Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I think it is infinitely useful to learn how to do your own guitar work - at the lest setups - but you can use credit cards as fret rockers, don't need a notched straight edge unless you will be leveling the frets and don't need feeler gauges. You can use the string itself to check relief, nut slot height and string height. If you want to get into fret work then yes you will need some tools but for everything else you don't need anything except the knowledge to do it (and experience to do it well, which will not ever come if you bring your guitar to a tech for every little thing). Playing time is important too but a good setup will let you play better and sound better (easier to play, no buzzing, good intonation etc). Taking your guitar to someone to have work done is time away from that instrument too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So I restrung my old ESP LTD MH-301, but I'm having a bit of an issue. It's got one of the old lovely ESP-branded Floyd Rose copies. My issue is that I've managed to get the strings in tune with each other, but the whole thing is off. I'm tuned to C# standard, but all the strings are off by like 1/4 of a step or whatnot. I'm running into the usual Floyd Rose issue where fixing one string causes the others to go out. How can I adjust all 6 strings simultaneously by the same amount? Should I tweak the 2 screws holding the spring plate into the body on the back?

I always try to block the bridge so it's parallel to the body and tune up from there, but the ideal situation (i.e. tuning correctly causes the bridge to stay level and the block/shim drops right out), but this time it's ever-so-slightly off, and when I pull the block out the whole thing goes uniformly out of tune.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Get the guitar all in tune when its blocked, remove the block from the trem and tighten/loosen the screws in tiny increments until its in tune. Tighter to tune up, looser if its sharp. Remember to stretch the strings too before unblocking- pull them away from the fretboard around the twelfth fret, retune, repeat until they stop going out of tune when you stretch them. The G will be the worst and take longest.

Ambient chat: I cant figure out if I'm playing too much or not enough! Doing the room verb-delay-hall verb chain at the end of Amplitube garners some nice sounds though.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

NonzeroCircle posted:

Get the guitar all in tune when its blocked, remove the block from the trem and tighten/loosen the screws in tiny increments until its in tune. Tighter to tune up, looser if its sharp. Remember to stretch the strings too before unblocking- pull them away from the fretboard around the twelfth fret, retune, repeat until they stop going out of tune when you stretch them. The G will be the worst and take longest.

Ambient chat: I cant figure out if I'm playing too much or not enough! Doing the room verb-delay-hall verb chain at the end of Amplitube garners some nice sounds though.

you mean the fine-tune screws or the backplate screws? The fine-tuners don't solve it unfortunately, they knock all the other strings out because it's a pretty big out-of-tune gap. I did stretch the strings and yes, gently caress the G string (the last major issue I had on this guitar was where both the saddle and the graphite block for the G string got hosed up at the same time, so the G string would suddenly slip out a couple millimeters and throw the whole guitar out of whack.

I really hate Floyd Roses TBH but this guitar is both my oldest and my nicest. Someday maybe I'll get it permanently blocked or something. The ESP Floyd Rose copies seem like they're made of low-quality metal or something.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kelp Me! posted:

Should I tweak the 2 screws holding the spring plate into the body on the back?

yep. basically you need to balance the spring tension whenever you change tuning to keep the trem assembly flush with the face of the guitar

here's a really detailed explanation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJIXFFFxf_g

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Muppets On PCP posted:

yep. basically you need to balance the spring tension whenever you change tuning to keep the trem assembly flush with the face of the guitar

here's a really detailed explanation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJIXFFFxf_g

Gotcha, thanks! I knew those screws were the likely solution to "adjusting all 6 strings uniformly" but I'm always terrified of either loosening them too much and having the spring tension rip them out of the wood, stripping it in the process, or overtightening it and just snapping multiple strings simultaneously.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Normally if its more than 25 cents out I'll block and adjust at the headstock rather than the fine tuners- they may have a lot of travel but I personally dont rely on them too much beyond little tweaks when the G is being a twat.

How many springs in there and in what configuration? I normally have them all straight, three at the lowest strings end, a gap, then one at the high end because i like tense trems. My screws are normally well deep in the body with the low end screw a bit looser than the other one to balance it out.

The tension these things hold is very high, I'm (fairly) sure you'd have to gently caress up massively to cause lasting damage.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'll have to check when I get home; I can't remember if I left 2 or 3 springs in there. That guitar is tuned down quite a bit and as a result has pretty heavy strings on it so it's probably 3 springs.

I tried adjusting via the headstock but it's the same issue where I need to tune/detune all the strings the same amount, and it's just not happening. I'm pretty sure I'll get it going by adjusting the spring screws.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Just reread your initial post, my blocks (coins wrapped in sellotape for the large gap, chopsticks for the narrow gap on the spring side) don't come out until I remove them.

Also, are you tuning the guitar in your normal playing position? If you tune it whilst it's laying flat on its back then it'll be out of kilter.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I restring flat but tune up in playing position. One acoustic string snapping and almost taking my eye out is enough for one lifetime :v:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

After The War posted:

Seriously, that is one song that I have trouble stopping once I start playing,
So did they. The average runtime of live versions on the Quine tapes is literally 30 minutes. The longest one is almost 40 minutes.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Pick Chat / Recommendation!

I know that there is the Jazz III [variation] supremacy, but I've settled on using a larger style 3mm Big Stubby ( the nylon version for durability ). I definitely prefer the Big Stubby style now, BUT, for whatever reason lately I'm finding it harder and harder to get a comfortable grip on it. It's like my finger/thumb don't quite match up on the divots anymore and over the course of playing I'm constantly re-adjusting my grip.

I know there are Triangle Big Stubby's, 3mm regular Stubby's etc, but I think I'm kind of leary of Lexan now after the regular Lexan Big Stubby's because they basically melt in a few weeks ( I can't believe they have the balls to advertise "Lexan for durability".The nylons are on par ( or close ) with the Jazz III Carbon Fiber's so far, but something about them isn't quite the same - they're a little slippery maybe.

So I turn to you - is there something that might be comfortable to use in the 3mm Big Stubby non-Lexan kind of range?

I've been toying with maybe getting one of these "Dragon Heart" sharktooth style picks just because "1000 hours of play time" but $15 for ONE pick is sort of daunting and out of "gently caress it I'll buy a few and see what it's like" kind of price range.

https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Hear...RCCNTXPYNTHCDK0

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 21, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

That much money for something that I swear the couch just gets up and eats overnight is a little crazy

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
$15/pick is very cheap in the overpriced snake oil boutique pick world

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Muppets On PCP posted:

$15/pick is very cheap in the overpriced snake oil boutique pick world

I'm a fan of the steel ones as a novelty. Combine with an acoustic for a slide-guitar sound, it's pretty fun. https://www.amazon.com/LQZ-Stainless-Steel-Guitar-Picks/dp/B00L46JM7Q

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm a fan of the steel ones as a novelty. Combine with an acoustic for a slide-guitar sound, it's pretty fun. https://www.amazon.com/LQZ-Stainless-Steel-Guitar-Picks/dp/B00L46JM7Q

Talk about versatility!

"It Also Can be Used as Pry Opener for Cell Phone" :wth:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

SubG posted:

So did they. The average runtime of live versions on the Quine tapes is literally 30 minutes. The longest one is almost 40 minutes.

Yep, thems the ones. The Maestro Fuzz Tone (I'm pretty sure) that kicks off just before the 11:00 mark is my holy-grail, well... fuzz tone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61KsctdIX3U&t=650s

TollTheHounds posted:

Talk about versatility!

"It Also Can be Used as Pry Opener for Cell Phone" :wth:

As well as for getting your Albini on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXV6EmSBULY

EDIT - From the same album, because everyone should hear it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCeipaA8KCg

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Ummm guys.
Remember the Fender MIM Deluxe that I wanted to buy? Well. I didn't buy it. I bought something else.

I bought a 2017 USA Fender Elite Stratocaster with a Rosewood fingerboard and S/S/S pickups. This guitar was sold by an online retailer and the buyer returned it. I don't know why.
I've done about a 75% visual inspection of it, and cannot find any blemishes at all. It appears to be factory-perfect in terms of finish. The back of the neck feels fantastic, it's just the kind of satin that I like. I know that from moving it around. I haven't put note-one on it yet. I had to set up the amp and pedals because as much as I love my Yamaha THR-10, this guitar has to be tested through my Blues Jr.

Not looking forward to the stock setup with ".009s at standard pitch on it (yuck) but this weekend, if it passes this testing, I'll put my favorite string set on it (DR Tite-fit JH-10s in Eb) and do a full setup on it. That's when I'll decide if I'm going to take all the plastic/stickers off and keep it, or initiate a return and start looking for another guitar.

Knowing me, if I keep it, it'll eventually lose the whole S1-switching + V4 Noiseless pickups and get new pickups/pots/caps but if it's fun to play as-is then I'm not going to be in a hurry.

So, I got it today and have taken a lot of pictures that, frankly, don't do it justice. I've learned it's difficult to get a point&shoot camera to capture a 3-tone burst finish (had the same problems with the Tele and the Talman, especially because the flash is lovely on the camera and it causes all sorts of issues in trying to finish the picture in software) but here are some pictures for you.

First look inside the case:

The camera either under- or over- displays this, depending on what my photo-editing software likes to adjust, but the rosewood neck is loving gorgeous. It has streaks of light/dark that go all the way up the neck, and the rosewood is a really tight grain (unlike my JEM70V which has a really open grain on the fret-board) :swoon:

Fender's locking tuners:

The pictures are very different depending on whether my camera decided to flash. This is no-flash and it doesn't really show the body that well but wtf:

The back (this one had the flash so it's over-saturated, and it really brings out the seam in the body, which isn't so pronounced in normal light):

I took the Blues Jr. out of the "recording isolation closet" and plugged everything up for an initial play-test:

One last pic in a different light, no flash:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
You should keep that sticker on it.

Like people do on the brims of their snap backs.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Expensive pick real talk - Red Chip picks are the best because the space plastic they use doesn't let the puck come out of your grip or rotate in your fingers even though it doesn't have holes or textures or any other gimmicks. You just have to have a place to keep it so you don't lose your 35-75 dollar pick (depending on thickness - the 35 dollar ones are plenty thick and I got mine at 1.5mm) - I got one of those dumb pick holders with adhesive that I tell students to never put on their guitars and stuck it to my desk and that is where it lives unless I am out at a gig or teaching. I lose poo poo all the time but have had this pick for a very long time - turns out that when I actually try I can not lose things by being organized.

Anyway, Red Chip supremacy.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Yikes, I thought I was paying too much for Max Grip stiffo Jazz III picks... You people are crazy. More power to ya!

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I play with steel picks on electric or bass and I love em for special effect. Acoustic is just Dunlop 88s generally.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

There are picks other than Jazz III XL?! I'll be damned.

X-posting from new gear thread, picked up this one as a trade for an amp I ended up not using much. The strings were crusty as gently caress and the fretboard a bit gunky, so spent some time switching it to 10s (was setup for 9s), setting up the Floyd Rose, cleaned the fretboard with lemon oil and now it's playing great. Also managed to get some decent sounds out of the Line 6 HD Pod Pro X finally so pleased about that. The Ola Englund "handjob" patch was a good base to work with.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm back to the max grip carbons. I can't escape them apparently.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Clayton Bigsby posted:

There are picks other than Jazz III XL?! I'll be damned.

X-posting from new gear thread, picked up this one as a trade for an amp I ended up not using much. The strings were crusty as gently caress and the fretboard a bit gunky, so spent some time switching it to 10s (was setup for 9s), setting up the Floyd Rose, cleaned the fretboard with lemon oil and now it's playing great. Also managed to get some decent sounds out of the Line 6 HD Pod Pro X finally so pleased about that. The Ola Englund "handjob" patch was a good base to work with.

drat that is a very nice-looking guitar. What is it?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Kelp Me! posted:

drat that is a very nice-looking guitar. What is it?

Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR, from the first production year (2006). Pretty much the same as the current ones except lacks the coil split options.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I just bought a Dragon's Heart pick because I'm a sucker for premium cool looking stuff. But also I'm trying to get better/faster at my tremolo picking and this thing definitely helps.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Speaking of picks... what's a good thickness for newer players? I don't know how thick credit cards are, but using a pick punch and sanding down the edges to a nice bevel has worked out all right, but I'd still kind of like something just a little thinner. If that's a bad idea, please let me know. I find myself catching on strings at times and I'm sure most of it is me just being bad, but I'd like to rule out other factors as well.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

Ummm guys.
Remember the Fender MIM Deluxe that I wanted to buy? Well. I didn't buy it. I bought something else.

I bought a 2017 USA Fender Elite Stratocaster with a Rosewood fingerboard and S/S/S pickups. This guitar was sold by an online retailer and the buyer returned it. I don't know why.
I've done about a 75% visual inspection of it, and cannot find any blemishes at all. It appears to be factory-perfect in terms of finish. The back of the neck feels fantastic, it's just the kind of satin that I like. I know that from moving it around. I haven't put note-one on it yet. I had to set up the amp and pedals because as much as I love my Yamaha THR-10, this guitar has to be tested through my Blues Jr.

Not looking forward to the stock setup with ".009s at standard pitch on it (yuck) but this weekend, if it passes this testing, I'll put my favorite string set on it (DR Tite-fit JH-10s in Eb) and do a full setup on it. That's when I'll decide if I'm going to take all the plastic/stickers off and keep it, or initiate a return and start looking for another guitar.

Knowing me, if I keep it, it'll eventually lose the whole S1-switching + V4 Noiseless pickups and get new pickups/pots/caps but if it's fun to play as-is then I'm not going to be in a hurry.

So, I got it today and have taken a lot of pictures that, frankly, don't do it justice. I've learned it's difficult to get a point&shoot camera to capture a 3-tone burst finish (had the same problems with the Tele and the Talman, especially because the flash is lovely on the camera and it causes all sorts of issues in trying to finish the picture in software) but here are some pictures for you.

First look inside the case:

The camera either under- or over- displays this, depending on what my photo-editing software likes to adjust, but the rosewood neck is loving gorgeous. It has streaks of light/dark that go all the way up the neck, and the rosewood is a really tight grain (unlike my JEM70V which has a really open grain on the fret-board) :swoon:

Fender's locking tuners:

The pictures are very different depending on whether my camera decided to flash. This is no-flash and it doesn't really show the body that well but wtf:

The back (this one had the flash so it's over-saturated, and it really brings out the seam in the body, which isn't so pronounced in normal light):

I took the Blues Jr. out of the "recording isolation closet" and plugged everything up for an initial play-test:

One last pic in a different light, no flash:

drat boy don't change a thing.

edit: two TCs, Fulltone wah, modded Blues Jr. and a MIA Strat. Play the balls off that setup bro. It's killer.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

nickhimself posted:

Speaking of picks... what's a good thickness for newer players? I don't know how thick credit cards are, but using a pick punch and sanding down the edges to a nice bevel has worked out all right, but I'd still kind of like something just a little thinner. If that's a bad idea, please let me know. I find myself catching on strings at times and I'm sure most of it is me just being bad, but I'd like to rule out other factors as well.

Everyone I know started out with a 0.60mm pick, be it the nylon or the tortex

https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-44P-6...+nylon+standard

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Newb music theory question. Are dominant 7 chords still in the same key as their respective major version even though they might include a note that isn't in that key? Example, A D and E chords are all in the key of A major (all three notes in each chord are included in the A major scale), but apparently (from what I'm reading about blues progressions), A7 D7 and E7 chords are also in the key of A major, even though D7 includes the note C and A7 includes the note G, which are NOT a part of the A major scale. Is this a bending of the rule, or am I just not understanding the rule?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Blues gets real funny about what is and is not in the key. I generally only use the dom7 chord if I want to lead to the relative 4th - either go there and have it resolve or make everyone expect it to go there so it sounds unresolved when I do anything else.

Blues you can kind of mix in whatever you want, including jumping between the parallel major and minor kind of whenever. Example: the verses in Sympathy For The Devil go Emaj, Dmaj, Amaj, Emaj. The solo, which is played over that, is E pentatonic minor. Effectively you're paying the chords from E minor, but all with major thirds in the rhythm. When I'm playing the chords, I like to throw in the G note for a little accent from time to time, it gets real nasty over the Emaj chords.

The other main note you find in blues is the diminished 5. When you play around with the major and minor 3 in there, you have chromatic movement from B all the way down to F#.

edit: a big part of music is understanding the rules but knowing why you would want to break them. Playing in key is never a requirement and going out of key isn't wrong, but if you don't know why you're throwing in x chord or y note it will probably sound incomprehensible and meaningless.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 21, 2017

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm back to the max grip carbons. I can't escape them apparently.
But what shape?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

After The War posted:

VU with The Maestro Fuzz Tone

Atomizer, the single best album of all time.

Wait, Maestro, not percolator?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

drat boy don't change a thing.

edit: two TCs, Fulltone wah, modded Blues Jr. and a MIA Strat. Play the balls off that setup bro. It's killer.
Thanks, Bhabhi.
Update: Did a thorough play-test. The drat guitar is fantastic. Fit, finish, tones, everything. I took those .009's off and strung it up with my DR Tite-Fit JH-10s (.010-.056) and of course had to work on the setup a little. The truss rod didn't need adjusting, but the trem-bridge naturally did.

I am going to pay a lot of money for this guitar, but after 28 years of wishing I had a dream Strat, I now have my dream Strat. O, I'll probably change out the pickups later, but for now I just want to play the gently caress out of it.

It's a tad on the heavy side, but that doesn't bother me. I can't get over the ergonomic details Fender put into this guitar. The neck is astounding, the trem is smooth but has some mass, the upper fret access is great. Love the tuners. And that finish. My God. That fretboard. Holy wow.

I now have a tri-tone burst trio. They're all wonderful. I called out from work. I'm gonna go sit and play and tweak the action a little, see how low I can get it before it's too low. Then I think I am just gonna Blues myself out until I decide to crank up the gain and Rock.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baron von Eevl posted:

but if you don't know why you're throwing in x chord or y note it will probably sound incomprehensible and meaningless.

or like slayer

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Any good tutorial on bluegrass for intermediate players? I don't need to be shown how to finger chords or my major scales, just sweet licks and how to apply them. Started messing around with that stuff yesterday and it's a blast, now I need a jam buddy.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Blues gets real funny about what is and is not in the key. I generally only use the dom7 chord if I want to lead to the relative 4th - either go there and have it resolve or make everyone expect it to go there so it sounds unresolved when I do anything else.

Blues you can kind of mix in whatever you want, including jumping between the parallel major and minor kind of whenever. Example: the verses in Sympathy For The Devil go Emaj, Dmaj, Amaj, Emaj. The solo, which is played over that, is E pentatonic minor. Effectively you're paying the chords from E minor, but all with major thirds in the rhythm. When I'm playing the chords, I like to throw in the G note for a little accent from time to time, it gets real nasty over the Emaj chords.

The other main note you find in blues is the diminished 5. When you play around with the major and minor 3 in there, you have chromatic movement from B all the way down to F#.

edit: a big part of music is understanding the rules but knowing why you would want to break them. Playing in key is never a requirement and going out of key isn't wrong, but if you don't know why you're throwing in x chord or y note it will probably sound incomprehensible and meaningless.

Perfect. Thanks.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Yeah, I already said incomprehensible and meaningless why you gotta repeat me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Spanish Manlove posted:

Everyone I know started out with a 0.60mm pick, be it the nylon or the tortex

https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-44P-6...+nylon+standard

Nice. Thank you!