Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I hit a parked car at 0mph with the pannier I forgot I'd put on, and just about didn't fall over.

Five minutes later I hit a post office van at 5mph,with the pannier, and promptly dropped the bike on my leg. A bunch of people stopped to help me, and some nurses stayed to talk for a bit after to suggest I call off work to go to A&E, but I work just down the hall from A&E, so, yeah

I'm posting this from the side of the road with the adrenaline still pumping, so maybe I'll notice something else when it wears off, but as far as I can tell the only damage is this:

And a little rash and stress fracture on the left mirror housing. My leg helpfully held the bike up so there's no damage to the plastics or exhaust.

The engine sounds a little rumbly but that might be my imagination, or something to do with fuel going everywhere when I fell over. I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm rambling. I sure hope my leg isn't hosed, I was supposed to be going on a date tomorrow :(

Don't ride on an empty stomach, friends.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Don't drink on an empty stomach it sounds like

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Razzled: Two crashes in one day, including mailbox

Renaissance Robot: Two crashes in one day, including mailtruck

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I don't think I'll be commemorating this with a tattoo.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What inanimate object will the next goon run into, a post office?!?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Renaissance Robot posted:

I hit a parked car at 0mph with the pannier I forgot I'd put on, and just about didn't fall over.

Five minutes later I hit a post office van at 5mph,with the pannier, and promptly dropped the bike on my leg. A bunch of people stopped to help me, and some nurses stayed to talk for a bit after to suggest I call off work to go to A&E, but I work just down the hall from A&E, so, yeah

I'm posting this from the side of the road with the adrenaline still pumping, so maybe I'll notice something else when it wears off, but as far as I can tell the only damage is this:

And a little rash and stress fracture on the left mirror housing. My leg helpfully held the bike up so there's no damage to the plastics or exhaust.

The engine sounds a little rumbly but that might be my imagination, or something to do with fuel going everywhere when I fell over. I don't know.

Welcome to the club kid, keep a level head and don't get ahead of yourself

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Did you damage or scratch the car at all? Leave a note?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How did you hit two vehicles in 5 minutes? Did you hit and run the first one? After that how did you hit the second?

I'm asking this with no sense of irony at all, were you drunk?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

What kind of loving moron crashes his bike?

EX250 Type R posted:

Razzled: Two crashes in one day, including mailbox

Renaissance Robot: Two crashes in one day, including mailtruck

Chichevache: Two crashes in one day, due to male idiocy.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How did you hit two vehicles in 5 minutes? Did you hit and run the first one? After that how did you hit the second?

I'm asking this with no sense of irony at all, were you drunk?

It was 8am and I was on my way to work. I was not drunk.

I hit the parked car because I was parked on the pavement and misjudged how much space I had to get out between it and the next one. It didn't even get scuffed as far as I could tell, so I did not leave a note. (it was seriously just a tap)

I hit the van on the road because of an ill-judged attempt to filter past to the front of a set of traffic lights. In both cases I essentially forgot to account for the extra width of the sidecase, as I was tired/dehydrated and rushing and pretty much running on autopilot. I haven't mounted the cases in over a year so my basic sense of the size of the bike doesn't include them.

The van is also fine, didn't even notice he'd been hit. Again, it was an almost zero speed tap with the edge of the case, not a full frontal collision.

It's a hella dumb crash and it's what I get for being overconfident and complacent after ~20,000 miles. I'm glad it wasn't at higher speed, and I'll take the lesson to be more aware of my mental state (again, how many loving times am I going to have to relearn this? Ugh, drink more water, idiot)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 20, 2017

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

I was .... running on autopilot.

Chichevache posted:

my brain is pretty much on autopilot.

Crash Test Us: My Autopilot Did It

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

hot sauce posted:

What inanimate object will the next goon run into, a post office?!?

My next accident will be running into a lawn mower

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
"autopilot" is just a combo of instinct and muscle memory

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Those must be really wide side cases. I worried about hitting things with my saddlebags when I first got them, but turns out they only stick out as far as my knees (and are narrower than the ends of the bars) so there's no danger.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

My vstrom has a fat rear end with the cases on. I put them on recently and almost hit a couple things myself before I remembered they were on there.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

EX250 Type R posted:

"autopilot" is just a combo of instinct and muscle memory

It wasn't my fault, my subconscious let me down.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

Those must be really wide side cases. I worried about hitting things with my saddlebags when I first got them, but turns out they only stick out as far as my knees (and are narrower than the ends of the bars) so there's no danger.

They're Kappa 40L:

Except on a ZZR600. They only protrude a few inches beyond the mirrors, which if I'd been awake enough to account for wouldn't have been a problem, as I've split through traffic with them before without issue (albeit only on wide motorway lanes, not city streets).

They are definitely waaaaaay further out than my knees. I think just the rack is about level with my knees.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Your bike is telling you it doesn't want those ugly rear end tumors grafted on it. It gave you a warning tap and then you went and ignored it and got what you deserved. :colbert:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Dear Cycle Asylum,

I never thought this would happen to me..... again.

Sincerely,
Chiche

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Perhaps try something with 4 wheels for a while?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Buhbuhj posted:

Perhaps try something with 4 wheels for a while?

What am I, a quitter?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
What did Kawasaki ever do to you, man

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Jazzzzz posted:

What did Kawasaki ever do to you, man

The Fire Captain who checked me out asked if I thought I'd be safer on a Harley. <:mad:>

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

what brand of bikes havent you ruined so far

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Honda and Yamaha.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Chichevache posted:

Honda and Yamaha.

Triumph!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Flikken posted:

Triumph!

What do you guys think of Daytonas?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
They seem to want to kill their rider; since you seem to want to kill your bikes it'll be like constant hate-loving

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Broken toe. :sigh: I am missing my 4th day of work in 7 days....

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Another set of gear down the shitter as well or did you get away with it?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Carth Dookie posted:

Another set of gear down the shitter as well or did you get away with it?

Literally the first day of my brand new Dainese Super Air. :negative: They did their job perfectly. I'll update with pics later. They might be good for more riding, but I'll probably play it safe and buy a 3rd pair. :shepspends:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
But did you get head a helmet cam?

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I'm sorry I'm a bit confused, did you crash again? Like again again?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Chris Knight posted:

But did you get head a helmet cam?

Bought new gear first! Helmet cam was going to be next!

Shadowlz posted:

I'm sorry I'm a bit confused, did you crash again? Like again again?

:negative:

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Maybe you've done something to anger the gods. Have you defiled any shrines lately?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So does crashing at ridiculous frequency happen to everyone who posts here a lot, or is that just a coincidence

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Karmic justice for being a goon. The road demons don't give a gently caress about bells anymore.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
Have you considered doing an MSF refresher or, if that's too baby-mode, an advanced riding course?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!

Shadowlz posted:

Maybe you've done something to anger the gods. Have you defiled any shrines lately?

All hail the Holy Royal Enfield, his blessings be upon you. :pray:

• Locked thread