Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Jesus, I can't tell if it's a joke or not. Sex positive stuff is mix of cool empowerment stuff and weird assholes jerking off about how mindless hedonistic pleasures and kinks are a absolute good thing in excess and must be talked about openly with everyone. I'll take it over sex negative feminists but lol the extreme is creepy. Edit: she apologized. https://mobile.twitter.com/ENBrown/status/887078760796827649

Why is she saying "the media" like shes not part of the media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

FuriousxGeorge posted:

It's not the content that doesn't do it for me, it's the medium. I would rather watch animated X-Men than still picture X-Men. The only benefit of not animating I can see is it makes the content significantly easier and cheaper to produce, so you get a lot more creators involved making a lot more content and that has real benefits.

you mean it's possible...to like some things...more than other things.......

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Jesus, I can't tell if it's a joke or not. Sex positive stuff is mix of cool empowerment stuff and weird assholes jerking off about how mindless hedonistic pleasures and kinks are a absolute good thing in excess and must be talked about openly with everyone. I'll take it over sex negative feminists but lol the extreme is creepy. Edit: she apologized. https://mobile.twitter.com/ENBrown/status/887078760796827649

"Apologized"
Sorry I'm usually too woke for u plebs isn't an apology.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Sorry, not trying to hate on people for liking what they like. I like a sport where grown men give themselves severe brain trauma in exchange for non-guaranteed employment contracts. I like John Mayer singing "Brown Eyed Woman" more than Jerry Garcia. I like a TV show you get probated for liking on this forum.

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 11:03 on Jul 18, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Byolante posted:

Some people like their pulp escapism in the format comics provide. Things like Maus and city of glass exist which help prove it's not inherently an artistically bereft medium.

People don't lament the artistic merit of film just because Michael bay is spending a billion blowing poo poo up and filming it.

you are right, the problem isn't with the inanimate medium, it's with the manchildren who keep obsessing about the garbage produced in it and pretending it should be part of public discourse, and it's not limited to this one particular medium - people who watch all the michael bay movies or all the superhero movies and talk about them constantly are awful, too. the difference is that there is actually a substantial number of decent films, and nerd blockbusters are a short trend in the greater scope of cinema history, so reducing "superhero movie fanboys" to just "movie watchers" would be misleading, whereas all but few comic books are of the trashy-guilty-pleasure-at-best variety, so it's safe to make an equation between superhero comic geeks and comic audiences in general.

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 09:06 on Jul 18, 2017

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

you are right, the problem isn't with the inanimate medium, it's with the manchildren who keep obsessing about the garbage produced in it and pretending it should be part of public discourse, and it's not limited to this one particular medium - people who watch all the michael bay movies or all the superhero movies and talk about them constantly are awful, too. the difference is that there is actually a substantial number of decent films, and nerd blockbusters are a short trend in the greater scope of cinema history, so reducing "superhero movie fanboys" to just "movie watchers" would be misleading, whereas all but few comic books are of the trashy-guilty-pleasure-at-best variety, so it's safe to make an equation between superhero comic geeks and comic audiences in general.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

Wait, are you saying that if somebody comes in and trashes everything you liked about a medium to satisfy themselves, it is you that are the problem and should get over it?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm tired of both groups of shitheads.

Ones trying to make some sort of "statement" and the other's getting up in arms over it.

This isn't a truth in the middle :downs: thing. I think Idris Elba as James Bond for example would be fascinating to see. Not because he's black, but because he's a good actor. Same could be said for most other media. I think if the intent was "Well I just thought this would make the character's backstory more interesting in modern times" or "This guy/girl blew us the gently caress away during auditions. How could you NOT hire them?" are both acceptable answers to doing such a thing.

"A BLACK TRANSGENDER SPIDER MAN IS WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW IN THE AGE OF TRUMP" is not.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Sorry, not trying to hate on people for liking what they like. I like a sport where grown men give themselves severe brain trauma in exchange for non-guaranteed employment contracts. I like John Mayer singing "Brown Eyed Woman" more than Jerry Garcia. I like a TV show you get probated for liking on this forum.

what show is that?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

FuriousxGeorge posted:

It's not the content that doesn't do it for me, it's the medium. I would rather watch animated X-Men than still picture X-Men. The only benefit of not animating I can see is it makes the content significantly easier and cheaper to produce, so you get a lot more creators involved making a lot more content and that has real benefits.

The illustration here is almost certainly producing a more lasting, evocative, and detailed image than cheap Saturday morning cartoons. I mean, yes it's all stupid baby poo poo and superheroes are basically the single most reactionary sideshow in all of popular culture, but the medium is actually insanely good at what it does, which is producing iconic imagery that later becomes the basis for multimedia empires. Watch a kid read a comic book some time--they don't just idly flip through the pages like a paperback, they pour over every line and hatch on every single page, admiring all the little details and so on. It's unfortunate that most of the people working in the medium are hacks on a deadline, because the "still-frame" images of comics actually have a lot of potential in terms of framing, composition, and their unique cinematic style which is actually difficult to replicate in traditional animation or film.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Why do people read comic books when animation and novels exist? I just don't get it. It seems like such a worst of all worlds medium.

The best superhero (villain actually) story is worm.

https://parahumans.wordpress.com/table-of-contents/

Worm, like most superhero stories, keeps on going long after it started sucking

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

eh, it's better than a "sorry for offending people" apology, at least she knows that was a dumb thing

that being said, buzzfeed doesn't get mocked enough itt. they didn't create performative wokeness but they certainly did a lot to bring it to the mainstream, which then infected the cultural zeitgeist like a virus

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Tunicate posted:

Worm, like most superhero stories, keeps on going long after it started sucking

no

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

The part where he stares at the camera and his eyes get bigger for a second freaked me out lol

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

quote:

Two judges said assaults on jurors and courthouse employees, combined with conditions, including the stench of excrement and urine, are creating a frightening atmosphere around the courthouse at Third and James in Seattle.

Although cleaning and patrolling the area immediately surrounding the courthouse would not address some of the deep-seated issues faced by denizens of the space, it would send a signal that somebody was paying attention, she said.

She and Rogers asked the county to take immediate steps to clean up the courthouse with a daily power-wash of the surrounding sidewalks, which reek of urine and excrement.

Some committee members expressed concern about addressing the symptoms of the area’s problems without getting to the cause. Councilmember Larry Gossett said he didn’t like the idea of power-washing the sidewalks because it brought back images of the use of hoses against civil-rights activists.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
there are dozens of bums every day in the park next to the courthouse, yet for decades we've done jack poo poo to solve homelessness

gg capitalism

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think at times there quest to do these sorts of things feels forced and hamfisted

Lady Ghostbusters comes to mind. It seemed at times it was more about some sort of "WOMEN CAN BE FUNNY AND HEROES TOO YA'LL" when both of those facts have been true for DECADES. Lucille Ball, Joan Rivers, Carol Burnett, Jane Curtain, Betty White, Cloris Leachman, and Roseanne Barr kicked some serious rear end. Sigourney Weaver, Linda Hamilton and Uma Thurman are also in this convo for women who kick rear end, take names in action flicks.

Hell I thought Charlize Theron in Mad Max was fantastic in terms of recent examples. Some idiots got up in arms over the messages, but all I saw was poo poo getting blowed up nice and good.

At times it feels like this sort of thing is actually insulting to the women I listed above because it feels like their accomplishments are swept under the rug in favor of Wonder Woman, Harry Potter, or whatever the gently caress stupid meme these idiots like.

the ghostbusters movie would have been terrible even with a male cast because the writing was awful, the attempt to silence all criticism as "why you hate the wimminz" was just the cherry on top

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ghostbusters is not as good as you remember it being

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

Yeah but the new one's still dogshit.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Crane Fist posted:

Yeah, there are far better comedies from the old SNL veterans. Still ok though.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
another hot take from the racist minecraft man

it's cool that goons went out of their way to defend this guy in the past

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

sword_man.gif posted:

lol this dude owns

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ugh its Troika posted:

the ghostbusters movie would have been terrible even with a male cast because the writing was awful, the attempt to silence all criticism as "why you hate the wimminz" was just the cherry on top

Yeah you can't replace Ivan Reitman, Dan Akroyd and Harold Ramis with Paul Feig.

I knew a few women nerds that were happy to be represented and enjoyed the flick. If it brought them happiness? That's good. I just had no interest in really seeing the thing either way.

super sweet best pal posted:

Yeah, there are far better comedies from the old SNL veterans. Still ok though.

Caddyshack comes to mind.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
or Stripes, Trading Places.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

got any sevens posted:

or Stripes, Trading Places.

gently caress. Trading Places is great!

Also uh...Jamie Lee Curtis looks fantastic in it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I give Notch a break because he's autistic, and tweets like that make perfect sense in that context.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I give Notch a break because he's autistic, and tweets like that make perfect sense in that context.

I'm autistic, and no they don't.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ah poo poo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Notch is waaaaay too much of a broken douchebag to blame the 'tism for it

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
isn't he one of those devs that backstabbed his whole team for money when they got bought out?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HIJK posted:

isn't he one of those devs that backstabbed his whole team for money when they got bought out?

He was definitely actively hated by his coworkers by the end of his tenure at Mojang, though opinions vary on why that was.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

He was definitely actively hated by his coworkers by the end of his tenure at Mojang, though opinions vary on why that was.

If you were and early employee and got the equivalent of a cheesy gold watch despite repeatedly asking for some equity while people who were at the company a whole week longer than you walk away with hundreds of millions you'd hate them too.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

HIJK posted:

yes. he currently lives in a beverly hills mansion with a dedicated candy room pondering out loud why women won't gently caress him.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm autistic, and no they don't.

Maybe he's better at autism than you

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

sword_man.gif posted:

yes. he currently lives in a beverly hills mansion with a dedicated candy room pondering out loud why women won't gently caress him.

get real, I bet he goes through at least 11 hookers a week

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

mojang is definitely the type of nerd to think he's too good for hookers

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
lol, he's literally the Forever Alone guy! good.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

sword_man.gif posted:

malibu, but yeah

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sword_man.gif posted:

i guess money/autism/lonelyness/whatever makes you a giant prick. i remember him a few years back playing the woke card hard. hell i remember he had anita sarkssian and others at his mansion a few times. i am curious what changed him. i assume it was just for show or maybe he saw them as empty assholes or some poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 02:35 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i guess money/autism/lonelyness/whatever makes you a giant prick. i remember him a few years back playing the woke card hard. hell i remember he had anita sarkssian and others at his mansion a few times. i am curious what changed him. i assume it was just for show or maybe he saw them as empty assholes or some poo poo.

I think the constant, never ending back lash against him on twitter just got to him. poo poo like telling a random dev to keep trying/good work with their indie game and having the person demand that notch give them money while constantly insulting him. Hell even Lowtax starting insulting/pestering him demanding money for Minecraft's success.

• Locked thread