Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lemming posted:

Not that I know of, but the overhead is super minimal, it just outputs the pre-distorted image, which is free since it needed to render that anyway.

Im not sure that's always the case. I disabled mirroring with a command line flag for project cars and my frame rate went way up and was able to crank the supersampling so it looks really good and is super smooth. I was just hoping there was some way to do it system-wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ten_twentyfour posted:

A realistic, WW2 submarine game similar to Bridge Crew would be suuuper dope. I'd pay large amounts of money for it.

But would we all have to shpeak in terrible Russhian accents, camdrade? :ussr: :Connery:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Echo Arena must be the first game I've encountered that isn't bullshitting when it recommends 16 GB of RAM. I only have 12 and it runs fine for the most part, but I actually get low memory warnings/crashes now and then.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Knight posted:

Echo Arena must be the first game I've encountered that isn't bullshitting when it recommends 16 GB of RAM. I only have 12 and it runs fine for the most part, but I actually get low memory warnings/crashes now and then.

Low memory warnings usually means you have customized your page file settings which means you are a bad. Set them back to system managed, Windows knows best.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rage-saq posted:

Low memory warnings usually means you have customized your page file settings which means you are a bad. Set them back to system managed, Windows knows best.

My 16GB system reports being out of memory with windows-managed page files any time I play a game with Chrome open.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
The first parts of Lone Echo are rad.

AAA VR games are rad.

The payola and walled gardens are worth it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

At this point I think it's pretty clear that Echo Arena is the best VR game. It's not just "good for a VR game" - they've developed something really fun and addictive on its own. Stands up there with the best multiplayer sports games.

I tend to go through cycles with my Rift where I'll play a lot it for a while then shelve it for a few weeks, but I think I'm going to be shoving my couch out of the way a lot more often thanks to this game.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

PerrineClostermann posted:

My 16GB system reports being out of memory with windows-managed page files any time I play a game with Chrome open.

You shouldn't be getting that message unless your page file is too small, thats what that message means. Windows essentially has as much memory as there is in your system PLUS the maximum size of your page file. Is the disk your page file on low on space?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rage-saq posted:

You shouldn't be getting that message unless your page file is too small, thats what that message means. Windows essentially has as much memory as there is in your system PLUS the maximum size of your page file. Is the disk your page file on low on space?

No. But I often have committed memory close to 30GB

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Oh man Lone Echo is so good. I knew the mechanics would be great from the echo arena beta, but the single player is stellar. It's probably the best single player VR game I've played yet, and the first I'd really call 'AAA'... whatever thats supposed to mean anymore. Definitely worth the money, it feels like a full priced single player campaign and visuals so far. So $40 USD? Thats a better use of my money than 2 movie tickets. All I can say is I played for 4 hours straight so far and I want to keep playing. I don't know how long it is, but I already missed a lot of stuff at the beginning I didn't bother to do (really wish I had explored more at the start instead of just progressing the story) so I'm going to have to play it again when I finish anyways.

I would really recommend this to anyone. I mean, no one has the same taste so nothing is a guarantee, but if I had to recommend a vr game this is what I would recommend. Even running it through revive shouldn't be an issue, if the controls were a bit finicky in the Echo Arena beta, i imagine it should be a lot better in the single player campaign because you don't have the frantic multiplayer aspect of needing to boost and thrust every split second against other humans. The one thing I don't know is how well it will perform though, i have a 980ti, an older card to be sure, but this is still the first VR game that I couldn't have SS turned up. Once I got outside it started chugging so I had to drop that to 1.0. Even then with everything on high there were a couple times I could tell ASW was really working its butt off.

Man oh man though, after playing for 4 hours straight, getting out of VR and grabbing a drink of water made me feel reaaaal weird and sluggish at not being able to float around my house.

vvvvvvv :v:

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 21, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tom Guycot posted:

the first I'd really call 'AAA'... whatever thats supposed to mean anymore.

Big budget, flashy, but ultimately pointless and devoid of feeling due to the cash-grabbing nature of design-by-committee entertainment?

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Songbearer posted:

Skyim: It's great, you just have to download these 93 mods to make it a good game and then hope it doesn't crash midgame

Or you could just do the bare minium and still have it be a fun experience but there are also optional things you can get to improve it

Personally I haven't had to tinker with anything outside of putting the sensors in the right place and setting a vague shaky blob to show me where I'll gently caress myself up if I start running around the room.

Now if you're talking VorpX that's a different matter

What about VorpX? I'm having a great experience playing New Vegas in VR using VorpX.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I think you're misunderstanding what I mean by joystick.

Use one of these. Controllers are not good enough. And no, you can't abstract it to the two axis on the right stick, that's a terrible control scheme when literal point and shoot is much easier to use. That's the best abstraction possible: direct the pointer to your desired position and the little crewmen put the gun there for you.

Joystick for flight, mouse and keyboard for tanks.

Why would an Xbox controller not be good enough for an arcadey flight game like War Thunder? I am pretty certain an Xbox controller would be okay albeit slightly less than ideal.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 21, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

AndrewP posted:

At this point I think it's pretty clear that Echo Arena is the best VR game. It's not just "good for a VR game" - they've developed something really fun and addictive on its own. Stands up there with the best multiplayer sports games.

I tend to go through cycles with my Rift where I'll play a lot it for a while then shelve it for a few weeks, but I think I'm going to be shoving my couch out of the way a lot more often thanks to this game.

Yes

It's loving incredible

It has cured me of the desire to play any other video games, it is insane how good it is

I really can't wait to get even better at it and play with a consistently good team

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PerrineClostermann posted:

No. But I often have committed memory close to 30GB

:wow:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I played all the way through Lone Echo in one sitting. I really enjoyed it. I did think that the whole "avoid the walls" mechanics got a little tiresome near the end, but by that time I had a great understanding of the controls and hazards so I was just flying through everything.

I really wanna play some Echo Arena tomorrow, but tomorrow is also Splatoon 2 day. Hmm.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nalin posted:

I played all the way through Lone Echo in one sitting. I really enjoyed it. I did think that the whole "avoid the walls" mechanics got a little tiresome near the end, but by that time I had a great understanding of the controls and hazards so I was just flying through everything.

I really wanna play some Echo Arena tomorrow, but tomorrow is also Splatoon 2 day. Hmm.

I'm going to be honest here

Echo Arena is way more fun than Splatoon

As someone with every Splatoon amiibo and who was ranked S in Splatoon 1 pains me to say it, but Echo Arena is really loving good

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

iceaim posted:

Why would an Xbox controller not be good enough for an arcadey flight game like War Thunder? I am pretty certain an Xbox controller would be okay albeit slightly less than ideal.
People can and do play it with a controller, but it's not optimal. The arcade and realistic modes are best played with mouse and keyboard (there's even kb/m support on the PS4 version, which a lot of people take advantage of), while the simulator mode basically requires a stick to be competitive.

VR is actually a straight-up disadvantage in anything but the simulator mode due to low resolution and inability to quickly whip the camera around behind you.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone know if Lone Echo is a timed exclusive for oculus or just regular exclusive and won't be coming to steam?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Aphex- posted:

Does anyone know if Lone Echo is a timed exclusive for oculus or just regular exclusive and won't be coming to steam?

It is just regular exclusive, it was created through their oculus studios thing where they straight up fund the game

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Rastor posted:

Vox Machinae needs to post some goddamn updates.
Fwiw they're posting regularly on social media, their website is pretty much dead.
https://twitter.com/SpaceBulletCorp
https://twitter.com/SpaceBulletCorp/status/886037711198363649
Still...as mentioned it's been 3 years. Come on already :colbert:

e: Also I forgot to take pictures but operation IKEA Hanging Cable is a complete success. Ridiculously easy setup. Snap some poles into place, screw into baseplate, attach HMD via very sturdy velcro belts for easy adjustment
See: http://techblog.steelseries.com/2016/05/11/ikeasavedmefromdyinginvr.html

Haven't gone all out yet in a intense game of Lone Echo/Holopoint though yet, so full review is in standby.

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 21, 2017

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Perfect game for VR: Archimedean Dynasty

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Exioce posted:

Perfect game for VR: Archimedean Dynasty

Well theres a blast from the past, that would be fantastic.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I finally got around to trying Star Trek, but when I went for quick match, there were literally no games available - it almost instantly put me in my own hosted game. Is this just my connection loving around? Seems odd that there would be no-one out there playing across all three platforms, even if it is the middle of the day..

Also played some Echo Arena and it's just great. But goddamn I need more space. It's more easy to get completely turned around and disoriented in it than in any other game I've tried, I think (which would make sense).
I do agree with people who say it needs an option for 'palming' off surfaces and objects, instead of the only option now which is grabbing to push yourself off things. Someone said requiring grab is a balance factor, but it seems to me that it means more of the time in matches is spent drifting around with your jets & booster, as opposed to really using the geometry. That seems a shame. Might be just my newbie-ness though.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
does echo arena have a demo I can try out?

So far I'm really liking audioshield

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Sefal posted:

does echo arena have a demo I can try out?

So far I'm really liking audioshield

Echo arena is free for the next 3 months.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

ten_twentyfour posted:

A realistic, WW2 submarine game similar to Bridge Crew would be suuuper dope. I'd pay large amounts of money for it.

This already exists. It's called IronWolfVR and I've had a lot of fun with it. Manually operate the wheels and levers, launch the torpedos, get depth charged and experience drowning.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

Echo arena is free for the next 3 months.

There we go. Gonna give it a shot.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Sefal posted:

There we go. Gonna give it a shot.

Just to be clear, its not "free for 3 months then you have to pay to keep playing". If you grab it anytime in the next 3 months you have it forever for free, but after 3 months if you want to pick it up they're adding a $20 price to it (unless you buy the single player portion, Lone Echo then you get it for free with it. Which I also suggest you do because it's the best single player VR game I've played).

EDIT: Oh, also make sure you have the latest version of revive, and if you hate judder problems, disable async reprojection, and turn on always on reprojection, that should fix it. You can also add this revive addition to swap the grip and trigger. Since echo arena relies on grabbing all the time, that can make it a lot easier for vive folk since you'll only have to use the grip button for punching, and the trigger will do all your grabbing.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 21, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still getting terrible judder in lone echo even with settings down to low, always on repro, and a 50% render scale.

I'm running a 1080 but I guess it's time to finally upgrade my fx8350 and 8 gigs of ram.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

AgentF posted:

This already exists. It's called IronWolfVR and I've had a lot of fun with it. Manually operate the wheels and levers, launch the torpedos, get depth charged and experience drowning.

You should read the entire conversation chain you are replying to, as IronWolf is what started the whole thing to begin with.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

El Grillo posted:

I do agree with people who say it needs an option for 'palming' off surfaces and objects, instead of the only option now which is grabbing to push yourself off things. Someone said requiring grab is a balance factor, but it seems to me that it means more of the time in matches is spent drifting around with your jets & booster, as opposed to really using the geometry. That seems a shame. Might be just my newbie-ness though.

One thing I did notice is that you can hold the grip button ahead of time before you touch a surface and it will automatically "grab" it. You still have to let go of it, but it's a little more natural at least.

This auto-grab thing works with the disc too, btw

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

El Grillo posted:

If you have the disc, you can sort of do this. Push the disc against the wall and you will bounce.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

iceaim posted:

What about VorpX? I'm having a great experience playing New Vegas in VR using VorpX.

Why would you play arcadey modes in VR? The point is the simulatuonism.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Like as soon as I grab a controller in VR I'm like "oh yeah this is a game"
Even thumper, which I really enjoyed, I knew I was playing a game. War Thunder with a HOTAS I screamed when I got shot down because I thought I was actually going to die :tinfoil:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kaffo posted:

Like as soon as I grab a controller in VR I'm like "oh yeah this is a game"
Even thumper, which I really enjoyed, I knew I was playing a game. War Thunder with a HOTAS I screamed when I got shot down because I thought I was actually going to die :tinfoil:

If you die in the game, you die in real life.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm terrible at War Thunder but just flying around some of the sunny maps really gives me a new perspective on the Second World war, like, it's fresh and current rather than being a grainy video of it. It's very interesting to me as it makes it possible to imagine the people involved, fighting on sunny days in an otherwise beautiful setting and how surreal that must have been.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

peter gabriel posted:

I'm terrible at War Thunder but just flying around some of the sunny maps really gives me a new perspective on the Second World war, like, it's fresh and current rather than being a grainy video of it. It's very interesting to me as it makes it possible to imagine the people involved, fighting on sunny days in an otherwise beautiful setting and how surreal that must have been.

You should try IL-2 Battle for Stalingrad, it's a lot more grim in winter overcast. Pretty easy to pick up sim with a lot of depth and realism.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Taintrunner posted:

You should try IL-2 Battle for Stalingrad, it's a lot more grim in winter overcast. Pretty easy to pick up sim with a lot of depth and realism.

I keep forgetting about that, thanks, I will pick it up :)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Why would you play arcadey modes in VR? The point is the simulatuonism.

Nah man, I use an Xbox controller and play War Thunder airplanes in arcade mode with the chase cam instead of first person, it is much more comfortable and I style on fools.

Edit: like a stick would be more accurate but just a bit, place it's more money, space on my desk, and I'd have to find a lefty stick. Xbone pad is fine, it's just dumb they can't make it not suck for tanks.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I gave Echo Arena a shot on my Vive, and while it seems like a fun game, I can't like it with the Vive controls. Using the touchpad to press the buttons doesn't work properly IMO and I keep swiping to rotate as well. And the grip buttons suck too.