Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I looked at Alcast's stam bow/bow build and compared it to where I was. First off - how usual is it to have a couple of magicka skills slotted in a stamina build? I use soul trap every now and then, and threw a point into magicka on my first level before I got any stamina morphs, but Alcast has two magicka skills: Shimmering Sheild and Green Lotus. He mentions the nature's gift passive returns magicka, but that seems to only cover a tenth of the cost. Or wait, does it proc every time green lotus does? On any light or heavy attack? Because... because actually that's pretty loving nasty then. Anyway, is throwing a couple of magicka skills on a stam build a normal thing? Or the other way around, I guess?

Secondly, there are two skills I'm curious about: Caltrops and Trap Beast. Trap Beast I see the obvious advantage of, but I guess I was wondering how easy it is to use? I find delayed skills tough to gauge at times, I miss with subterranean assault all too often, or hit only one target when I was aiming for three. He's using the ranged morph, btw, Light Beast Trap. For Caltrops, I've seen it in a lot of bow builds. I guess it's a good escape button? My other questions here are: what's a good way to grind up those skill trees (Fighter's Guild and Assault, respectively)? I've literally never PVPed in this game and don't have the slightest idea how long it would take to get to rank 6. Any good tips for quickly advancing either of those trees? I've done the initial fighter's guild quest but got butthurt when it didn't give me a skill point (my first guilds were Thieves and Dark Brotherhood, so I got used to most missions handing me a SP afterwards.)

I'd appreciate any insight into these questions. The idea that Dive would proc Bond With Nature was something I never considered and when I was set straight in this thread it totally changed how I played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Digital Osmosis posted:

I looked at Alcast's stam bow/bow build and compared it to where I was. First off - how usual is it to have a couple of magicka skills slotted in a stamina build? I use soul trap every now and then, and threw a point into magicka on my first level before I got any stamina morphs, but Alcast has two magicka skills: Shimmering Sheild and Green Lotus. He mentions the nature's gift passive returns magicka, but that seems to only cover a tenth of the cost. Or wait, does it proc every time green lotus does? On any light or heavy attack? Because... because actually that's pretty loving nasty then. Anyway, is throwing a couple of magicka skills on a stam build a normal thing? Or the other way around, I guess?

Secondly, there are two skills I'm curious about : Caltrops and Trap Beast. Trap Beast I see the obvious advantage of, but I guess I was wondering how easy it is to use? I find delayed skills tough to gauge at times, I miss with subterranean assault all too often, or hit only one target when I was aiming for three. He's using the ranged morph, btw, Light Beast Trap. For Caltrops, I've seen it in a lot of bow builds. I guess it's a good escape button? My other questions here are: what's a good way to grind up those skill trees (Fighter's Guild and Assault, respectively)? I've literally never PVPed in this game and don't have the slightest idea how long it would take to get to rank 6. Any good tips for quickly advancing either of those trees? I've done the initial fighter's guild quest but got butthurt when it didn't give me a skill point (my first guilds were Thieves and Dark Brotherhood, so I got used to most missions handing me a SP afterwards.)

I'd appreciate any insight into these questions. The idea that Dive would proc Bond With Nature was something I never considered and when I was set straight in this thread it totally changed how I played.

It's generally useful to have a use for your magicka as a stamina guy, otherwise it's going to waste. It's typically used for buffs. I don't have Warden so I can't comment on that.

If you want Caltrops get in PVP now as there's a 2x AP event happening. It's useful in PVP as an area denial tool and to slow people up, but people use it a lot in PVE due to its relatively long duration and wide area of effect.

Most people use the trap beast not for the actual trapping effect but for the critical damage buff it grants. I personally don't like it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Digital Osmosis posted:

If/when I do get into non-solo stuff, dungeons or maybe PVP... what's my role? I'm a bow/bow stam warden, and it's super fun soloing - combines good damage, range, and an absurd amount of survivability. A lot of that goes away in optimized play with groups, though. Can my build work as DPS in a dungeon? Or should I level with it and then when I'm ready to join the big boys switch to a magicka healer build? How are warden healers, btw?

Sustain is important even in groups. Just queue as DPS for random normal dungeons once you can (I think there's a minimum level like 10 or something, maybe not anymore), preferably jump into goon groups that do it and you'll get a bunch of xp for completing it plus some random gear to fill slots and poo poo.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Digital Osmosis posted:

Secondly, there are two skills I'm curious about : Caltrops and Trap Beast. Trap Beast I see the obvious advantage of, but I guess I was wondering how easy it is to use? I find delayed skills tough to gauge at times, I miss with subterranean assault all too often, or hit only one target when I was aiming for three. He's using the ranged morph, btw, Light Beast Trap. For Caltrops, I've seen it in a lot of bow builds. I guess it's a good escape button? My other questions here are: what's a good way to grind up those skill trees (Fighter's Guild and Assault, respectively)? I've literally never PVPed in this game and don't have the slightest idea how long it would take to get to rank 6. Any good tips for quickly advancing either of those trees? I've done the initial fighter's guild quest but got butthurt when it didn't give me a skill point (my first guilds were Thieves and Dark Brotherhood, so I got used to most missions handing me a SP afterwards.)

It's pretty normal to use some magicka abilities, yes. Some abilities scale with your resource, but others don't scale at all. It's not like you don't have any of your other resource, those magicka abilities might as well be free for a stamina build since they have no impact on your main resource. And yeah, nature's gift should proc every time green lotus procs a heal, since nature's gift restores whatever resource is lowest, and that is going to be stamina most of the time since you are using many more stamina abilities, it should give you a ton of stamina back.

Caltrops and trap beast are for extra DoT layering and the crit buff, they do a lot of damage when added to your rotation. Trap Beast will just be going under a mostly stationary boss most of the time so the delay is a non-issue. For Fighter's Guild you want to kill Daedra, undead, vamps & werewolves, those events where a bunch of Daedra show up out of a portal from Coldharbor are a good way to rack up a lot of kills since you can just port from one to the next within a zone and one always seems to be up. For the Mage's Guild look for the little blue glowy books and read them, here is a mod that puts the locations of these books on your map.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

You guys are awesome, your replies answered every one of my questions. I guess I'll be PVPing some now! And good to know "self sufficient dps" isn't useless - in most games you WANT to build as glass cannony as possible, min-maxing and all that. Again though, ESO seems substantially chiller than many other MMOs. Either than or I've had a run of spectacularly good luck. Like, I've been playing since the fourth and only saw a troll in the pubbie chat ONCE. It's kinda astounding.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Digital Osmosis posted:

You guys are awesome, your replies answered every one of my questions. I guess I'll be PVPing some now! And good to know "self sufficient dps" isn't useless - in most games you WANT to build as glass cannony as possible, min-maxing and all that. Again though, ESO seems substantially chiller than many other MMOs. Either than or I've had a run of spectacularly good luck. Like, I've been playing since the fourth and only saw a troll in the pubbie chat ONCE. It's kinda astounding.

I mean you will be building glass cannon which is why you need some self sustain, all of your points as a stamina dps should be put into stam and all of your enchantments will be stamina and your affix on your jewelry will be stam. At max level, building like this, I have 16khp with food.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ANYONE WANT SOME FREE THRONES?

(don't ban me ZOS, this was on your end)

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Scyantific posted:

Please mail 4999 to @Coldforge, thanks!

(or just 1. That would be fantastic, too. That thing will go perfectly in Mournoth)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
b...blood for the blood god?

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
FOR POSTERITY: "I mean, if you wanna 1vx my forehead, I'll go down that road." -- Over-Lizard FROID, July 22nd, 2017

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

sluggo is mad posted:

FOR POSTERITY: "I mean, if you wanna 1vx my forehead, I'll go down that road." -- Over-Lizard FROID, July 22nd, 2017

Praise unto the Over-Lizard PBUH

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

TBH if you are just doing dungeons or solo content lightweight beast trap is better in my experience - you'll parse better in trials or dummy dps testing with rearming but that's incredibly less important on a smaller scale cause your rotation isn't going to be as on point in smaller stuff.

The crit bonus applies to everyone not just the trapped target too, so it's better for clearing trash cause you can use it to open from range as you're closing in, and most that stuff is dead before rearming you know, rearms.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Looking at playing again. I bought this forever ago and never got very far. Does the DLC ever go on sale? $50 for the Morrowind upgrade and $50 for the other DLC (Canadian dollars)seems pretty steep.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Scy please post house pix with all your swag thrones.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

DrBox posted:

Looking at playing again. I bought this forever ago and never got very far. Does the DLC ever go on sale? $50 for the Morrowind upgrade and $50 for the other DLC (Canadian dollars)seems pretty steep.

Well I don't know what the CA rate is, but the DLC is included in the subscription so you can just pay the monthly fee until you've done it all then cancel if you want. That way you also get some crowns for goodies and an XP boost.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Pug Rodeo posted:

Well I don't know what the CA rate is, but the DLC is included in the subscription so you can just pay the monthly fee until you've done it all then cancel if you want. That way you also get some crowns for goodies and an XP boost.

And the magical crafting bag of holding!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Scyantific posted:

@irmrith wouldn't mind one or two if you're still handing out free thrones, since they're apparently a time limited thing.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

There's like 1000 of em in the goon bank.

Also, one Xivkyn polymorph down, 2 more to go. First Imperial Reward box I bought just now dropped the Augur one.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
This is the best mmo ever. I miss it.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Is there a way to get to Coldharbor before doing the main quest?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Airspace posted:

Is there a way to get to Coldharbor before doing the main quest?

Teleport to another player who's there.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
I fixed my pc and I can finally play! I made a stamina sorc and I am currently inflicting pain on everyone's eyes by wearing an awful metalic gold dye from the shop.

Silly newbie question: I finally managed to get 2 one handed weapons to duel wield, but my skills still only show options for two handed weapon. How do I make it show DW skills so I can level those up? I'm sure it must be something really simple but I can't figure it out.

Oh hey I only had to kill something. Makes sense.

Merope fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 23, 2017

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!
Having finally finished the Morrowind storyline on my main character, I have to say that TESO is a far better 30-hour single-player RPG than either Oblivion or Skyrim. The tone of the final few hours of the quest is great! The antagonist(s) are quite fun and I do like how the NPCs you helped make an appearance in the epilogue. Also those glowy tattoos look great on my Nord Warden.

I don't suppose the mainland quests are nearly as good?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Kryopsis posted:

Having finally finished the Morrowind storyline on my main character, I have to say that TESO is a far better 30-hour single-player RPG than either Oblivion or Skyrim. The tone of the final few hours of the quest is great! The antagonist(s) are quite fun and I do like how the NPCs you helped make an appearance in the epilogue. Also those glowy tattoos look great on my Nord Warden.

Do the Orsinium dlc, if you have it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kryopsis posted:

Some are good, plus ONE TAMRIEL means you can just wander around and do whichever town quests you want. The actual main question is weak though imo

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Each zone has a main plot-line, usually with a recurring villain. It's not great stuff but better than most Bethesda stories and better than the main plot IMO. Like most single player Bethesda games it's good at making you feel like a badass, and I also like that it's not afraid to explore some of the weirder bits of elder scrolls lore - this is a world they've been building for what, like thirty years now? and that gives them a leg up to begin with. The zone plot quests move you around from town to town in the zone, and it's weird and a little "theme park"y. A lot of areas you're questing in literally do have one or two "bring me five bear-asses" quests as side quests, I think this is from before on tamriel, but feel free to ignore those.

edit: I've been doing the zone plots "in order" because they tend to give more XP and three or four of them per zone give you a free skill point after, but a much more authentic TES experience would just be to wander into a town, help them with their problems, and then be like "wonder where those bad guys came from. Well, time to wander in a random direction again!"

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 23, 2017

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Coldforge posted:

Do the Orsinium dlc, if you have it.

Seconding this. Orsinum's main quest and the side quest you will run into while doing it are very solid RPG plot, with only one or two instances of plot railroading.

If you, for some reason, however want to see a really, really badly written quest, you might want to check out Kerbol's Hollow in the North-Eastern corner of Bangkorai.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The daedric quests are generally pretty fun or at least interesting. I still have my crow whistle yo

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

So the base game is on sale for $6.90 right now. Is there a lot of good PvE story content in just the base game itself, or is this a case of most of the best stuff being behind DLC/Xpacs?

I played during the free weekend but didn't have the time or energy to really get much past tutorial island, so I'm not sure how long it takes for things to pick up.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

So the base game is on sale for $6.90 right now. Is there a lot of good PvE story content in just the base game itself, or is this a case of most of the best stuff being behind DLC/Xpacs?

I played during the free weekend but didn't have the time or energy to really get much past tutorial island, so I'm not sure how long it takes for things to pick up.

there's good stuff there, yeah. it's helped by the fact you can just up and abandon most quests if you don't care about them, so you can just do the fun or interesting ones. you can also gently caress off to a different region and do their quests instead.

i like the thieves guild though and that's dlc :(

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Alright sounds good, I looked through the DLC packs and none of them really stood out except Morrowind anyway.

Though I guess buying it from a non-Steam site means I can't activate it on Steam so I'd need a new account entirely, so I guess it's back through tutorial island again for the third time for me :regd09:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Alright sounds good, I looked through the DLC packs and none of them really stood out except Morrowind anyway.

Though I guess buying it from a non-Steam site means I can't activate it on Steam so I'd need a new account entirely, so I guess it's back through tutorial island again for the third time for me :regd09:

you only have to do coldharbour, the beginning daedra area. after that you can just immediately fast travel away from the tutorial islands and never go back

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Help give me direction goons.

Here are my current stats now that I've gotten every slot up to CP160, all but one of them purple.

This is with a blue food buff for Health/Magicka.

I am currently running:
5pc - Seducers
3pc - War Maiden
3pc - Mothers Sorrow

What should my target numbers be for health/magicka, and what should I be working on getting (other than more CP and enough materials to make Julianos)?

I could re-enchant my chest from health to magicka for a 954 point swing if 17.5k health isn't too low.

Thanks.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Is there an addon that allows you to move that window in the bottom-right where the loot/money from sales pop up? It's in an annoying place that ends up in the background of other windows.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Azurah unlocks all/most frames. Sometimes the new positions aren't saving properly but that could be an add-on conflict possibly.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

G-Spot Run posted:

Azurah unlocks all/most frames. Sometimes the new positions aren't saving properly but that could be an add-on conflict possibly.

That did the trick, thanks.

RussianBear
Sep 14, 2003

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds
Can I get a NA invite for drtrashbearphd? I'd also appreciate some advice for a new MMO player. Like many others here I'm also trying to recapture some of that Morrowind magic. So far I've completed the Morrowind main quest and really enjoyed it, but I'm not enjoying the combat. I'm a two handed axe wielding, heavy armor wearing Orc Warden. I just want to bash things in the face alongside my awesome bear friend. What's the best way to use my skill points?

I'm also overwhelmed by the item system. In classic Morrowind I'd just buy a full set of iron armor that's good enough and slowly replace each piece over time. I'm level 10 and I still haven't found a full set of heavy armor. I can't find any vendors that sell armor. Do I need to figure out the crafting system or just keep hoping for enemies drop what I need?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

RussianBear posted:

Can I get a NA invite for drtrashbearphd? I'd also appreciate some advice for a new MMO player. Like many others here I'm also trying to recapture some of that Morrowind magic. So far I've completed the Morrowind main quest and really enjoyed it, but I'm not enjoying the combat. I'm a two handed axe wielding, heavy armor wearing Orc Warden. I just want to bash things in the face alongside my awesome bear friend. What's the best way to use my skill points?

I'm also overwhelmed by the item system. In classic Morrowind I'd just buy a full set of iron armor that's good enough and slowly replace each piece over time. I'm level 10 and I still haven't found a full set of heavy armor. I can't find any vendors that sell armor. Do I need to figure out the crafting system or just keep hoping for enemies drop what I need?

Welcome! is drtrashbearphd your character name or your account name? We need your account name (the one you put into the login screen) to invite you. You will get so many skill points that you can spend points in everything (basically). Level up everything and see what suits you! It's daunting at first but stick with it, someone else might be able to give you better advice specific to warden's but if you want to use a 2-hander, get uppercut and morph to wrecking blow once you can, this will be your main skill, critical charge morph it to critical rush, cleave morphed to brawler (this skill is good when you have a bunch of enemies as it is frontal cleave plus gives you a damage shield based on how many enemies you hit), reverse slash morphed to executioner and momentum morphed to rally. You might not use all of the skills but I would recommend leveling them all because they are good overall. Once you hit 15 you can weapon swap, so you'll have a second bar you can put skills on, best thing to do is put skills you want leveled on that second bar and a weapon skill you want to level, then when you turn in quests you switch to that bar, you use your front bar to kill things so those skills/weapons level from that. I would recommend using bow as your secondary weapon so you have ranged.

Armor isn't going to make or break you at low levels, just wear whatever you find, especially if you find stuff with the training trait (bonus % to exp). Goons can make you gear as well, typically every 10ish levels or so they can drop you a full set of gear with training on it so you can level quicker. I would also recommend wearing at least 1 piece of light, 1 piece of medium and 1 piece of heavy so you can level all the skill lines so you can switch it up later if you want. Feel free to wear 5 heavy 1 medium 1 light or whatever combo you want, but seriously level all of them while you level to make your life easier later on.

I would recommend getting into crafting, I don't have time to effort post it now, maybe someone else can, but it's SUPER easy unlike crafting in every other game.

RussianBear
Sep 14, 2003

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds

MF_James posted:

Welcome! is drtrashbearphd your character name or your account name?

That's my account name. Thanks for the advice! Good to know I can just keep chugging along and having fun without worrying too much about all the MMO stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Can I get and invite to the NA guild?

@shortyeastcoast

I've basically been running around solo with a couple of characters in the low 20's. Still learning a lot.