Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Pookah posted:

Ding Ding Ding!

Vegan 'potroast', in all its glory.

I love seitan, eat it all the time and I'm not even vegan (just great nutritional macros). You should never cut it up into huge fuckoff slices like that though that is just asking for trouble. Seitan is bested when cooked as sliced up bite size pieces, preferably with some sort of sauce allowed to turn into a glaze (BBQ sauce and teriyaki are the goto ones here). And I would never pretend it is something that should be photographed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baltdnb
Jul 13, 2004
You smell like bugs

Shnicker posted:

So apparently this is a new thing here in Singapore. Cheese tea.

http://danielfooddiary.com/2017/06/01/liho/

Maybe I should try it but I wouldn't look forward to it

Gong Cha is delicious, def would try that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Why pour the cheese on the burger when you can have it explode all over the place and scald you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-cr9cLJZ3s

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I love the cyst burger!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shnicker posted:

So apparently this is a new thing here in Singapore. Cheese tea.

http://danielfooddiary.com/2017/06/01/liho/

Maybe I should try it but I wouldn't look forward to it

This is what life is going to look like in the US, in two years max.

We have so much loving cheese.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

fizzymercy posted:

Are they Maori? Cause a boil up is a legitimate dish that is 100% AFP. Delicious, but is about as visually attractive as a car crash.

Yes he is, so that explains it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Megabound posted:

Yes he is, so that explains it.

Think of it as a simmered soup or stew with starchy vegetables, potatoes and/or bread that have soaked up the meat broth. Ideally it doesn't have much liquid left beyond enough to over the bread or dumplings in (if you're using them) when they go in last.

It absolutely looks like poo poo but is worth eating.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

More than half a gram of sodium, 350 calories, and more than 14 grams of carbs in each "roll."

Three regular spring rolls prepared the same way would have less salt and fewer carbs and calories :confused:

Did Weight Watchers ever make sense? It always seemed needlessly complicated and not much better for you, if at all.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

More than half a gram of sodium, 350 calories, and more than 14 grams of carbs in each "roll."

Three regular spring rolls prepared the same way would have less salt and fewer carbs and calories :confused:

Did Weight Watchers ever make sense? It always seemed needlessly complicated and not much better for you, if at all.

If nothing else this stuff really makes me wish I could get in a time machine and go to a supermarket in 1960 Wisconsin or whatever, just to see what a wasteland it is. It might be the single biggest piece of culture shock, more so than lack of internet and casual dress and so on.

Aisles and aisles of white bread, tomato paste, corn oil, and "spices" (= salt, pepper)

E: and diced pimento, always with the fuckin diced pimento

ONE TEASPOON :sweatdrop:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Did Weight Watchers ever make sense?
No. It's basically a really lovely exchange diet with extra steps combined with a shitload of marketing.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

RareAcumen posted:

This is what life is going to look like in the US, in two years max.

We have so much loving cheese.

The city I used to live in apparently had a substantial enough Filipino population that, if you looked hard enough in the darkest recesses of the frozen section, even the big chain supermarkets carried cheese flavored ice cream.

Anyone ever try it? I think I might have if the packaging wasn't so AFP. Looking at pics of the homemade deal now, the idea of a queso ice cream might be good. But the stuff at Food Lion was safety yellow, like Cheez-whiz color, and that was def a turn-off. Could also be because they kept it next to the frozen tubs of pig blood.

On the food fad tip, the co-op I work at carries Paleo magazine. I was just flipping thru an issue this morning, and what a load of crap. Yeah, I'm sure our Neanderthal ancestors were whipping up lemon shortbread with a blueberry cream sauce :wtc:

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 16:51 on Jul 21, 2017

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

The city I used to live in apparently had a substantial enough Filipino population that, if you looked hard enough in the darkest recesses of the frozen section, even the big chain supermarkets carried cheese flavored ice cream.

Anyone ever try it? I think I might have if the packaging wasn't so AFP. Looking at pics of the homemade deal now, the idea of a queso ice cream might be good. But the stuff at Food Lion was safety yellow, like Cheez-whiz color, and that was def a turn-off. Could also be because they kept it next to the frozen tubs of pig blood.

Cheese ice cream tastes about like it looks, honestly. I would describe it as tasting like a frozen sweet cream/american cheese frothy sherbet? It has a distinct saltiness to it that's a bit off-putting, but only because it's so familiar as a warm food. I wouldn't eat it again, but I didn't wanna die from it either.

I say this as a person that kinda likes fried tarantulas so take that as you will.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Jul 21, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It works fine. It is probably more complicated than it needs to be, but there is a psychological basis to some people doing better when they have printed goals and math to do. It is not the solution for everyone and it isn't necessarily "healthy" since you could theoretically eat nothing but Cheetos or whatever, but it is a good way for busy and/or intimidated people to begin weight loss and start learning healthier habits like weighing food and checking serving sizes and whatnot.

Anyone with the interest and determination could do just as well, but it's not bad.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Bloop posted:

It works fine. It is probably more complicated than it needs to be, but there is a psychological basis to some people doing better when they have printed goals and math to do. It is not the solution for everyone and it isn't necessarily "healthy" since you could theoretically eat nothing but Cheetos or whatever, but it is a good way for busy and/or intimidated people to begin weight loss and start learning healthier habits like weighing food and checking serving sizes and whatnot.

Anyone with the interest and determination could do just as well, but it's not bad.

These services tend to be traps for many people though, especially ones with their own brand of packaged foods. By eating what the program tells you, it keeps you on the program, because you don't really learn WHY you're eating what you're eating. A majority of people who lose weight on diet programs like that gain it back after they stop the program.

Of course, this isn't set in stone. There are people who it helps, for sure. But you have to remember they are for profit programs, and they want you to stay on them forever.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Well, if it helps, it helps, but I can definitely see the marketing/trap angle. The underlying concept (after doing some reading about how it works) looks good on paper, but I can't help but think that once you've built the habits that help you make good food choices, you don't really need the branding and exclusive Weight WatchersTM products.

It seems like most people who whine that they can't lose weight haven't started with the most obvious and most important step: take a second to read the label.

I was guilty of not reading labels all that much until recently, when health problems forced me to keep close track of my fluid, sodium, sugar, and non-fiber carbohydrate intake. Next time you're at the supermarket, go down the TV dinner/pizza/ready-made heat-and-eat meals aisles and check the labels on some single-serving products. Some of that stuff has more than 125% of your DV of sodium in a single serving. Eating that much salt in a single sitting would wreck my poo poo, but I can't imagine it being good for even someone with no health issues.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah it's terrible for you, but it makes really low quality product TASTE GOOD.

The "secret" to weight loss is cooking your own food and lifting heavy weights. Don't tell anybody :ssh:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah it's terrible for you, but it makes really low quality product TASTE GOOD.

The "secret" to weight loss is cooking your own food and lifting heavy weights. Don't tell anybody :ssh:

this doesnt always work, its just makes the weight morph into something firmer in differing places on some folks though. Metabolism has a good bit to do with it as well

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

sneakyfrog posted:

this doesnt always work, its just makes the weight morph into something firmer in differing places on some folks though. Metabolism has a good bit to do with it as well

True, but turning the weight into muscle is fine. What's better, losing 30 pounds and looking bluh, or losing 5 and looking great?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

True, but turning the weight into muscle is fine. What's better, losing 30 pounds and looking bluh, or losing 5 and looking great?

eh its all about losing weight in targeted areas i suppose, a girl i know eats a regimented diet and exercise plan by nutritionists and experts and pays a ton for it, makes it all herself and weighs her own food, works out 5-6 days a week in a really well rounded weights and cardio programs (none of that crossfit stuff) she can bench like 5 of me and cant get her weight at all to where she wants it. Then you have weird me, who has to do like 3k calories a day just to overblow my metabolism and if im actually working out or something i need way more so i can put a pound on, its kinda different for some folks i think.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You just wait until you hit your thirties

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

angerbeet posted:

You just wait until you hit your thirties

they said that right up into my forties friend.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Losing weight in targeted areas isn't a thing that happens. You can do 1 million crunches and not lose an ounce of belly fat. It comes off where it wants to.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Losing weight in targeted areas isn't a thing that happens. You can do 1 million crunches and not lose an ounce of belly fat. It comes off where it wants to.

yeah thats pretty much what i was saying. genetics is an utter bitch

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hellooooooo pizza rule!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

These old Weight Watchers really loving loved their enriched white bread. Even in their "chili" and "pizza".

Haifisch has a new favorite as of 22:34 on Jul 21, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Would so hard

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

on processed white bread?

ew. friend.

pizza dough?

focaccia?

oh would.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sneakyfrog posted:

ew. friend.

pizza dough?

focaccia?

oh would.

more like pickyfrog

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

sneakyfrog posted:

ew. friend.

pizza dough?

focaccia?

oh would.

Oh, FOCACCIA. WELL LA DEE DAH MR. HIGH SOCIETY

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Randaconda posted:

more like pickyfrog

growing up on processed and frozen poo poo on welfare kinda makes you not want to ever eat that poo poo again unless its like deliberate nostalgia and poo poo i guess :shrug:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sneakyfrog posted:

growing up on processed and frozen poo poo on welfare kinda makes you not want to ever eat that poo poo again unless its like deliberate nostalgia and poo poo i guess :shrug:

I grew up on foodstamps and poo poo, but my mom could cook, thank god.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Randaconda posted:

I grew up on foodstamps and poo poo, but my mom could cook, thank god.

my mother bless her heart could not :smithfrog:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

It appears to be uncooked sausage on a bed of plain white bread and sauerkraut. Even the German in me feels underwhelmed and disappointed.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
enriched white bread haunts my nightmares.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

These services tend to be traps for many people though, especially ones with their own brand of packaged foods.

Totally agreed about most but this is where WW specifically is different because you eat whatever and it does get you in the habit of checking labels and weighing and portioning real food.

The main downside is that it largely ignores micronutrients so while it's helpful for weight loss, it is neutral (and therefore potentially harmful by apathy) on positive nutrition.

It's a darn good way for a lot of fats to get started though.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I saw this menu at a hipster bar i went to recently:

Why? Why did anyone think this writing style was a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It got you sharing it.