Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Strange. I thought corporate power surged under the ostensibly regulated capitalist order and we are experiencing a wholesale reversal of those regulations which we are powerless to stop because the left was annihilated and anyone remaining was in the service of capital. Must be mistaken.

In your dimension is the work primarily organized by worker cooperatives or some other kind of system?

nah, corporate power actually did decline for a while. problem is that when workers' situations got better, they became less interested in fighting to maintain their power. meanwhile corporations still retained enough power to slowly but surely laid the foundations and groundwork for their resurgence, not just in the political sphere but also extending their influence in education and media, as well as exploiting political strife and petty intrigues in new generations of union leadership

the left is dead not because corporations killed it, but because it lost sight of what it believed in and because the workers who formed its lifeblood have lost interest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

ok, good to know

I can't imagine any sort of good legislation to encourage "innovative K-12" though. maybe he just means giving kids laptops or some other dumb waste.

NOVA gives high schoolers and college students free school laptops and it's been a huge success so far :shrug:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
succ zone 2018: better piss, better eviscerations, better zucc

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Joementum posted:

ok, good to know

I can't imagine any sort of good legislation to encourage "innovative K-12" though. maybe he just means giving kids laptops or some other dumb waste.

Throwing money at schools at all is better than what we have now

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

good lord @ fulchrum in the dems are a waste thread

did his brain break even more over the last few months

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
succ zone 2018: a better pill to swallow

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Rand Institute "donated" and few thousand copies of atlas shrugged to my old high school in Alexandria and the local school systems response was to throw most of them in a giant dumpster or hand them out as fire kindling

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh Snapple! posted:

lmao why the gently caress are you reading that thread

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

lmao why the gently caress are you reading that thread

sometimes i like to see people defend things such as, say, hillary owning slaves

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

nah, corporate power actually did decline for a while. problem is that when workers' situations got better, they became less interested in fighting to maintain their power. meanwhile corporations still retained enough power to slowly but surely laid the foundations and groundwork for their resurgence, not just in the political sphere but also extending their influence in education and media, as well as exploiting political strife and petty intrigues in new generations of union leadership

the left is dead not because corporations killed it, but because it lost sight of what it believed in and because the workers who formed its lifeblood have lost interest

The dominance of the corporation does indeed coincide with this period, however. I disagree with many of his conclusions, but I think Domhoff makes a compelling argument that corporate power was mobilized long before their more overt ascendancy in the 70's and 80's with full cooperation from the government.

Also you may be understating the scale of both soft and hard power exerted on the left by both the government and the capitalist class all throughout the 20th century.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Yinlock posted:

when i say regulation i don't mean "little slap on the wrist changes that people whine about" i mean "CEOs shot and killed if they break regulations"

if you already have that amount of power over ceos why keep their completely useless and overpaid asses around in the first place

and also yeah as others said they will eventually find a way to screw you over as long as they have any power. and if they are completely powerless, well you are already a communist society

babypolis has issued a correction as of 01:12 on Jul 21, 2017

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Joementum posted:

ok, good to know

Raspberry Pis and Chromebooks for all kids.

This will get Raspberry Pis into american homes, and their parents who lose their jobs can create things with code, like a weatherstation or a smart mirror.

*Boom*
Your Welcome, Democrats!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh Snapple! posted:

sometimes i like to see people defend things such as, say, hillary owning slaves

Don't mean to be harsh man but it's not healthy for you mentally to seek out enraging stuff like that

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oh Snapple! posted:

How dare you mke me curious enough to click that thread.

Lol "ugh it's troika"

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Venom Snake posted:

NOVA gives high schoolers and college students free school laptops and it's been a huge success so far :shrug:

given that a lack of access to internet is a massive disadvantage for poor students vs. wealthier ones, i don't really see a problem with this

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Concerned Citizen posted:

given that a lack of access to internet is a massive disadvantage for poor students vs. wealthier ones, i don't really see a problem with this

didnt such a program bankrupt the LA USD

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
retrain the Democratic Party leadership imo

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Finicums Wake posted:

retrain in gulags the Democratic Party leadership imo

FTFY

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov38 posted:

didnt such a program bankrupt the LA USD

i don't think so?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-ipad-curriculum-refund-20150415-story.html

oh lol it was a program to give LAUSD 100k ipads that pearson just scammed them out of

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

The dominance of the corporation does indeed coincide with this period, however. I disagree with many of his conclusions, but I think Domhoff makes a compelling argument that corporate power was mobilized long before their more overt ascendancy in the 70's and 80's with full cooperation from the government.

Also you may be understating the scale of both soft and hard power exerted on the left by both the government and the capitalist class all throughout the 20th century.

there was a lot more hard and soft power being exerted against the left when the labor movement started

it's just that people were a lot more motivated to fight back against it when they were working 12 hours a day 7 days a week, being paid in company scrip, and would have their pay cut in half if company enforcers found evidence of alcohol or unmarried sex in their apartment

unions were fairly toothless by the 60s, faithfully playing along first with the war and then the anti-communist crusades. most of the fire had been taken out of the major organizations, which had either opted for cooperation with employers instead of confrontation or collapsed into infighting and power struggles between internal factions. there hasn't been a real general strike in the US since the 40s

man I'm spicy today

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
idk how like, a high schooler can even write a report without internet access at home in the year of our lord 2017. it's a big problem for educational equity

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
The Democratic Party, after months of deliberating internally, polling constituents, and channelling their donors' money to outside consultancy groups, rolled out their 2018 messaging earlier today. The product of all that incompetence and graft: "[GARBLED]" It was described by reporters on the scene as "an efette, fartish noise" or, alternatively, "bit like a French girl's toots, really."

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lessail posted:

succ zone 2018: a better pill to swallow

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
holy loving poo poo half the house and senate have cosponsored the israel anti-boycott bill

we all going to fuckin PRISON fam :thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
trump, sitting next to wife of shinzo abe, at g20: trump trump trump tromp...
mrs. abe: yes, so, as I was saying, this new program I've been rolling out in Japan, Womanomics, named after my husband's worldfamous 'Abenomics'...
trump: let me tell you about how great maganomics is gonna be

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Finicums Wake posted:

trump, sitting next to wife of shinzo abe, at g20: trump trump trump tromp...
mrs. abe: yes, so, as I was saying, this new program I've been rolling out in Japan, Womanomics, named after my husband's worldfamous 'Abenomics'...
trump: let me tell you about how great maganomics is gonna be

this is probably an accurate enough representation of how trump came up with the slogan that is going to destroy the democrats in 2018

lamo at everything

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

the idea that better jobs are available but left unfilled due to a deficit in 'skills' is empirically false

This is the funniest thing; that message transparently, on a basic logical level, makes no sense. Even if you assume that more high-skill jobs exist or can be created, it presumes that all current low paying jobs will be worked by ??????? after their current employees move on to greener pastures. Like, in the absolute best case scenario this approach accomplishes nothing but shuffling around who's rich/poor a bit.

The problem is that, to the sort of people who come up with these ideas, they see all the educated, well-spoken, sharply dressed people they work with and aren't willing to admit that maybe they aren't actually of a "better breed" than the proles.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

holy loving poo poo half the house and senate have cosponsored the israel anti-boycott bill

we all going to fuckin PRISON fam :thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

there's no way this survives the courts, right?

...right??

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

there was a lot more hard and soft power being exerted against the left when the labor movement started

it's just that people were a lot more motivated to fight back against it when they were working 12 hours a day 7 days a week, being paid in company scrip, and would have their pay cut in half if company enforcers found evidence of alcohol or unmarried sex in their apartment

unions were fairly toothless by the 60s, faithfully playing along first with the war and then the anti-communist crusades. most of the fire had been taken out of the major organizations, which had either opted for cooperation with employers instead of confrontation or collapsed into infighting and power struggles between internal factions. there hasn't been a real general strike in the US since the 40s

man I'm spicy today

Yeah that is a fair point, much of the toothlessness of the left was indeed self inflicted.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

Yeah I'm not really sure this idea that we have no jobs for people to do comes from. FFS the democratic party of the 30's figured this out why the gently caress can't we in 2017

there's tons of work to be done

there are no jobs to go around despite massive amounts of work to be done repairing infrastructure and preparing for the coming global warming apocalypse because under capitalism, nobody is able to do work unless a captalist gets a return on it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the broad american left including labor unions, womens' groups, antiwar movements, and racial justice organizations were violently attacked by the cops and feds for decades during the cold war

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
"When they go low we gulag" would be a better slogan than whatever piece of poo poo the DNC comes up with but then again the bar is so low that just about anything would work.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i hate the democrats so much

why do they refuse to acknowledge that to win elections you have to do more than pander to the new york times editorial board

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Finicums Wake posted:

this is probably an accurate enough representation of how trump came up with the slogan that is going to destroy the democrats in 2018

lamo at everything

Except he screamed it at her very slowly because even though she was talking in English, he thinks she can't speak English.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

i hate the democrats so much

why do they refuse to acknowledge that to win elections you have to do more than pander to the new york times editorial board

because they dont actually care about winning elections

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

trump and the republicans have gone full apocalyptic death cult but i think the democrats are the more delusional ones

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

the broad american left including labor unions, womens' groups, antiwar movements, and racial justice organizations were violently attacked by the cops and feds for decades during the cold war

and during WWII

and during the roaring 20s

and during the red scare in the wake of the Russian Revolution

and during WWI

and at the turn of the century

and in the late 19th century

the war between the state and workers started the day after the invention of the steam engine and has been going on ever since, aside from a few brief and short-lived peace treaties intended largely to buy the state a respite when there appears to be a danger of real defeat

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Autism Sneaks posted:

there's no way this survives the courts, right?

...right??

http://dsadevil.blogspot.com/2017/07/a-non-hyperbolic-non-apologetic.html

quote:

American law already prohibits the boycotting of a country friendly to the United States where it is done at the behest of a boycott call by a foreign country. This law came about for a very particular reason: the threat of secondary boycotts by Arab countries. Companies which might have no interest in boycotting Israel might do so if, say, Qatar (whose business they value much more) said "you can't do business with us if you do business with Israel." The U.S. law counters by saying "you can't follow the Qatar boycott if you want to stay within American law". Even for companies where Qatar > Israel, the U.S. is > > > Qatar, so the law effectively neutralizes foreign calls for a secondary boycott.

The most anodyne way of describing this new law is to say that it merely extends the preexisting ban on boycotting an ally of the United States at the behest of a foreign country (e.g., Qatar) to include doing so at the behest of an International Governmental Organization (e.g., the EU and UN). If the current law isn't unconstitutional (and it's been upheld against challenge, see Briggs & Stratton Corp. v. Baldrige, 728 F.2d 915 (7th Cir. 1984)), why would this one be problematic?

e:

quote:

Regardless of the legal effects though, the absence of a serious secondary boycott threat does significantly undermine the law's policy rationale. Most of the litigation over the initial law came because companies were providing documentation to Arab countries showing that they were boycotting Israel in order to avoid the former nations' secondary boycott. But if the UN or the EU aren't imposing a secondary boycott, there'd be no occasion to furnish this information and thus virtually no situation where anyone could violate the law unless they were dumb enough to admit "we are boycotting Israel because the UN is telling us to" (even "we are boycotting Israel because PACBI is telling us to" would be fine under this law, as PACBI is neither a foreign country nor an IGO).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

ok, good to know

I think it's jargon for public-private partnerships and more testing. I could be wrong.

• Locked thread