Stupei.
Stop callin' me that!
Quiet.

I don't like sneaking around...

Akihiko and I will check the janitor's room. You three check the Faculty Office.
After that, we'll meet in the main hallway. Got it?
The Faculty Office, huh...?
Hey, maybe we'll find some test questions! Heheh...
Maybe I should go to the Faculty Office, too... It sounds interesting.

You mean like breaking into the school in the middle of the night? Because, whew boy, do I have some bad news for you...

If so, then expect to be severely punished...
It-It was a joke! I'd never do something like that! Ha, haha...
Come on, Mitsuru... Lighten up a little.

End

Silence

Whew, okay, so we start in our classroom here because that's a sensible place to have finished our conversation I guess?

There's really not much to this right now, but there is one minor thing we can do that isn't progress.

If we try and go to the bathroom, we still can but it annoys Yukari. Just trying to fish for Great condition but no dice, unfortunately.

Shame, because that might be nice tonight. Oh well! Heading on downstairs we go.

> The footsteps are getting closer...

Fearful Experience

Th-There's someone else here...?

Of course there are other people here.

...Even if they are amazingly and blisteringly incompetent.

> The footsteps faded away...

Do you believe in ghosts?
Um, of course not. We already know it's not a ghost.
And besides, I'm not THAT afraid of--

It's been less than half a minute since that guard walked away. I know he's bad at his job, but he absolutely heard that right?

...Right?

M-My cell phone!? Why now!?

*sigh* Sorry about that. It took me by surprise!
You get scared so easily.
...... Whatever.

Silence

Well, let's see... the faculty office is just to our right but meh I'm bored. This isn't what I was expecting. Let's just go home instead.

Oh, well, uh, never mind then. Faculty office it is!

What does it say on this one?
Morgue.
What, are you trying to scare me or something?
...Trust me, you'll pay for that.

Okay, let's go. We're supposed to meet them in the main hallway.

I don't know why you have to do this particular part manually. There's nothing else in the interim, so...

Way to Tartarus

The Operation Sta-- Er... Troubled

Sure did.
Ya know, I heard a scream that sounded kinda familiar...

What, you actually did? I was just kidding...
You wanna make somethin' of it!?
Keep it down.
We'll divide into teams again.

...Why? What? Why? This... this actively serves no purpose and doesn't help at all.

Once the Dark Hour has begun, I'll determine Yamagishi's position.
I'll go.
You should come, too. You can take the lead, like always.
Um, then, I'll be the third--
Wait a second...! Remember how I accidentally screwed up on the monorail?

Oh, come on! It's not always about YOU!
Besides, you didn't "accidentally" screw up.

Sweet! Thanks!

Um, n-no, it's fine.
It's almost time.

"Almost" nothing. Just like that, the Dark Hour begins anew and this is gonna be a very unique experience, I bet.

Fearful Experience

Meanwhile, back at the dorm...

*sigh* ...I'm all alone, after all... Fuuka...

Hm...?

...calling me...
I... I have to go... tell her I'm sorry...
Fuuka...

We still haven't heard back from them... The transceiver's sensitivity is set to high, too...
O-Oh yeah, that girl, Natsuki... I hope she's okay at the dorm...

But, we couldn't possibly bring her here, and one of us staying behind was out of the question.

Someone staying behind to make sure Natsuki doesn't get attacked by a Shadow is out of the question. Which is why Yukari came to... stay behind and not do anything. Sure, okay. Planning!

Yeah... I guess so...
...But, we're all here for Fuuka's sake--

This is Mitsuru. I've confirmed your position.
You're higher up than I expected... You're barely in communication range.
Is everyone alright?

Akihiko! Come in, Akihiko!
...Is he out of range? I'm starting to get worried...

The Voice Someone Calls

> You open your eyes...

> Your mind feels fuzzy.

> You wonder where you are...

No, it's not? It's the second time. It's the first time we've spoken outside of the dorm. Silly ghost kid.

Where are the others?
Don't worry, you'll see them soon.
But, we don't have much time to talk.

You should hurry... She's waiting for you. You guys will need her.
Okay, then... I hope we can speak again.

End

tartarus_0d02

...distance... too far. ...can't provi-- ...back up. ...... You got s-- ...from Akihi-- ......

> Communication has been lost.

So, Floor Iunno is... not randomised. It's also not really all that empty, though it might as well be.

There's a few shadows hanging around that are all small which means...

They're solo Shadows. Mostly ones we've fought before, though thanks to the broken communication we can't even scan these ones.

The Soul Dancer here isn't weak to Ice which they normally are, though. It's not like it really matters all that much.

There's also some Shadows that we haven't fought (yet...?) but they're not as common. There's really no reason to bother fighting anything here though.

Fights just exist here to waste Makoto's SP and that's basically it. They don't even give you half-decent EXP.

At least we can find 1 Snuff Soul (and 1 Medicine!) per floor here, which is guaranteed and kinda nice.

Midway through the floor, Mitsuru manages to get through a little bit again.

But just a little. Someone, or something, else manages much better though...

Anyway, of course there's more than the one floor here.

Where am I...? Why am I here...? Please answer me...

Floor IGotNothing 2 is also a fixed floor, nicely enough. It starts off with a big ol' open area that if we cut across to the top-left (on the minimap) we can dodge this Shadow here and another one that exists to be a waste of time.

Is someone there...? Please answer me...

Third Floor WhoEvenKnows starts us off by meeting back up with Junpei and Akihiko, nicely enough...

In The Shadow Of A Regal Moon

Silence

Man, we were worried about you.
I don't think we should enter Tartarus this way again...
Oh yeah! Did you hear a voice while you were in here? Uh, kinda like--

Th-That's it! That's the voice! It sounded like it came from behind us...

The Voice Someone Calls

Never fear, Junpei's here!
I'm glad you're okay... Come with us.

Looks like we made the right decision. I'll see if I can contact Mitsuru.
Where are we...? I was at school, and then...
Well... It's a long story. I'll explain after we get outta here.

...No good. All I hear is static.
Oh yeah, are ya hurt? Have you run into any monsters?
So, there ARE strange creatures in here, then...

Are you serious!? How's that possible!?

Whaddya mean? Are you psychic?

Maybe even stronger, since Mitsuru's Persona is more battle-oriented.
Hang on to this.

Akihiko just casually ends Fuuka an Evoker. Sure, okay then...

*gasp* B-But, this is...!
Think of it as a lucky charm. It's not really a gun.
Alright, let's get outta here!

Awesome, now to just give Junpei the Spiked Bat and pop a Traesto Gem and... I can't yet? drat it.

...I've never seen it so bright.
Some research indicates that the Shadows are affected by the phases of the moon.
Of course, the same can be said for humans.
That would explain Yuka-tan's mood swings.

Was it?
I think so... Why?
Hey, did you see the moon on the night the dorm was attacked, back in April?
It was full.
Mitsuru, are you there!?

Hey, can you hear me? Mitsuru, come in!
...Be caref...
Mitsuru!? Mitsuru!!

Calamity

...What is this thing...?

Dammit!!
Wh-What's going on!?

...We have to hurry!

H-Hey! Wait for me!

Along his journey, the Fool begins to grow and thus meets the Empress. A strong mother-figure in life, the Empress represents motherhood in both the literal and the abstract. The creation of life, showing care and attention and also a reminder to not get ahead of yourself. Embrace life and enjoy your time.

After learning this lesson, the Fool meets the Emperor. The more masculine counterpart to the Empress, where she is meant to be motherhood, he is meant to be fatherhood. Things are predictable and have a rigid structure to them... this includes the way the world works. Authority is important and as one's father, the Emperor IS authority. He can guide, protect and provide or assume power and control accordingly...

Ugh... uh...
What's going on!? Nothing's working!
Oh poo poo! They look pissed!

Why the hell is SHE here!?
F-Fuuka...

Wait! What are you doing!?
Please, get out of here! It's dangerous!!
I... I wanted to tell you... I'm sorry...

The shorter of the two Shadows raises its sceptre and takes aim towards Fuuka. In return, Fuuka... draws her Evoker...

Wait! That's not a weapon!

...!?

Fuuka Yamagishi

Silence

And so we return to the animezone for the first time in quite a while...

Natsuki is understandably terrified of what's going on right now.

The sceptre-wielding Shadow shows no mercy and immediately takes a swing at Fuuka and Natsuki...

Fuuka pulls a Makoto here and fires off her Evoker. (no kickass music accompanying this one though)

The Shadow's attack just hits... a giant shield of some kind...

And the attack is deflected so hard, the Shadow itself is repelled and bowls over the other one for good measure.

Who, in turn, loosens his grip on Mitsuru and she goes flying across the room.

Fuuka's summoning of her Persona is more low-key and the least intense Awakening in the (modern) series.

It's not going to be high on most people's lists, but I think it works really well.

She's not trying to attack; she's trying to protect herself and her... classmate. She's not an aggressive person, she seems to lack any kind of malice. As a result, her Persona is pure defense and support...

...I'm alright. Be careful... Normal attacks won't work on these Shadows.
And all of our instruments have been destroyed...

She's referring to her bike and radio over by the stairs.

Just stay still! Besides...

That Which Comes From The Darkness

Is that the voice...!?
I... I can sense these monsters' weaknesses, somehow...
For real!?
...Just as I thought.

...I get it now. Yamagishi, can you assist the others?
I'll do my best!
Stay back, Mitsuru! We'll take care of this!

Two bosses for the price of one, huh? Alright, let's go!

III. Arcana Empress & IV. Arcana Emperor (Portable)

Master of Shadow

As Shadows, the Empress and the Emperor represent the Reversed side of their respective cards.

The Empress can be considered a representation of femininity in general, which includes things such as beauty and health. A very subjective way of displaying half of that is immediately apparent from her appearance. The other half...?

The Emperor in reverse is merely going through the motions. Actions are done because they are the done thing rather than a desire to do them. A feeling of a lack of direct control and that things are not in their proper order.

Anyway, uh, the fight itself? Yeah, these guys are... well there's two of them.

That means we've gotta try pretty hard here just to survive, right?

Makoto's been the only one to go so far, but these guys are bosses so they're probably pretty fast.

Sure, the Empress is beaten already but that's not much of an indication of anything. She only had 500HP which is laughably low at this point.

The Emperor hurts when he hits, most of the time. His skills are lethal and can give an unprepared party an instant game over.

...If he ever gets to use them.

Yeah, so, this fight is actually kind of a colossal joke. Both the Empress and the Emperor have absurdly low stats, next to no HP, are easy to one-round by accident and while they have one (1!) potentially dangerous attack between them, they have a slew of weaknesses that makes them colossal jokes.

The Empress has, uh, an interesting resistance pool to say the least. Look at that. Weak to all Physical elements but nulls everything else.

Her moveset is almost kinda clever, honestly. That thing about Reversed Empress possibly being a representation of ill-health means she uses some ailments.

Bewilder inflicts Distress (25% base chance) on a single target. Distress is pretty nice to have since it increases damage dealt, increases crit rate on top of that AND Distressed enemies might do nothing or try to flee.

In this case, it means we maybe waste a turn casting Patra. :v:

She can also inflict Fear (25% base chance), also on a single target. Fear is both a lesser Distress and a more potentially lethal one. It's weird in this fight since the main reason for caring about Fear is not in either of their repertoires.

In terms of single-target DAMAGE, all the Empress has is this. She bops someone with her sceptre for... rather bad damage. That's weird.

Multi-target damage is relegated to two spells. She can cast Magaru...

...or Magarula. She chooses the latter a bit more often, of course.

But, uh, its damage leaves something to be desi--

Okay, so Junpei has Rakukaja here sure (so I don't accidentlaly win the fight) but he still took LESS damage than Akihiko. She'd barely break 100 on Junpei. What the hell?

Let's see...

Okay, so she has 500HP as mentioned above. Her SP is... a lot. It really doesn't matter, honestly. Stat-wise, she has 11 Strength, 11 Magic, 11 Endurance, 11 Agility and... 1 Luck. No wonder her ailment skills miss almost all the time.

So, what about the Emperor then? He starts off even more underwhelmingly. Weak to all magical elemental damage but immune to Physicals is an interesting path to take.

His representation of being the Reversed Arcana is more noticable in his attack animations (which you have no reason to ever see). His movesets are stiff and clunky and like they're being forced out. It's also kinda clever.

Attack wise, he has less variety than the Empress. He can use Fatal End to hit a single target with Medium tier Slash damage (base power 230!).

...It's bizarrely underwhelming for that, though. It's technically possible for it to kill someone, but its damage is low and it can be made much lower still.

But he also has Swift Strike. And this IS unironically a possible fight changer. It hits "one to three" times...

Except, uh, the funny thing about that? It's 1-3 hits... per target. Yeah, Swift Strike here is kind of ludicrous! If it just random targets 1-3 hits total, that'd still be fairly good and strong but as is? It's very powerful even in the Emperor's weak hands.

Anyway, uh, you see that damage it did on Junpei? Yeah. Each hit has 95 base power, has 80% accuracy and a 3% chance to crit.

Since it rolls NoH at sorta random, there is a bit of RNG to how much of a dickpunch this is. It could hit Makoto 3 times and that'd be a bit of a problem even with Rakukaja and Tarunda in play!

...But as the name implied it's Strike elemental and we just made Zouchouten recently and he resists Strike. It wasn't an intentional precaution, though, because I had to purposefully let him get a turn anyway.

The other thing they can both do is this. Paradigm Shift is unique to this fight, and this fight alone.

It's quite simple what it does, but it's also mildly annoying.

It means this fight is sort of secretly a barrier change boss fight! My favourite!

...It's not realy that big a deal, since they start with a ton of weaknesses anyway. It just changes them at random. This is meant to be a showcase of how much better a navigator Fuuka is than Mitsuru, since her analysis gets finished faster and shows more info. In practice, eh, it doesn't really come up.

...But, y'know, for a gigantic pisstake of a squash match they give some fantastic EXP. They're also level 16 (Change Relic was 17) so, uh, that's not just wacky scaling.

Also, while I remember: the Emperor is slightly statistically different to the Empress. His HP is 750, his SP is really big but could be 0 for all the difference it doesn't make. He has 11 Strength, 11 Magic, 11 Endurance, 11 Agility and 1 Luck.

...Huh, I just got some weird deja vu.

The Voice Someone Calls

Don't worry, it's over.
Fuuka... You...
A-Are you alright...?
Yeah...
Thank goodness...

It's alright. She's just exhausted.
Fuuka... Fuuka, I...
Where did these two Shadows come from?
From somewhere outside of Tartarus, just like before...
I see...

Don't worry, she's not like us, so she won't remember any of it.
The good news is, she didn't fall victim to the Shadows, even though she obviously heard their call.
She should be safe from now on.

That doesn't seem fair...
Actually, I don't think it'll matter.
I'm sorry, Fuuka... I'm so sorry...
I think she's learned her lesson.
I'm sorry... *sob*

...Sure, whatever you say game. Definitely wasn't easy. Nope.

> Your team survived another dangerous fight.

> It seems like the trust between you all has grown...

Didn't get a Fool rank this time though, huh.

> You learned a new tactic!

In terms of general AI settings, this one is probably the best. It means the AI prioritises chaining knock downs where possible to get an AOA. It's very useful for randoms where you don't have a Persona capable of doing the job somehow. It's less effective in boss fights for obvious reasons, though.

> You wonder about the mysterious boy who appeared again...

> You are too exhausted to make any sense of it right now.

> You decide to rest as soon as you get back to the dorm...

End

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 13, 2018

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Why does Mitsuru always call people by their last names? It comes across as kinda rude and sounds really stilted in the voiced dialogue bits. Although, Fuuka is queen of awkward delivery. Also, the "correct" choices for Kaz's social link continue to be awful.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's a cultural thing. In Japanese culture, you don't refer to people by their first name unless you're extremely close to them.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ChaosArgate posted:

It's a cultural thing. In Japanese culture, you don't refer to people by their first name unless you're extremely close to them.

Similarly, addressing someone without using honorifics indicates you're either extremely close to them, or you're being rude as hell.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Maybe Mitsuru just bribed that security guard to look the other way. She could certainly afford it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dragonatrix posted:

Set to go...? An explosive?
It's interesting how accepting Mitsuru is of this, considering her family owns the school, and she's president of the student council. Also how ready she is to believe that Junpei could actually manage to set one off without blowing his dumb rear end up.

Dragonatrix posted:

Like, you're okay with Junpei bombing the school in order to break in at night, but stealing test answers is where you draw the line? Really?

W.T. Fits posted:

Similarly, addressing someone without using honorifics indicates you're either extremely close to them, or you're being rude as hell.
Extremely close as in "pretty much family". AFAIK, you only ever refer to your actual family and maybe one or two of your very best friends without honorifics in Japanese.

StandardVC10 posted:

Maybe Mitsuru just bribed that security guard to look the other way. She could certainly afford it.
Especially since her family pays his salary.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I remember this from the first movie. Though the rear end in a top hat teacher wasn't there. "I didn't want her disappearance from the face of the Earth to ruin her academic record!"

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Extremely close as in "pretty much family". AFAIK, you only ever refer to your actual family and maybe one or two of your very best friends without honorifics in Japanese.

Yeah, if your relationship can be described as "thick as thieves," you're probably close enough to refer to each other by first name and without honorifics, which is probably why the P5 crew does so. :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I remember this from the first movie. Though the rear end in a top hat teacher wasn't there. "I didn't want her disappearance from the face of the Earth to ruin her academic record!"
And apparently, her parents agreed to not report their kid missing because it might somehow impact her academic record worse than being sick. Either Fuuka has some lovely parents, or Japan's value system is seriously screwed up.

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah, if your relationship can be described as "thick as thieves," you're probably close enough to refer to each other by first name and without honorifics, which is probably why the P5 crew does so. :v:
Well, their "it's us against the world" mentality would tend to breed that kind of camaraderie.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Fuuka's persona is one of my favorite designs in the series. It's very stylish and i dig the serene vibe it gives.

Also, uh, wow the gameplay part of this felt really phoned in huh? An empty school segment, 2 (?) floors of tartarus and a weirdly easy double boss.
I wonder if they originally wanted to have the school segment be its own full dungeon with enemies and maybe stealth or something?

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Full moon bosses tend to be pretty easy in general. It's kind of unavoidable with the way the game is set up, since if you actually lose to one you're out 30-40 minutes of mostly cutscenes. The actually hard bosses are mostly restricted to Tartarus.

lightace
Jul 13, 2016
Yeah, the bosses here are pretty much a glorified tutorial for Fuuka's analytical abilities. Thus the changing weaknesses, bizarre resistances, blah blah tutorial blah blah.

Doesn't stop Fuuka from making a hell of a debut though. 'Yeah it's cool I've just been dodging Shadows for several hours nbd. Also let me save all your asses real quick.' :allears:

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Pretty sure Mitsuru had one person stay back as a precaution. If this plan went to hell then she would be stuck finding more SEES operatives, or going on a rescue mission with Yukari. But going with two would still be an easier task than going on her own. Thankfully it didn't come to that, because these bosses are super easy.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

You made a joke out of them since their starting weaknesses are always the same, but when you don't know they can be pretty cheap. One time, the Empress inflicted Fear on my MC, then the Emperor followed with Fatal End, getting a crit and immediately causing a Game Over. Sure was fun to rewatch Ekoda and Natsumi's interrogation followed by the student council reunion, redoing the after school event, the school infiltration and those fixed Tartarus floors :shepface:

Commander Keene posted:

And apparently, her parents agreed to not report their kid missing because it might somehow impact her academic record worse than being sick. Either Fuuka has some lovely parents, or Japan's value system is seriously screwed up.

If I'm not mistaken, the problem is that the society is so competitive that having been involved with the police, even if you were the victim, puts you at a huge disadvantage in the job market since companies prefer to recruit people who haven't dealt with the police at all. It's the same reason train gropers usually go unreported for example.

Fuuka's parents are also lovely, though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

It's a cultural thing.

Sort of, but also not really. After all, even in English referring to someone by their surname is a formal sign of respect. It's nowhere near as common, and it's virtually never used for peers, but it's the how and why for children talking about/to their teachers, for example.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Last night wasn't anywhere near as intensive (for us) as the previous two Full Moon events. It's consistent though, so whatever.

Do you think Mitsuru-senpai saved Fuuka because it was the right thing to do?
Or was it just because she's a Persona-user and we need her...?

Let's be honest, Mitsuru is more pragmatic than kind-hearted.

So, you think so too?
...Well, whether or not she joins us is up to her...
Sorry to bring this up out of the blue.

What to do today is a bit of an open question. We want something that's bound to be light and relaxing, so that writes off... pretty much everything available. Chihiro'll have to do, I guess.

Joy

> The rich aroma of coffee fills the air.

> The time flies while you sip your drinks.

I haven't been feeling well lately... I couldn't even finish my lunch today.

> Chihiro looks pale.

I may have caught a cold...
I'm sorry, Makoto-san, but can we go to a drug store?

It's really not too far, to the Pharmacy so sure I guess.

> You agreed to go to the drug store with Chihiro.

One fade to blue later. I feel like I've said that a lot in the past while, huh...

It's always a good sign when his own nameplate is calling him a creep.

Troubled

Wh-What do you want?

Creep: You just came out of the drug store, right? What'd ya buy? Hm? Hmm!?

L-Leave me alone...! Go away...!
Makoto-san...

Joy

I-I wouldn't want you to... to fight... because of me... but just now, you were... um...
Y-You, um, helped me, Makoto-san, and I'm not scared anymore... b-but...
Why am I still shaking?

It's pretty odd that Makoto gets absolutely no dialogue during this entire scene. He technically does say a thing here, but it's non-specific stuff which... uh...

If you say so, Makoto-san.
Thank you... I'm okay now.

...It helps at least. Really wanna know what he said here.

Wh-Why all of a sudden... do I feel short of breath...?
Makoto-san, I...

> Chihiro seems to truly appreciate your help.

...Um, b-by the way! Th-Thank you for saving me today!
Ex-Excuse me!

> Chihiro ran away blushing...

Iwatodai Dorm

I wonder how she's doing...
Oh, by the way...

Maybe we should go check it out sometime.

Yeah, it IS the 9th of June now so we definitely need to do that.

...so we won't be going to Tartarus tonight.

Ikutsuki-san said the owner would help us out.
How the hell can an antique shop owner help us out?
Unless she has this amazing item created a million years ago that can annihilate Shadows...
Yeah, I'm sure that's what it is...
Just ignore him... But yeah, you should really check it out.

I definitely plan on doing that, since it's a thing that's been on the list for a while.

The fight between those with umbrellas and the driving wind is still being waged today...

That was our special report. Next, the news, followed by a look at everyone in recovery from the Apathy Syndrome.

When The Moon's Reaching Out Stars / Way of Life

So, the Antiques store is... very special. Very, VERY special.

Officer Kurosawa tells me you're fighting against the Shadows.
To the public, this is merely an antique shop... but privately, I create weapons.

Weapon Fusion! There's something that you don't really see all that often nowadays.

Persona 5 brought it back, and improved it at least.

I'll give you one for free. to start out with. Here you go.

From now on, you'll need to find your own. The golden Shadows carry such materials.

Well, that's mildly inconvenient but it gives us a reason to keep caring about Thebel in perpetuity, I guess?

There's another thing you should know, though I'm still researching it, so I'm not certain of this...

Weapon Fusion in general can be pretty great, but the special stuff is the reason why you care. It's all only obtainable here and it's always very worth it.

All I can tell you is to experiment for yourself.
If you bring me jewels, I'll trade the goods I carry here for them.

So, nothing in this store cost any money whatsoever.

As you'd expect from the early game, we can't mkae any unique weapons but what we CAN make is pretty good. Berith makes for a pretty decent 1h Sword if we feel like giving him up for that. Which, well, I'd rather not right now. It is better than anything else we can get that isn't from Liz but I'm gonna hold onto the Nihil Sword.

You may have noticed an option to Trade for Cards. Yeah, we can take gems that are absurdly common drops from basically everything in Tartarus and turn them into stat boosters. This is absurdly good since this just takes a couple gems and gives you the stat booster straight up. I'll almost certainly not bother but if you want to, this makes making a Persona with 99 in everything absurdly simple.

Or we could turn them into items. This is a big reason why I'm not particularly shy about using most of the better restoratives.

There's also some stuff in here that's harder to get in large quantities but can be worth the time and effort. In theory. By the time it becomes viable, however...

Oh and there are 4 weird items in here that are like the Perfume. Unlike the Perfume, we might actually want some of these for reasons other than dealing with a poo poo mechanic that got axed very quickly.

For now, we'll just make note of the fact that we can make some absurd weapons if we want to. Nothing too ridiculous yet, of course, but the option is there if you're not haemorraging money at 4x the usual rate because Hard mode. If I was playing on Normal I would absolutely just flip Berith into a sword and buy him back no questions asked, but that's too expensive here right now.

...And, yeah, I tried to use the bathrooms a couple times throughout the day to fix this but this time the RNG didn't play nice. Well, we'll get Academics up by the time its necessary anyway, so I'm not too worried.

So, what's next?
We'll need to invite Yamagishi to the dorm and explain what happened. We could definitely use her help.

Well, let's get through it real quick, then. First, the Taika Reforms.
They happened in the year 645. Just remember that.

Yeah, the Taika Reforms are only among the most pivotal moments in all of Japan's history. Nothing important there.

Later on, in 710, there was the Heijo-Kyo. That wraps it up for the Nara era.
What, you want to know more? Okay, here's a question for you about the Nara era.

Oh that's easy. I know that one! It's--

...I don't feel like picking on anyone today, so I'll just tell you. It's the Man-yoshu.
We're supposed to cover the Kokin Wakashu, too, but I don't really care. Ask Mr. Ekoda, if you want.
Argh... I don't care about any of this!
I wanna get to the Sengoku era! It's calling out to me!

I'm sure there's one sensible member of staff somewhere in the school. Probably. I don't know where they're hiding though...

Anyway, uh, hi Andre.

Joy

Makoto-sama, you 'ave gotten much better at zis! Subarashii! Wonderful!
Thanks.
I 'ave to get better too!
I am glad to 'ave such a great friend--tomodachi--as my rival!

Makoto-sama.
I would like to make somezing Japanese, but what?
Something traditional?
A kimono!!

It 'as to be a kimono!
But... zat is very 'ard to make...
I don't know 'ow. Plus, it eez expensive...

Makoto-sama, you are ze only one I can talk to 'ere...
You are so nice!

> Bebe seems truly grateful.

Andre's link is pretty great, honestly. The guy knows what he likes and is just so happy and eager about, like, everything.

Iwatodai Dorm

Man, I wonder when she'll be ready to come along...
Hey, don't just assume that she'll be joining us...
I hope they're not trying to push her into it...

Neither Junpei nor Yukari have anything new to say, right now. There's also absolutely nothing on TV either.

So I guess we'll just go drink a lot more coffee and get the Charm rank 3.

Academics is still firmly at rank 2, but it's just chugging along. It'll get there eventually, I'm sure.

The 11th is the first day in a while in which we don't have any scene at the front gate. It's always a bit weird whenever that happens. I dunno.

Afternoon Break

But at least there's... something that happens today.

> It's from Akihiko.

Honestly, that's insanely impressive considering Makoto was out for like half a month. Fuuka's just 3 days which is ludicrous. Different circumstances sure, but you'd think she'd be longer what with running around Tartarus for so long before her Awakening...

> "We'll talk to her this evening."

> "Come to the command room as soon as you get back."

So, uh, between the Perfume we bought from Tanaka and the stuff in the Antique Store... I think it's about time we dive headfirst into The Worst Mechanic. Chihiro's the easiest to do that with right now.

Joy

So, how was it?
Huh? Oh! You mean the Sweet Shop...
Sorry. I have something more important on my mind...

> Chihiro is blushing.

...Remember when you saved me from that creep, Makoto-san?

It... It's been two days.

I guess I'll tell you, Makoto-san, since you've been so nice to me...!
...B-But, don't think I'm weird, okay!?
L-Last night, um... I-I... You see, I had this...

It's been two days.

It's just a coincidence.
I-I thought it was probably just a coincidence, too, but...

I dream about you every night... This has never happened to me before.
I appreciate how nice you've been to me, Makoto-san...
But... one of these days, I... might want to be more than just your friend...

> You sense that Chihiro cares for you.

It's a very one-sided degree of serious...

Okay, so this is a really poo poo mechanic that was immediately removed for Persona 4 thankfully. See, now that (in Chihiro's mind at least) we're "dating", there is a 60 day timelimit to spend time with her again.

That doesn't sound too bad, but that time limit gets 15 days knocked off if we hang out with a different high school girl, like say Yuko. This applies even if you do it on days when you can't spend time with Chihiro in the first place and if neither of them would rank up at the time.

It's loving dumb and there IS a really awful consequence if that time limit hits 0 from either naturally running out of time or spending time with the "wrong" people at most 4 times.

I-I get so nervous when I'm around you, Makoto-san...
...especially when you look at me that way...

...Bored and uninterested?

Sorry...
Don't be hard on yourself.
I-I'm always talking about my problems... Makoto-san, you're just too nice...

...I-I think I'm starting to overcome my fear of men!

Oh, I guess the game hasn't forgotten her androphobia after all. It's just... completely irrelevant aside from it being implied that's maybe the reason she was awkward around a creepy fucko. Instead of him being, y'know, acting super inappropriate and like a poo poo.

So far, I can only talk to boys I know, but... I can almost look them in the eye!
With your help, Makoto-san, I feel like I can do even better!

> Chihiro closed her eyes...

As long as it's nothing scary... I'll be fine!

Okay, so this is so blatantly obvious what's sensible, what the game wants you to do and what's transparently the wrong option.

...Hmm...

A Strange Hypothetical posted:

> Chihiro looks utterly shocked.

Troubled

W-We aren't even officially dating... and you have the nerve to do THAT!
H-How dare you! What kind of girl do you think I am!

> Things are gradually getting worse.

Just Like This...

Troubled

> Chihiro ran home crying.

> Now that you're on your own, you decided to go back to the dorm.

Hmm, yeah, I'm getting a weird feeling that we probably don't want to pick the blatantly wrong choice.

Joy

Makoto-san...

> It feels like Chihiro will never let go.

It's so rough... and strong... and warm...

Oh right, uh, opting to not h*ld h*nds doesn't prevent "dating" because it's part of the S.Link. It's part of almost all the S.Links with girls, because one of the directors did not - and still to this day does not - believe that men and women can only be friends. :sigh:

Troubled

*chuckle* Relax, there's no need to be nervous. Why don't you have a seat?
Everyone, you did an excellent job uncovering the truth. I also wanted to let you know...

What a relief...
From what I understand, they each came to school around midnight and waited for the security guard to leave.

However, the facts became twisted because of rumors concerning a ghost story.
I knew right from the beginning that it wasn't a ghost.

What? No, you didn't.

...Are you kidding!? You were the victim!
But, I made so many people worry...
Hey, don't think like that...

You saved our lives. You should feel good about yourself.
You have a special power that you can use to help others.

We call it "Persona."
You could be a tremendous help to us. Will you lend us your strength?
Are you asking me to join you...?
Mitsuru-senpai...
You know, we're not trying to pressure you, so if you need some time to think about it...

I'll help you!
A-Are you sure!?
If you join, you'll have to live here...

We really appreciate this.
We'll have the school talk to your parents, to resolve any issues.
Thank you.
...Wait a minute. Aren't we dragging her into this a bit fast?
Um, it's okay, really...

We still don't know where they're coming from. But, Akihiko is right about one thing...

So, they're kinda like werewolves then, huh?
It's a big advantage for us to know when to expect them.
Now, on the day of the fight, we'll be ready to get in the ring.

> You wonder if this is what the boy was trying to tell you...

> It seems that you should start paying attention to the moon's phases...

I'm pretty sure there's no "trying" about it. That strange kid told us this outright like twice already.

Iwatodai Dorm

Hey, Makoto, whaddya think of her?
That all you think about?
Dude, you need to lighten up.
This is what being in high school's all about...

The more things change, I guess.

Even though in the end it was her choice...
I don't feel good about this...

Today was a great day for all of us.
Hm? Oh, I asked Mitsuru and Akihiko to walk Fuuka home.
She shouldn't be walking home alone.

Ah, that explains why those three aren't around anywhere.

According to wedding planners, the number of June brides is steadily decreasing... The month is less popular with married couples in their 20s and 30s.

There's not much we can do today, really, so let's see... It's Thursday which means...

At least we can take photos for 3x the price of coffee but 2x the Charm points. It sounds like a bad trade when I put it like that, but it really works out as better in the end because we need this maxed by a specific date and all.

Academics is just... Academics. It's going to get somewhere eventually, I guess. It just takes forever.

Normally I'd cut it at the end of the 11th, but we have time for one more day so let's do just that.

Hey, Makoto-kun... What do you think about Fuuka?
She's very helpful.
You think so? I mean, yeah, her Persona ability is great n' all, but...
Doesn't it kinda seem like she was forced into joining us?
I hope she'll be okay...

Troubled

Nosy Girl: Ekoda's in hot water!
Gossip-Lover: Really? What'd he do?

Gossip-Lover: Hahaha, I can totally see that!

Gossip-Lover: Quiet, she can hear you!

Um...

She's right in front of you, so I guess no? She's not in here?

Moriyama-san...?
I heard you started living in the dorms.
Y-Yeah...

Let me know if you need someone to talk to.
You could probably use a friend, huh?
Moriyama-san...
Oh, come on.

Just in case you were thinking that she was being sarcastic or something, this flies in the face of that.

...Thank you...

A nice scene to give Fuuka a real friend for the first time, huh. How sweet.

Speaking of real friends, Andre has... something we should talk to him about today, I think.

> Bebe, who's usually very talkative, is quiet.

Are you alright?
You can tell somezing eez wrong!?

Uhh... Last night...
My dear aunt...

Calm down.
...I will try...

> Bebe seems sad.

S-Sorry, gomenasai...

And now, she 'as been taken away...
She 'elped me so muchm and... I could not do anyzing for 'er...
I was 'olding zis inside...
...because I know zat crying will not 'elp...
But, seeing ze look on your face, Makoto-sama... I...

> He seems devastated by his loss...

> Bebe has confided in you.

...Hasta la vista...

Andre... :smith:

Iwatodai Dorm

But, no guys allowed...
It's cool, though... I'm just glad she's coming. She'll be here tomorrow, ya know.

They're cleaning it up. You know, dusting and mopping...
They said they'd call us if there are any cockroaches that need to be killed.

I'm pretty sure they can handle a couple cockroaches. I mean, they can definitely handle way tougher stuff so...

Might as well go say "hi" anyway. Seem to be taking a break right now, at least.

But, preparing for Yamagishi's move has taken longer than I anticipated.
So, that's that... As you can see, the girls' rooms are on this floor. Males are not permitted.

Please don't let there be any cockroaches...

What you're seeing is a prototype of an artificial rain generator. For a country like this, where water is becoming scarce...

Oh yeah, I've heard of that. It's called "dance powder." It's pretty useful stuff!

Anyway, we're gonna have a low-key evening this week. Could spend time with Mutatsu, sure, but I think we should focus more on Charm for the time being.

That leaves us with a bit of studying to close out the day. Now, tomorr--

The Voice Someone Calls

It doesn't seem so certain, considering the vast potential within you.
As a matter of fact, your power seems to have changed quite a bit.

I'm very curious about you... Is that okay?
Yeah, whatever.
*chuckle* I see your point. You haven't had much say in the matter.

You may call me that if you wish.

The Power of the Heart

> A mysterious voice rings in your head...

The Voice Someone Calls

I'm already looking forward to our next meeting.

Alright, so we have Fuuka as our formal navigator officially as of tomorrow. We're also, uh, very low on money so his is a good time to check out what she can do For Real, so an early Tartarus trip is in order I think.

Mitsuru's been upgraded into a playable character, and her weapons are 1handed swords. Because she can fence, you see. She's, uh, notably a higher level than anyone else by a decent margin, even.

Penthesilea is mostly balanced and so kinda boring, but she has a notable Magic bent and already starts with a multi-target spell. She can heal a bit and if she knows the enemy is vulnerable to it can cast Marin Karin to fish for Charm procs. If she is using Marin Karin, it will work. Remember this. It might just be important.

Yukari, by contrast, is currently a lower level than anyone else but because EXP scales we can help her catch up pretty quickly. Right now, her only real use is that she can cure some ailments (that won't come up much) and deal Wind damage.

Junpei is pretty alright for what he needs to do, realy. Re Patra is like the worst spell ever, though, since it removes Knock Down from 1 ally. It has very niche uses, though. Rakukaja can also come in handy, if he can't contribute much damage. (And once he hits level 18, he can Akihiko better than Akihiko can.)

Akihiko can now live up to his original visible purpose and do a bit of everything. Sonic Punch is decent Strike damage, Dia lets him heal, Zio will be very useful and Tarunda can work well as what is functionally a multi-target Rakukaja. Plus both can work out very well if necessary.

Now, since we have 5 characters we need to leave someone on the bench. Makoto has to be in the party at all times, so that leaves three slots. With this in mind...

:siren: Vote for who we DON'T bring along on this excursion. :siren:

I'm not gonna bother grinding everyone upto 18 because that'd take way too long and it really doesn't matter.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 8, 2018

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
gently caress Junpei. :colbert:

okay not really, but he really sucks right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Certain classes of persona will give the generic weapon fusions a resist (element) property, which can be really useful.