Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Step 1. Trump pardons everyone but him.
Step 2. Trump does a 25th amendment section 3 transfer of power to Pence
Step 3. Pence pardons Trump

Bing bong, so simple!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Step 4: President Pence declares invasion of Iran.

...and we'll remember the times before the war, when that old man in Arizona got brain cancer, and we were happy

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
You forget that Trump has another branch of government willing to cover for him.

brains
May 12, 2004

reminder that top law firms have turned their noses up at trump in the past on account of his well-known tendency to try to litigate his way out of payment to everyone, even his own lawyers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

You forget that Trump has another branch of government willing to cover for him.

I suspect that if Mueller actually starts presenting to a Grand Jury and gets an indictment, they'll rush to Pence's side.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Donnie is still bleeding lawyers.

https://twitter.com/MajorCBS/status/888237148830404608

Kasowitz being out is brand-new news.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The DJT legal team's spokesman, Mark Corralo, just quit rather than have to try to spin those two articles tomorrow morning.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/20/spokesman-for-trumps-legal-team-resigns-just-two-months-after-starting-240783

E: Kasowitz too? :piss:

Wonder if its embarrassment or if he just wasn't getting paid.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 21, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I suspect that if Mueller actually starts presenting to a Grand Jury and gets an indictment, they'll rush to Pence's side.

I doubt McConnell will let it get to that point as long as Donnie is still signing whatever McConnell puts in front of him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

I doubt McConnell will let it get to that point as long as Donnie is still signing whatever McConnell puts in front of him.

Which is nothing. Because McConnell isn't getting anything, even the repeal is dead in the water.

Besides, Pence will sign the same stuff, there's no real benefit to stick with Trump.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
McConnell understands the optics of firing Mueller, the optics of all of Donnie's dirty laundry getting aired out, and the risk that there is more dirt than he knows about. The Republicans can't disentangle themselves from Trump without losing the next election. If McConnell thinks Mueller is going to present something damning, all he has to do is call Trump and say, "If you fire Mueller right now, the Congressional majority will protect you." He can spin that, and if he can't, then it's on Trump.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Donnie is only good for two things when it comes to Turtle and Dipshit (R WI).
1. Creating chaos when sketchy poo poo is about to be voted on.
2. Rallying his "base"

He seems to not be doing a great job at either lately, so if anything matter at all, the establishment R's should turn on him.

But lol... that's not gonna happen.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

McConnell understands the optics of firing Mueller, the optics of all of Donnie's dirty laundry getting aired out, and the risk that there is more dirt than he knows about. The Republicans can't disentangle themselves from Trump without losing the next election. If he thinks Mueller is going to present something damning, all he has to do is call Trump and say, "If you fire Mueller right now, the Congressional majority will protect you." He can spin that, and if he can't, then it's on Trump.

He couldn't even guarantee passing a repeal with a stacked Senate. He's not going to get that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the gop is in open revolt against mcconnell

he cant whip a vote for that to save his life.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Whipping votes for a bad bill is one thing. I'm betting he can get more (R)'s to agree to do nothing about "a political question that is within the scope of the President's powers" when the alternative is getting butt hosed in 2020 and some of them losing their seats.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

bengy81 posted:

Donnie is only good for two things when it comes to Turtle and Dipshit (R WI).
1. Creating chaos when sketchy poo poo is about to be voted on.
2. Rallying his "base"

He seems to not be doing a great job at either lately, so if anything matter at all, the establishment R's should turn on him.

But lol... that's not gonna happen.

IIRC, he's holding a rally next week in Ohio. Will be interesting to see what the turnout is like.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
He cant even get the GOP to rally around their one talking point, he's not gonna save Trump

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Whipping votes for a bad bill is one thing. I'm betting he can get more (R)'s to agree to do nothing about "a political question that is within the scope of the President's powers" when the alternative is getting butt hosed in 2020 and some of them losing their seats.

With McCain out, he only has a two vote margin in the Senate for anything. And some of those senators are beginning to realize that they gain nothing from helping Donnie out.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

psydude posted:

With McCain out, he only has a two vote margin in the Senate for anything. And some of those senators are beginning to realize that they gain nothing from helping Donnie out.

all the gop senators that voted no on the health care bill are not up for reelction in 2018

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

psydude posted:

I highly doubt Doug Ducey is going to appoint a principled moderate to McCain's seat.

Also, they gain nothing from impeaching Donnie or otherwise moving against him, so...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

all the gop senators that voted no on the health care bill are not up for reelction in 2018

He's already promised to primary Flake and is hinting at doing the same with Heller. Heller lives in a swing state that went for Clinton and elected a Democrat in 2016. That's two people right there that have no reason to give a poo poo about Donnie.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

I highly doubt Doug Ducey is going to appoint a principled moderate to McCain's seat.

Also, they gain nothing from impeaching Donnie or otherwise moving against him, so...

The long game that you're describing gains favor from distancing from Trump, not circling around him

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

suboptimal posted:

IIRC, he's holding a rally next week in Ohio. Will be interesting to see what the turnout is like.

I have no doubt that attendance at his rallies will remain constant forever and a day, but it's not like it's representative of anything. He'll keep saying it is, though. Like a reasonable, balanced human being that isn't a thin-skinned, bitchmade child at all.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

McCain's romantic history is hilarious enough on it's own.

Spring 1979: Meets Cindy Lou Hensley at a reception in Hawaii, tells her he's 37, he's actually 41.
7Jan1980: Stops cohabitation with Carol McCain.
19Feb1980: Requests divorce from Carol.
6Mar1980: Obtains marriage license with Cindy.
2Apr1980: Divorce from Carol is finalized.
17May1980: Marries Cindy.
1992: Cindy makes a joke about John's thinning hair at a campaign stop, John calls her a oval office.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dead Reckoning posted:

What would a hard right tea party dickhead in the seat do differently? Press the vote button extra hard on like 99% party lines?

Only reason to not want McCain to die right now is so he clogs up the seat while not voting (or to extend the suffering, depending on level of hatred). Him actually kicking it and being replaced would be back to the legislative status quo but without the flimsy "maverick" bullshit.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Uhhhhhh.... Pakistan is going to gently caress us in Afghanistan for this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdityaRajKaul/status/888059675597561857

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

thanks rex

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Super glad I skipped the Persian Gulf and Kharachi run this year for Africa and Europe.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

What would a hard right tea party dickhead in the seat do differently? Press the vote button extra hard on like 99% party lines?

Only reason to not want McCain to die right now is so he clogs up the seat while not voting (or to extend the suffering, depending on level of hatred). Him actually kicking it and being replaced would be back to the legislative status quo but without the flimsy "maverick" bullshit.

Who will ever be concerned though!?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The Orgasm Sanction posted:

It's down, what was it?

"Better skills, better wages, better jobs."

It's the first part that kills it. "Hey loser should have learned 2 code lol hey why is everyone walking away?"

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

nsa wizard hire me please

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

trump asking if he can pardon himself

nixon kicking himself in hell

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

hopefully trump never actually figures out how to actually pardon someone.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

wait what

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Zeroisanumber posted:

Jesus loving Christ I could run the state department better than this

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

his legal team was asked about the pardon process by trump

trump is a rabid animal in a corner at this point, now that its out how deep mueller is going

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Wednesday evening: don't look at my finances
Thursday morning: they announce they're looking at finances
Thursday evening: how can I pardon myself

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Not even "I am not a crook" it's literally "How can I and my family escape jail time and probable federal charges?"

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Hahaha, well poo poo. I'm sure nothing will go wrong because of this.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Best Friends posted:

"Better skills, better wages, better jobs."

It's the first part that kills it. "Hey loser should have learned 2 code lol hey why is everyone walking away?"

Should have said "training" instead of skills. On the other hand, none of that changes the fact that unskilled labor that pays more than minimum wage won't exist in 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/888373567708172288

Whole thread goes into detail

• Locked thread