Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Pretty sure there's a reason why you don't see tires like that used on planet earth regardless of terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Meridian posted:

I am going to start a new X-Com 2 campaign tonight when I get off work. Service Guarantees Citizenship. Who wants a soldier?

If you make my soldier die in a hilarious fashion at some point, sure.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

When will Chris show us the walkers?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I like how the spikes are being driven directly into the ground at the point before the wheel contacts the ground. That's got to be great for when you drive over a rock. I also like how the wheels are designed to use tens of thousands more polys than are actually necessary, you wouldn't want to design anything with performance in mind in your MMO.

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

The car of the future where you have to wear a helmet because the wheels are designed to kick dirt in your face and there's no windshield, only $240 if you swoop in early!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

You're driving across planet Xernon-Algum C35 carrying important cargo boxes for the Stimperor when suddenly your dune buggy begins to sink into the floor. What do you do?

Drive backwards to keep the shovels on the wheels from digging me in deeper?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

'Should we put bullet resistant glass in front of the driver in our combat vehicle?'
'Hell no I want to feel the wind in my hair mud in my face.'

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
It's good they finally made a car though considering they're going to be simulating hundreds of bustling cities and thousands of planetary outposts and that'll require at least several dozen different types of vehicles for immersion and fidelity purposes.

Universe simulation another fraction of a percent closer to completion.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Meridian posted:

I am going to start a new X-Com 2 campaign tonight when I get off work. Service Guarantees Citizenship. Who wants a soldier?

Oh, you should also put TheTitanic in there, and have her go down on her first mission.

ZenMaster posted:

Why are the space chariots fighting around Milford Sound, New Zealand?

They did it again? Wait, what am I saying? Of course CIG did it again :doh:

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

D_Smart posted:

Looks like the Descent Underground guys have launched their answer to Star Citizen's crowd-funding system

https://www.brightlocker.com/

They are managing expectations on Wikipedia.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Bofast posted:

Someone who has access to post on Spectrum should invite that person here, or at the very least send a link to the refunds subreddit.

Don't worry, all the bumps, sand and dust will just be faked through textures, for your driving convenience.

How the hell do these tires even work? On a normal tire, every rotation of the axle spins the tire one full rotation so your car moves forward whatever the diameter of the tire per rotation.

These super space tires are tiny tires within tires. Every rotation of whatever overly complicated axle within that monstrosity spins the little tire within the tire one rotation. That rotation moves the inner part of the outside tire whatever the diameter of the small tire. And that spins the outside part of the outside tire and moves the car forward a small bit more but that ratio decreases with the thickness of the outside tire. It's been a while since I did calculations with circles, all that pi arr squared stuff so I can't do the math. But it shouldn't be complicated, axle spins, wheel turns, car moves.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Everything about the tumbril is retarded.

It's completely non-functional as a real vehicle and has so many design flaws that it's impressive in its own way.

But the literal redesigning of the wheel in into a less efficient, less practical, horribly broken piece of poo poo is basically peak CIG.

The fact that Beet totally called it ahead of time just makes the absurdity of it that much better.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

hot balls man no homo posted:

These super space tires are tiny tires within tires. Every rotation of whatever overly complicated axle within that monstrosity spins the little tire within the tire one rotation. That rotation moves the inner part of the outside tire whatever the diameter of the small tire. And that spins the outside part of the outside tire and moves the car forward a small bit more but that ratio decreases with the thickness of the outside tire. It's been a while since I did calculations with circles, all that pi arr squared stuff so I can't do the math. But it shouldn't be complicated, axle spins, wheel turns, car moves.
Essentially, the car moves as fast at the tiny wheels roll. The big ones are just padding between them and the road and only bring the speed down.

You can't fly faster than you explode, again.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Chances are high that all of their concepts are designed by contractors they pick off artstation and the like anyway. Just tell them to design some spacey poo poo and then try and sell it. Who knows what their 350 employees do.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

starkebn posted:

Who knows what their 350 employees do.

Maybe getting fired with a NDA and some money from Coutts.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

How the hell do these tires even work? On a normal tire, every rotation of the axle spins the tire one full rotation so your car moves forward whatever the diameter of the tire per rotation.

It's like having your car in low gear, but now it's all the time. That white smoke is your blown head gasket, and that just means it's working.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

SelenicMartian posted:

Essentially, the car moves as fast at the tiny wheels roll. The big ones are just padding between them and the road and only bring the speed down.

You can't fly faster than you explode, again.

I've been trying to wrap my head around the math but I think you're right. So you would have to have an engine that could crank out 10 times the rpms to match the speed of a regular rear end center axle and suspension tire system? Or would you need a hell of a gear box to ramp up those rpms and transfer that rotational engergy to 4 separate tires on different axles?

This really is the Chris Roberts school of design. Just keep adding more and more complicated parts until the whole thing just looks pretty but is completely impractical.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

starkebn posted:

Chances are high that all of their concepts are designed by contractors they pick off artstation and the like anyway. Just tell them to design some spacey poo poo and then try and sell it. Who knows what their 350 employees do.

Maybe they don't have 350 employees. Makes you think.

Actually, is there one of those photos where they have all the nerds stand in a foyer and photograph them with the boss awkwardly pushed in somewhere 'not at the front'?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

ZenMaster posted:

Why are the space chariots fighting around Milford Sound, New Zealand?

You don't understand. Video game companies do this _all the time_. I don't see you blah blah blah.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Percelus posted:

get a refund

Well, aren't we going Alexander the Great and the Gordian Knot on this all of sudden :hist101:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Combat Theory posted:

Wew catched up with the thread again!

just wanted to say hello now that i got myself an account finally. (Or better set a fellow Goon with a Credit Card got it for me... thanks for that!)
Im still pretty active within the Citizen's community so i cant post here under my actual Nickname (i think those of you who do use your same Nick in Stimperial Space know the horrors that come with it)

Since i have been lurking over here long before i got my account i think a few words of acknowledgement are long past due. So first of all thanks for the great entertainment that you guys provided to us more or less secretly salty shitizens and dirty leavers, coming to this thread felt like coming home after some time.

Also thanks a lot to Beet Wagon who helped to show so many disfranchised Citizens like myself a way out... I got a partial Refund tho. the 45 Bux that my account is still thick is well worth having a front row seat into Development Hell (a place where commandos eternally T-Pose at 12 FPS)
Thanks to Pgabz who entertained all of us non believers with his Videos about all the poo poo we saw day for day in game (and still would if we bothered playing)
And thanks to Mirificus. I always spare the Reddit Snippets for when im going to take a long session at the toilet... Ashes to Ashes, Poo Poo to Poo Poo.
And Thanks to Beer. Beer if you think back a year or so, there was a day you came to the star citizen Discord and expected to find pure hate, but instead you found me at the middle of the night and we had a long laugh about the jokes of the past (10ftc translations etc) and a quick snippet about Fantasy Football i think? Just in time before the shitizens started projecting their obsession with Dereks genitalia onto you...
And it seems i lurked to late to see the earlier posts of G0RF, but the one i saw just now was mighty impressive. Thank you for that.

the Taxe has been paid already for this page, but i saw a bit of lazyness over the last few hundred pages, so ill go and repay that with our cate and wulfDoggo (hes actually named nikita, but he also likes to present his genitals to strangers)

Also please enjoy some of our weekly meme work that we strip from ATV (the warlord gets some of those via his discord from time to time too, but he kindly credits them usually instead of being a Ryan Archer)

Welcome, Commando. Would you like your introductory pizza with or without pineapple?

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

Combat Theory posted:

I agree with what [Derek] says about Cigs Management and Marketing, as well as the Project and Company structure, but at the same time i think he always overplays his hand and focuses on the wrong stuff. Stop being a Roberts and hyping people for the ELE thats "just aroundt the corner". As somebody who actually sank a significant amount of time into this so called Game, i know the strongest weapon against CIG is the game itself as well as their complete lack of a plan on how to deliver gameplay and game performance instead of just "presentation enviroments" for visual fidelity.

:same:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Meridian posted:

Thanks to everyone who came to hang out for X-COM. I have already decided I'm starting over tomorrow sober with a better gameplan. Was lots of fun though. Our short three mission campaign saw Beet Wagon axe several people in the face. Hav had a few clutch MVP overwatch shots and Agent managed to miss every sniper rifle shot, but own bones with the pistol.

Taking what we learned today, we're coming back at it tomorrow and this weekend stronger than ever. We will conquer the Stimpire yet.

I would like to request you set the twitch channel to save the streams, so those of us who missed it can at least watch future VODs. Thanks in advance :)

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
So yeah what, it randomly procedurely generated a landscape that just so happens to already exists on earth?
Thats just a coincidence, clearly you do not understand procedural generation.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

first things that happened

ben took a massive poo poo, then leveled up his cooking
chris roberts and erin hugged, making derek feel bad
sandi is taking selfies with chris, while erin looks miffed in the background
brian chambers is smoking weed and playing video games

I'll stop doing stupid post updates every five seconds but this made me lol

I'll get on a stream thing once I figure out the game

:golfclap:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

TheAgent posted:

you shall be in the dopest of sim houses, my streamer friend

give me your twitch nerd

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

I've been trying to wrap my head around the math but I think you're right. So you would have to have an engine that could crank out 10 times the rpms to match the speed of a regular rear end center axle and suspension tire system? Or would you need a hell of a gear box to ramp up those rpms and transfer that rotational engergy to 4 separate tires on different axles?

This really is the Chris Roberts school of design. Just keep adding more and more complicated parts until the whole thing just looks pretty but is completely impractical.

Or you could just use an electric motor on each individual wheel, jus' saying.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Yolomon Wayne posted:

So yeah what, it randomly procedurely generated a landscape that just so happens to already exists on earth?
Thats just a coincidence, clearly you do not understand procedural generation.

Cig procgen is for the system to randomly pick something to archer.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

BeefThief posted:

Pretty sure there's a reason why you don't see tires like that used on planet earth regardless of terrain.
Ya, because they don't have Chris's Vision.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I'm waking up and first thing in the morning Chris is literally trying to reinvent the wheel.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

thatguy posted:

Ya, because they don't have Chris's Vision.
Chris's vision is 42/42

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

It's like Chris went "Do you know all these bad things the goons are saying about me? Lets prove them right!"

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Krycek posted:

Cig procgen is for the system to randomly pick something to archer.

So its basically google image searching and slapping a filter on it?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Meridian posted:

Add me to your roster and report on my performance. I'll wait until the massive expansion in August before starting a new campaign myself though

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

WarpDogs posted:

I'm having a real hard time parsing these tires. How do they even work? As in, how do they even stay attached while moving? Maybe 10% of the tire is in contact with the teeth rotatory thing at any given time, meaning these tires are 10% traction devices and 90% mudslinging devices.

even if those fins are made from space steel they would at dig holes in any surface softer than concrete, right? like you turn it on and you disappear in a cloud of dust and reappear in the same spot but two feet deeper into the ground

What will have better offroad performance? The tumbril or this?

What does your heart tell you? ;)

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DONT TIRESHAME

drluv
Feb 25, 2016

Please do not undercut me in front of the child.

Combat Theory posted:

[...]
the Taxe has been paid already for this page, but i saw a bit of lazyness over the last few hundred pages, so ill go and repay that with our cate and wulfDoggo (hes actually named nikita, but he also likes to present his genitals to strangers)

Well, it's pretty interesting that the internet made me learn how to know where someone lives according to the picture he's providing. I know the staircase-type, window/door-frames and the electrical plugs and et voilá: guten tag. (is this doxxing? please don't doxx me!)

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Yolomon Wayne posted:

DONT TIRESHAME

A bike than runs on white power?

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

The Final Solution in personal transportation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
You won't be laughing when my 100 antipodean space lego buggies are worth 4 times what I paid for them.