Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
I was in South Korea last week with the future wife, visiting her hometown, Jinhae. The nearby city of Changwon has a huge roundabout, and according to her, in order to cash in on it's minor fame, Jinhae decided to copy it. But smaller. And in doing so, demolished a perfectly good clocktower to make space, rather than incorporate it into the design. So instead of a pretty little clocktower, they now have a very run of the mill roundabout.

I think I may also now be in the midst of a face battle with my future father in law over our pending wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

He was from Africa, or maybe London. I don't know.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

StevoMcQueen posted:

I was in South Korea last week with the future wife, visiting her hometown, Jinhae. The nearby city of Changwon has a huge roundabout, and according to her, in order to cash in on it's minor fame, Jinhae decided to copy it. But smaller. And in doing so, demolished a perfectly good clocktower to make space, rather than incorporate it into the design. So instead of a pretty little clocktower, they now have a very run of the mill roundabout.

I think I may also now be in the midst of a face battle with my future father in law over our pending wedding.

How?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well hes John Travolta and StevoMcQueen is Nicholas Cage and its all very confusing.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I had to do some bullshit middle school stuff for a couple months and one class was obsessed with dicks. They finally broke me down with their demands to know penis words in English so I said okay. I'll tell you two that are also words in Chinese, and informed them that wang and dong both mean penis.

The student in the class named Wang Dong, who I then learned existed, had a real bad day.

A boy in my high school was named Harry Wang, for some reason he always flew under the radar

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Haier has been doing the fake article thing for a while, how have so many people fallen for that last one? He always posts a 404 error people's daily URL, then quotes the article text below

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

The Great Autismo! posted:

me first me first

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I seriously think like 80 percent of Haier is made up bullshit and that he's bored and lonely.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Glenn Quebec posted:

I seriously think like 80 percent of Haier is made up bullshit and that he's bored and lonely.

That's just what a sexpat English teacher would say

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
I do not care about China, but I follow this thread solely for Haier's stories.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

A boy in my high school was named Harry Wang, for some reason he always flew under the radar

One of the Vietnamese kids in my grade was called Phuc. That lasted less than a month before he changed his name. To Richard.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I'm wondering how net censorship and VPN blocking is going to play out in the long term. It seems like the average Chinese citizen doesn't -really- care as long as money is not involved. Even then how many livelihoods are in jeopardy if a working VPN ban is put in place?

It's hard to imagine a scenario a big enough number to cause real pushback against the government.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Sten Freak posted:

I'm wondering how net censorship and VPN blocking is going to play out in the long term. It seems like the average Chinese citizen doesn't -really- care as long as money is not involved. Even then how many livelihoods are in jeopardy if a working VPN ban is put in place?

It's hard to imagine a scenario a big enough number to cause real pushback against the government.
They absolutely do not care, as long as they can get on Wechat/Weibo/Youku and play 王者荣耀 they are happy.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Darkest Auer posted:

That's just what a sexpat English teacher would say

Listen, I'm saving my sexual conquests in Asia for when I'm a disgusting old retiree.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I don't actually think I like China all that much tbf

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
In other China tech news...

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/google-wosign-startcom-certificates-banned,35055.html

quote:

WoSign, StartCom Certificates Won't Work In Chrome 61 And Beyond

Google announced that it has removed all trust in WoSign and StartCom certificates from Chrome and Android, following the discovery that the two certificate authorities misbehaved.
WoSign/StartCom Go Rogue

About a year ago, Mozilla uncovered that a Chinese Certificate Authority (CA) called WoSign had a number of technical and management failures, which included bypassing previous restrictions by browser vendors on distributing SHA-1 certificates.

The browser vendors had previously agreed not to accept SHA-1 certificates that were issued after January 2016. However, WoSign backdated its certificates so it could continue to issue SHA-1 certificates that would still be supported by the browsers (for legacy reasons).

Mozilla also found out that WoSign had secretly acquired a smaller CA, StartCom, which was against its CA policies.

WoSign previously denied both allegations, until Mozilla and others came up with sufficient evidence to show that the allegations were indeed true. The level of deception coming from WoSign was also what prompted Mozilla to plan a progressive removal of WoSign and StartCom’s certificates. Apple and Google followed with a similar plan.

Mozilla started phasing out these certificates in Firefox 51, while Google did the same thing starting with version 56 of Chrome, both of which came out last Fall. Google now seems ready to completely eliminate the support for WoSign and StartCom certificates from its browser.

Google initially whitelisted the top 1 million websites for using the WoSign/StartCom certificates, but it gradually reduced the length of that whitelist over the course of several Chrome releases. Starting with version 61 --we’re now at 59--Google will completely remove support for WoSign and StartCom certificates from Chrome.

This means that websites that are still using these certificates by the time Chrome 61 comes out will appear broken in the browser and won’t load for users of that particular Chrome version (as well as all the other versions coming afterward). Google recommended sites that still use WoSign and StartCom certificates to immediately replace them so as to not risk disruption of service for potentially a large portion of their users.

Over the past couple of years, Google has shown that it’s not willing to compromise the security of its users if some of the CAs misbehave, no matter how large they are. Google has taken some severe measures against both WoSign and Symantec, one of the largest CAs, to ensure that they properly validate their certificates and follow the rules. This may have also led Symantec to consider the sale of its CA business.

The CA rules are important, because without them, the whole HTTPS security ecosystem could collapse. If users can’t trust the HTTPS connections to be secure anymore, then they may not make certain transactions or communications over the internet. Alternatively, they could switch to alternative encryption communications protocols, which may come with their own benefits and compromises.

The decisions to punish CAs by some of the major browser vendors, such as Google and Mozilla, must not have come easy. Banning a CA from the browser could easily turn into a PR battle if thousands of websites' users can't visit anymore because of broken certificates.

Ultimately, it’s still the site operators' responsibility to educate themselves on their certificates' security and ensure that their users’ connections to the site are protected. That includes not using certificates from CAs that don’t follow the rules or replacing them when necessary.

Google has also been promoting (and soon requiring) support for the Certificate Transparency certificate logging and monitoring system, which should make it much easier to identify when a CA is issuing problematic certificates. It should also encourage CAs to behave and to properly audit their own systems to ensure everything works as it should and that bad actors (whether hackers or malicious employees) aren’t abusing their systems to issue forged certificates.

Cha bu duo company management followed by bold faced lies, not only about how they were handling certificates but even lying about the company acquisition. Both of which are easily traceable and provable, but hey, first line of defense is to just deny, deny, deny.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Sounds like my job

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Eh, short version is it started as a friendly "outbuy the other person", and now looks to be devolving into filiel piety shaming after FIL threw his toys out the pram.

Thank you China thread for preparing me for what I imagine is going to be a loving ridiculous debacle.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

angel opportunity posted:

Haier has been doing the fake article thing for a while, how have so many people fallen for that last one? He always posts a 404 error people's daily URL, then quotes the article text below

While it's possible for Haier to make up an article and post it, making fun of the Chinese characteristics of China, it's also possible that the propaganda farm of news agencies in China put that article out in a genuine attempt, but were then informed--only after the fact, mind you--that it was actually a bad article and did the opposite. Nobody was going to say anything beforehand, because it wasn't their problem, but now that public face is involved, people actually have to do their jobs, and thus, the article was pulled with incredible haste.

In this era of alternative facts and truth bending the evidence, my version has the added benefit of Occam's Razor.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Been at it since noon China thread. Good luck with your vpns Haier and other Chinese thread goons. I.hope China doesn't get you.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Glenn Quebec posted:

Been at it since noon China thread. Good luck with your vpns Haier and other Chinese thread goons. I.hope China doesn't get you.

this dude should post in LAN

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
guys he did the fake news article thing a week ago in the same way of course its fake jesus

wanna make a trump joke on short memory

StarMinstrel posted:

Do arrow signs not exist over there?

nobody looks at arrows or signs ever; there are tons of photos showing chinese people standing on or next to markings telling them where to go or stand and not noticing. if you bring it to their attention you are making them lose face and that makes you the rear end in a top hat so you also lose face

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i follow a weibo account that focuses on chinese people not respecting or comprehending defined boundaries and it has tons of stuff like this constantly being uploaded

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/21/news/china-rice-us-trade/index.html

quote:

China will import American rice for the first time after a new trade deal was agreed to Thursday.

"The agreement with China has been in the works for more than a decade and I'm pleased to see it finally come to fruition, especially knowing how greatly it will benefit our growers and industry," said U.S. Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue in a statement.

China produces 20 times more rice than the U.S., but it's also the world's biggest consumer. Recently it has been buying more rice abroad, spending way over $1 billion in some years, to feed its population.

Last year, China imported about 5 million tons, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).

The U.S. alone couldn't satisfy that demand. America exports between 3 million and 4 million tons a year, according to the UN Food and Agriculture Organization.

Related: Why is China buying the world's seeds?

China was once largely able to feed itself, especially with rice. But it's been relying more on imports in recent years, said Rob Bailey, an expert in food security at Chatham House, a policy institute in London.

Rising food imports partly reflect challenges in Chinese agriculture. The rural population is aging, crop yields are low and there are high levels of soil depletion. Pollution and climate change also threaten production.

Bailey said China was being smart in finding new sources of rice because temporary export bans from other Asian countries have caused problems in the past.

"China's probably thinking, 'If we are going to import rice, let's not be too reliant on the Asian market'," he said.

Related: China is crushing the U.S. in renewable energy

The USDA said exports to China can begin once Chinese officials have completed an audit of U.S. rice facilities.

China's Ministry of Agriculture and Ministry of Commerce did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The breakthrough comes two months after the U.S. Commerce Department announced a deal that will allow U.S. beef and natural gas exports to flow into China.

And it comes in the week that top Chinese and U.S. officials met to talk about trade.

Nevertheless, the relationship remains strained. President Trump has called out Beijing for what he considers to be unfair trading practices, and he wants to reduce America's huge trade deficit with China.

This sentiment was echoed by U.S. officials after the Wednesday meetings, with a statement saying there was a "shared objective to reduce the trade deficit" with China.

A Chinese statement that came out later mentioned the deficit, but focused on many more issues that the two sides should cooperate on over the coming year.

Meanwhile, the issue of steel trade continues to be a delicate matter. Trump's administration may soon slap tariffs on Chinese shipments of steel to the U.S.

-- Nanlin Fang and Donna Borak contributed to this report.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

LentThem posted:

i follow a weibo account that focuses on chinese people not respecting or comprehending defined boundaries and it has tons of stuff like this constantly being uploaded

i watched the first video on that account and i'm already :argh:

https://my.mixtape.moe/cuechl.mp4

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The imported rice market is pretty big. Everybody who can afford it buys imported because of the pollution. Thai and Taiwanese rice are both popular.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The man is mad that a child is banging a rock on some utility poles? Is he a utility pole enthusiast?

A thing I like from these videos where someone shames someone else on video is that gesture I keep seeing of pointing that everyone does. I am old and you are young and here comes a finger. I'm pointing at you as I yell. You're the one at fault here buddy. Finger doesn't lie. The tai-chi people who wouldn't move for the people who registered the space for their basketball practice was great for this. 30 people all pointing at the basketball teen.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

The imported rice market is pretty big. Everybody who can afford it buys imported because of the pollution. Thai and Taiwanese rice are both popular.

How can you import Taiwanese rice? :china: :china: :china:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Tweet of same news:
https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/888206946527883264

I bet some people just made a poo poo load off futures

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Also so it's not made out of plastic pellets

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Krinkle posted:

The man is mad that a child is banging a rock on some utility poles? Is he a utility pole enthusiast?

A thing I like from these videos where someone shames someone else on video is that gesture I keep seeing of pointing that everyone does. I am old and you are young and here comes a finger. I'm pointing at you as I yell. You're the one at fault here buddy. Finger doesn't lie. The tai-chi people who wouldn't move for the people who registered the space for their basketball practice was great for this. 30 people all pointing at the basketball teen.

My takeaway is that the poles are painted to be nice and these kids, at the encouragement of the olds, have made all those dents (they are all kid-height). Dents and chips in paint which we know will never be repaired or repainted. He has a sense of civic responsibility that is laudable, especially in China.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Ceciltron posted:

My takeaway is that the poles are painted to be nice and these kids, at the encouragement of the olds, have made all those dents (they are all kid-height). Dents and chips in paint which we know will never be repaired or repainted. He has a sense of civic responsibility that is laudable, especially in China.

I can't get my head around how a parent would think it's a good idea to encourage that kind of behaviour? What's the end goal? What's the short term goal?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Shenzhen update: still good to visit

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Outrail posted:

I can't get my head around how a parent would think it's a good idea to encourage that kind of behaviour? What's the end goal? What's the short term goal?

It's fun to hit things.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was waiting for the one kid to hit the other in the back of the head with that axehead rock, while his father huffed and puffed about that other dude complaining.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pirate Radar posted:

It's fun to hit things.

2001apecatchingthighbone.gif

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
HAIER SATURDAY:

Shenzhen department of beuuareau city sent me a text message saying tomorrow will be big rain due to a typhoon, and to stay away from rivers and the sea. I don't know what they are talking about, but the forecast does say rain, so I was bummed and decided to go and get my movement in today.

I went out and cruised around for 7 hours, stopping to eat here and there. I carried a cup of popcorn all day but didn't eat it, even though I know it's good popcorn. I will take a photo of this popcorn if requested.
I wanted to eat dinner at this buffet and spent some of my walking just wandering waiting for the time it opens for dinner. I got there at the opening time to find it all torn down and gutted. They are revamping it and will be closed for who knows how long.

I had to settle for fried rice noodles with onions. I took it to a little square to eat. I was sitting and Wechatting while eating, and suddenly there's a pair of feet next to mine. I look up and see this old guy standing there, trying to look at my phone screen. His wife comes up and then they sit less than a meter from me. There had to be like 15 meters of space on this bench. She pulls out the bag of boiled eggs and starts peeling, stinking up the place. He's just sitting there staring at me, leaning and trying to see my phone and what I am eating, how I eat, etc. Some teen kids were walking by and had this look of pure horror on their faces when they saw me eating Chinese food with chopsticks. I think i broke some brains when they saw I was eating and had a small COLD fruit soda with my food.

My boss's daughter is my Face Master and taught me the intricacies of face when outside in public. She taught me that no matter what you do, if you really want to keep best face or gain it, never ever ever acknowledge any bullshit you do. Don't even dare look at the other person, because that is a form of acknowledgement, and you lose. Just do whatever you want to do and never look back, never pay attention, never side-step, never stop. This is how you face.
Watch old people, they will never even glance at you when they step in front of you, as they expect you to move around them.

Because people outside are so oblivious or trying to out-face me, I have written before that I enjoy being a dick to people now. When I do something polite I would have done before coming here, I honestly feel stupid. They don't give poo poo that I was polite or giving right of way, and they would never do it to me, so why am I so foolish to do it? Today I made sure to bump into anyone that was assuming I would move for them. Some guy in flip-flops rudely cut me off on the stairs, so I stepped on the back of his flop and made him stumble and his foot came out of it. I didn't want him to make me fall, but I have no problem if I made him fall. I am become Mainlander.

I was in a pedestrian tunnel walking up the bike lane/ramp in the middle of the stairs, another guy ahead of me, when a pair of couples appears at the top. Three of them go on the stairs, and the Office Buzzcut looks at both of us coming up the ramp and decides to Face his way down it in hopes of forcing us both to move out of his way.
There are a few types of Buzzcuts, but Office Buzzcuts are very common in cities. They are just watery and fat guys who go for the Buzzcut look, but have zero muscle under that fat, along with the brown skin that goes with working outdoors and doing laborious work. They sit on their asses all day, pale, squishy, and getting up to eat or piss is the most of their movement. They are faux Buzzcuts and carry none of the aggressive drunken tendencies of true Buzzcuts. If you want to talk about "stolen valor," Office Buzzcuts are stealing the valor of the true ones, because it get a little confusing as they try to pass themselves off as anything more than lazy fatsos.

Anyway, he was pretending to listen to his friends talking while spreading his girth across where us two guys coming up the ramp were. The guy in front of me skirted around him, but I wanted to gain face. I just kept going straight and I reached up and grabbed his soft shoulder firmly and pushed him aside onto the stairs. For a brief moment he started falling backwards and my mind was thinking "oh man, this is it, this is how I get deported.. a fight in a stairwell," but he saved himself. I just kept trucking forward and pretended nothing happened. He didn't retaliate, but the foreigner caused him to lose major face in front of his girl and his bro.

As a bonurs, here is Shenzhen municipal authority reaction to high-standard Chinese engineering against rain:

I saw a big pregnant woman wearing a muumuu shirt that said "No progress in pleasure," and I thought it was a fitting slogan for what she's about to endure.

As an end to day of face, I was on the very last car of the train, leaning on the wall. Another guy is near me. There's enough space for a small kid at best between us, when this dumb guy walks up and literally shoves his way between us and manspreads as wide as we can. I was less than a minute away from my stop, but I did the same with my arms while using my phone and shifting around, hitting him with my elbows.

I got off the train and bumped into several more people on the escalator and then went to eat pizza and ice cream and hot milk and listen to some guy talk about seeing ghosts in mirrors or something, coming back home about 10:45 at night.

simplefish posted:

Shenzhen update: still good to visit
I saw many foreigners today. Which one were you?

1. Brown Muslim man in black Pakistani salwar kameez?
2. Fat Muslim man with big bulbous belly leading the way?
3. One of the 900 Indian men of various builds?
4. One of the 1300 Pakistan men with Muhammad beards?
5. White-ish guy in a pink tank-top speaking French with half-Chinese daughter?
6. Bald bearded white guy in shirt and shorts with massive hi-top sneakers walking like a Gangsta? You had two Chinese guys in their 20s walking behind you imitating you and laughing.
7. Skinny black girl in short running shorts and tank-top and head band, everything head-to-toe Nike brand?
8. Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fat white guy in a plaid shirt, probably from America?
9. Pack of loud Australians?
10. A very tall and lanky white guy with a very short and bearded white friend?
11. Blond Russian girl that looked like she'd been on a 200-day bender?

Me: Sunglasses white guy in Nikes and exercise clothes, holding a cup of popcorn.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I had a shockingly blatant cut in front. I was behind a dude and maybe there was a foot between us and this woman shoves her way into this tiny-rear end space. I called her a dumb, rude oval office in front of her daughter and for some reason she was extremely upset about this, idk why :confused:

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Haier posted:

Free buckets
Please tell me you took as many of these free buckets as you could carry, then came back for the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Haier I'm glad you're getting out because your behavior is 100% pure meltdown that every long-term China sexpat has seen in their friends

• Locked thread