Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mopp
Oct 29, 2004

Daman posted:

in dns tunneling you'll usually get data via base32 encoding into subdomain requests. it'll look like random characters. does that exist here? would help a lot.

otherwise I'd try the obvious that I can't via a phone. use "042" as an xor otp, or "jml", or the last byte in one of those requests.

you might also consider the dot in responses as immutable, as a separator between a subdomain and a domain. if you know the domain, you could probably derive the xor key using the bytes after the dot. really the most unlikely solution.

No, the client is asking for known sites (for example: google.com) with an appended TXT field containing the data. The server replies with data in the TXT field as well. No trickery being done with subdomain requests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Mopp posted:

the client is asking for known sites (for example: google.com) with an appended TXT field containing the data

I'm pretty sure this isn't how DNS works?

How is the additional data being incorporated into the query and what is its (legitimate) purpose? I've never heard of anything like this

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rufus Ping posted:

How is the additional data being incorporated into the query and what is its (legitimate) purpose? I've never heard of anything like this

Pretty sure you can put anything you want in a TXT field.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

He seemed to be suggesting the query had arbitrary data in it, not just the response. His original post appeared to show data going in both directions too.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rufus Ping posted:

He seemed to be suggesting the query had arbitrary data in it, not just the response. His original post appeared to show data going in both directions too.

Right, that's a common technique in DNS tunneling https://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/dns/detecting-dns-tunneling-34152

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Rufus Ping posted:

You query subdomains of a special DNS server that knows KNXGKYLLPFCE4UZB.mydomain.com isn't an actual request for a subdomain but actually a few bits of encoded data. (Preventing issues from caching, etc is left as an exercise for the reader)

Your server returns responses in the TXT field, or as a CNAME with another encoded domain.

The technique is really slow, but most people trust the DNS infrastructure to not do anything nefarious, and it'll happily route traffic for you even if IP-level stuff is blocked.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks for the replies. I understand how subdomains can be used to smuggle arbitrary data in DNS queries, but Mopp says this is not what he is referring to, and I was wondering what other method there could be because I don't know of any.

Mopp posted:

No, the client is asking for known sites (for example: google.com) with an appended TXT field containing the data. The server replies with data in the TXT field as well. No trickery being done with subdomain requests.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rufus Ping posted:

Thanks for the replies. I understand how subdomains can be used to smuggle arbitrary data in DNS queries, but Mopp says this is not what he is referring to, and I was wondering what other method there could be because I don't know of any.

It is smuggling the data inside the txt record itself you can do it with at least A, AAAA, CNAME, NS, TXT and MX records.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Trabisnikof posted:

It is smuggling the data inside the txt record itself you can do it with at least A, AAAA, CNAME, NS, TXT and MX records.
That's sending data from the server to the client. You don't send a TXT record from the client to the server. How do you send data from the client to the server without that data being an encoded subdomain?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Yeah the client isn't going to be sending the server a TXT field, and if the queries are using common domains I don't even understand how the client and server would be talking to each other (unless the client is sending the DNS packets directly to the server, which seems to negate the biggest advantage of DNS tunneling to begin with).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

wyoak posted:

Yeah the client isn't going to be sending the server a TXT field, and if the queries are using common domains I don't even understand how the client and server would be talking to each other (unless the client is sending the DNS packets directly to the server, which seems to negate the biggest advantage of DNS tunneling to begin with).

A lot of half-assed WiFi hotspot systems allow DNS traffic through across the board rather than just to their own servers before authentication. Same with ICMP.

In those cases you can get away with bastardizing the protocol a lot more rather than actually trying to make something work through real DNS resolvers.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
https://twitter.com/caseyjohnellis/status/887732940095889408

Gotta love when a branded exploit drops right before Defcon.

Introducing: Broadpwn

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

wyoak posted:

All DNS messages have the same format, and there's theoretically nothing to stop a client from appending answer sections with TXT records to its request (except that it doesn't make any sense, of course). Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, this was actually valid under the RFC as an inverse query, although I'm not sure that anyone ever bothered to implement it and it was officially deprecated something like fifteen years ago.

I guess if you control the local client and its local DNS server, it'd be enough for a covert channel that might look kind of like legitimate traffic to somebody who wasn't inspecting too closely.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 22, 2017

Mopp
Oct 29, 2004

The scenario is tunneling from a corporate network using a compromised DNS server and a client. The challenge is decoding the data. I will try to post wireshark dumps tomorrow.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/888941787255107584

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
This is the first time i have ever heard of jake paul but what i could stand to watch of that video reinforces my deeply held prejudice that people with two first names should just be shoveled quietly into a ditch and forgotten

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Meme war"

:jerkbag:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

andrew smash posted:

This is the first time i have ever heard of jake paul but what i could stand to watch of that video reinforces my deeply held prejudice that people with two first names should just be shoveled quietly into a ditch and forgotten

"Jake paulers proved as the strongest army out there in this thread"

Mopp
Oct 29, 2004

Rufus Ping posted:

Space Gopher posted:

All DNS messages have the same format, and there's theoretically nothing to stop a client from appending answer sections with TXT records to its request (except that it doesn't make any sense, of course). Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, this was actually valid under the RFC as an inverse query, although I'm not sure that anyone ever bothered to implement it and it was officially deprecated something like fifteen years ago.

I guess if you control the local client and its local DNS server, it'd be enough for a covert channel that might look kind of like legitimate traffic to somebody who wasn't inspecting too closely.

Alright, I've tried XORing with obvious OTPs but with no success. All Google examples of DNS tunnel CTFs show only base64 encoding, nothing like this.

I've added a screenshot of Wireshark to show the tunneling in more detail.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

maskenfreiheit posted:

https://twitter.com/caseyjohnellis/status/887732940095889408

Gotta love when a branded exploit drops right before Defcon.

Introducing: Broadpwn

I am wondering if BroadPWN will also affect routers that use Broadcom chipsets too.

EDIT: I just checked on the other devices I have - they have different chipsets that are not Broadcom.

EDIT 2 (Electric Boogaloo): The Broadcom chipsets that are vulnerable were mentioned on Forbes as Broadcom BCM4354, 4358 and 4359 chips.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 25, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
If I have to hook up a smart tv to the internet, and I don't have a guest network, is the best thing to do to go wired or wireless where you hand it the login without knowing how it's handled?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Good news, everyone!

(This is officially going to take longer than the death of XP, which is still getting updates through that loving registry hack.)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Double Punctuation posted:

Good news, everyone!

(This is officially going to take longer than the death of XP, which is still getting updates through that loving registry hack.)
I'm getting 500 errors from that link.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm so excited and I'm gonna use this as ammo to get rid of flash right now rather than wait. Also lol we're still on the version of vcenter that uses flash.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

wait what I just spent a million on a flash-only storage gently caress this

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

orange sky posted:

:downsrim:

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

Mopp posted:

Alright, I've tried XORing with obvious OTPs but with no success. All Google examples of DNS tunnel CTFs show only base64 encoding, nothing like this.

I've added a screenshot of Wireshark to show the tunneling in more detail.

oh cool that one looks way closer to some protocol stuck as hex text in that field

0x11 and 0x05 are probably key to understanding the stupid protocol. 0x11 is probably a length, the 0x05 is something else. if 0x11 is a length, then it could be a USHORT so the zero byte before or after it may be a part of it. my guess is the following zero byte is a part of the value, same with 0x05 if they're both little endian USHORT. I'd treat 0x05 as an xor otp or look for five things occurring.

one of the bytes that's zeroed there is probably the packet type or sequence number. probably the first one.

you're likely going to see initiating messages that look like that one, and then messages that follow will probably look very similar to eachother until some entire payload data is transferred. then there will likely be another message similar to the first somewhere.

you probably need to look at the entire big picture like that to understand it and guess at what to use to xor better.

also this is super similar to one of a consulting groups interview questions lol

check if domains reappear and payloads to the same domain look similar

Daman fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 26, 2017

Mopp
Oct 29, 2004

Daman posted:

oh cool that one looks way closer to some protocol stuck as hex text in that field

0x11 and 0x05 are probably key to understanding the stupid protocol. 0x11 is probably a length, the 0x05 is something else. if 0x11 is a length, then it could be a USHORT so the zero byte before or after it may be a part of it. my guess is the following zero byte is a part of the value, same with 0x05 if they're both little endian USHORT. I'd treat 0x05 as an xor otp or look for five things occurring.

one of the bytes that's zeroed there is probably the packet type or sequence number. probably the first one.

you're likely going to see initiating messages that look like that one, and then messages that follow will probably look very similar to eachother until some entire payload data is transferred. then there will likely be another message similar to the first somewhere.

you probably need to look at the entire big picture like that to understand it and guess at what to use to xor better.

also this is super similar to one of a consulting groups interview questions lol

check if domains reappear and payloads to the same domain look similar

I'm not sure that XORing is a method used in this CTF if the password is sent in cleartext. If it is encrypted, then it is more likely to be using a weak method that can be attacked rather than extracting a cleartext password. This is speaking from previous ctfs.

I'll look into if any available tunneling tool is used (not iodine, but maybe dnscat2) and will report back.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

orange sky posted:

Aren't you afraid they make lovely technological decisions if their GUI is in Flash? And you trust them for storage?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Furism posted:

Aren't you afraid they make lovely technological decisions if their GUI is in Flash? And you trust them for storage?

flash storage is solid state desu

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Cup Runneth Over posted:

flash storage is solid state desu

Oh for gently caress sake that joke went straight over my head hasn't it

:smith:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Ahahah

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

In what can only be described as the least shocking turn of events since water was discovered to be wet, AMD/ARM TrustZone turns out to not be much better than Intel ME.

Mopp
Oct 29, 2004

Mopp posted:

I'm not sure that XORing is a method used in this CTF if the password is sent in cleartext. If it is encrypted, then it is more likely to be using a weak method that can be attacked rather than extracting a cleartext password. This is speaking from previous ctfs.

I'll look into if any available tunneling tool is used (not iodine, but maybe dnscat2) and will report back.

OK, I managed to crack the first part and got two flags. It looks like the traffic gets encrypted after this exchange.

code:
S[80]: "4plugin:{
	'seed_key_arg1':1095923727,'
	arch':'x86',
	seed_key:'U\x89\xe5\x83\xec\x bla bla bla',
	'crypt':'U\x89\xe5\x81\x00\x89\x02\x83\xc2\x04\xb8\x00g bla bla bla'}"
C[81]: "plugin{'seed_key_arg2':3459613537, 'seed_key_arg3':2312051101}"
S[82]: 'got it'

Mopp fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 26, 2017

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Mopp posted:

OK, I managed to crack the first part and got two flags. It looks like the traffic gets encrypted after this exchange.

code:
S[80]: "4plugin:{
	'seed_key_arg1':1095923727,'
	arch':'x86',
	seed_key:'U\x89\xe5\x83\xec\x bla bla bla',
	'crypt':'U\x89\xe5\x81\x00\x89\x02\x83\xc2\x04\xb8\x00g bla bla bla'}"
C[81]: "plugin{'seed_key_arg2':3459613537, 'seed_key_arg3':2312051101}"
S[82]: 'got it'

drat this actually looks fun.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

ChubbyThePhat posted:

drat this actually looks fun.

It does. Are there tutorials that teach you these kind of things because I'm reading this with close attention but would have no clue where to begin on stuff like this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msrc/2017/07/26/announcing-the-windows-bounty-program/

MS launched a bug bounty program, $250k USD for a Hyper-V RCE :stare:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
How long until Tavis buys a boat with Microsoft bug bounty money?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think p0 members decline (donate?) bounties. Most professional firms do, IME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Shamelessly stolen from elsewhere