Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Lester Shy posted:

I have a gigantic backlog and about 80% of it is bundle trash, which makes searching for a new game to play a drag. Are there any websites/utilities that let me search the games I own sorted by different criteria? Ideally I'd love something that showed me games I own with less than 5 hours playtime sorted by genre/average steam review score. Does anything like this exist?

http://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/skyroguegame/status/888186403619786758

Steam thread, I beg of thee: is this game any good?

If the concept sounds interesting to you you'll probably like it. And yeah I didn't realize it was a roguelite in any way until I re-read the store page like 3 months after buying it, because the only roguelike elements are that you have to start over on your upgrades on death and the islands are randomly generated.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Started playing Shadow Warrior which was free on Humble Store. Pretty fun first person shooter even though melee is the most fun part of the combat. I just went in the insane difficulty right away. The game is not that hard since u can save at ANY point which is ridiculous.

But you can die to almost any mob in the game if you don't play correctly to the situation. Reminds me kind of a FPS DmC with less emphasis on combos and more on skills/talents. The story and dialogue is some good comedy which is rare in games.

Tutorial does an awful job of how you should play this game though. Basically dashing around like a maniac and going wild is the best way to play this. If you try to play methodical or slow it just doesn't work especially in Insanity mode every area has huge mobs so if you stay in one part of the area you get cornered immediately.

Atleast in insane your forced to use everything to survive which kind leads you into play the right way. Mixing high speed melee combat with some ability usage.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

explosivo posted:

Anyone playing 'Gigantic'? Saw the Giantbomb quicklook for this today and thought I'd give it a try. Still working my way through the required bot matches but it seems pretty neat so far!

Yup, made a thread too but it's pretty dead. Game is fun, not exactly sure it has super long legs but it feels pretty good when a hero build just clicks and you start tearing through people.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

tecnocrat posted:

Children of Zodiarcs is pretty good. It's scratching that FFT itch quite nicely. I'm not sure how I'll feel about the dice mechanic toward the end, but for now it's pretty entertaining.

I am still really enjoying the game. Though I discovered last night that you can knock over dice (in my case to something much much worse) you didn't select to reroll as the rerolled dice slam in to them. Whoops! That lead to a party wipe.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hmmm, I might have a Warhammer problem.

My actual problem is that I never uninstall anything but still.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Orv posted:

Well, one of those games is good at least.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Inquisitor Martyr is getting there, but yeaaaaaaaaah.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Count Uvula posted:

If the concept sounds interesting to you you'll probably like it. And yeah I didn't realize it was a roguelite in any way until I re-read the store page like 3 months after buying it, because the only roguelike elements are that you have to start over on your upgrades on death and the islands are randomly generated.

so, all of the elements

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
there was a big update to monolith i'm about to check out

im glad that game seems to be picking up steam, it only had like 7 reviews when i bought it but it's up to 100 now

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/skyroguegame/status/888186403619786758

Steam thread, I beg of thee: is this game any good?

I like Sky Rogue. When I first started I didn't live long enough to even notice that levels were randomly generated. It's fun arcade action.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Has anyone played Kingdoms and Castles? I've been jonesing for a new Banished/Anno-esque city builder, but the positive reviews all say it's really buggy and that gives me pause.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Deakul posted:

Yet another great game concept ruined by being a loving roguelike.

:ohdear:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
GMG has Gal*Gun Double Peace for under $10 and goes even lower with the SUMMER2017 promo code for flashes. They've been having some pretty good flash deals each day.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Waffle! posted:

I like Sky Rogue. When I first started I didn't live long enough to even notice that levels were randomly generated. It's fun arcade action.

Yeah, it's simple and fun. Really, really arcadey though. By which I mean sometimes it gets really hard.

Protip: scroll past any Deakul posts.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Samuringa posted:

You're doing better than me, somehow I had a problem with Far Cry 4 that could only be fixed by unplugging my controller - otherwise I'd get a blackscreen.

Not that I wanted to play with a controller, but still weird.
The fact that the game saves when IT wants rather then when I want is infuriating. I had two crashes during 5 hours of play (counting the replay of the intro section) and each set me back about half an hour of exploration.

gently caress off Ubisoft, just start implementing (optional, if you absolutely have to) manual saves like a sane person.

Edit:

Ulio posted:

The game is not that hard since u can save at ANY point which is ridiculous.

JFC, is that where we are right now?

Also, my one co-op experience was with a person who alternated between running around aimlessly and trying to kill me.

Wonder if there's a "co-op games with goons" thread somewhere.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 21, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Orv posted:

Inquisitor Martyr is getting there, but yeaaaaaaaaah.

Wasn't that an iOS game?

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Xander77 posted:

The fact that the game saves when IT wants rather then when I want is infuriating. I had two crashes during 5 hours of play (counting the replay of the intro section) and each set me back about half an hour of exploration.

gently caress off Ubisoft, just start implementing (optional, if you absolutely have to) manual saves like a sane person.

On release, I lost a whole lot of progress when running through the jungle and this happened https://vine.co/v/OvnAhHieM2r
My hands were completely off the keyboard

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

Wasn't that an iOS game?

Nah, this one's like a WH40K ARPG, where you make your own inquisitor and run around stomping on demons. I haven't played it, because I don't really do EA games, and I've heard it's pretty round round the edges, but it looks like it could turn out really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BlahcrV4Mc

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Wasn't that an iOS game?

Gerblyn posted:

Nah, this one's like a WH40K ARPG, where you make your own inquisitor and run around stomping on demons. I haven't played it, because I don't really do EA games, and I've heard it's pretty round round the edges, but it looks like it could turn out really good.

That was the video game adaptation of Eisenhorn which was tremendously bad.

Martyr is a "tactical ARPG" by the Van Helsing guys, focusing on cover, giant enemy swarms and a persistent live game after launch, to interest people in continuing to grind and progress, where they'll release a bunch of free DLC with new enemy factions and stuff.

It's super rough now, as they're actually selling an alpha state game for the purposes of feedback and testing, and I cannot in any way recommend that you get it right now. I'll yell at this thread when it comes out and let you know my thoughts, but right now they way it's headed I'm expecting a solid, but not overly remarkable ARPG, a la the VH games.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, that sounds interesting. Does the main character has the volume permanently dialed up to 11?

This is important for a Warhammer game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Insofar there is no dialogue for the main character, but they're holding the SP campaign bits back for launch or immediately before, which is currently for early 2018 or super late this year.

E: There is this trailer, featuring Inquisitor Noeyebrowus, which is probably indicative of the level of camp you should expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQYtbAnRy98

Orv fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 21, 2017

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Orv posted:

If you aren't playing Dawn of War 1/2 then you have a bad games problem.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Orv posted:

it's that vermintide aint on the list

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Orv posted:

Insofar there is no dialogue for the main character, but they're holding the SP campaign bits back for launch or immediately before, which is currently for early 2018 or super late this year.

E: There is this trailer, featuring Inquisitor Noeyebrowus, which is probably indicative of the level of camp you should expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQYtbAnRy98

Campy enough. Into the wishlist you go.

Orv
May 4, 2011

pentyne posted:

If you aren't playing Dawn of War 1/2 then you have a bad games problem.

Played 'em to death.

Digirat posted:

it's that vermintide aint on the list

Super dislike L4D-alikes/horde games.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
So Origin is having a sale at the moment (Already picked up Titanfall 2).
The latest Need For Speed is only 16 bux and I swear I heard someone in here talk about it that it was pretty decent. Any opinions on it? I didn't really care for reboot Most Wanted at all and that was the last one I played. I'm fine with decent but not outstanding games when they're only half an hour of work.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Cojawfee posted:

I've always thought that it means someone is above things and aware of what's going on.

So "woke" kind of just means "awake."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Orv posted:

Super dislike L4D-alikes/horde games.

That's a shame, because twatting a skaven in the head with a massive gently caress off hammer is kind of the best. Plus the banter between the party members is fun. And the witch hunter voice actor is chewing as much scenery as he can cram into his face.

I wasn't expecting huge things of Vermintide but I had an absolute blast with it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

credburn posted:

It's like the past tense of wake up

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

Yeah, but in this context it means "Awake to the truth about society (from a liberal perspective)". It's a left wing equivalent to that "Taken the Red Pill" phrase that MRAs and the Alt-Right use.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

That's a shame, because twatting a skaven in the head with a massive gently caress off hammer is kind of the best. Plus the banter between the party members is fun. And the witch hunter voice actor is chewing as much scenery as he can cram into his face.

I wasn't expecting huge things of Vermintide but I had an absolute blast with it.

Yeah, it's not like "gently caress all these things, they suck!", I wish I did like them, but the way they're designed and what I want from them diverge a little too much. I think I've talked about it before but I'll just say this quickly;

First, they're insufficiently random to play as much as most people put time into them (for my brain/tastes.) In the linear ones like L4D and Vermintide, special enemies pretty much always show up in the same place, map/campaign end holdouts pretty much always happen the same way, stuff like that. In the more arena ones like Payday and Killing Floor, the waves are fairly same-y, the ramp up is pretty similar on each map, and spawns can only really be so shifted around because players are often spread out. Compare these to a MOBA or a more traditional PvP shooter, where you can play the same map five hundred times and get completely unique experiences each time, and they don't hold my interest for as long as I'd like.

Secondly, and more importantly, they diverge pretty sharply in design from what I want for a purely co-op game (versus modes in these are terrible), which is just kind of a hangout space that happens to have a game attached. If I'm playing something purely co-op, it's usually because I want to chat and hangout with people whose company I enjoy, just generally bullshitting and having fun. These games all focus more on progression pushing, and when even the basic enemies start to be dangerous enough that you have to really focus and pay attention, I start losing my reason to play them.

Really it's just a perfect storm of not being for me, which is a shame because I did enjoy the Vermintide beta and weekends I've played, but I know I'd run out of interest for it pretty quickly.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
How well does Vermintide scale if you don't play with a full 4 players? Like, L4D was a pain with less than 4players since the bots kind of sucked.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Orv posted:

Yeah, it's not like "gently caress all these things, they suck!", I wish I did like them, but the way they're designed and what I want from them diverge a little too much. I think I've talked about it before but I'll just say this quickly;

First, they're insufficiently random to play as much as most people put time into them (for my brain/tastes.) In the linear ones like L4D and Vermintide, special enemies pretty much always show up in the same place, map/campaign end holdouts pretty much always happen the same way, stuff like that. In the more arena ones like Payday and Killing Floor, the waves are fairly same-y, the ramp up is pretty similar on each map, and spawns can only really be so shifted around because players are often spread out. Compare these to a MOBA or a more traditional PvP shooter, where you can play the same map five hundred times and get completely unique experiences each time, and they don't hold my interest for as long as I'd like.

Secondly, and more importantly, they diverge pretty sharply in design from what I want for a purely co-op game (versus modes in these are terrible), which is just kind of a hangout space that happens to have a game attached. If I'm playing something purely co-op, it's usually because I want to chat and hangout with people whose company I enjoy, just generally bullshitting and having fun. These games all focus more on progression pushing, and when even the basic enemies start to be dangerous enough that you have to really focus and pay attention, I start losing my reason to play them.

Really it's just a perfect storm of not being for me, which is a shame because I did enjoy the Vermintide beta and weekends I've played, but I know I'd run out of interest for it pretty quickly.

Yeah, that's all fair enough - to your second point, I've found that Vermintide sidesteps some of this because you can set difficulty levels and because once you get decent equipment the higher levels get easier too. Payday 2 is similar in that on the easier difficulty levels it's just a hilarious murderfest where the players are as gods unto the enemies.

Gerblyn posted:

How well does Vermintide scale if you don't play with a full 4 players? Like, L4D was a pain with less than 4players since the bots kind of sucked.

The AI is ok as far as I recall. I've mostly played with three other people so I can't comment too much on it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, that's all fair enough - to your second point, I've found that Vermintide sidesteps some of this because you can set difficulty levels and because once you get decent equipment the higher levels get easier too. Payday 2 is similar in that on the easier difficulty levels it's just a hilarious murderfest where the players are as gods unto the enemies.

Yeah I got set up quickly enough with some good stuff in PD2 that it looped back into problem 1 and I just burned out really quickly. :smith:

Maybe their WW2 game can solve some of my problems with the whole genre, we'll see.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:laffo:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Orv posted:

Yeah I got set up quickly enough with some good stuff in PD2 that it looped back into problem 1 and I just burned out really quickly. :smith:

Maybe their WW2 game can solve some of my problems with the whole genre, we'll see.

I wouldn't hold your breath - I rather suspect it'll be Payday 2 with a different hat on.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Me gusta mucho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'real grimoire fans'?! where?!

• Locked thread