Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

asdf32 posted:

Perfect example of you not understanding what democracy is and taking it for granted because it sure isn't guaranteed that democracy is going to win. Right now it's loosing.

:lol: I remember you, I bought you that av but I see your red text has evolved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

asdf32 posted:

Lol nicaraguan democracy.

gently caress you

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

this hosed up bill to crminalize boycotts agaisnt israel is as centrist as it gets. i bet you that most americans would hate this bill if they knew about it.

its a very stupid argument made by a very stupid person

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

asdf32 posted:

In practice the best democracy can do is compromise and in theory it rests on the idea that this is good. Without both its unsustainable.

This only leads to Centrist Supremacy if you assume that one compromise that happened once is going to be what every compromise turns into. Some people saying "don't gulag anyone" while others are going "gulag all the kulaks forever" and they eventually settle on "gulag the bankers for 20 years" would also be a compromise, after all.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I agree in the sense that what we call centrism in America isn't. It's socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

it's socially conservative fiscally conservative

centrists only pretend to help anyone

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

MaxxBot posted:

A majority also support fewer wars, legal weed, fewer giveaways to defense contractors and other big corporations. When the public and corporate lobbyists disagree on an issue the centrists take the lobbyist position basically every time.

Bordiga was right all along

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

asdf32 i have a feeling that you're not going to win any converts itt

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

get that OUT of my face posted:

asdf32 i have a feeling that you're not going to win any converts itt

But only because centrism doesn't have good memes.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

asdf32 posted:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

asdf32 posted:

please tell me how you, a neoliberal, would solve these problems:
  • higher education cost and affordability
  • the healthcare system
  • rising income inequality
  • the rapid increase of stressful, low-paying jobs and the wane of stable work that pays well
this isn't an exhaustive list of our problems, but i've heard proposals on how to fix them from the left while i've heard none from neoliberal shills like you and the DNC hierarchy that largely consists of people who think like you. and we're not doing it solely through "memes" either

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

• the healthcare system
  • the rapid increase of stressful, low-paying jobs and the wane of stable work that pays well
this isn't an exhaustive list of our problems, but i've heard proposals on how to fix them from the left while i've heard none from neoliberal shills like you and the DNC hierarchy that largely consists of people who think like you. and we're not doing it solely through "memes" either

tax credits and tax free HSAs

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Memes Testing

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

asdf32 posted:

In practice the best democracy can do is compromise and in theory it rests on the idea that this is good. Without both its unsustainable.

Compromise is finding a solution which everyone with power at the time of the agreement considers sufficient. It is produced by all parties competing to achieve their own goals and then accepting a resolution which they are satisfied is the best achievable outcome under the circumstances. It is not adjusting one's core principles to appease a hypothetical middle ground. This is the product of a political elite which seeks power for its own sake and/or the sake of secondary benefits rather than for the sake of realizing a set of goals of producing a beneficial result for society.

asdf32 posted:

Memes express ideas which are already held by those who consume them; confusion in this regard is a sign that you are clueless.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 08:50 on Jul 21, 2017

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
The notion of centrism is also hosed up from the start. And in the US especially. If your dominant parties are fighting about if billionaires should pay 2 or 0 percent in taxes the centrist position of 1 percent is actually a right-wing one.

edit

German centrist in 1939: Let's kill half of all Jews.

Hedenius has issued a correction as of 09:50 on Jul 21, 2017

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

• the healthcare system

Lmao problems?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Hedenius posted:

The notion of centrism is also hosed up from the start. And in the US especially. If your dominant parties are fighting about if billionaires should pay 2 or 0 percent in taxes the centrist position of 1 percent is actually a right-wing one.

edit

German centrist in 1939: Let's kill half of all Jews.

My friend let me tell you about the Overton Window, and I'm not talking about Glenn Beck's "factional" bestseller

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Hedenius posted:

Rightist: "Let's throw people into camps"

Leftist: "Let's throw different people into camps"

idiot liberal centrist: "hurrr don't throw anyone in camps" *wet fart*

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

Fallen Hamprince posted:

hamprince: what japanese 'people'?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Fallen Hamprince posted:

idiot liberal centrist: "hurrr lets throw everyone into all the camps" *wet fart*

ftfy

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
hell yeah mandatory summer camp

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!
soviets: *put 7 million people in the gulag*

america: hold my beer *put 7 million people in very profitable prisons*

(not kidding, american incarceration rates hold pace with that of the soviets under stalin at their height, it's awesome)

(not as efficient as the german system, mind you)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Hodgepodge posted:

soviets: *put 7 million people in the gulag*

america: hold my beer *put 7 million people in very profitable prisons*

(not kidding, american incarceration rates hold pace with that of the soviets under stalin at their height, it's awesome)

(not as efficient as the german system, mind you)

centrists have to show they're tough on crime after all

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

logikv9 posted:

hell yeah mandatory summer camp

there ain't no party like a communist party 'cause a communist party is MANDATORY

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

Autism Sneaks posted:

there ain't no party like a communist party 'cause a communist party is MANDATORY

brave men and women died for your right to party, comrade :smugissar:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fallen Hamprince posted:

What do you call a non voluntary private prison labor program if not a gulag.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Larry Parrish posted:

What do you call a non voluntary private prison labor program if not a gulag.

centrism!

asdf32
May 15, 2010

• the healthcare system

My quick answers
Tax rich -> free public universities
Tax rich -> healthcare
See the others
Tax rich -> fund more better infrastructure/research jobs

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

taxing the rich is a social democratic platform, comrade

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

It's cool that the self-appointed centrist actually left of center.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

1. Tax the rich
2. Blow the money in poorly designed programs staffed by ridiculously paid private grifters.
3. Brutally and insanely crush any left wing ideas that you find vaguely threatening (all of them)
4. ???
5. Flail helplessly when a Republican with a gram of charisma delivers stunning and totally unexpected electoral defeat. Begin pushing for war before the last vote is counted.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's cool that the self-appointed centrist actually left of center.

Haha like I haven't been called a centrist neoliberal liberal shill in this thread and a million others.

Centrism isn't actually defined which makes it even more lol you guys waste your breath attacking people best defined for not swearing allegiance to one ideology or another. The result is that anti-centristism means more than centrism.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

asdf32 posted:

That or any democracy depends on a functioning center.

Anti-centrists are anti democratic regardless of whether they're too dumb to recognize it or not.

This is only trivially true in the sense that some sort of "center" will always exist relative to the current left and right, but it's transparently obvious that when people criticize centrists they're referring to the ideology that happens to currently be considered the centrist.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

This is only trivially true in the sense that some sort of "center" will always exist relative to the current left and right, but it's transparently obvious that when people criticize centrists they're referring to the ideology that happens to currently be considered the centrist.

No, they're attacking the legitimacy of compromise and opposition at a fundamental level. Wanting the country to move far left isn't the same as being an anti-democracy ideolog but these people silly enough to attack "centrism" out themselves as exacty that.

Quick reminder how peter called out Nicaraguan democracy. It's guaranteed he'd support the slow erosion of democracy that represents at every step of the way because that's what ideological anti-compromise purity is. The tea party is the same thing and we're watching the logical result of its success in office right now. A leftist tea party comprised of these people would be identical.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

asdf32 posted:

Haha like I haven't been called a centrist neoliberal liberal shill in this thread and a million others.

Centrism isn't actually defined which makes it even more lol you guys waste your breath attacking people best defined for not swearing allegiance to one ideology or another. The result is that anti-centristism means more than centrism.

yeah centrism is defined. hillary refers to herself as a centrist, so hillary is centrist. macron also refers to himself as a centrist, and he loves kings and monarchy

so you can see the definition of centrist is "deceptive right wing snake"

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

asdf32 posted:

No, they're attacking the legitimacy of compromise and opposition at a fundamental level.

What kind of compromise do you want to make with Donald Trump exactly?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

asdf32 posted:

No, they're attacking the legitimacy of compromise and opposition at a fundamental level. Wanting the country to move far left isn't the same as being an anti-democracy ideolog but these people silly enough to attack "centrism" out themselves as exacty that.

Quick reminder how peter called out Nicaraguan democracy. It's guaranteed he'd support the slow erosion of democracy that represents at every step of the way because that's what ideological anti-compromise purity is. The tea party is the same thing and we're watching the logical result of its success in office right now. A leftist tea party comprised of these people would be identical.

A citizen's job is not to compromise with ideological opponents. That is a politician's job. All citizens need to do is advocate for what they actually want (and, I would argue, make the pragmatic decision in the voting booth). Arguments about compromise seem to make the implicit assumption that the people criticizing a politician aren't willing to vote for him/her because of that, and while that's sometimes true it isn't always the case (in fact, it's usually not the case).

If a citizen wants single payer (just as an example), it is in their interests to criticize politicians who don't support it. Voting is a separate issue where it makes sense to make the pragmatic choice (since, in America, it's guaranteed that either a Democrat or Republican will win), and I can understand criticizing people who don't do that. But expressing opinions is something completely different, and there is literally no point to a citizen compromising the views they choose to express. If anything, politicians won't move in the direction they want unless there's a significant outspoken demand from their constituency for them to do so.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

asdf32 posted:

Words are defined by their intersubjective use; pretending you don't understand what is meant by 'centrist' is acting as if you are suddenly incapable of communication in the language you are speaking.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

FuriousxGeorge posted:

What kind of compromise do you want to make with Donald Trump exactly?

Only banning some muslims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Only taking healthcare away from 10m people

• Locked thread