Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

cowofwar posted:

lol

I've got a friend who's a prof now who went to stfx. He has and wears the dumb ring.

For fucks sake it's in the loving logo

I bet they all really like Canadian rules football too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

namaste faggots posted:

Can you count to 10

Yes, but only because I went to a college after to become an accountant.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mojo1701a posted:

Yes, but only because I went to a college after to become an accountant.

Ooh, which college? I like colleges.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Subjunctive posted:

Ooh, which college? I like colleges.

Mohawk. It actually got me my current job. I can actually take a vacation now!

Fun fact: I actually found a book by one of my university professors on display somewhere near the faculty's offices. It referred to him as the "Canadian Noam Chomsky."

In case you're wondering... uh, no. Also he was a huge dick.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lakehead right

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Fort McMurray is rebounding more quickly than expected from the loss of 2,500 homes in a devastating wildfire last year, with one-third of destroyed houses now under reconstruction in the northern Alberta city.

A new report by Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. says rebuilding has started on a total of 844 homes that were destroyed by fire in May, 2016, with 722 of the projects launching in the first half of 2017 and the rest launched in 2016.

Story is from the cbc google it yourself

loving lol gently caress Alberta

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

namaste faggots posted:

Story is from the cbc google it yourself

loving lol gently caress Alberta

Speaking of the CBC, Peter Mansbridge got an honourary JD at my convocation in 2010. Yeah.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
When your degree is worthless you can afford to give them to anyone

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

At least he didn't have to pay for his.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Btw if you didn't hate st fx already, Brian Mulroney went there

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the worst and dumbest instructor i ever had went to St. FX and wore the ring every day. they were teaching at a community college in labrador lmao

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Majuju posted:

This building just completed in my neighbourhood, extremely affordable, A++, please just choke me to death with all the supply, mister mayor

:tviv:

D 1 bed 543 sf 60 sf north west $1,995 Click Here
I 2 beds 676 sf - south east $2,450 Click Here

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The unit above us with the same floorplan as us, but without the 900sq ft patio went for $25k more than we paid for our unit.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
As a University of Ottawa dropout, I would like to nominate it as Canada's worst university.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
LOL I'm looking at BMW X3s out of curiosity of what they cost and look at this poo poo, it's spreading to entry-level SUVs now:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Cars no longer lose value, unless rebuilt, and even then. Pretty much everything manufactured since '09 is in that boat.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Mozi posted:

... they don't call themselves the X-Men, do they?

In the wake of the weapon x program, it was decided they needed a friendlier face.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Brandon University has been consistently ranked the bottom or bottom 5 universities in Canada.

gently caress it no one cares they just look at the letters by your name not where you got them from.

If they did no one would take online MBAs

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Rime posted:

Cars no longer lose value, unless rebuilt, and even then. Pretty much everything manufactured since '09 is in that boat.

The point is all the lust prices end in 888.

Also your comment is moronic, a new X3 is still like $55k, those cars all lost half their value in 4 years.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

apatheticman posted:

Brandon University has been consistently ranked the bottom or bottom 5 universities in Canada.

gently caress it no one cares they just look at the letters by your name not where you got them from.

Bro do you even linkedin

kejting
Jul 17, 2017
I really can't justify moving out of my rental and buying a place with the way the market is ATM. Am I being dumb because "muh home equity" or is waiting out the market the right thing to do?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I was just discussing this with my wife but we really haven't missed out on building any equity simply because we have access to better financial services than most people. Robotraders like wealth bar aren't bad but if you aren't investing your money in your TFSA and rrsp you might as well rely on housing as your retirement plan. This is the saddest part about the demise of defined benefit pensions. Investing is hard and is really really hard if you don't have the capital to access decent financial advisors. Read : not loving mutual fund salesmen. Defined benefit pensions solved this problem.

Pro tip never buy deferred sales commission funds.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

apatheticman posted:

Not true, but you can live a pretty fulfilling life without ever encountering the people who do care.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

I was just discussing this with my wife but we really haven't missed out on building any equity simply because we have access to better financial services than most people. Robotraders like wealth bar aren't bad but if you aren't investing your money in your TFSA and rrsp you might as well rely on housing as your retirement plan. This is the saddest part about the demise of defined benefit pensions. Investing is hard and is really really hard if you don't have the capital to access decent financial advisors. Read : not loving mutual fund salesmen. Defined benefit pensions solved this problem.

Pro tip never buy deferred sales commission funds.

Managed investments rarely beat the market though. Why not just go through index funds and get an average 8% return? Are your managed assets doing way better than that over the long term?

If so, I want to know who manages your money because my parents have a lot and their investments that are professionally managed pretty much match the market.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My mom got to go to St fx for free cuz she's a senior, which is pretty cool. You see the rings on like, giant toger stockers round Cape Breton all the time.

Real answer has to be capilano col^H^H^Huniversity tho right?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Where are you getting 8% from buddy. Robos are gonna give you 4-6% at best. Are you like 50% into the nasdaq or something.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

Where are you getting 8% from buddy. Robos are gonna give you 4-6% at best. Are you like 50% into the nasdaq or something.

You gotta get in on the "Buy 5k of NFLX everytime a new terrible adam sandler movie lands" strategy. 10k if you watch it, shame investing

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I have like 40% of my TFSA holding AMD right now, I've diversified by also holding NVDA and bitcoin :razz:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Risky Bisquick posted:

I have like 40% of my TFSA holding AMD right now, I've diversified by also holding NVDA and bitcoin :razz:

loving lol

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I have a defined benefits pension, what's so great about them?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

jet sanchEz posted:

You are guaranteed a specific payout regardless of market conditions?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

jet sanchEz posted:

You basically don't have to worry about having enough capital to generate enough returns to keep your loving rear end alive when you can't work anymore.

I have to make sure I have [xxxx] million generating 5 or 6% a year. I also have to make sure whoever is managing my money at that time is doing his job.

If you have a defined benefit pension you can basically Yolo your income away if you're a profligate waste.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also you only need to contribute a couple percent usually and get like, 75% of your final year salary until you die or w/e. Just on the numbers alone they're also extremely generous.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

If you can't figure out the profound error of that analysis then

Lol gently caress it stop posting dumb assholes

Maybe you should let her professors know about this supposed error considering that she successfully defended this masters thesis.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

Just anecdotal. Following Canadian Couch Potato's advice. Vanguard ETFs usually do about 8% over the long term.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Well, when the economy crashes wiping out your investments, and your defined benefit pensions are quietly axed with tiny payouts, just remember the best retirement investment you can make:

:yum:

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

Just buying some reasonable collection of low-cost ETFs and holding has crushed basically every 'decent financial advisor' for the past 10 years now. I understand that most people don't do this but it's certainly not what I'd call hard, especially not in this market. When things go south we'll see how many people stick to their 100% S&P portfolios though or just panic sell.

Defined benefit pensions solved two problems -- equity allocation AND bad savings habits (forced savings via mortgages also helped there). That plus the housing bubble basically idiot-proofed retirement for a whole generation of people.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

gently caress low cost ETFs plow everything into unregulated Mortgage Investment Corporations. YOLO ! Housing can never go down.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hahaha are you two fuckwits getting masters degree in real estate at ubc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

blah_blah posted:

Just buying some reasonable collection of low-cost ETFs and holding has crushed basically every 'decent financial advisor' for the past 10 years now. I understand that most people don't do this but it's certainly not what I'd call hard, especially not in this market. When things go south we'll see how many people stick to their 100% S&P portfolios though or just panic sell.

Defined benefit pensions solved two problems -- equity allocation AND bad savings habits (forced savings via mortgages also helped there). That plus the housing bubble basically idiot-proofed retirement for a whole generation of people.

If you'd bought etfs 10-20 years ago you'd be really well off. Do you think buying an etf today and holding it for the next 30 years is going to yield an equivalent performance? Larry Summers doesn't think so.

If you'd bought an etf in 2008-9, you'd be kicking rear end so hard. We all know why don't we? On the other hand if you'd bought it in 2006, where would you be now?

Imagine buying some poo poo like $SPY in 2007. You'd be up 60% over 10 years. That's 6% year which is pretty ok. My wife's employer loving ploughed cash into the market after lehman monday. I was making GBS threads my pants wondering if I'd have a job in the next couple weeks. I think that kind of resolve is worth paying money for. I'm going to stick my neck out there and say that even the most advanced algo trader (or ~AI~)isn't going to know what to do in a situation like that.

My point is, if you're young and you don't know what to do with your money, it's unlikely that the wealth your parents accumulated are ever going to show up in quite the same way for you in the next 50 years. So yeah, I guess go ahead and bank your future on a human centipede of chained mortgages. You're going to get bailed out anyway.