Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

VHGS posted:

Items are always in the same place, so you don't need to guess. But yeah, you just click on the slot to swing at it, and it'll reveal if you have enough gathering.

Motherfucker. I noticed this but somehow didn't connect the dots in my tiny lizard brain.

So if I know what's in a slot, I just click it, put on the collectors glove, then proceed to appraising but without the 300gp deficit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mordiceius posted:

So does that mean the person summoning can summon a primal that even they don't know exists? The Eorzeans had no idea who Shinryu was, but Yugiri knew. It just feels weird that it's not explained how he summoned fourth a primal of a mythic figure from another cultures folklore that he himself was unaware of.

This already kinda happened before.

During the first calamity, people were praying for a miracle. Louisoux was killed by Bahamut, and between everyone's prayers + his own aether, they created the primal Phoenix.

I think that's how it went anyways.

The naming thing was already covered. The Domans had myths about an angry dragon god. They saw an angry dragon god.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, almost complete, I can't pick between Blackflame and Blueflame. :ohdear:

Blue.

May not have obnoxiously huge lite brites on my hands, but at least I still have my old man staff. Also I love how many WHM poses look like shredding.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The naming thing was already covered. The Domans had myths about an angry dragon god. They saw an angry dragon god.

Yeah. I guess that does make the most sense. It's less about what it actually is and more about what it is interpreted as.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile, in Kugane

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Did the fundamental BLM rotation or usage of procs change at all with 4.05? How should Triplecast be used now that it's up every single minute? (Or Sharpcast for that matter, I never did really work that one out.)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 21, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Ciaphas posted:

Did the fundamental BLM rotation or usage of procs change at all with 4.05? How should Triplecast be used now that it's up every single minute? (Or Sharpcast for that matter, I never did really work that one out.)

I just use triplecast as soon as I'm about to cast three F4s in a row, and sharpcast as soon as I'm about to cast either Fire or Thunder. Preferably Thunder, but both Firestarter procs and Thundercloud procs (assuming they add at least 3 dot ticks or so) put out higher pps than Fire IV itself does, and we want to use every proc we can in order to buy time for Foul to charge.

You get sliiiightly better value if you don't Triplecast at the same time as you Leylines, for instance in my opener I go Triplecast, F4 Diversion F4 Sharpcast F4 Leylines, F1, F4 F4 F4...

As of the changes to mana costs in 4.05, you can cast five F4s and one F1 in each astral cycle without B4. With B4, you can cast... six F4s and one F1. That means that B4's utility on single targets is even shittier than before, and the only reason you should cast it is in your opener or if you've JUST cast Foul the instant it finished charging, i.e. you are going back into Astral with little or no visible purple on your Foul charge timer.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It also seems like primals have an "imprint" that they leave based on people's ideas and associations, which exists even when the primal hasn't been summoned and is what makes summon-egis work. This means that they have a certain amount of continuity between incarnations and don't need an art upgrade every time we repeat The Navel (Extreme).

If this exists before anybody summons it, it's possible that somebody doing a primal summoning flavored with "dragon" and "vengeance" and "calamity" was always going to get something resembling Shinryu because it was a pre-existing myth that matched those wishes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Hey Bob, fire up the random primal generator! This time the keywords are "anger" "hunger" and "tacos!"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ilifinicus posted:

you're either a giant piece of poo poo or should get better raid members because that's really lovely to even have the mindset to think of pulling
Whoa there buddy! clam down

It's actually the best of both worlds: I filled in for the shittiest static ever who were banging their heads against the Omega 1 Savage wall. I didn't bring food because who cares, but they made a big deal about how if you're not bringing food and pots, you're basically wasting everyone's time. So I went to get food, and one of their static members also had to go pick up food. When we came back, that guy in their own static was the one who had a +1 vit bonus, and when they called him out he said some version of "hurr hurr uhhhh I'm poor."

Then they failed every mechanic and ran off the edge a bunch until I gave up and left.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Umbreon posted:

So if I know what's in a slot, I just click it, put on the collectors glove, then proceed to appraising but without the 300gp deficit?

Yeah, exactly. It costs a gathering attempt, but you can always get more than one of those out of the gp once you get to 56 or so.

Unrelated, whoever was complaining about crafter yellow scrips the other day, I agree, but also try Blacksmith out. You need some other classes for mats, but it gives a pretty good amount and doesn't take any random drops. I was able to gather up the mats myself and craft enough for about 1500 scrips in under 3 hours.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mordiceius posted:

Hey Bob, fire up the random primal generator! This time the keywords are "anger" "hunger" and "tacos!"

Alright what can I do for you?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Mordiceius posted:

So Cynthia, the suburban mom at Taco Bell who wants to speak with the manager?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Thundarr posted:

I think it was less trying to do something specific and more "gently caress everyone".

At most, more evidence that the 12 can't actually be summoned as primals.

Of course, there's also the entire question of If The Twelve are even real and not just mythology themselves. But either way, if you did summon one of The Twelve as a Primal, it would just be a Primal taking on the form of one of them, rather then the actual deity (again, if they actually exist.)

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Alright what can I do for you?

my path is blocked by a pile of tacos

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

The Sims 3, 2009

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dr Pepper posted:

Of course, there's also the entire question of If The Twelve are even real and not just mythology themselves. But either way, if you did summon one of The Twelve as a Primal, it would just be a Primal taking on the form of one of them, rather then the actual deity (again, if they actually exist.)

Isn't the Garlean position that the twelve are dimly remembered primals that haven't been summoned in a really long time? That seems fairly plausible, that's basically what half the primals we see are for beast tribes

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

sounds like a good problem to have.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Magil Zeal posted:

I've been playing a ladyfell since beta 3 and can't say I've had this problem, unless you mean the /pet emotes. That happens occasionally.
Do you wear clothes? I bet you wear clothes. I wear clothes. Maybe that's the secret ingredient.

I do get the /pet emotes, but it's from other goons and none are BFM so it's okay.

Freaksaus posted:

Meanwhile, in Kugane

If there's anything I really missed last year it's those emotes. I will pay full dollar for every single one of them if it comes around.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Bell_ posted:

If there's anything I really missed last year it's those emotes. I will pay full dollar for every single one of them if it comes around.

These?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

i don't remember the dialogue exactly, but the impression i got is that ilberd just got a generic gently caress-off powerful dragon, and it was named after something from doman mythology because they were the first to give it a name

Yeah, Zenos says as much too when he first shows you Shinryu in the cutscene at the end of Ala Mhigo. Shinryu wasn't shaped by any mythos, just Ilberd's raw desire to gently caress everyone over. hence why it's called "a creature of pure violence."

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 21, 2017

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Ok the logo for Taco Time is a cactus, so the primal is a giant Cactar.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

cheetah7071 posted:

Isn't the Garlean position that the twelve are dimly remembered primals that haven't been summoned in a really long time? That seems fairly plausible, that's basically what half the primals we see are for beast tribes

Yeah pretty much. And 12 worship is so old no one can say anything beyond what the mythology says.

At least with Shiva, Bahamut and Garuda we know about them in reality. The 12 are a magnitute older than all of them.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Is there a way to unlock all the 2.x dungeons and trials like the Hard-mode Primals without doing the Relic Reborn quest?

I want the dungeons and trials, I'd prefer to avoid the bullshit. Especially because I already got an Ironworks Axe.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

bewilderment posted:

Is there a way to unlock all the 2.x dungeons and trials like the Hard-mode Primals without doing the Relic Reborn quest?

I want the dungeons and trials, I'd prefer to avoid the bullshit. Especially because I already got an Ironworks Axe.

Only two forgettable trials (chimera and hydra) are locked behind the relic quest, and even they only require you to go halfway through the first step, which is extremely fast and not grindy like later steps

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

bewilderment posted:

only trials locked behind the relic quest are chimera and hydra, which are pretty safely skippable. although if you really do want to unlock those just to say you have them they are very early in the relic questline and dont take long to reach.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sotar posted:

Ok the logo for Taco Time is a cactus, so the primal is a giant Cactar.

Hangry Sabotender

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

These might come in handy.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Augus posted:

only trials locked behind the relic quest are chimera and hydra, which are pretty safely skippable. although if you really do want to unlock those just to say you have them they are very early in the relic questline and dont take long to reach.

Whoops, somehow I thought stuff like Amdapor Keep was locked behind it too. If it's just Hydra and Chimera I suppose I won't bother. Chimera I might do but I'm not gonna tool around killing 24 enemies just to fight an average boss.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

a kitten posted:

These might come in handy.

Some good macros right there.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Thanks a lot, now I'm $7.50 poorer.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Bell_ posted:

Do you wear clothes? I bet you wear clothes. I wear clothes. Maybe that's the secret ingredient.

I do get the /pet emotes, but it's from other goons and none are BFM so it's okay.

:same: I ended up splurging on both them and the playdead emote last night when they announced they were going in the store.

Gotta say, getting a lot of mileage out of playdead.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Potato /playdeads *are* pretty good.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah pretty much. And 12 worship is so old no one can say anything beyond what the mythology says.

At least with Shiva, Bahamut and Garuda we know about them in reality. The 12 are a magnitute older than all of them.

Yeah, Twelve Worship was a thing at least as far back as the Third Astral Era.

I mean, nothing's actually been said one way about it in the game.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Freaksaus posted:

Meanwhile, in Kugane

wish theyd add the maid outfits to the shop or at least re release them in NA

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Rascyc posted:

Supposedly the super savage is going to be an ff14 original. Should be some prelim news from Yoshida I think through some random interview.

quote:

Naoki Yoshida:
Production is moving along smoothly, and just looking at the specification documents that detail the battle mechanics makes me a bit dizzy—there is a lot going on during the fight. I think the battle will have a very special feel, and also be nostalgic to some players in its difficulty, but you will have to wait for more information in an upcoming Letter from the Producer LIVE leading up to Patch 4.1.

By the way, we won’t be calling it “V5.0 (Savage)”. We are creating an independent battle, and we plan to make it into series. There is a name already decided for the series, and while I would love to tell you…I can’t yet! :p

Interview: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m6okFR8siR1fS47Nmm5YoB6CGQKUlCVSZpTYgueWOrA/edit?pageId=116256743700951463649

or the "MrHappy" YT version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58rQL4WNOqs

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rascyc posted:

Whoever was talking about an AST/SCH clear for Neo Exdeath here's the video of Unreal's kill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJIu31pFCKc if people were still curious.

Does anyone know what the parser skin that Jump is using, in bottom left? It looks like Rainbowmage default but with columns for crit/DH/maxdamage/deaths. I want it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So has anyone else just been hit randomly for 40k during O4N? Never had it happen before in any attempt until now. Killed 4 people outright which caused a wipe and then two the second attempt, and we salaved it. doesn't show up in the combat log for any of us and ACT lists it as an "unknown source" very strange.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

cheetah7071 posted:

The 12 being ancient beings of great power and not being primals wouldn't be new. The elementals of Gridania aren't primals (in theory). You also have the great wyrms like Midgarsorymr and Nidhogg.

Hell, the 12 could've been ascians for all we know considering that to a normal person they'd be pretty godlike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MotU posted:

wish theyd add the maid outfits to the shop or at least re release them in NA
They were the amazon promo last year, kinda like the journey to the west one was this year.

Kind of surprising they haven't dropped them on the shop though. Or let you store them in the armoire or get them from the reclaim shop or something.