Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

PremiumSupport posted:

A ticket came in:

Word document won't print.

The file was sent to the user through email, but it's not infected in any way that can be detected by our antivirus suite. Printer is working fine and other documents print fine, tried the file on another workstation, still wouldn't print. Tried the file on my personal workstation, still wouldn't print. No error message at all, click print, select printer, hit the print button nothing happens. Tried saving it as a new file, still wouldn't print.

Copy/pasted the entire contents of the document to a brand new Word document and it prints beautifully :shrug:

Oh, I've seen something like that. I think there's something goofy in the document margins or something somewhere that ends up making it a one gigabyte file and the printer says no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

PremiumSupport posted:

A ticket came in:

The file was sent to the user through email, but it's not infected in any way that can be detected by our antivirus suite. Printer is working fine and other documents print fine, tried the file on another workstation, still wouldn't print. Tried the file on my personal workstation, still wouldn't print. No error message at all, click print, select printer, hit the print button nothing happens. Tried saving it as a new file, still wouldn't print.

Copy/pasted the entire contents of the document to a brand new Word document and it prints beautifully :shrug:
This is an incredibly frequent occurrence. The other one that's great is the PDF document that corrupts the print queue every time you try to print it, but if you print it to PDF then try to print it, it prints fine.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

This is an incredibly frequent occurrence. The other one that's great is the PDF document that corrupts the print queue every time you try to print it, but if you print it to PDF then try to print it, it prints fine.

Acrobat has a "print as image" option that is a decent work around for that problem

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My favorite print error is when the PDF page size is corrupted/incorrectly set in the document so that if you leave the default "choose paper source by document page size" ticked in Acrobat it just gives up and 'successfully' prints each page of the document as a postage stamp on whatever is in the printer's default tray.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
cursed images

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Migishu posted:

cursed images

Stay safe printer ghost.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

PremiumSupport posted:

A ticket came in:

HP Printer?

I've seen this happen A LOT with HP printer drivers and Word/Excel/PDF. The fix has always been to specify a paper type in the printer's properties. Most of HP's drivers default to "unspecified" as the paper type. Setting it to something else generally fixes the no print issue, at least for me.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

stevewm posted:

HP Printer?

I've seen this happen A LOT with HP printer drivers and Word/Excel/PDF. The fix has always been to specify a paper type in the printer's properties. Most of HP's drivers default to "unspecified" as the paper type. Setting it to something else generally fixes the no print issue, at least for me.

Original printer was indeed an older HP 2035, but it also failed to print to either of our big Lanier MFPs, so I discounted driver issues as the cause. I'm guessing it was a margin error or some other funky setting like Dr. Arbitrary suggested, causing windows to barf on the file when trying to print.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

guppy posted:

Today a user called in a ticket because they were having problems with email not being delivered. A member of Desktop Support emailed them for more information. The user did not respond to the email, so Desktop Support closed the ticket.

I always feel like situations like this deserve a laugh track from a funny sitcom segment or something.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Migishu posted:

cursed images

Need to add "for now" in scrawled blood red ink to really add to the sense of dread.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Dick Trauma posted:

The consultant brings in his own Mac laptop. He called to ask how to make Dashboard permanently visible because he now has an external screen and he says he's getting annoyed by how the Dashboard constantly disappears.

As far as I know the only way to do this is with the old developer widget which I have no source for. He started getting angry and said that everyone else he knows can have the Dashboard stay onscreen all the time and how he couldn't be the only person on Earth that can't keep it visible.

This strange comment is what allowed me to figure out how to solve his problem. Who else can guess the solution? :pseudo:

"Go ask them how they did it then. Have a good weekend!"

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

The consultant brings in his own Mac laptop. He called to ask how to make Dashboard permanently visible because he now has an external screen and he says he's getting annoyed by how the Dashboard constantly disappears.

As far as I know the only way to do this is with the old developer widget which I have no source for. He started getting angry and said that everyone else he knows can have the Dashboard stay onscreen all the time and how he couldn't be the only person on Earth that can't keep it visible.

This strange comment is what allowed me to figure out how to solve his problem. Who else can guess the solution? :pseudo:

optional response :

"You're a consultant. We're paying you for your time. If you need help from us for your own equipment, you can pay us for our time. Otherwise, you should contact your own support staff"

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Yesterday, at 3:30, the director comes in my office to inform me that he has scheduled to host a video conference with several different high ranking alumni and schools for today at 1:00.

We do not have video conferencing equipment or services. This is a completely new thing that I was given less than half a day to research, set up, and test.

But your ol' pal larchesdanrew came through with flying colors. I called upon all of my television station training to rig up a passable video conferencing system in our conference room using Zoom and had it ready to go just in time for the meeting.

Then an email came in.

Director Dipshit posted:

Larchesdanrew they actually do not have access to cameras, so we will simply do an audio-conference. Thanks,.

:downs:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Larches, if you had learned anything from your time at the TV station, it would have been that rigging a thing in that amount of time is impossible, as it would distract from your time spent smoking and idly adding to your hoard of SIMM sticks and CRT monitors in your basement lair.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

guppy posted:

Today a user called in a ticket because they were having problems with email not being delivered. A member of Desktop Support emailed them for more information. The user did not respond to the email, so Desktop Support closed the ticket.

We have guys in my department that pull poo poo like this. Contact instructions clearly and explicitly say to call the customer contacts in the event of an outage, and provide office, cell, and home numbers. Guys just send an email. Customer has local exchange.

Management never takes corrective measures beyond a generic email to everyone reminding us to follow the instructions.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Nerdrock posted:

optional response :

"You're a consultant. We're paying you for your time. If you need help from us for your own equipment, you can pay us for our time. Otherwise, you should contact your own support staff"

I like this answer but cannot use it.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Hey Zil - thought you might appreciate this:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Nards Pan posted:

Hey Zil - thought you might appreciate this:

Fixed it for you.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
This got a chuckle out of me:

quote:

Cardiac Coordinator - Business Development/xxx-xxx-xxxx// user requesting an update on her cumputer

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Fixed it for you.

Sending that to my manager now.

Also it is just random accounts that fail now. Fun thing our Rackspace rep told us they have a list of accounts they are going to fix manually. So we asked which of our users are on said list so we can let them know in advance and are now being told there was never any list. :bang:

They can't find their own rear end in a top hat over there anymore apparently.

Zil fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 21, 2017

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

guppy posted:

I think I know that guy! (Seriously, though, are his initials JL?)

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Larches, do not agree to ridiculous requests like that last minute video conference set up, as that last minute poo poo will just keep getting more and more abusive.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
here we go again

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
So when the revolution comes, who will be first against the wall? Those who make printers, or those who make printer drivers?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

sfwarlock posted:

They are not.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

So when the revolution comes, who will be first against the wall? Those who make printers, or those who make printer drivers?

The drivers. Printers are uniformly bad but drivers... jeeeeeesus...

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Dick Trauma posted:

A good friend of mine ended up at HP running the testing team for printer hardware. After he recovered from the rear end-kicking I gave him because, you know, printers, he likes to tell me stories about the drivers teams and how utterly pants-on-head retarded they really are.

Regression testing complete and driver about to ship? A perfect time to bolt on a feature that was specified in the doc but "forgotten about" until shipping.

Apparently this happens all the time because driver teams don't have time or inclination to code stuff properly. They leave a challenging or time-intensive feature out and then slap something on at the last minute, neatly bypassing the testing process while fulfilling the letter of the spec doc.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Dick Trauma posted:

One of my college classmates/acquaintances interned on the Zebra driver dev team.

It explained a hell of a lot when I actually had to deal with Zebra printers at job i left a few months ago. Specifically, why you use the Seagull Scientific ones instead.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Agrikk posted:

A good friend of mine ended up at HP running the testing team for printer hardware. After he recovered from the rear end-kicking I gave him because, you know, printers, he likes to tell me stories about the drivers teams and how utterly pants-on-head retarded they really are.

Regression testing complete and driver about to ship? A perfect time to bolt on a feature that was specified in the doc but "forgotten about" until shipping.

Apparently this happens all the time because driver teams don't have time or inclination to code stuff properly. They leave a challenging or time-intensive feature out and then slap something on at the last minute, neatly bypassing the testing process while fulfilling the letter of the spec doc.

If we all chipped in, could you buy him a gun?

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
A spanning tree loop came in. It took out a small call center.

All the network engineers associated with building said call center have quit. I am watching emails come in with photos of the switches in the racks there, as we try to talk semi-technical people through identifying the right devices to reboot. There is a senior vice president on the call.

Just thought I would share some of the insanity.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Switches are one of those things that you can take out the box, plug it in, and have it "just work", so unfortunately you see problems with the way things like (R/M)STP are set up all the time - like a little 8 port switch under a desk that happens to be managed and assumes the role of root bridge every time it's powered up.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Switches are one of those things that you can take out the box, plug it in, and have it "just work", so unfortunately you see problems with the way things like (R/M)STP are set up all the time - like a little 8 port switch under a desk that happens to be managed and assumes the role of root bridge every time it's powered up.

True. And it makes it even worse when the aforementioned network engineers left the switching setup only partially documented. Reboots are in progress now.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

PurpleButterfly posted:

try to talk semi-technical people through identifying the right devices to reboot.

This is one of the things that drives me nuts. I get it, not everyone is technically inclined, but in places with a somewhat complicated setup or xX~CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE~Xx you'd think they would have at least one person that can tell you the difference between a router, firewall, and switch.

We had to dispatch to an office 90 minutes away a couple weeks ago because the 'technical' contact was on PTO, and "No one in the office is technical enough' to identify and power on the only server in the office. Literally all we needed was someone to push the power button. I hope like hell they got billed for that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MF_James posted:

I have not done QoS over an IPsec tunnel in a fortigate, but I know for QoS to work on standard ports you need to put inbound/outbound bandwidth (so if it's you WAN you put in your WAN down/up rates) so that QoS knows when to start dropping packets, this can only be done via CLi. Here is the KB article for that: http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD36248

You might just need to contact their support about doing it over an IPSec tunnel though, especially since you aren't seeing hits on the policy, sorry I can't help further :(

Also just found this:

VLAN, VDOM and virtual interfaces
Policy-based traffic shaping does not use queues directly. It shapes the traffic and if the
packet is allowed by the security policy, then a priority is assigned. That priority controls
what queue the packet will be put in upon egress. VLANs, VDOMs, aggregate ports and
other virtual devices do not have queues and as such, traffic is sent directly to the
underlying physical device where it is queued and affected by the physical ports.
This is also the case with IPsec connections.

http://docs.fortinet.com/uploaded/files/1049/fortigate-traffic-shaping-40-mr3.pdf

So it seems if you follow the KB for setting up QoS, it should apply to the IPSec tunnel once you get it all setup correctly, at least that's what I am gleaning from reading that.

Late reply to this but I think you're probably right - I can't get a hit on protocol 50 traffic as it's not traversing the firewall, it's being terminated there. I did open a support case but the first reply was "here's a document" that makes no mention of VPN tunnels so I have pushed back for a clearer answer.

I've decided that since this is PBX running inside an Azure Virtual Network connected via VPN that I am just going to allow traffic from our site through on the public IP so that I can do VPN tunnel maintenance without disrupting voice service, and it also makes it really easy to drop off a couple of phones at any future remote sites by just adding their public IPs to the ACLs on the VM and ensuring the provisioning URL is set correctly.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

devmd01 posted:

One of my college classmates/acquaintances interned on the Zebra driver dev team.

It explained a hell of a lot when I actually had to deal with Zebra printers at job i left a few months ago. Specifically, why you use the Seagull Scientific ones instead.

We migrated from Labelview to BarTender because of how great their Zebra drivers are.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

sfwarlock posted:

oh man, a blast from the past

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Neither, that is reserved for whomever keeps deciding that faxing is acceptable in the year of our lord 2017.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zil posted:

Neither, that is reserved for whomever keeps deciding that faxing is acceptable in the year of our lord 2017.

Yeah, pretty sure the general population will support putting bankers against the wall first.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

All of us that do automation or programming will be up against the wall for still having jobs when the rest have been automated away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

All of us that do automation or programming will be up against the wall for still having jobs when the rest have been automated away.

I've written scripts that would automate about 25% of a coworkers workload but I'll never get to deploy them.

• Locked thread