Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Floppychop posted:

I think what rubs people the wrong way about Gulliman is the fact that he is the deus ex machina.

- <Imperium Army> is fighting against <enemy>
- <Imperium Army> is fighting valiantly, but losing despite using everything at their disposal
- Gulliman shows up and saves <Imperium Army> from certain defeat.

They could use it as a time to show off his tactical prowess; rerouting forces to assist, using astropaths to order a tactical retreat, etc..

Instead it's literally Jesus shows up just in time to singlehandedly save poo poo.

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner

goose willis posted:

So is Roboute the only living loyalist primarch left or what

He's the only primarch period other than like, Magnus, to have shown himself in a long time.

The others are either in stasis, in the warp, or dead. But very likely to show up at some period in 8th (even if they're 'dead' I wouldn't count on them being gone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Everyone except Horus and Sanguinus are ambiguous enough to show up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah those are the only two I can't see them bringing back.

And even then, I almost could see them bringing back Sanguinius with that weird angel plotline they've been playing at.

I mean anything they can sell a sick model of right :cheeky:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah those are the only two I can't see them bringing back.

And even then, I almost could see them bringing back Sanguinius with that weird angel plotline they've been playing at.

I mean anything they can sell a sick model of right :cheeky:

They'll just make a new Sanguinor and have it be vague as to whether he's a demon prince or sanguinor reborn or what.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

JoshTheStampede posted:

I think with Magnus running around it would be cool to have Russ and/or Khan come screaming back out of the warp.

Its gonna happen they just need more time to make the Russ / Khan sculpts :cheeky:

JoshTheStampede posted:

They'll just make a new Sanguinor and have it be vague as to whether he's a demon prince or sanguinor reborn or what.

Yep exactly

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

JoshTheStampede posted:

I don't think there's much that was ambiguous about what happened to Iron Hand, the leader of the Iron Hands.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Russ will be back sooner rather than later. That was the whole point of the Wolfen coming back and the Fenris system getting skull hosed by both Chaos and the other Astartes thanks to that Changeling Daemon.

Honestly, I'm still holding out for Russ, Girlyman, Vulkan, and Jagtai all meeting up and deciding to blow up the Golden Throne to stop building a goddamn chaos god out of Dad's corpse, and the civil war that follows as the Ecclesiarchy, Ad Mech, and Lords of Terra try to keep their stranglehold on all of Humanity.

Let the primarchs carve out fiefdoms, humanity start actually exploring further out to escape the Rift (making room for new xenos), and create a new tension of the loyalist marines having to fight literally everyone without the support of Terra.

This would make me so happy but we'll see if it happens.

EVEN BETTER would be a plotline where the Black Legion attacks, Girlyman, Russ, Vulkan and Jagatai all team up to go punch Abaddon, and then PSYCHE that was all a distraction, ends up the Alpha Legion is already ON TERRA

Then Omegon kills the Emperor.

Then everything else you said. Following that, Girlyman et. al. try to hold things together, while the lords of Terra start a civil war. Everybody gets fractured, Imperium is no longer one mega-faction. Would own so hard.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

chutche2 posted:

I don't think there's much that was ambiguous about what happened to Iron Hand, the leader of the Iron Hands.

But they have his skull and hand right? They could make him a super dreadnought.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

JoshTheStampede posted:

Ferrus Manus is pretty goddamn dead but this is the 40k universe, anything could happen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zaphod42 posted:

This would make me so happy but we'll see if it happens.

EVEN BETTER would be a plotline where the Black Legion attacks, Girlyman, Russ, Vulkan and Jagatai all team up to go punch Abaddon, and then PSYCHE that was all a distraction, ends up the Alpha Legion is already ON TERRA

Then Omegon kills the Emperor.

Then everything else you said. Following that, Girlyman et. al. try to hold things together, while the lords of Terra start a civil war. Everybody gets fractured, Imperium is no longer one mega-faction. Would own so hard.

And then Corax, since he's apparently absent up to this point, shows up with the heads of the Lords of Terra and the status quo resumes.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yeah in that scenario the Lords of Terra's' collective lifespans can probably be measured in tens of minutes. It'd be interesting for all of six pages of one novel. :shrug:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

JoshTheStampede posted:

But they have his skull and hand right? They could make him a super dreadnought.

I feel like this is the most Iron Hands thing imaginable, so I would unironically love that. Promote Abaddon (I know, I know, but reviving Horus would be even more of a shark jump), put Ferrus in the robot, and do something cool with Sanguinor, and you can get a Primarch-style figure for everyone but the Night Lords.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Bee posted:

I feel like this is the most Iron Hands thing imaginable, so I would unironically love that. Promote Abaddon (I know, I know, but reviving Horus would be even more of a shark jump), put Ferrus in the robot, and do something cool with Sanguinor, and you can get a Primarch-style figure for everyone but the Night Lords.

Manus would despise it, though. He was very much against the cyborg bullshit the Iron Hands got obsessed with. The metal on his arms were a coating that he said he would one day try to remove, because he felt strength should come from oneself and not chopping poo poo off and replacing it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

chutche2 posted:

Manus would despise it, though. He was very much against the cyborg bullshit the Iron Hands got obsessed with. The metal on his arms were a coating that he said he would one day try to remove, because he felt strength should come from oneself and not chopping poo poo off and replacing it.

Actually yeah whats the deal with that? I play thousand sons and have magnus, I wondered what the deal was with the techno parts on his body. Someone who knows ham lore better than i care to explain?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah, demigods being stuck in ironic positions is basically unheard of.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

RagnarokAngel posted:

Actually yeah whats the deal with that? I play thousand sons and have magnus, I wondered what the deal was with the techno parts on his body. Someone who knows ham lore better than i care to explain?

I'm talking about Ferrus Manus, not Magnus.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

chutche2 posted:

I'm talking about Ferrus Manus, not Magnus.

Haha wow it is way too late for me to be reading this crap. Question stands i guess.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The idea that the resurgence of a couple prims makes imposters pop up and claim to be the rest is great. A new larger Sangunor, Abbadon claiming to be the vessel of Horus, etc. leave it unclear whether they are full of poo poo.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Ignore, completely wrong.

In other news, I like this:

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 21, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Ignore, completely wrong.

In other news, I like this:

What happened to that Timber Wolf's arms?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Strobe posted:

Yeah in that scenario the Lords of Terra's' collective lifespans can probably be measured in tens of minutes. It'd be interesting for all of six pages of one novel. :shrug:

Yeah, but there'd still be conflict unless all the primarchs can agree :getin:

RagnarokAngel posted:

RagnarokAngel posted:

Question stands i guess.

Magnus has no techno parts? He's all wings and armor.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Strobe posted:

I don't think even the Primarchs could take out the LoT all by their lonesome. Especially with whatever crazy psychic backlash blowing up the FUELED BY THE SOULS OF THE DAMNED Golden Throne would cause.

Hell, you want to get really crazy, use that psychic nuke to wake the Void Dragon and take Terra out of play entirely.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I want Guilliman to go to the Rock and just wake up Lionel.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The thing is though ending the golden throne means no more astronomican which means no more warp travel for the Imperium.

That means everything falling to fractured local governments since they can't rely on travel.

Which would then possibly allow the primarchs to go on a second great crusade to re-re-unify the imperium? Possibly after teaming up with the Eldar to fix the astronomican.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

*giant powerfist tapping on the door*
*in 10,000 year old Demi-god voice*: "Wakey wakey"

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

panascope posted:

I want Guilliman to go to the Rock and just wake up Lionel.

What if he tries to wake him up but he doesn't want to get up and they end up spooning

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Zaphod42 posted:

The thing is though ending the golden throne means no more astronomican which means no more warp travel for the Imperium.

That means everything falling to fractured local governments since they can't rely on travel.

Which would then possibly allow the primarchs to go on a second great crusade to re-re-unify the imperium? Possibly after teaming up with the Eldar to fix the astronomican.

That's half the point. Fracture the Imperium, and make humanity interesting again. The Astronomicon's what's drawing the Tyranids anyway, so breaking it is probably a net good for the Imperium given that the warp rift has already put half the galaxy out of its reach anyway.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Liquid Communism posted:

That's half the point. Fracture the Imperium, and make humanity interesting again. The Astronomicon's what's drawing the Tyranids anyway, so breaking it is probably a net good for the Imperium given that the warp rift has already put half the galaxy out of its reach anyway.

The tyranids got drawn by the bigass warp beacon that Bobby G had pointed at Macragge during the heresy to get all the primarchs to rally there, which is why the tyranids tried to eat ultramar

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Magnus has no techno parts? He's all wings and armor.

If you look at the model his arm has pipes and poo poo i presume meant to be under the skin.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

chutche2 posted:

What happened to that Timber Wolf's arms?

I think the better question is why anyone would bother putting machine guns on a Catapult.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean...you don't know that.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
There was warp travel before the astronomicon, there's warp travel beyond the astronomicon's reach, and now half the galaxy is cut off from it and there's still warp travel. The astronomicon just makes it safer.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

chutche2 posted:

There was warp travel before the astronomicon, there's warp travel beyond the astronomicon's reach, and now half the galaxy is cut off from it and there's still warp travel. The astronomicon just makes it safer.

My suggestion was that the Emperor isn't actually still maintaining the Astronomicon because he's loving dead.

RagnarokAngel posted:

If you look at the model his arm has pipes and poo poo i presume meant to be under the skin.

Yeah I dunno

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

mango sentinel posted:

My suggestion was that the Emperor isn't actually still maintaining the Astronomicon because he's loving dead.

Well SOMETHING is maintaining it.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Supposedly the astronomicon was out for quite a while and is still very weak. Maybe big E really is dead and it just took a while to find even a poor replacement

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
My favorite 40K dumb fan theory is that the Golden Throne actually does gently caress-all, and that it's the Orks believing that the Emperor is an immortal killing machine that's kept him alive for so long, and now the Astronomicon is fading because Orks haven't seen him in 10k years and are starting to believe he's not actually immortal. :v:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

chutche2 posted:

Warp travel without the astronomicon is hilariously dangerous though, for example, in the Rogue Trader RPG, you get a -60 penalty to navigation rolls if you can't find the astronomicon: this is in a D100 system, where most people have stats around 30-50.

Travel still happens, but it has to rely on old charts, blind luck, a lot of prayer, and not being surprised if you arrive a few systems and/or centuries away from your expected destination. :v:

Of course, there is stuff like the Void Abacus, which is basically a Navigation Computer that does all that for you, without a Navigator, or need for the Astronomicon, so the Navigator's guild has those banned as heretical/evil archaeotech/cutting into their line of business. They might be quite popular in the Dark Imperium though. . . .

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, y'all, it's confirmed in Dark Imperium that the Emperor is still alive. Guilliman talked to him in person when he got to Terra and though the Emperor is even more alien and inhuman than he was 10,000 years ago, he's still there. His body's basically a corpse, however.

Also, I want the Lion to wake up with a 10,000 year Rip van Winkle beard.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Did we actually get confirmation of communication, though? I was under the impression that said "talk" consisted of Guilliman staring at a dessicated corpse for about an hour, and then spending the next 23 figuring out what the gently caress to do now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

Sorry, y'all, it's confirmed in Dark Imperium that the Emperor is still alive. Guilliman talked to him in person when he got to Terra and though the Emperor is even more alien and inhuman than he was 10,000 years ago, he's still there. His body's basically a corpse, however.

Do they though? I thought it was left open ended because it happens behind closed doors. Guilloman could absolutely be bullshitting because he knows the Imperium would collapse into civil war if they didnt have their faith in the God Emperor to give them a common cause.