Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Xander77 posted:

I still have no idea what "Chftz" is supposed to be.

The first word? That's "You"

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

This is a Trump of several leagues more competence and sapience that I would expect in a parody of a parody than what reality has given us.

He literally drools in public for god's sake.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Office Pig posted:

This is a Trump of several leagues more competence and sapience that I would expect in a parody of a parody than what reality has given us.

It's almost impossible to write coherent fiction (even short comics) about Trump because he's fundamentally not believable as a human being

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Office Pig posted:

Come on now. He's clumsy, clueless and could seemingly forget he's supposed to get into a car, but drooling in public?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

It's almost impossible to write coherent fiction (even short comics) about Trump because he's fundamentally not believable as a human being

"Trump is president, Alex Jones is mad at yogurt?! Talk to me buddy, what's going on down there?"

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

cheetah7071 posted:

When Good Night and Good Luck came out, a critic complained that the actor playing McCarthy was too over the top. All the appearances of McCarthy in that movie were actually archive footage of the real guy.

When the inevitable Trump movie is made, he'll be toned down significantly and will still come off as a parody.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

toanoradian posted:

Come on now. He's clumsy, clueless and could seemingly forget he's supposed to get into a car, but drooling in public?

It's not much, but here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrPxq7todqE

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Yeah, guy with a Bors cartoon as profile pic, Ben will certainly believe you're a big fan. :thumbsup:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

lmao

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

frankenfreak posted:

Yeah, guy with a Bors cartoon as profile pic, Ben will certainly believe you're a big fan. :thumbsup:

Well, there's lots of ways to be fanatical. Some people would call themselves big fans of The Room.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Oscar Wilde posted:

Life imitates Art far more than Art imitates Life

Sergey Lavrov via NBC News posted:

“They might have met even much more than just three times,” he told NBC News’ Keir Simmons in an exclusive interview, dismissing speculation about the leaders' meetings.

"Maybe they went to the toilet together," he joked

Foreshadowing!

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Nick Anderson got laid off by the Houston Chronicle. There are no more on-staff newspaper editorial cartoonists in Texas.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Maybe Jack Ohman can pull double duty for the Lone Star State.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

KillerQueen posted:

Steve Bannon channeling Uncle Ruckus.

Well, they do agree on their views of non-white people.

Also, can we please stop freaking out every time a cartoon has incorrect Cyrillic? It was kind of funny the first time, but it's gotten old.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Garrison posted:

The Republican plan doesn’t fix the death spiral of Obamacare, it simply subsidizes it.”--Rand Paul

Senator Paul knows government loves taxes and bureaucracy and it will always be reluctant to vote away such power and control. So instead of repealing the disaster that is Obamacare altogether, Republicans are tinkering with a replacement. This is the wrong approach.

The Obamacare monster doesn’t need to be replaced. It needs to be repealed. Eliminate it altogether. Get government out of the health care business. Stop subsidizing insurance companies with taxpayer money. Instead, make insurance companies compete on an open, free market. That’s what capitalism is all about. If we removed big government and insurance company interference from health care, real capitalism could drive medical costs down considerably.

—Ben Garrison

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Trogdos! posted:

If we removed big government and insurance company interference from health care, real capitalism could drive medical costs down considerably.

Oh wow. He really, sincerely believes this huh? ~Real capitalism~.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The GOP could not deal with Pres Barakenstien's signature achievement.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Garrison posted:

If we removed big government and insurance company interference from health care, real capitalism could drive medical costs down considerably.
How do you argue with people who really believe this is a thing that would work?

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Yes, Rand Paul, famously someone who never stood in the way of repeal.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bennett's been on kind of a weak streak lately

I dunno about you but I always label my straws with my surname so everybody knows who that straw belongs to

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Obamacare is a tragic figure cobbled together from different parts and only barely functional, but it is still deserving of love and is blameless in its creation. The ignorant townsfolk hate and fear it, and try to round up a mob to kill Obamacare, but are luckily foiled by laziness and incompetence. A Good Cartoon and An Apt Metaphor.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The fear of Obamacare is based entirely on ignorance and misunderstanding, a good comic.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

You know who the real, identifiable and heroic figures are in the Frankenstein tale? The pitchfork-bearing mob. Just as heroic an emulatable example as Icarus, come to think about it.

e;fb.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 21, 2017

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Johnny Walker posted:

How do you argue with people who really believe this is a thing that would work?

"The next time you're rushed into the ER, every single doctor on-duty lines up at the entrance, and engages in a bidding war to get to be the one to tend to you, refusing to service you until you pick one... or you succumb to your wounds. In desperation, you choose the cheapest price you hear... And that's how you wind up with the OBGYN treating you for injuries sustained in a car accident."

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Erenthal posted:

At this point, I feel like the faith in free market qualifies it as a religion. Like no joke, I think a lot of them would adjust their views of their god before capitalism.

All are welcome to the Church of the Invisible Hand

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Pants Donkey posted:

At this point, I feel like the faith in free market qualifies it as a religion. Like no joke, I think a lot of them would adjust their views of their god before capitalism.

All are welcome to the Church of the Invisible Hand

So let me tell you about Supply Side Jesus...

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Regalingualius posted:

"The next time you're rushed into the ER, every single doctor on-duty lines up at the entrance, and engages in a bidding war to get to be the one to tend to you, refusing to service you until you pick one... or you succumb to your wounds. In desperation, you choose the cheapest price you hear... And that's how you wind up with the OBGYN treating you for injuries sustained in a car accident."
"Of course emergency situations are different but that's all factored in somehow" is the literal argument they give.

I understand the attraction that such seemingly simple solutions have for people but that they persist for so many people despite the fact that if you think about it for even a minute the reasons it won't work become obvious I cannot understand. I can only assume they just never really think about it. Or when they do it's in the context of their libertarian fantasyland where everything has already changed completely and just works now because of the magic of free markets.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Renaissance Spam posted:

A Kreider classic!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Renaissance Spam posted:

Supply Side Jesus ages better than wine.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Erenthal posted:

Increasing health care costs will lead to many poor people dying. Demand slackens. Supply and prices decrease to meet lower demand. The cycle starts anew!

Isn't the free market great?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Increasing health care costs will lead to many poor people dying. Demand slackens. Supply and prices decrease to meet lower demand. The cycle starts anew!

Isn't the free market great?

Given how hard red America gets hosed without the ACA, yes.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Erenthal posted:

At least he's making the argument. Jon Lovett, on Pod Save America and Lovett or Leave It, has repeatedly pointed out that fundamentally conservatives don't believe the government should be involved in health care, but most of them aren't willing to make that argument because it's unpopular. The root problem with the repeal and replace effort is that they're vocally accepting the premise that the government should ensure everyone gets health care, yet refusing to follow it to the necessary implications of "spend money and regulate." If you want to say that government should stay out of the health care system, say so, but don't give us "Obamacare but worse."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Johnny Walker posted:

I'm not sure you can, they're literally arguing against reality.

We already tried having capitalism controlled Healthcare, it didn't drive prices down and lots of people died needlessly. Now we're trying something else and it's cheaper and causing people to die less.

If someone can look at these basic facts and just say "nah" inspite of all evidence what more can you do?

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

Given how hard red America gets hosed without the ACA, yes.

Lots of PoCs and minorities are going to get hosed too, so I'm not going to really promote this as an ethical alternative.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

these same people also say that The Pure Unfettered Market could do the FDA's job, because if enough people get food poisoning from a certain kind of food, nobody will want to buy that food anymore

if you ask "what about all the people who have to get food poisoning before the word gets out" you'll get a "meh"
if you ask "won't the people who made the lovely poisoned food suffer no further consequences than that individual gravy train running dry, which frees them up to just rebrand and start again as many times as they want" you will get nothing because they'll have stopped listening by then

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

I guess this means the Republicans are too inept to deal with a simple pile of donkey manure in the road.

A band-aid on the head is a novel way to treat brain cancer.

I like to think those medals are covering icons of the planes McCain lost.

7 :stare:

Guest background artist: David Dees

I'm guessing Delonas was one of those sad souls glued to the TV for the entirety of the seemingly endless OJ Trial. That said, I do really like the Bronco chase cartoon.

Can't wait for all the Spicey cartoons!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

loquacius posted:

these same people also say that The Pure Unfettered Market could do the FDA's job, because if enough people get food poisoning from a certain kind of food, nobody will want to buy that food anymore

if you ask "what about all the people who have to get food poisoning before the word gets out" you'll get a "meh"
if you ask "won't the people who made the lovely poisoned food suffer no further consequences than that individual gravy train running dry, which frees them up to just rebrand and start again as many times as they want" you will get nothing because they'll have stopped listening by then

Again, this is stuff that has all already happened in real life. Like, we tried doing stuff with just the free market and it was awful and unsanitary and that's why we have the FDA now.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Sandpuppy posted:

Can't wait for all the Spicey cartoons!

Finally, some good news from this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Britain's stance at the Brexit negotiations – The EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier, has warned the British government that it must make clear its opening position on the divorce bill this summer in order for progress to be made on a wider deal"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Mail:
Mac on... Gender divide between BBC stars' salaries

• Locked thread