Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Doom kind of needs the rest of the universe surrounding him to be worthwhile.

A movie that's just him is just a man in metal Renaissance cosplay yelling at the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

TFRazorsaw posted:

A movie that's just him is just a man in metal Renaissance cosplay yelling at the world.

Maybe he'll lead Latveria against a Skrull invasion or something.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

TFRazorsaw posted:

Are you sure that doesn't sound fantastic? Because it sounds fantastic to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TFRazorsaw posted:

So it'll be great then.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

It would be cool to see it done as an F4 movie entirely from his perspective as protagonist. That's the kind of thing that hasn't really been explored yet and Doom is pretty much the ideal villain who sees himself as the hero

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

catlord posted:

The director of Doctor Strange has a somewhat longer career, but he was also mostly known for somewhat small horror movies.

And the writer was my one of my favorite critics on Spill.com and now host of a great podcast, Junkfood Cinema.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dacap posted:

It would be cool to see it done as an F4 movie entirely from his perspective as protagonist. That's the kind of thing that hasn't really been explored yet and Doom is pretty much the ideal villain who sees himself as the hero

A movie produced by Doom which presents his as the hero against the F4, with awkward cuts, voice overs, dubbing over Richards words, etc.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

A movie produced by Doom which presents his as the hero against the F4, with awkward cuts, voice overs, dubbing over Richards words, etc.

The Lego Doom Movie

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

X-O posted:

So it'll be great then.

If they made it a comedy about Doom trying to exist in a normal world, I guess it could work

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

I'm honestly just glad the Rock isn't in it anymore. Which is such a strange thing to say because I really like that guy, but for a while it just seemed like the whole film was just "BLACK ADAAAM!!!!!!...oh and also some kid called Billy Batson or something who cares"

I feel like the Rock would be better as Captain Marvel. I bet he'd be great at playing a 10 year old kid in the body of Superman.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He's playing a teenager in a Rock body in that horrific Jumunji movie thing

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can just say Jumanji, horrific is implied.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Dacap posted:

That's exactly what I was thinking. Tell an origin story from the perspective of Doom.

Act 1 - Young Doom, Mother's Soul Taken, Science > College > Accident*
Act 2 - Searching for Answers/healing> Science fails >Magic holds the key > Both combined into the Armor > Doom is Born
Act 3 - Doom Discovers Threat > Fights Whoever and Wins > Last 20 minutes...

Doom as savior. Actually have him do something "Heroic", like save the world from an alien invasion. No fooling, straight up, he unquestionably saves the world. And not only did he save the world from that, but he's strong enough and smart enough to save the world from itself. War, hunger, disease will all be things of the past. But, in exchange, in typical Doom fashion he wants unwavering fealty, and one world under Doom. This is the heel turn. Not completely out of left field, but you lay it all down here where Doom knows best. "If it weren't for me, you'd all be dead, or under the thumb of this alien oppressor. You were all too dumb to see it until it was too late. You are children and simpletons and you need to be under the benevolent watchful gaze of Doom. It is the only choice. Any other option is to court a painful death at my hands."

And then, at the end of the movie, you hint at the Fantastic Four. Doom is chilling in his Latverian Castle, waiting for the unconditional surrender of the world, when suddenly there's a disturbance from outside. Closer and closer, louder and louder, yells of panic and sounds like thunder make their way toward the throne room. The final door is splintered with a mighty crash, and through the dust, all that can be seen are the silhouettes of our would be "heroes". No "Clobberin' Time!". No words at all. Just quick visual, not even any colors. You should only be able to tell that there's three people and one big guy then cut to black..

*You can have Reed show up here. Have him look things over and genuinely be concerned for Victor's safety. True to comics, Doom ignores whatever advice is given and blows his drat face off.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Dacap posted:

Do it as a biopic, or something like There Will Be Blood, where it shows his rise over the years, and various clashes with the FF.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Adam Wingard made the best Captain America movie.

Goddamn right.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
I think you could take Triumph and Torment, edit out all the Doctor Strange bits, and make a pretty good Doom movie that way.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They're going to make Doom just the two main characters of Full Metal Alchemist combined

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I saw valerian and the city of a thousand planets tonight. It was bad.

Visually, it's amazing. Creature designs, colors, worlds sets all that stuff is great. The plot, characters, actors playing those characters, all of that is terrible. I enjoyed the first hour I guess, but after that I was getting bored and couldn't wait to leave.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kingtheninja posted:

Visually, it's amazing. Creature designs, colors, worlds sets all that stuff is great. The plot, characters, actors playing those characters, all of that is terrible. I enjoyed the first hour I guess, but after that I was getting bored and couldn't wait to leave.

I never thought for even a second that it would be even a little good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kingtheninja posted:

Sounds like a Luc Besson movie to me then.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Rhyno posted:

I never thought for even a second that it would be even a little good.

Yeah I remember seeing a bunch of hype around the forums about this movie and was wondering if those folks were seeing different trailers than the one I was seeing.

X-O posted:

Sounds like a Luc Besson movie to me then.

I'll defend Leon: The Professional and The Fifth Element until my dying breath, but the rest...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rough Lobster posted:

I'll defend Leon: The Professional and The Fifth Element until my dying breath, but the rest...

Leon and The Fifth Element don't need defending. They're great. Nikita is also good.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Teaser for upcoming Syfy series, Krypton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKlbfQqLVqE

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Alehkhs posted:

Looks better than Inhumans.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kingtheninja posted:

Hey, Valerian himself sounded like a younger Keanu Reeves to me. That alone made his performance enjoyable. Just, y'know....not the way he intended. Bill & Ted and the City of a Thousand Planets does sound far more enjoyable, though...

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Alehkhs posted:

I don't want to dismiss it out of hand just for running the the Man of Steel aesthetic, but of the small number of feelings that film evokes in me, excitement is not one of them.

And has SyFy learned nothing from Caprica?!?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Shinjobi posted:

Hey, Valerian himself sounded like a younger Keanu Reeves to me. That alone made his performance enjoyable. Just, y'know....not the way he intended. Bill & Ted and the City of a Thousand Planets does sound far more enjoyable, though...

I kept hearing that too, and eventually I couldn't ignore it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I can't wait to find out in Infinity War just how exactly it's Tony fault this time. Did he email Thanos saying he has the stones?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I think we need Doom breaking the fourth wall Frank Underwood style. And we might even need Kevin Spacey playing him (actually Michael Shannon for dem eyes).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

kaesarsosei posted:

I think we need Doom breaking the fourth wall Frank Underwood style. And we might even need Kevin Spacey playing him (actually Michael Shannon for dem eyes).

It's gonna be bonkers, anything is possible with Noah Hawley running it. What it probably won't be is a straight forward Doom story, it's going to have meta elements and it's going to piss off a lot of people who are hoping for straight adaptation of comics stuff.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's going to be a very loose adaptation of Doom's role in Secret Wars, featuring the 2000s FF, Roger Corman FF, and Josh Trank FF, culminating in an as-of-yet uncast FF joining the MCU.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Argue posted:

It's going to be a very loose adaptation of Doom's role in Secret Wars, featuring the 2000s FF, Roger Corman FF, and Josh Trank FF, culminating in an as-of-yet uncast FF joining the MCU.

Fantastic Four but it's just 4 Dooms from across the multiverse

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Dan Stevens is attached to the Doom movie, hasn't been announced if it's as Doom or another role. I could see him as a decent Reed

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dacap posted:

Dan Stevens is attached to the Doom movie, hasn't been announced if it's as Doom or another role. I could see him as a decent Reed

looking forward to Aubrey Plaza as Sue Storm

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ekeog posted:

looking forward to Aubrey Plaza as Sue Johnny Storm

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

She will play one character who has the split personalities/powers of Johnny/Sue

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Affleck increasingly likely to leave the DCEU

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ben-afflecks-batman-future-doubt-as-warner-bros-plots-franchise-future-1023296

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Wasn't he supposed to like, write or direct or something the actual Batman movie?
He juiced himself into monstrously inhuman proportions for nothing huh

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pussy Quipped posted:

She will play one character who has the split personalities/powers of Johnny/Sue

She can burst into flames, but the flames are invisible.

Also you can't feel the flames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Wasn't he supposed to like, write or direct or something the actual Batman movie?
He juiced himself into monstrously inhuman proportions for nothing huh

He revealed he had serious alcohol problems and stepped back to just acting.

• Locked thread