Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Cars will tailgate you @ 80mph then act like you've got a vest and are hollering 'allahu ackbar' when you get to a sensor light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Duck_King posted:

I was in a turn lane last week that was not sensing me, so I turned and beckoned the soccer mom behind me to close the gap while I made space forward. She look at me, and refused. I made more hand signals, and pointed at where she should be, and she shook her head, refusing. I pointed to the light, pointed to her car, pointed to the empty space, and then after a few more seconds, she very slowly, very cautiously crept forward, even though she was more than a car length behind.

Some people...

"Today some rear end in a top hat murdercyclist was waving his arms at me like a maniac! Then he tore off at 100 mph, weaving through traffic. Can you believe those people?"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Duck_King posted:

I was in a turn lane last week that was not sensing me, so I turned and beckoned the soccer mom behind me to close the gap while I made space forward. She look at me, and refused. I made more hand signals, and pointed at where she should be, and she shook her head, refusing. I pointed to the light, pointed to her car, pointed to the empty space, and then after a few more seconds, she very slowly, very cautiously crept forward, even though she was more than a car length behind.

Some people...

I once saw a huge, probably 500m, unusual-for-the-area queue leading up to a turn lane at a light. When I neared the front I saw a guy in your situation who was so desperate he had put his bike on the stand and was standing there shouting and waving his arms trying to convince the person beyond to creep forward like 3m.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

I once saw a huge, probably 500m, unusual-for-the-area queue leading up to a turn lane at a light. When I neared the front I saw a guy in your situation who was so desperate he had put his bike on the stand and was standing there shouting and waving his arms trying to convince the person beyond to creep forward like 3m.

Flipside of that coin: I'll wave someone up close to me, if they refuse, I'll gladly sit there until they give up and go straight instead. Then I'll run the light because that's a thing we can do now in VA. :smug:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Duck_King posted:

Some people...

This exact thing happens to me all the time. I wonder what they think you are asking of them. It's so frustrating.

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Correlation doesnt equal causation but I decided to record a video with my phone while its on the RAM mount and I had 5 separate people pull out infront of me on the way home instead of the usual 2 :v:.

Perhaps you were distracted by the new phone mount and stuff and were slightly less attentive? IE, you weren't looking far enough ahead or being slightly less aware?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Duck_King posted:

Some people...
I've hated when drivers don't pull forward at lights. When I'm on my bike (pedal, mostly) I end up beckoning people to move forward pretty often at one particular light. Drives me nuts. Dammit, space is good, but you don't need 3 car lengths between us.

I've always figured the best use of a tiny car (Fiat 500, SMART) etc would be to pull in front of those idiots at lights. (No, I'm not dumb enough to do this on the motorcycle)

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 17, 2017

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I was extremely happy last time I got stuck and the UPS driver right behind me knew exactly what I was waving my arms about :kimchi:

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

ilkhan posted:

I've hated when drivers don't pull forward at lights. When I'm on my bike (pedal, mostly) I end up beckoning people to move forward pretty often at one particular light. Drives me nuts. Dammit, space is good, but you don't need 3 car lengths between us.

I've always figured the best use of a tiny car (Fiat 500, SMART) etc would be to pull in front of those idiots at lights. (No, I'm not dumb enough to do this on the motorcycle)

I've gotten off my bike before to gesture that if they don't move up, we're not going anywhere on this left turn anytime soon. doing a sweeping arm Vanna White thing followed by a big thumbs up when they do it seems to work well.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I just run a light if there is no one around. Why bother dealing with other humans on the road if not needed?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Coydog posted:

This exact thing happens to me all the time. I wonder what they think you are asking of them. It's so frustrating.
I've done that a bunch of times and the driver seems to understand just fine each time.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ilkhan posted:

Not dumb enough to filter like most of the world does?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

PCOS Bill posted:

Not dumb enough to filter like most of the world does?
I do filter, I'm not dumb enough to filter forward and then cut in front of the car, though. That sounds like an invitation to road rage.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
5 days later and I'm noticing discoloration around my road rash. :smithicide: Time to go to the hospital...

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Chichevache posted:

5 days later and I'm noticing discoloration around my road rash. :smithicide: Time to go to the hospital...

Good call. Better safe than sorry.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That just means the banana is almost ripe. Give it a few more days.

E: Put it in a paper bag to ripen it quickly.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm usually ATGATT, but I had to work this past weekend and it was hot as hell, so I rode in shorts, t-shirt, boat shoes, plus helmet and gloves. It definitely felt sketch on the freeway, then I felt like a squid when I saw other bikers all geared up. It's not even fun to avoid wearing gear.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Bananana posted:

Good call. Better safe than sorry.

Good news! No infection, I just have a hematoma forming because I ground off a few blood vessels so everything was pooling in my elbow!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Chichevache posted:

Good news! No infection, I just have a hematoma forming because I ground off a few blood vessels so everything was pooling in my elbow!

What were you wearing? Curious to how your gear held up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

big money big clit posted:

What were you wearing? Curious to how your gear held up.

Textile jacket and mesh pants. The jacket looks like I was attacked by a police dog.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

How fast were you going?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
in before nsaP says "not fast enough"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Bananana posted:

How fast were you going?

75 at the start. Probably slower when I hit the ground.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

in before nsaP says "not fast enough"

If I had been going faster they wouldn't have been able to brake check me. :shepicide:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm usually ATGATT, but I had to work this past weekend and it was hot as hell, so I rode in shorts, t-shirt, boat shoes, plus helmet and gloves. It definitely felt sketch on the freeway, then I felt like a squid when I saw other bikers all geared up. It's not even fun to avoid wearing gear.

Riding without any piece of gear, especially sans gloves or even just with my helmet flipped up, feels like not wearing a seatbelt in a car. I feel way less secure to the point it actively impedes my riding ability.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Chichevache posted:

Textile jacket and mesh pants. The jacket looks like I was attacked by a police dog.

Where did you end up with rash? Did the armor in both hold up?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

he posted pics in the crash thread finally

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3091384&pagenumber=143&perpage=40#post474503062

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

What the gently caress is wrong with some people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5rS89lnTck&t=166s

For context I was splitting at moderate speed and at the time of the douchebag occurrence had my right blinker on.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

pokie posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with some people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5rS89lnTck&t=166s

For context I was splitting at moderate speed and at the time of the douchebag occurrence had my right blinker on.

Hey buddy, you got a time stamp?

Edit
Nevermind. loving awful app.

Double edit

Did you check your mirrors? I know I get frustrated when I'm trapped behind a slow splitter for several minutes.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 21, 2017

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
For some reason the timestamp didn't work on first click so I spent a couple of minutes amazed at how many people noticed you and moved left to clear room, wondering when some dick would swing right to try and cut you off.

Nope, some pirate on a Road Glide who thinks you aren't splitting fast enough. Given the way he seems to talk with his hands I'm surprised he wasn't riding something Italian.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

several minutes? just split the next lane over and pass them

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Chichevache posted:

Hey buddy, you got a time stamp?

Edit
Nevermind. loving awful app.

Double edit

Did you check your mirrors? I know I get frustrated when I'm trapped behind a slow splitter for several minutes.

I fold my mirrors when splitting. As I said though, I indicated that I was leaving this lane - there was no reason for this guy to pass me. Also this highway stretch of my commute is only about 5 minutes long. If traffic was lighter, I would pull over and let potential followers pass me. I have done that twice during this commute. If they couldn't catch up and pass me then, it's on them. Either way, I wasn't splitting all that slow - certainly not slow or long enough to trigger this manbaby.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

A MIRACLE posted:

several minutes? just split the next lane over and pass them

101 is a lot more densely packed than 280.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Chichevache posted:

101 is a lot more densely packed than 280.

This is 280.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

101 sucks a lot until you get past calabasas. The 10 is a breeze to split, I miss my commute to culver city sometimes. Now I'm northbound to Glendale on the 2, there's 0 traffic both ways and I can go like 80

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

pokie posted:

This is 280.

Yeah, that's my point. On 280 there is room for a maneuver like that. On 101 there is barely room to fit between the cars.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pokie posted:

I fold my mirrors when splitting. As I said though, I indicated that I was leaving this lane - there was no reason for this guy to pass me. Also this highway stretch of my commute is only about 5 minutes long. If traffic was lighter, I would pull over and let potential followers pass me. I have done that twice during this commute. If they couldn't catch up and pass me then, it's on them. Either way, I wasn't splitting all that slow - certainly not slow or long enough to trigger this manbaby.

I'd say you should keep your mirrors unfolded when splitting - wait, is this on the MV? Replace the mirrors with something better, because the biggest problem is not cars, it's other loving bikers. I've had more close calls recently due to bikers than cars.

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!

pokie posted:

I thought the pass was fine, I don't get what all the gesticulating is meant to accomplish. Is this some kind of California DMV reccommended method of keeping your pits sparkly fresh?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Commuting there looks like a goddamned nightmare.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Z3n posted:

I'd say you should keep your mirrors unfolded when splitting - wait, is this on the MV? Replace the mirrors with something better, because the biggest problem is not cars, it's other loving bikers. I've had more close calls recently due to bikers than cars.

I have replaced the mirrors with the "lanesplitters". I guess I can keep one of those unfolded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pokie posted:

I have replaced the mirrors with the "lanesplitters". I guess I can keep one of those unfolded.

Yeah like - the worst thing is some loving dickhead behind you who's too loving eager to pass and puts you both at risk. My MO is immediately signaling, pulling in to first reasonable available gap, and waving them by when I see them, no ambiguity about what I want them to do. Idiots in front of you is always better than idiots behind you.