Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I guess I should take a defenseman at some point, so I'm going to start now with Cam Fowler and his very big contract.

If you want a defenseman I think you'll have to try picking again.

I will never not take the opportunity to poo poo on Cam Fowler especially with his new giant contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

JoelJoel posted:

Well, you gents are certainly not loving up my shirt list.

I get the gimmick, but, uh who? And after looking him up... is there something I'm missing about him?

And is it pronounced like "push" bit with an "e"?

The fact that he plays for the Hurricanes means he doesn't get much exposure, but he's a really good defenseman. As seen by the posted HERO chart, his shot suppression is really good, he generates a decent amount of shot attempts and offense, he improved quite a bit from 2015-16 to 2016-17 and he still has room to grow at age 22. I think he'll definitely be a part of why the Hurricanes get back into the playoffs this season which is why I had no problem picking him now as my 2nd pairing RHD.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Kilza posted:

The fact that he plays for the Hurricanes means he doesn't get much exposure, but he's a really good defenseman. As seen by the posted HERO chart, his shot suppression is really good, he generates a decent amount of shot attempts and offense, he improved quite a bit from 2015-16 to 2016-17 and he still has room to grow at age 22. I think he'll definitely be a part of why the Hurricanes get back into the playoffs this season which is why I had no problem picking him now as my 2nd pairing RHD.

Meh, small sample size blah blah. I guess my beef is really just that I don't know who he is and he doesn't do lots of points. Really question: was he picked last time and if so how'd he do in the eshl sim?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

JoelJoel posted:

Meh, small sample size blah blah. I guess my beef is really just that I don't know who he is and he doesn't do lots of points. Really question: was he picked last time and if so how'd he do in the eshl sim?

He did. He went ~425 last year so... While he may have had a good year, that seems like a bit of a gamble erring on the side of youth over skill. I think there are a lot of comparable guys in there early 20s that might have been safer choices, but who ever really can tell with that sort of thing?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I picked him last year and he was honestly my 2nd best defenseman

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Phone posting from vacation because I'm a big ole nerd but the Rangers take Corey Crawford if he is still available.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Ginette Reno has half an hour (or 8:10 PM EST) to pick. Jonathan Fisk and JoelJoel right up afterwards.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I have to run out for a bit, can I pm you my pick?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Feel free amigo

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Jonathan Fisk selects the spawn of Tie, Max Domi.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'll take Bo Horvat

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Domi is a good pick I thought about him last go around too.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

His fancies aren't great, but I do love me some Domi. His face is such a wonderful mashup of a beautiful woman and Tie Domi. Sucks he's stuck in Arizona until the end of time.

Anyway, the Stars are proud to select perennial 70 point scorer Mika Zibanejad.

Great 1-2 punch up the middle with Willy Ny. He brings speed, dangles, and most importantly, the flow.

Benn - Zbad -
- Nylander -

Gostisbehere -

Bob

Coming along.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Horvat's fancies suck too but hopefully that's just a product of being on the Canucks and his offensive stats have gone up each year he's been in the league which is promising

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I was hoping to not too many repeats from last years draft but the run on goalies earlier leaves me no choice but to draft Jake Allen

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was looking at Domi but man his fancies are just real bad The Mika pick is good. He's a solid second line centre / winger.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
How much of Domi having bad fancies is because he's on the Coyotes though?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

JoelJoel posted:

His fancies aren't great, but I do love me some Domi. His face is such a wonderful mashup of a beautiful woman and Tie Domi. Sucks he's stuck in Arizona until the end of time.

Anyway, the Stars are proud to select perennial 70 point scorer Mika Zibanejad.

Great 1-2 punch up the middle with Willy Ny. He brings speed, dangles, and most importantly, the flow.

Benn - Zbad -
- Nylander -

Gostisbehere -

Bob

Coming along.

I really wanted to take him last pick, but I figured at this rate, every single young potential top-4 defenseman will be gone by my next pick so I rolled the dice and hoped people would forget about him

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jamwad Hilder posted:

How much of Domi having bad fancies is because he's on the Coyotes though?

the eternal question

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Wild select Dmitry Orlov

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I don't really put a lot of stock in shot production/suppression as a useful individual metric, but even if I did I'd cut a 19 year old on a lottery team a break. Especially with his offensive skill to offset.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Horvat's fancies suck too but hopefully that's just a product of being on the Canucks and his offensive stats have gone up each year he's been in the league which is promising

He is quick as all hell and terrible defensively. He can't really pass either, he can just shoot and toe drag. He's a very unique player and our beautiful boy.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

lazerwolf posted:

Wild select Dmitry Orlov

good pick...jerk

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I don't really put a lot of stock in shot production/suppression as a useful individual metric, but even if I did I'd cut a 19 year old on a lottery team a break. Especially with his offensive skill to offset.

He's, uh, not 19.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

lazerwolf posted:

Wild select Dmitry Orlov

Fuuuuuuuu

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The majority of his games played were his 20yo season, but yeah off a year

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

lazerwolf posted:

Wild select Dmitry Orlov

I like that pick. I feel like he should've been picked a lot sooner over some of the other lefties taken.

Habibi up until 11:34 AM EST. eXXon and Verviticus up afterwards.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

T-Bone posted:

good pick...jerk

Not an empty quote.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Ginette Reno posted:

horvat's fancies suck because all he knows how to do is produce offense. shockingly, defensive talent doesnt translate from jrs to pro

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

stab posted:

Fuuuuuuuu

Lol, this was my pick had zbad gone. I almost wish he had so I could have snagged another one off your list.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Verviticus posted:

horvat's fancies suck because all he knows how to do is produce offense. shockingly, defensive talent doesnt translate from jrs to pro

Well you can't teach offense but you certainly can teach defense so hopefully Horvat can figure out the rest of the game because he already knows how to score.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Kilza posted:

Habibi up until 11:34 AM EST. eXXon and Verviticus up afterwards.

Morning lads.

24 more minutes for Habibi.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

John Carlson had a less than spectacular season but should be a good partner for OEL and his booming clapper.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Carlson was still on the board? I guess I just assumed he was taken. Definitely good value at this stage.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

T-Bone posted:

Carlson was still on the board? I guess I just assumed he was taken. Definitely good value at this stage.

Yeah I could have sworn he was gone already, oh well.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
e: thought I'd posted already, but apparently got distracted and the app saved it as a draft: Gimme Bryan Little.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Verviticus has until 1:54 PM EST, followed by Iodized QQ and Marc Bergevin stab to end Round 5 and start Round 6.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I debated John Carlson but he's getting paid in free agency and planning around a 12.5m cap hit is an art form

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

since I don't have to worry about the length of his contract in our fake league, give me TJ Oshie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
I took a trip to finland on my phone

Rasmus Ristolainen

And

TUUKAAAAAA TIME (which as a habs fan makes me feel dirty)

Tuukka Rask

• Locked thread