Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

For some reason I couldn't get into FF3 even though I really dig the premise and there isn't a single element I could point at that is at fault for this. As far as I can tell that game is well made and delivers the spooks you'd expect. FF2 remains my fav. 1 is good too but there is some subtle jank that makes it tough to replay compared to 2 and 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mindblast posted:

For some reason I couldn't get into FF3 even though I really dig the premise and there isn't a single element I could point at that is at fault for this. As far as I can tell that game is well made and delivers the spooks you'd expect. FF2 remains my fav. 1 is good too but there is some subtle jank that makes it tough to replay compared to 2 and 3.

Honestly what I really loved about ff3 is it explored survivors guilt, and you really don't see that often.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You mean aside from The shop being no safer than the mountain? Also you can kinda infer that going up during the day means they won't get any answers if there's no ghosts.

That's only true much later in the game though. At the beginning, it's not the case - and it's not really implied that it follows them around or something (though honestly I might've just forgotten if it did), they might've been able to just go elsewhere.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 13, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

That's only true much later in the game though. At the beginning, it's not the case - and it's not really implied that it follows them around or something (though honestly I might've just forgotten if it did), they might've been able to just go elsewhere.

They all have reasons for wanting to go to the mountain, and they're all supernatural ones so going in the day gets them nothing. Nevermind that it's made clear later on that various ghosts are influencing at least two of the three to get them up there each night.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Was it "Scratches" that adventure game about the African(?) curse with the big mask? Because that was almost all set during the daytime and that game was foreboding as all hell.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Drunken Baker posted:

Was it "Scratches" that adventure game about the African(?) curse with the big mask? Because that was almost all set during the daytime and that game was foreboding as all hell.

Oh yeah, that's a great game other than how convoluted it can be. You often don't really have all the information you need to figure out the next place to go and the property is pretty big, so it can be hard to determine what goes where and which room holds the next key to continuing. I think there's also certain items that are impossible to get or actions that are impossible to do until you reach a certain point, like looking for a key in a particular vase before you're "supposed" to be looking for one.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh yeah, that's a great game other than how convoluted it can be. You often don't really have all the information you need to figure out the next place to go and the property is pretty big, so it can be hard to determine what goes where and which room holds the next key to continuing. I think there's also certain items that are impossible to get or actions that are impossible to do until you reach a certain point, like looking for a key in a particular vase before you're "supposed" to be looking for one.

Don't forget to call your publisher 30 times a day, as well!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Maybe not horror but the developers of Layers of Fear are coming out with a first person cyberpunk adventure game starring Rutger Hauer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CwD6o5OGSE

This looks terrific. Dunno what the gameplay is, was Layers of Fear fun?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It was walking simulator-ish but I liked it! :shobon:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Basticle posted:

Maybe not horror but the developers of Layers of Fear are coming out with a first person cyberpunk adventure game starring Rutger Hauer

I mentioned it earlier when people brought up layers of fear. This is gonna be like Layers of Fear gameplay wise, which I found really enjoyable and atmospheric. It's a nice approach to horror I think, and I'm looking forward to Observer. The trailer is bomb as hell.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Drunken Baker posted:

I thought that was the game where you were terrorized by a giant flipper baby

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Scratches is neat because there are two separate storylines that are seemingly related but both are mostly a fabrication of your imagination. Mostly. Now that I think about it, Scratches does better what Firewatch was trying to do. I wish they would remaster it with some hotspot highlighting and full 3D because it's a great game just obtuse as hell.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

Scratches is neat because there are two separate storylines that are seemingly related but both are mostly a fabrication of your imagination. Mostly. Now that I think about it, Scratches does better what Firewatch was trying to do. I wish they would remaster it with some hotspot highlighting and full 3D because it's a great game just obtuse as hell.

Unfortunately it's having some big copyright trouble and the developers went under. The game was taken off Steam, so the only way to acquire it now is pirating or buying an old copy on eBay.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Basticle posted:

...was Layers of Fear fun?

LoF was a funfair haunted house.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
Scratches had the potential to be a good game, but for me it wasted it by relying too much on the whole 'wander around prodding things till you trigger a state change elsewhere' approach. I don't like using walkthroughs if i can help it, but there were just too many cases where interacting with some random object opened up other interactions for no apparent reason.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if nothing else there's a decent screenshot lp of it on the archive

https://lparchive.org/Scratches-Directors-Cut/

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Basticle posted:

I mean it actually has talent at least in the sense of hiring on Hauer, but who knows if the game play actually matches the trailer. At least it is actually trying to do something with the idea of picking minds clean that Remember Me never really did anything with. But then again, what exactly are you trying to accomplish here other than letting Rutger just have some fun being in a Blade Runner setting again? Are you trying to figure out a certain missing person's case or what?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
So, I'm looking for titles that my dinky Lenovo Yoga 710 can run while I'm bored at work. On overnights. In a dark, empty office building. In which I am the only living thing, save the occasional mosquito that tries to sneak in during cigarette breaks.

Most high-octane thing that it can run is Fallout: New Vegas on Medium (at which point it chugs a little), if that gives a good idea of what its limitations are.

My preference is for older/pixel/etc titles, though. I've trawled the thread (and especially Too Shy Guy's recs, out of which I've gotten a lot of mileage, so kudos to him for that), and would like to petition you guys to give me some more recommendations for older, or at least lower-impact titles that you've enjoyed.

Last Door seasons 1 and 2 were the last ones I picked up and thoroughly enjoyed. Cat Lady, DISTRAINT, CAPSULE, Uncanny Valley, and a couple others I've already picked up thanks to this thread. Downfall, also, but I don't know if that got much mention aside from 'by the same guy who did Cat Lady.' Ones I had before and have played to death are 7th Guest (not long after release, no less), 11th Hour (barf), Sanitarium (his name is not meat), I Have No Mouth, and a couple titles I'm probably forgetting.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
~* Anatomy *~

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

I am not sure how this one slipped my mind, but I should probably be roundly ridiculed for forgetting it. Quickly became one of my all-time favorite games.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

The Chzo Mythos by Yahtzee? Really nice pixel art style

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The Chzo Mythos is fascinating because the third game is fantastic, the fourth game is pretty drat good with a few "uhhhh" parts, but the second one

holy moley the second one

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Danaru posted:

The Chzo Mythos is fascinating because the third game is fantastic, the fourth game is pretty drat good with a few "uhhhh" parts, but the second one

holy moley the second one

Second one is the spaceship one, right?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Johnny Joestar posted:

if nothing else there's a decent screenshot lp of it on the archive

https://lparchive.org/Scratches-Directors-Cut/

Yeah, full discolsure, I never actually played it. Just read this. So I was saved the obtuse logic puzzles and just got the pure story and it was great. And I bought into it as well, hook line and sinker.

exploded mummy posted:

I thought that was the game where you were terrorized by a giant flipper baby

I *think* there's two games called Scratches. Unless you mean the person under the stairs who kinda just pops out and goes BOO! At the end.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Layers of Fear: https://youtu.be/B0fm2lRrEg0

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Am I missing something about Scorn? I can't find anything new about it other than artwork on the website that I think has been there for a while. No real announcements or new trailer or anything. Apparently it's the cool new game to hate on though because eeeh the art direction is inspired by preexisting artwork eeeeh it's not actually a horror game but we kind of already knew that that since it was announced eeeh. Also if you see that trailer and legitimately think "standard FPS" you are loving brain-dead.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Agony is the one people actually hate, because it's just EDGY HELLSCAPE x1000 and seems like it's gonna become really boring when you're constantly overloaded that much.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Old Boot posted:

So, I'm looking for titles that my dinky Lenovo Yoga 710 can run while I'm bored at work. On overnights. In a dark, empty office building. In which I am the only living thing, save the occasional mosquito that tries to sneak in during cigarette breaks.

Most high-octane thing that it can run is Fallout: New Vegas on Medium (at which point it chugs a little), if that gives a good idea of what its limitations are.

My preference is for older/pixel/etc titles, though. I've trawled the thread (and especially Too Shy Guy's recs, out of which I've gotten a lot of mileage, so kudos to him for that), and would like to petition you guys to give me some more recommendations for older, or at least lower-impact titles that you've enjoyed.

Last Door seasons 1 and 2 were the last ones I picked up and thoroughly enjoyed. Cat Lady, DISTRAINT, CAPSULE, Uncanny Valley, and a couple others I've already picked up thanks to this thread. Downfall, also, but I don't know if that got much mention aside from 'by the same guy who did Cat Lady.' Ones I had before and have played to death are 7th Guest (not long after release, no less), 11th Hour (barf), Sanitarium (his name is not meat), I Have No Mouth, and a couple titles I'm probably forgetting.
Though it's still only a demo at the moment, you could give a try to Return of the Obra Dinn, which is a low-fi murder mystery on a boat that's made by the guy who did Papers, Please.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 21, 2017

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Yardbomb posted:

Agony is the one people actually hate, because it's just EDGY HELLSCAPE x1000 and seems like it's gonna become really boring when you're constantly overloaded that much.

There was just most of a page of people circle-jerking about how "cliche" Scorn is and how it's going to be disappointing and bad. I read that and thought there was some really crap new trailer or interview or something, yet I can't find a drat thing except 2 screenshots from May on the Scorn facebook page, so how these discussions are going is loving beyond me.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 21, 2017

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Old Boot posted:

Have you already played Lone Survivor? Also Sunless Sea has problems but is fun horror-ish adventure.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The Evil Within expansions are really cheap on the PS Store, does anyone know if you need the full game to run them?

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Marmaduke! posted:

The Evil Within expansions are really cheap on the PS Store, does anyone know if you need the full game to run them?
The Assignment 1&2 + the Executioner DLC? On PC at least they launch from the main game menu, so I can't imagine they'd run without the base game.

Even if they did, Executioner is the only one that makes any sense at all if one hasn't played the base game.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Safari Disco Lion posted:

There was just most of a page of people circle-jerking about how "cliche" Scorn is and how it's going to be disappointing and bad. I read that and thought there was some really crap new trailer or interview or something, yet I can't find a drat thing except 2 screenshots from May on the Scorn facebook page, so how these discussions are going is loving beyond me.

In my case it's because I don't want it to end up like Agony, so I'm a little worried that it'll be a one-note edgefest too. Here's hoping it's not though, I love the Giger / Beksinski influence.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Lacklustre Hero posted:

The Chzo Mythos by Yahtzee? Really nice pixel art style

I may have mainlined the SSLP for this (and briefly watched Yahtzee's own LP series). Is it still worth playing to get the ~experience~?

discworld is all I read posted:

Though it's still only a demo at the moment, you could give a try to Return of the Obra Dinn, which is a low-fi murder mystery on a boat that's made by the guy who did Papers, Please.

Ooo! Thanks. And thanks for reminding me that I'd been meaning to pick up Papers, Please.

Skyscraper posted:

Have you already played Lone Survivor? Also Sunless Sea has problems but is fun horror-ish adventure.

I played Lone Survivor a little while after it came out, and thoroughly enjoyed it (even if, after someone pointed out that the protag looked like he was constantly making the :D face, I couldn't unsee it). I'll give Sunless Sea a look.

Many thanks for the recs.

I'd been told to give this a shot more than once, so I guess it's about time I finally knuckled down and did it. Especially if my machine can actually handle it. (if not, my tower can).

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I wasn't seeing 'it's gonna be so cliche' commentary so much as the concern that total immersion into that kind of environment may deaden the impact of what is, for video games, anyway, a highly unique and engaging design (owing to Giger, et al). Basically, that - as with Agony, which is more edgelord than inspired - it'll normalize after the first few locations, and turn into 'eh, seen it.' The designers have made it difficult to up the ante. While I share this concern to a certain extent, I'm still interested to see what they do with the game overall (if, indeed, anything is being done with it).

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 21, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Restraint seems to be the hardest thing to writing horror. Watching Outlast 2 my initial impression was "this game looks pretty good why are people complaining?" but by the time you reach the scalded it becomes tiresome almost immediately. You are constantly in danger, the game is always one-upping itself with dead babies and rape-everything villain, and the Catholic school transitions are neat but could've been cut in half and still got the point across. Give the player a drat breath.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Has there been any game that sort of takes the Martin approach to vampires or any sort of mysticism of a monster and presented something that just doesn't have any magic or horror romance towards their actual activities and execution? Like they still do horrific things, but in incredibly mundane ways to the point where there's this depressed kind of skeptical reality to the motions of hunters, creatures of the night and the whole thing that should be more fantastic than what you're stuck with.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Has there been any game that sort of takes the Martin approach to vampires or any sort of mysticism of a monster and presented something that just doesn't have any magic or horror romance towards their actual activities and execution? Like they still do horrific things, but in incredibly mundane ways to the point where there's this depressed kind of skeptical reality to the motions of hunters, creatures of the night and the whole thing that should be more fantastic than what you're stuck with.

Not really what you're looking for because it's in a magic-heavy setting, but The Secret World had lycanthropy as a disease mostly wiped out much in the same way as polio and smallpox, with the vaccines secretly administered as routine childhood vaccinations like hep c. Vampires had the weakness to sunlight, but wore full body suits and gas masks that had long needles attached that were used to feed, giving them a mosquito aesthetic. I don't recall ever seeing any of the vampire characters feeding in any way other than the needles.

That's sadly all I can really think of that's even remotely close.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Or is it Sputnik posted:

The Assignment 1&2 + the Executioner DLC? On PC at least they launch from the main game menu, so I can't imagine they'd run without the base game.

Even if they did, Executioner is the only one that makes any sense at all if one hasn't played the base game.

Cheers, that makes sense. Guess I'll have to figure out where I left the disc!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm about 2 hours through Get Even and it feels like I'm roughly halfway through the game. It's only $30, so I don't feel like I've been robbed or anything.

It's actually a really cool, solid horror/thriller FPS. The premise is that you're running around an asylum wearing a headset that allows you to relive your old memories, and your mysterious benefactor/puppet master is forcing you to go through your time as a contract killer to learn something. The gameplay goes between the asylum (where the patients, all wearing the same headset, have broken out and are stalking you through the halls and cells) and the memories that you enter.

It has a lot of neat gameplay elements. Your phone has apps like a map, a scanner that can seek out and scan evidence to try and build connections in the various cases you enter, a UV flashlight, and thermal vision that's used for solving some puzzles. Your main weapon is the CornerShot, which you can attach different guns to (and all of them are really well modeled and include details like clicking the safety on and off your USP when holstering and drawing). This is really important because the game comes in only two difficulty levels, and the combat in the harder one gets brutal.

The best thing I can compare it to is a cross between FEAR and Condemned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I'm an hour or two into Until Dawn (still one of this month's free PSN games) and it's still setting up the actual horror part of the game. I'm enjoying it so far, because it feels like a classic slasher film set up complete with establishing exactly how horny each of these teens is. The facial animation is real deep in the uncanny valley though. Peter Stormare's weird facial tics look even weirder un CGI, and I really want him to stop pursing his lips.