Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

So...Why did Derek get banned this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Half of last night's xcom squad was captured after being unable to get a door open. Doors! :argh:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

lazorexplosion posted:

Half of last night's xcom squad was captured after being unable to get a door open. Doors! :argh:

OP, please nerf.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheAgent posted:

I've been up all night creating an entire neighborhood for the roberts and smart roomie experiment. traits and looks were assigned randomly to thread crew peeps

I've got:
Chris Roberts, Sandi, Erin Roberts
Ben and Alexis Lesnick
Brian Chambers
Derek Smart
WTFOSaurus

then:
me

then:
the titanic and raslovinikov

then:
the mod squad (beer and beet)

then:
the thread crew 1 (hav, XK, AP, meridian, pgabz, tijuana bib, colostomy bag, zen)

still putting the finishing touches on lazrin, moma, and other thread regulars

just thought I'd update y'all that about something I thought was significant:

Can confirm I look like that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ModernSociety posted:

So...Why did Derek get banned this time?

He's not. :ssh:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lmao. Hopefully Derek can become a full MD.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ebonkitsune. Man, they're literally infested with furries.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Something something stepford wives

That desk. I never really thought about it before but holy poo poo. Holy loving hell look at it. If you want to use that desk for writing, you cant.

All those screws would... screw your ability to actually write. What a lovely desk design.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Today's breaking news: I'm a moron.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Enchanted Hat posted:

You know, the wheel thing and the lack of windows are stupid from a realism perspective, but in a video game you'd just code it so they wouldn't be a problem.

The sale page says that it's meant for cargo transport. How many of those standardised cargo crates that CIG were showing off for 3.0 do you think you could fit in the back of this thing? I'm thinking maybe two. If they want to make a land-based cargo vehicle, why not make it a truck or something? Something that could actually carry a bit of cargo.

They Ryan Archered the wheel design.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 21, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ModernSociety posted:

Today's breaking news: I'm a moron.

:glomp: It's okay. I felt really dumb when I thought Beet was serious about the Tumbril.

Now that we've seen the actual product, I don't know what to feel.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

quote:

After 8 years development, for gold only 5 Systems?

If Star Citizen goes Gold in 2.020 that would be 8 years of development

For the gold, will be only 5 to 10 Systems of the 100 should be? Thats a 10% or less of the promess!!!!

And they now when there are at least 3 years or so for the gold? Stop doing more ships and work more on one of the more important things of the game, Systems to travel and do things.

We have been very patient with the development time, we understand you need time to do a game of this size but:

5 Systems for the gold is unacceptable.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/after-8-years-development-for-gold-only-5-systems

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
More kickstarter thread; Terminally Bored produced;

terminally bored posted:

Hey, remember when Eric "Wingman" Peterson and a group of other people left Star Citizen and then raised $600 on KS for a new game using the Descent name which they somehow bought the rights for (they even named their studio Descendent)? No?

Well, suprise because they posted this little gem on Steam 4 days ago:

----
Descendent Studios posted:
Hello Descenters,

Some of you have asked why we have been far less active these last few months.

In fact, we owe you an update.

We took a long, hard look at the scope of our project and how long it would take us to finish the game we described on Kickstarter. We always intended Descent: Underground to be a starting point to a larger universe. Plus, being huge Descent fans, we knew that some things had to be done right, and to a production level that exceeded expectations.

So, for the last few months, we’ve been digging deep into our own processes and working out ways to finish the game faster and still support a live product with a great community. We discovered that over the course of the project we’d been spending between half and two-thirds of our time on things like tech support, bug fixes, and community outreach. Those kind of delays can be devastating to a small team.

Luckily, we have some pretty cool friends and they’re helping us work through solutions to continue great community outreach while ramping up development.

We invite you to help us test a new community platform called BrightLocker as the first of these solutions!

BrightLocker is the brainchild of some game development veterans who are friends of ours from way back in our Origin Systems days. They asked for our help (and yours) to make sure BrightLocker supports awesome communities for cool games.

Just to be clear- this isn’t about asking you for more money. While BrightLocker does forever crowdfunding and you’ll see rewards offered, that is not our main reason for making the switch. Our goal is to find better ways of communicating with our community without having to develop all the tools ourselves. BrightLocker is building those tools.

We also want to help BrightLocker become a useful resource for those of you looking to start your own game project someday!
----

tl;dr: The game is still in early alpha, there is no single player campaign in sight (they refuse to even mention it in their updates with "info incoming" but only on the SIZE of the SP campaign) and they're launching a "forever crowdfunding platform". Yes, that's a quote.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473379&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1112#post474577740

https://www.brightlocker.com/
Because I'm mental, I start with the terms and conditions. They appear to have cut'n'pasted them and forgot to update references.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 21, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I love Derek's new avatar.

LOL!! I just noticed it. OK, which one of you clowns (or Spergs) did this? :D

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
im sorry you got banned derek

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Combat Theory posted:

With all the shortcomings of our armament contracts here (g36 that loses accuracy after a single mag, eurocopter ordered without a Cannon....facepalm...) I am quite impressed still by the performance of our mechanized hardware, namely our MBTs and IFVs like the Leopard, Marder and Puma.

The G36 only has accuracy issues if you go full auto on the magazine. Which is not the intended use of Assault Rifles. That's why you're supposed to buy the LMG barrel for squad support. Guess what the Bundeswehr didn't buy. The Peschmerga who received it were skeptical at first, but after using them in combat wanted more of them. There isn't a single complaint from Bundeswehr personnel concerning the accuracy of the G36. The whole thing was blown up by dumb journalists. The accuracy did drop in lab tests. IF you did heat up the G36 from one side. Guess what metal does when you heat it like that. It bends.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

LOL!! I just noticed it. OK, which one of you clowns (or Spergs) did this? :D

Gimme $10 and I'll tell you.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

lol

Just noticed that you can't CCU the El Camino into a space ship. Only can do a CCU to another vehicle. Man, I can't wait to see what scumminess they come up with next.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Guess what metal does when you heat it like that. It bends.

Jet fuel can't steal beans.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Colostomy Bag posted:

lol

Just noticed that you can't CCU the El Camino into a space ship. Only can do a CCU to another vehicle. Man, I can't wait to see what scumminess they come up with next.

Gold rims and maintenance plans for their Dune buggy. For real $.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The whole CCU thing still makes absolutely no sense to me. It's been explained a few times in the thread but they may as well have been explaining calculus in vanduul

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

If they spent half the time they did making the game instead of their convoluted whale milking scheme, they might have a game. But probably not as they wouldn't have the money. Catch-22.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Just a reminder that CIG sells store credit at a markup.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

grimcreaper posted:

That desk. I never really thought about it before but holy poo poo. Holy loving hell look at it. If you want to use that desk for writing, you cant.

All those screws would... screw your ability to actually write. What a lovely desk design.

How much you think it is

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

good for you ben, good for you

also I nearly killed sandi by keeping her out in the sun too long, gave her a nice coffin to rest in now. all is well

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SelenicMartian posted:

I love the camera held by a wheezing fat man. But without it you'll see that ship's moving in straight lines.

Well. I find that AI amazing. Imagine, it has to control each muscle individually on each leg and arm to climb those stairs and interact with the ship controls.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

TheAgent posted:

good for you ben, good for you

also I nearly killed sandi by keeping her out in the sun too long, gave her a nice coffin to rest in now. all is well

We need some updates on the Thread Crew. Have we burned down our house yet?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Tank Boy Ken posted:

The G36 only has accuracy issues if you go full auto on the magazine. Which is not the intended use of Assault Rifles. That's why you're supposed to buy the LMG barrel for squad support. Guess what the Bundeswehr didn't buy. The Peschmerga who received it were skeptical at first, but after using them in combat wanted more of them. There isn't a single complaint from Bundeswehr personnel concerning the accuracy of the G36. The whole thing was blown up by dumb journalists. The accuracy did drop in lab tests. IF you did heat up the G36 from one side. Guess what metal does when you heat it like that. It bends.

Thanks a lot, I have been reading into the whole thing for only a bit now, to my understanding it was a problem with the mechanical bedding of the metal components in the composite frame. I am looking forward to a job for the baainbw one day so I'm trying to find as much information about armament systems and their little kinks as possible, but the side of handguns and the like is still very much early steps for me (I come from a vehicle background)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

trucutru posted:

Well. I find that AI amazing. Imagine, it has to control each muscle individually on each leg and arm to climb those stairs and interact with the ship controls.

Has that person played a game in like 20 years???

Operation flashpoint had AI enter vehicles and take off.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Combat Theory posted:

Thanks a lot, I have been reading into the whole thing for only a bit now, to my understanding it was a problem with the mechanical bedding of the metal components in the composite frame. I am looking forward to a job for the baainbw one day so I'm trying to find as much information about armament systems and their little kinks as possible, but the side of handguns and the like is still very much early steps for me (I come from a vehicle background)

Did you develop space jeeps?

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

Hav posted:

More kickstarter thread; Terminally Bored produced;

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473379&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1112#post474577740

https://www.brightlocker.com/
Because I'm mental, I start with the terms and conditions. They appear to have cut'n'pasted them and forgot to update references.

Meanwhile the actual devs behind the original Descent are making Overload, a Descent-style game with a reasonable scope, and the single player campaign is their main priority. I have played both and Overload is legit, Descent: Underground sucks.
https://playoverload.com/

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Combat Theory posted:

Fun story by the way... Tonight a dude got banned from the NDA test group for posting an underwater blowjob picture and angry reacting with the team America theme song after the picture got deleted.

This is disappointing that people in general don't know how to act in a public setting. But it's also sad this is CIGs target demographic. There were points in SCs sordid history where CR was making fully anatomically correct models for characters, etc etc.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I'm always happy to help. You can help me snuggle this live grenade! :)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bumbler posted:

Meanwhile the actual devs behind the original Descent are making Overload, a Descent-style game with a reasonable scope, and the single player campaign is their main priority. I have played both and Overload is legit, Descent: Underground sucks.
https://playoverload.com/

And they're actually released something - http://store.steampowered.com/app/448850/Overload/.

That actually looks quite impressive.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Combat Theory posted:

Yeah, that composite frame would melt when the barrel got hot enough and, as you can imagine, it didn't help.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I'm 13 pages back, at that golden point where Derek is showing as banned, but I don't know what he did yet (and I'm not going to peek).

e: worth the wait

Torquemada fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 21, 2017

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Logic error.

So Autoduel fans; it appears that GW Knock-off, Dark Future (not Battlecars) has an early access project, but I can't tell what the gameplay is from the promotional fluff.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/370870/Dark_Future_Blood_Red_States/

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Torquemada posted:

I'm 13 pages back, at that golden point where Derek is showing as banned, but I don't know what he did yet (and I'm not going to peek).

Don't want to spoil it, it's a rollercoaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mike12345 posted:

Don't want to spoil it, it's a rollercoaster.

Plz spoil