Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Gerblyn posted:

How well does Vermintide scale if you don't play with a full 4 players? Like, L4D was a pain with less than 4players since the bots kind of sucked.

Badly. Play with other human beings, or goons if you're desperate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Does doom have a bunch of loading? I don't know that I can clear enough space on my SSD so I'm thinking of sending it to my HDD.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Does anyone here remember the name of that game on Steam that was basically a spiritual successor to Myth? I followed it for about a year, since Myth is pretty much my favorite RTS ever, but the last update I saw basically had them changing direction, seeing as that Myth is kind of a niche thing (there are no resources, no magical buffs, no silly inventory items that do poo poo...it was just about utilizing the terrain and weather to make the most out of a terrible situation) and so they decided that they were still going to claim to be a spiritual successor to Myth while abolishing everything that made Myth different. In my opinion, they're shooting both feet with both barrels with this one; if you're selling a game based on a niche franchise, that will reduce the audience size, but then if you're selling a game based on the lie that it is based on a niche franchise, then you're just alienating the few people who were going to buy your drat game, anyway.

Well, that update was like two years ago and I've since then forgotten what it was even called. I don't think it ever entered early access? Oh hell. I know this is not a lot to go on.

But if you can't answer that question, how about this: Wasn't Myth a loving awesome game?

Orv
May 4, 2011

credburn posted:

Does anyone here remember the name of that game on Steam that was basically a spiritual successor to Myth? I followed it for about a year, since Myth is pretty much my favorite RTS ever, but the last update I saw basically had them changing direction, seeing as that Myth is kind of a niche thing (there are no resources, no magical buffs, no silly inventory items that do poo poo...it was just about utilizing the terrain and weather to make the most out of a terrible situation) and so they decided that they were still going to claim to be a spiritual successor to Myth while abolishing everything that made Myth different. In my opinion, they're shooting both feet with both barrels with this one; if you're selling a game based on a niche franchise, that will reduce the audience size, but then if you're selling a game based on the lie that it is based on a niche franchise, then you're just alienating the few people who were going to buy your drat game, anyway.

Well, that update was like two years ago and I've since then forgotten what it was even called. I don't think it ever entered early access? Oh hell. I know this is not a lot to go on.

But if you can't answer that question, how about this: Wasn't Myth a loving awesome game?

http://www.deadhold.com/ ?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

credburn posted:

It was, and I remember it coming out around the same time as Dark Omen. Two of my favorite RTS games.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Sorry to interrupt but this will help me and you; for people considering Vermintide, I bought a CE for the physical stuff while already having the game because it was on super sale at a local store, and I don't want to pay for this mobile drifting game which is US$7:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/635260/CarX_Drift_Racing_Online/

So if someone wants to buy me that game you can have my Vermintide CE key, fresh from the box.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/playmoregames/

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

credburn posted:

It was. Why isn't it on GoG?

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Looks like Take-Two have the IP rights to the series. Remember Myth 3

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Xander77 posted:

Yeah that's one of those IP-holder fuckery games, like NOLF.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Terminally Bored posted:

Dark Omen. Two of my favorite RTS games.

Dark Omen? What is this. Legacy of Kain?

Hollenhammer posted:

Remember Myth 3

I most certainly will not. I also will not remember its extremely awkward puppet theatre cutscenes that would have been dated had the game come out five years prior.

That might be it? Holy poo poo, it's been so long I don't even remember.

Hey, that reminds me, you know what was a good Myth-alike? Ground Control. Similar sort of concept -- you basically have whatever units you begin the map with and have to use them and the terrain to ensure victory. It's sci-fi rather than fantasy, but it's really drat good. There's a character named Major Tom.

Ground Control 2 was fine, but it's a sequel in the sense of story; gameplaywise it's like a step forward and then it turns around and sprints the other way.

Edit: Didja guys know, that originally, Halo was going to be a RTS using the Myth engine?

credburn fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 21, 2017

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

credburn posted:

Dark Omen? What is this. Legacy of Kain?

Warhammer RTS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer:_Dark_Omen

Sequel to : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer:_Shadow_of_the_Horned_Rat

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Someone else asked but any thoughts on Kingdoms and Castles? It seemed interesting.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Still holding out hope that DO gets onto GOG someday. Shadow's there, so I don't know why EA doesn't just put the sequel up for sale.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

RBA Starblade posted:

Someone else asked but any thoughts on Kingdoms and Castles? It seemed interesting.

I've watched a few videos and it seems very slow and methodical. Small maps and it leans more incremental building to increase population cap or food storage or combat strength, than an actual "city builder" game. Didn't seem to have as much going on in terms of resource management as some settlement building games along the lines of Banished or even Rimworld. Not sure how much depth it has, but the screenshots show settlements getting a lot bigger than I saw in the videos. That said it seems fairly well made, I like the graphics and theme and it's really cheap so I'll probably end up getting at at this point as I don't mind those sort of games.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Oh god this game. "We're under attack! Help us! Blargle!" :argh:

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Leal posted:

Oh god this game. "We're under attack! Help us! Blargle!" :argh:

Spam the bicep button to power up

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Remember that the original release version of Myth 2 was so badass that it deleted your hard drive when you uninstalled it (if the game folder was directly on C:). Bungie had to recall all Myth II CDs to fix this.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

markgreyam posted:

Sorry to interrupt but this will help me and you; for people considering Vermintide, I bought a CE for the physical stuff while already having the game because it was on super sale at a local store, and I don't want to pay for this mobile drifting game which is US$7:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/635260/CarX_Drift_Racing_Online/

So if someone wants to buy me that game you can have my Vermintide CE key, fresh from the box.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/playmoregames/

I pm'd you.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Palpek posted:

Remember that the original release version of Myth 2 was so badass that it deleted your hard drive when you uninstalled it (if the game folder was directly on C:). Bungie had to recall all Myth II CDs to fix this.

That's a pretty crazy Ironman mode.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Orv posted:

Inquisitor Martyr is getting there, but yeaaaaaaaaah.

Is it actually fun to play? The gameplay footage makes it look super clunky and slow.

Terminally Bored posted:

Protip: scroll past any Deakul posts.

Rude, can't help that I loving hate roguelikes.

Dying and starting all over again and again isn't my idea of fun and neither are procedural levels anymore.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 21, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Deakul posted:

Is it actually fun to play? The gameplay footage makes it look super clunky and slow.

Yeah, the combat in the Van Helsing games was really pretty unsatisfying.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mordja posted:

Van Helsing is pretty much why I'm so hesitant to get even a little bit excited over a 40k ARPG by these guys.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The first Van Helsing was a fine little curiosity pre-2012 when the new wave of ARPGs hit, and then they made two more.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

Kinda, yeah. It's never going to reach the speed and ALL EXPLOSIONS mentality of D3 but my hope is that they can tighten up the style they've got there. It's gotten markedly better over the course of the alpha, so it's still possible, but right now I'd say it's a toss up whether it gets there.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Far Cry 4 Brotherhood impressions:

Ffffffffffffffucking eagles.

loving eagles actually pick up pigs and drop them.

Civilian drivers break for you (good thing, as a head on collusion is a one-hit kill) but don't bother doing so for rebels who are celebrating killing an eagle in the middle of the road. The ragdoll flew all the way across a river.

For some reason, waypoints you set on the map disappear when you get near them. Can't find the exact location of a hidden chest / propaganda poster? Hope you like resetting it every few seconds.

This being a Ubisoft game, you have to climb towers to unlock map icons. But this time you get a helicopter thing, so that shouldn't be a problem, right? WRONG. The roofs of the towers are coated with forcefields that repel AJ to his death.

I know everyone hated the Dudesky McBro from Far Cry 3, but AJ has had his personality surgically removed, and that's far worse.

Having a lot of fun thus far.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Unless they patched it to prevent it, you can land the gyrocopter in most tower tops, it just takes a little finesse and maybe a bit of jank physics ramming.

Also it trivializes the entire game so you might not want to do it too much, but the M79 grenade launcher is usable from the gyrocopter. :kheldragar:

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 21, 2017

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Total War Arena actually scratched the Myth itch a little bit for me. Not enough to play more than a couple hours though

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Orv posted:

Unless they patched it to prevent it, you can land the gyrocopter in most tower tops, it just takes a little finesse and maybe a bit of jank physics ramming.

I tried three times, got thrown off the tower each time. Jumped out above the tower the last time, still no luck.

Edit - anyone feels like co-oping? X4nder77 on Uplay.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 21, 2017

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Xander77 posted:

Ffffffffffffffucking eagles.

Cliff Racer: Evolved

Orv posted:

Also it trivializes the entire game so you might not want to do it too much, but the M79 grenade launcher is usable from the gyrocopter. :kheldragar:

What he means is that this is the only way to play the game. What's that? Pagan Min sent out another Death Squad Convoy thing? Hold my beer *picks up M79*

Also the gyrocopter is the only thing that doesn't play the loving radio, so just make it your only mode of transport.

DJ Atomika, I totally forgive you.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 21, 2017

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 is getting delayed until next week. There was some issue with their Chinese language support so they'll have to resubmit the game.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
We just got our coupons though so yay. I read somewhere that it 10% per CMS title but maybe not. All good.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
chrono.gg has Bastard Bonds at 4.50. Worth it?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

idr what I actually said but it was something like "can't wait for it to get delayed again"

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Nohman posted:

Old Doom was a mess of getting lost in lovely identical corridors because you missed some blue key behind a monster closet past some acid pit you didn't notice humping walls across the map. Doom 2016 doesn't have amazing level design but take the nostalgia goggles off if you think Doom past Episode 1 had anything approaching good level design. Let's not even talk about the shitshow that was Doom 2.

Im sorry, but never got very lost in any of the orignal DooMs. The only thing enemies could do in the original games was walk towards you and attack, so they had to use the maps to create tense situations and fights.

What you describe with the wallhumping, backtracking, and wandering only happens if you are trying to 100% all the secrets.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

idr what I actually said but it was something like "can't wait for it to get delayed again"

It's coming out this time

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

/me waits for the gift train DLC

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Palpek posted:

I recall Temple of Elemental Evil did this too and you had to go download a separate uninstaller

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mordja posted:

I can't even really point out why it was so unsatisfying, either. Was it just because it was kinda slow and didn't feel dynamic? Was it because the enemies were pretty samey? Was it because I took the class whose flaw was that it moved 10% slower (why would you even consider this in your design!?)?

It's a shame because there was a lot to like about the systems in the Van Helsing games, but it just felt so plodding to go through.

Hollenhammer posted:

I recall Temple of Elemental Evil did this too and you had to go download a separate uninstaller

Pools of Radiance, not ToEE.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Is that ultra dlc for Dead Rising 3 just not available on PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hollenhammer posted:

Incorrect.

• Locked thread