Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

G-Hawk posted:

convince me why the mavs are gonna be good which i think you've suggested before in this thread. I genuinely don't see why they would win more than 35 games,with their roster. but you watch them a lot more than the 5 times a year i did last year probably so i am willing to be persuaded i just dont get it

Presumably all their guards won't be dead at once this year. Yogi, Seth Curry, and Finney-Smith will probably be a bench unit instead of starting. While they were looking decent at the midway point starting these players, having them come off the bench should be even better. They also won't have Bogut's presence sabotaging the team for 20 or so games. Noel as a rim protector will also help. The point guard rotation not being which ever guard is the least hurt trying to play as many minutes as possible should make them better. Most of the team not being new to the team should also help improve them.

They won't be challenging for home court but I wouldn't count them out of the playoffs this early.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

kind of want to see rose on the lakers just for the lavar ball derrick rose takes

I wasn't sure where Rose should go but now you've reminded me of this possibility: LaVar Ball vs. Reggie Rose.

Tae posted:

Can you then list what 5 better teams have better benches outside of the Warriors?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Celtics, Nets, Hornets, Nuggets, Warriors, Rockets, Clippers, Heat, Raptors, Spurs, Thunder,

They have like an average bench at best. There are probably more teams that I forgot.

code:
Tm	2016-17 Bench Cumulative GmSc
LAL	2930.3
BRK	2713.8
SAS	2624.9
DEN	2519.3
MIL	2490.5
GSW	2441.1
MIA	2427.2
PHI	2381.9
HOU	2351.1
SAC	2280.5
CHO	2241.2
NOP	2240.7
DET	2186.6
MEM	2176.1
DAL	2161.7
ATL	2143.4
PHO	2127.6
NYK	2118.7
LAC	2115.2
OKC	2108.1
TOR	2082.3
CHI	2079.7
BOS	2064.6
IND	1993.3
ORL	1990.1
UTA	1928.9
POR	1861.4
CLE	1641.1
WAS	1593.3
MIN	1446
Pistons had the most average bench. Lakers bench was twice as productive as the Timberwolves. The Cavaliers bench was...lacking.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 21, 2017

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
The Mavericks are not making the playoffs in the West led by Old Man Dirk, Harrison "Rich Man's Jeff Green" Barnes and a rookie point guard who will probably tear an everything by December.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zogo posted:

code:

WAS	1593.3
MIN	1446

lmfao

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Paul Zuvella posted:

He's the best goofy white center out there.

Remember, Euros aren't white!!!

hell, some of the all-time greatest Euros aren't even European

chunkles posted:

this is in my top 10 grittiest hustliest playoff moments ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fICBksYTqUI

was it Iverson who peed himself to stay on the court

fake edit: I googled, it was Isaiah Thomas, the other better Iverson

real edit:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/04/16/for-isaiah-thomas-long-road-success-ended-boston/qREEkPCvvKk5f2mJHkCuwJ/story.html

quote:

In Thomas’s junior year, Washington was in a close game at Washington State. There was a late timeout and Thomas needed to use the bathroom, but he worried that if he left the game he might not return in time. So he asked for a towel and told his teammates to encircle him.

“He put the towel in his shorts and peed on the bench, because he didn’t want to check out,” said Chillious, who became an assistant at Washington. “That was a guy who wanted to compete.”

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 21, 2017

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

EvanTH posted:

was it Iverson who peed himself to stay on the court

fake edit: I googled, it was Isaiah Thomas, the other better Iverson

real edit:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/04/16/for-isaiah-thomas-long-road-success-ended-boston/qREEkPCvvKk5f2mJHkCuwJ/story.html

ESPN just ran an incredible article about piss: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19769575/what-do-athletes-do-to-pee-games

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Zogo posted:

I wasn't sure where Rose should go but now you've reminded me of this possibility: LaVar Ball vs. Reggie Rose.

code:
LAL	2930.3
BRK	2713.8
SAS	2624.9
DEN	2519.3
MIL	2490.5
GSW	2441.1
MIA	2427.2
PHI	2381.9
HOU	2351.1
SAC	2280.5
CHO	2241.2
NOP	2240.7
DET	2186.6
MEM	2176.1
DAL	2161.7
ATL	2143.4
PHO	2127.6
NYK	2118.7
LAC	2115.2
OKC	2108.1
TOR	2082.3
CHI	2079.7
BOS	2064.6
IND	1993.3
ORL	1990.1
UTA	1928.9
POR	1861.4
CLE	1641.1
WAS	1593.3
MIN	1446
Pistons had the most average bench. Lakers bench was twice as productive as the Timberwolves. The Cavaliers bench was...lacking.

Are you able to include a rate stat alongside (unsure if GmSc / Time is good enough)? I'm curious which high/low values were bolstered/hindered by their minutes per game.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I need this.

https://store.bobbleheadhall.com/collections/bobbleheads/products/westbrookcounter?variant=48333261959

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
how do gross misrepresentations like that even happen

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Throatzilla a shoo-in for national ho head hall of fame

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Noctone posted:

how do gross misrepresentations like that even happen

My personal theory is that they print way too many of one model, and then colour it something else to try and get rid of the extras.

That looks like a Dario Saric. Facial hair, anyways.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
derrick rose, huh. he got me watching the ball again so this is full circle for me i guess. i imagine i'll be blowing my brains out when lebron leaves next year so, this makes sense.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010
I think this forum is underestimating Rose right now. He's not a starter and he's a shell of his former self, but he's an above average bench player who can create his own offense consistently, which is something the Cavs desperately needed on their bench. He averaged 18 PPG last year on 47% shooting. He cannot hit a 3, but if their lead doesn't hemorrhage as much while Lebron is resting, mission accomplished. The Cavs would be lucky to have him.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

"The way I look at it within myself, why not? Why can't I be a bench player in this League? Why can't I be the best bench player in the League? I don't see why-why-why can't I do that?"

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

attackmole posted:

My personal theory is that they print way too many of one model, and then colour it something else to try and get rid of the extras.

It would be too expensive to get a custom job for something you're just giving away for free. You pick the already existing model that's closest to what you want and have it painted up. Sports in general and basketball in particular is a wasteland of bobbleheads that look nothing like the person.

ElPedro
Apr 22, 2008
And the Rose contract must specifically state that it is forbidden to share a bed with his knife.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/dwane-casey-wants-give-demar-derozan-time-point-guard/

quote:

Dwane Casey wants to give DeMar DeRozan more time at point guard

Toronto Raptors head coach Dwane Casey said Tuesday that he has plans to give DeMar DeRozan more time at point guard during the 2017-18 season.

“We got to have a better mentality of ball movement, man movement and spacing,” Casey said on Wednesday while on The Andrew Walker Show on Sportsnet 590 The FAN.

“DeMar DeRozan, have him handle the ball a bit more as a point guard, a facilitator, a passer. Kyle Lowry moving the ball a bit more, spacing up. We don’t want to give our whole ‘what we’re going to try to do next year’ away, but again it comes down to passing the basketball and better spacing more so, than we know, one-on-one play.”

Oh hell yes. Oh hell yes.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I do like the idea of Demar on point guard. It was fun watching him play it when Lowry was out. Those 3pg sets were fun too.

They have to find a way to lower Lowry's minutes so he doesn't wear out 2/3rd's of the way into the season.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Danny LaFever posted:

Those 3pg sets were fun too.

3pg sets where the three point guards are Demar, Delon, and Fred Van Vleet.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

3pg sets where the three point guards are Demar, Delon, and Fred Van Vleet.

Where none of them can shoot a 3.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cool Trevor Ariza bobblehead

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Cool Howard Eisley bobblehead

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I see CJ McCollum

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

the_american_dream posted:

Cool Howard Eisley bobblehead

It's half russ and half howard eisley
Chinese bobblesculptors suck poo poo

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

It looks a little bit like a young Ice T.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Ice T from Rick and Morty bobblehead?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Now you're reaching

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

That's clearly 17th century Spanish Monarch Phillip IV

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not the damnable Habsburgs again!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
DraftExpress got bought out by ESPN:

quote:

We're proud to announce that Jonathan Givony and Mike Schmitz will be joining ESPN as NBA Draft analysts. DraftExpress.com will remain on the web with all of our existing archive, but will not be publishing any new content moving forward. All articles, rankings, mock drafts and event recaps moving forward will be published on ESPN.com. Thanks to everyone that has contributed to DraftExpress, and the millions of readers who have visited our website diligently over the past 14 years.

Obviously they deserve the money but A) sucks to have that resource behind a paywall and B) more quality voices in the field is always better.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

morestuff posted:

DraftExpress got bought out by ESPN:

Quite the upgrade from Chad Ford.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Man, Charlotte Hornets Twitter Dwight is the best form of Dwight so far
https://twitter.com/dwighthoward/status/886776291474771968

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

also lol Boston fans
https://twitter.com/CelticsJunkies/status/888220457165631488

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

WhyteRyce posted:

I mean who wouldn't?!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

WhyteRyce posted:

He's spent the last few weeks tweeting yo momma jokes at teenagers so he's off to a great start

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
The last page made me look up to see how Nate Robinson did in his G-League stint and lo and behold he just finished a season in the Venezuelan league and his team (Guaros De Lara) won the league championship! The league website does not appear to have up-to-date boxscores and the most recent story is from June, before the final:

quote:

Guaros (4-0) dispatched Crocodiles of Caracas (0-4) at the United Nations Park with a 97-95 board (28-22, 22-25, 24-26, 23-22) to dethrone the champion of the League and also the Western Conference.

Six players of Guaros stood out with double figure, being Lazar Hayward best with 17 points. He was followed by Gregory Echenique with 16, Nate Robinson 14, Jose Vargas 13, and Luis Bethelmy and Néstor Colmenares finished with ten each. For Crocodiles Carl Elliott stood out with 23 points.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The draft express guys are joining ESPN

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I wonder if that means they'll have to stop taking money from agents and teams.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dokmo posted:

What's this now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

dokmo posted:

Hahaha someone's got some inside information about a mamba in the grass.

• Locked thread