Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The MSJ posted:

Shazam director David F Sanberg also directed the horror hit Lights Out (which is probably why Annabelle: Creation is getting way better reviews than the first movie).

And here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48WwGPbXhMo

Even if this wasn't a sequel to a movie that owns this cast alone would get me in a seat. I'm excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I didn't care much for Kingaman and neither do I the sequel. I dont get the love for Church scene but okay I guess.

I'm interested in the Dredd TV show

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

The MSJ posted:

Shazam director David F Sanberg also directed the horror hit Lights Out (which is probably why Annabelle: Creation is getting way better reviews than the first movie).

And here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48WwGPbXhMo
Get this green band trailer out of here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR8BpZVyoFo

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

No, this is better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFZkoNJ3DxE

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
There's a lot to like in the Kingsman church fight but just about all of them are present in any John Wick fight, with the added bonus that John's action sequences don't constantly cut away to other characters watching on cameras and going "my God this is an action sequence" in order to paper over some serious pacing issues

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I just wonder if anyone who flips out over Kingsman has ever seen, like, prime-time Jackie Chan. He does everything Kingsmen is doing only without speed ramping or any other tricks. He also does waaaaay more dangerous stunts.

That's not to say Kingsman's church scene is bad. It isn't. It's good. I like it. But there's way better melees out there.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

/\ /\ /\ Comparing anything to peak Jackie Chan (although a peak that lasts a couple of decades is stretching that word) is kind of unfair.

Jenny Angel posted:

There's a lot to like in the Kingsman church fight but just about all of them are present in any John Wick fight, with the added bonus that John's action sequences don't constantly cut away to other characters watching on cameras and going "my God this is an action sequence" in order to paper over some serious pacing issues

nah, Wick's scenes have a much more deliberate, paced energy, they're nowhere near as frantic as the Church scene. They're not better or worse, they're just different, it's kind of a weird comparison.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think context makes a big difference too. John Wick spends the whole movie stylishly killing Russian goons. Kingsmen's church scene goes for shock of mostly harmless church folk turning into violent psychopaths.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"Harmless" is not a word I would use to describe Westburo Baptist knock-offs.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I figured I'd get flack for that. Dormant? They're not outright physically hurting anyone.

Well, until they do.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Especially considering how many guns and knives come out in that scene.

Serf
May 5, 2011

That Kingsman trailer has some very comic-book rear end looking action scenes in there. Hopefully there are more cool shots like that in the movie.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The church scene works for people not because it's well choreographed or smartly paced or whatever, it works because it's one of the best expressions in film of the sort of manic hate energy characteristic of a violent fantasy. It's basically pure catharsis for people who want to drive a dump truck over a Westboro protest or unload a machine gun into a room full of bank executives, which is why the lead up to that scene works so hard to establish that the church is full of horrible people.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A clip from Death Note, featuring Ryuk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFzvJMmH9x0

Ryuk is played by a tall actor in costume, and then his face is overlayed with a CG one that was motion-captured from Willem Dafoe's actual face.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 21, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The MSJ posted:

A clip from Death Note, featuring Ryuk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFzvJMmH9x0

Ryuk is played by a tall actor in costume, and then they his face is overlayed with a CG one that was motion-captured from Willem Dafoe's actual face.

Woulda saved a lot of money and looked just as scary if it was just Willem Dafoe sitting on another guy's shoulders, wearing a big trench coat

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I do like how he's filmed initially out of focus as if he really is ethereal or a dream or haze. Dafoe is a great choice and does very well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just wonder if anyone who flips out over Kingsman has ever seen, like, prime-time Jackie Chan. He does everything Kingsmen is doing only without speed ramping or any other tricks. He also does waaaaay more dangerous stunts.

That's not to say Kingsman's church scene is bad. It isn't. It's good. I like it. But there's way better melees out there.

Can I not be impressed by different things for different reasons?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That actually looks pretty good. Dafoe is a hell of an actor and he's killing it as Ryuk and I appreciate the changes they've made to both Ryuk and Light so this adaptation brings something new to the table instead of being a straight copy from the manga/anime/film

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Calaveron posted:

Woulda saved a lot of money and looked just as scary if it was just Willem Dafoe sitting on another guy's shoulders, wearing a big trench coat

I'm a dumb motherfucker who wrote this before watching the video for the sake of making a tremendously lovely white noise post as is my wont to do but WOW Ryuk looks and sounds genuinely good and the off focus effect looks super cool
Hopefully it's not a thing where they used up all their fx budget in this one scene

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The church scene works for people not because it's well choreographed or smartly paced or whatever, it works because it's one of the best expressions in film of the sort of manic hate energy characteristic of a violent fantasy. It's basically pure catharsis for people who want to drive a dump truck over a Westboro protest or unload a machine gun into a room full of bank executives, which is why the lead up to that scene works so hard to establish that the church is full of horrible people.

But it also shows that power fantasy as horrifying. I mean, half the time, Harry is slaughtering armed people who are attacking him, but it kicks off with him shooting an unarmed woman and then an old man in the head, and near the climax he just smashes another unarmed woman in the neck with an axe. There's a reason the song is 'Freebird,' a great song that goes on a little too long.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Death Note looks interesting, and I like that they're willing to change stuff and do a different spin on it. Light was a supervillain from day one in the anime, and it looks like they're going for a more gradual descent into insanity which plays better for this.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Death Note looks really interesting. Netflix is making some interesting looking films. Just saw a trailer for Bright today, and that film basically looks like "Shadowrun: The movie"

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The tiniest bit of Punisher at the end of this teaser:

https://twitter.com/LukeCage/status/888070781627899904

Mordiceius posted:

Just saw a trailer for Bright today, and that film basically looks like "Shadowrun: The movie"

With no cyberware and from the perspective of the cops. Still, David Ayer!

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 21, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Sir Kodiak posted:

With no cyberware and from the perspective of the cops. Still, David Ayer!

Yeah, not quite to Shadowrun, but still something kind of interesting maybe? Shame about Will Smith though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just saw Valerian. The theater was almost empty - maybe a dozen or so total besides me, and I think at least four of them walked out about the 2/3 mark. My views (keeping in mind I have not read the comics):

The pros:
  • Great visuals and designs for the aliens, ships, environments (at least most of the time) and some interesting sci-fi concepts. Main reason I wanted to see the movie in the first place.
  • Ethan Hawke and Rihanna put in good, if small, performances. (Honestly, I thought Rihanna was better than either of the main leads.)
  • Really liked the opening credits montage.
  • The villains were a racist military officer who uses human access to the galactic free market and claims of cultural superiority to justify covering up genocide, which seems tailor made to appeal to the CineD crowd.

The cons:
  • The story was trite and the dialogue was bland.
  • Way, way too long. There was no reason this was almost 2.5 hours long. None at all.
  • At multiple points throughout the movie, major plot points are given out in huge chunks of expository dialogue. Rutger Hauer is wasted so he can give a 30 second monologue during the opening credits to help set up the premise.
  • Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevigne are really wooden actors and have no chemistry with each other, even though 90% of their interactions are supposed to be endearing flirtations. Almost none of the other actors in here acquitted themselves much, either.
  • Related to the above, Valerian was a completely unsympathetic and annoying/borderline gross character. He was probably intended to come across as a charming Han Solo rogue type but was portrayed more like a sleazy PUA in space. This may have to do with my above point about Dane DeHaan.
  • This felt very derivative. I know people are going to say that Mass Effect and Star Wars and Blade Runner stole stuff from the original comics or whatever, but even beyond the visual references (and whether that's true or not, as someone who hasn't read the comics but has seen those movies/games, it's really hard not to see them being pretty blatant in some of the designs) there are shots clearly borrowing from iconic Star Wars scenes and other shots clearly inspired by sci-fi FPS games, Cara Delevigne even has an "I have a bad feeling about this," and to be honest, there were multiple times when I felt like the movie was recreating parts of The Phantom Menace, of all movies.
  • Again, perhaps related to the above, this felt less like a movie and more like watching a Let's Play of Mass Effect or EVE or something like that.

The weird:
  • There's a space hooker who imitates Jessica Rabbit.

Ultimately, while I did really love a lot of the visuals in the movie, I can't really recommend it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/888204105352704000

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I still don't really care for the orc prosthetics in Bright but Edgerton looks like he's doing a good job acting through them.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wake me up when someone does an MF Doom flick.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I felt the same way when people went nuts about The Matrix fight scenes when that came out.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Oh snap...but must remain cautious.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This is a great idea. Most of the time, the only thing getting in the way of a good movie Dr Doom is the fact he has to share it with the Fantastic Four.

Speaking of Hawley, Said Taghamoui from Wonder Woman is going to play another incarnation of The Shadow King in Legion season 2.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

Wake me up when someone does an MF Doom flick.

Mother loving Doom flick?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I once thought Clive Owen would make a good Dr. Doom.

Now...I don't know.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

UmOk posted:

Mother loving Doom flick?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbpEnkDQnhk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgWBMa5v930

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm in that first, intrigued phase of the Vince McMahon gif until there's more news.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mordiceius posted:

New Kingsman trailer looks pretty alright.

Oh gently caress yeah.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
nm

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Davros1 posted:

I felt the same way when people went nuts about The Matrix fight scenes when that came out.

You do know the action choreographer on The Matrix was Yuen Woo Ping, director of Drunken Master and Snake In Eagle's Shadow (among a pile of other all time greats), right?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

While the villain part sounds like liberal pandering, which was probably inevitable, I'm glad the movie seems to upset people who wring their hands over "likable characters".

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Maybe I'm just a sour puss, but I never thought the Valerian movie looked good. Plus, I've seen fuckall for marketing on it.

• Locked thread