Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

simplefish posted:

and from personal experience, if you ever wonder why the area between Central and Sheung Wan in HK backs up, it's because people don't respect the yellow boxes. If they did, things could flow, but, yknow, ME FIRST. Happened the same in the UK, we lived near a major junction. If people followed the traffic engineers' plan, there'd be far fewer issues.
There was a big roundabout in a tourist area near me. I'm not sure how long it had been there, because it looked new, but a few months later it was gone and a stop light in its place. I wonder how many cars went the wrong way, or some Uber/Didi guys parked along it waiting for fare. Whatever it was, I just can't imagine a roundabout going over well or being used properly in China.

simplefish posted:

Haier i know you say no everytime but come have a beer, if you dont have fun you can leave us behind with all the other China bullshit youre vacating

caberham posted:

He doesn't drink

Jeoh posted:

just give him a bag of half and half, it'll be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Holy moly, thats 1704 sticks per person in 2016! Children, women, eldery and everyone included. (In other words, pretty accurate!)

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I dunno, that's less than 6/day.

Also, finally caught up with the thread in time to meet my brother's Chinese gf this weekend.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

HOLY CRAP WHAT A MASSIVE DROP-- oh wait, it's less than 10%. I don't care about Chinese stats or whatnot, but graphs like that are meant for tabloids and automatically make me take the opposite stance of whatever point they're trying to make.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Haier posted:

There was a big roundabout in a tourist area near me. I'm not sure how long it had been there, because it looked new, but a few months later it was gone and a stop light in its place. I wonder how many cars went the wrong way, or some Uber/Didi guys parked along it waiting for fare. Whatever it was, I just can't imagine a roundabout going over well or being used properly in China.

The area where my dad lived in Tianjin had a roundabout. Every taxi we took went the wrong way unless he told the driver how to drive in it.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Speleothing posted:

I dunno, that's less than 6/day.

Also, finally caught up with the thread in time to meet my brother's Chinese gf this weekend.

Actually you're right, google says 68% of chinese are smokers, so that's just 7 a day. Tbh I never thought about how much the average smokers consumes in a year.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

On my honeymoon in Spain, trying to see Guernica and who decides to show up but a pack of screaming Chinese children

I can never escape

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Son of Rodney posted:

Actually you're right, google says 68% of chinese are smokers, so that's just 7 a day. Tbh I never thought about how much the average smokers consumes in a year.

I dunno if it's already factored in, but that's mostly men. The smoking rate for women is far, far lower. As far as everyday experience it certainly seems like 90%+ of men chain smoke here, it's everywhere all the time and loving disgusting. One of the best parts of visiting the US was nobody smokes there. I don't think I smelled a cigarette the entire time.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Serephina posted:

HOLY CRAP WHAT A MASSIVE DROP-- oh wait, it's less than 10%. I don't care about Chinese stats or whatnot, but graphs like that are meant for tabloids and automatically make me take the opposite stance of whatever point they're trying to make.

fixed it

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

oohhboy posted:

Bitcoin is getting ready to shatter or entrench the large players even more. The system is getting ever slower, fees are going up as it never had the ability to scale so they are looking to increase limits and add a secondary layer to "Double" transaction rates. Currently a transaction can take up to 3 days or more to process.

China gets a mention but what isn't said is how large of the "Market" they make up of which I believe is well north of 50%. The developers are looking to adoption rates of 80% for the new update but the Chinese miners have rejected patches before which means they are the ones that control monetary policy not the developers.

If Bitcoin gets forked it is hosed(More than usual). I will have a serious laugh if this causes bitcoiners to lose their shirts and wipes a shitload of money trying to get out of China.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40654194

I heard a lot of people are bailing towards litecoin and other cryptocurrencies. Admittedly I don't know much about the system though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Admittedly I don't know much about the system though.
It's scams all the way down.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Jusupov posted:

The area where my dad lived in Tianjin had a roundabout. Every taxi we took went the wrong way unless he told the driver how to drive in it.

Do arrow signs not exist over there?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Justin Bieber banned from China in order to purify nation

Lmao

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/controversial-justin-bieber-banned-china-order-purify-nation/

quote:

Canadian pipsqueak Justin Bieber may have successfully turned around his reputation by staying out of the headlines and converting millions of cynical pop fans by releasing uncomfortably decent music, but his good behaviour tour hasn't yet worked on the Chinese government, who have banned the star from performing in the country.

When a Chinese Bieber fan contacted the Beijing Municipal Bureau of Culture to ask why her idol hasn't been seen in the country for several years, despite scheduling dates in nearby Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and the Philippines on the Asian leg of his latest world tour, they were met with a friendly if firm response.

"Justin Bieber is a gifted singer, but he is also a controversial young foreign singer," the bureau told the fan in a statement. "In order to maintain order in the Chinese market and purify the Chinese performance environment, it is not suitable to bring in badly behaved entertainers.

"We hope that as Justin Bieber matures, he can continue to improve his own words and actions, and truly become a singer beloved by the public."

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
As someone who really enjoyed most of his last album, I am not sure what's so offensive about him or his lyrics compared to the local and Korean garbage they play endlessly, causing the government to try to fight back against standardizing boys fashion as waifish and effeminate.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Haier posted:

As someone who really enjoyed most of his last album, I am not sure what's so offensive about him or his lyrics compared to the local and Korean garbage they play endlessly, causing the government to try to fight back against standardizing boys fashion as waifish and effeminate.

All those boys look like lesbians.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
When I had the party place I would have to listen to people singing big bang songs badly on the KTV all loving night.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Duckbag posted:

All those boys look like lesbians.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/china/china-tackles-masculinity-crisis-tries-stop-effeminate-boys-n703461

quote:

A new school textbook that aims to teach boys how to be "masculine" men has been released. Called "Little Men," the book covers the differences between boys and girls, the importance of the father-son relationship as well as the importance of interacting with nature and managing money.
Some sections of the Chinese media have also suggested that the popularity of effeminate Korean and Japanese actors and pop stars is a factor in the supposedly diminishing masculinity of Chinese youth. Last month, a headline in a prominent English-language Chinese newspaper blamed a “'gender crisis’ on effeminate men in Japanese, Korean culture.”
In a study published last year, Zheng observed that Chinese experts have called for stronger “gender-difference education,” arguing that “the crisis of masculinity in effeminate men is considered a peril to the security of the nation because it reflects powerlessness, inferiority, feminized passivity, and social deterioration reminiscent of the colonial past when China was defeated by the colonizing West.”
Hahahaha....hahahahaha

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Where are the flabby buzzcut pop groups?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Mameluke posted:

Where are the flabby buzzcut pop groups?

People's Liberation Army Choir.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It's completely dead at work and I think I'm going to have a three martini lunch.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's completely dead at work and I think I'm going to have a three martini lunch.

Sounds like a man about to work up the courge to get that transfer to china.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Yes the heady scent of unwashed Asian lady rear end in a top hat calls me with a sweet siren clarion call.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
This must always be a Haier in China. When one leaves another raises to take his place.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

I heard a lot of people are bailing towards litecoin and other cryptocurrencies. Admittedly I don't know much about the system though.

All the crypt-currencies are different flavours of the same thing. That are all some sort of blockchain with all the same flaws both technologically and economically.

Collateral Damage posted:

It's scams all the way down.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yes the heady scent of unwashed Asian lady rear end in a top hat calls me with a sweet siren clarion call.

Good thread title

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://en.people.cn/n3/2017/0521/c90000-92144668353.html

"Black culture" deemed least desirable in China

quote:

When Liu Fan Bing saw what his son was watching on his mobile phone, he almost had a heart attack. He told People's Daily the startling story. "There was an African woman shaking her bottom rhythmically. It was so big, I could not look at such a disgusting sight. A black man was singing, maybe he was from Africa, or maybe London, I don't know. He was throwing money in the air. Who would throw away money? I was shocked. My boy is only fourteen years old and I can't bear the thought of him watching those images."
Liu's shock was caused by his son, Hong Bo, watching an American Rap music video on China's popular, and often copied, video service Youku.

As parents across China are coming to find out, the culture of these American Africans and their music is startling to the harmony of Chinese families and culture. The lyrics reference alcoholism, drug use, casual sex (often with multiple partners), and fights. While the appeal of singing about earning money is respectable and commendable, the rest of the package is not so desirable.
"Black culture is in our face. We see how all the world's black people act now when we watch the MV on the internet," said Wang Xiao Dong, Head Professor of Anthropology at Shandong People's Normal University. "They waste their money on gold and jewelry, flashy cars, expensive alcohol, name-brand clothing, smoking, and buying girls for the night. They are known for cheating in school and cheating on their wives. You give them some money and you see the result. Is this the example we want to set for the new generation of Chinese people? It is disgraceful."

Others are not so quick to dismiss black culture. A Chinese rap artist from Changsha, named "HEI8" on the foreign website Soundcloud, had a different opinion. "I came to Los Angeles to begin my career as a rap artist. My parents paid for me to come here and make contacts and buy beats. At first I was so scared of the black people. They were very tall and I could not see them at night. Then I talked to one when he complimented my car. After that I realized Africa people are same as me, and we like 2017 BMW M5. I think we should give them a chance, and I told all my friends to come to L.A. to see the black people."

"It's not right," said Professor Wang. "America is only about four-hundred years old. This is hardly enough time for a country to develop its own culture. Africans began arriving in their boats to work in America about three-hundred and fifty years ago. What could any humans do in such a short time? China has had five-thousand years to make music and dancing, but the only Chinese today that want to practice Chinese music and dancing are found in the public squares after sun down. I am fearful for my country. We have so much to lose from this foreign influence."

Nobody knows what will happen, but Professor Wang has started a petition to President Xi to ban African music in China. You can sign the petition at https://www.8heirenzoukai8555.cn (Chinese language only).

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
How about this boy band, though? Acrush.

They kind of rule tbh

They're all girls

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
The thing is, waifish effeminacy IS the ideal for men in confucian (?) type cultures. Bureaucrats and Governors all flounced around in long rear end robes reciting poetry while mercenary non-han generals did all the actual work of keeping poo poo together.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you're terrified of getting a tan or muscles or exercise you're pretty much limited to Plump Softboy Buzzcut or Skinnyfat Raid Leader body types.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

How about this boy band, though? Acrush.

They kind of rule tbh

They're all girls

You would have gotten me but long ago I decided to assume everyone in a boy band is a ken doll.

And not the 15 new sexy kens, classic ken.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://en.people.cn/n3/2017/0720/c90000-9244331.html

quote:

The State Grid Corporation of China has provided three reasons for why India shines brighter than China in the Earth’s City Lights of image, a NASA project to map urbanization.
According to the Shanghai based media outlet The Paper, India has more plains than China and is surrounded by seas on three sides, which makes the lights appear brighter.
Actually, the map does not measure the intensity of the lights. But India has more blue and green lights and fewer red and orange lights, the latter of which refer to developed areas.

This is a real loving article about butthurt Mainlanders seeing more lights in India, their petty-bitch-fight partner of the week.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Haier posted:

Muh 5000 years of flat asses! :arghfist::reject:

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Haier posted:

When Liu Fan Bing saw what his son was watching on his mobile phone, he almost had a heart attack. "He was throwing money in the air. Who would throw away money? I was shocked. My boy is only fourteen years old and I can't bear the thought of him watching those images."
Lmao

quote:

Said Wang Xiao Dong, Head Professor of Anthropology at Shandong People's Normal University: "They waste their money on gold and jewelry, flashy cars, expensive alcohol, name-brand clothing, smoking, and buying girls for the night. They are known for cheating in school and cheating on their wives. You give them some money and you see the result. Is this the example we want to set for the new generation of Chinese people? It is disgraceful."
Wait, who is this guy talking about, again?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Haier posted:

lmao no way this is real

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Ughh, martinis and bleu cheese fries. I'm drunk working for sure. Good lunch tho highly recommend it

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Haier posted:

When Liu Fan Bing saw what his son was watching on his mobile phone, he almost had a heart attack. He told People's Daily the startling story. "There was an African woman shaking her bottom rhythmically. It was so big, I could not look at such a disgusting sight. A black man was singing, maybe he was from Africa, or maybe London, I don't know.

OH MY GOD
Liu Fan Bing
Would you LOOK at her BUTT

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Haier posted:

quote:

"Black culture is in our face. We see how all the world's black people act now when we watch the MV on the internet," said Wang Xiao Dong, Head Professor of Anthropology at Shandong People's Normal University. "They waste their money on gold and jewelry, flashy cars, expensive alcohol, name-brand clothing, smoking, and buying girls for the night. They are known for cheating in school and cheating on their wives. You give them some money and you see the result. Is this the example we want to set for the new generation of Chinese people? It is disgraceful."

:eyepop:

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

quote:

Wang Xiao Dong

his english name must be Richard

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
To be fair, I once met someone whose given name was [family name I never knew] Long Dong

But that does seem fake as hell, it's too on point.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I had to do some bullshit middle school stuff for a couple months and one class was obsessed with dicks. They finally broke me down with their demands to know penis words in English so I said okay. I'll tell you two that are also words in Chinese, and informed them that wang and dong both mean penis.

The student in the class named Wang Dong, who I then learned existed, had a real bad day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Mad Hamish posted:

OH MY GOD
Liu Fan Bing
Would you LOOK at her BUTT

We all know now that according to Pornhub that means he was massively turned on.

/edit The Curious Case of Wang Dong.

• Locked thread