Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Editing killed Suicide Squad

Being a garbage piece of poo poo movie on every level killed Suicide Squad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I was hoping Valerian would make an assload of money and that somehow resulting in us finally getting a (probably terrible) live action Space Adventure Cobra movie.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Teikanmi posted:

I mean it's a weird french movie from a weird french comic that no one has read starring actors no one has heard of

in 2017 when everything is just a rehash of a rehash of a rehash drawn from some original source material that everyone knows, it's not really surprising

i'm more shocked that it cost 200 million dollars and they somehow managed to get enough investors to give them 200 million dollars

:eyepop:
Yikes, that's pretty bad. I guess his Fifth Element and Lucy were technically box office hits, but wowzers that's a big price tag for a movie like this.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 21, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Shinjobi posted:

I am not shocked Valerian is doing bad; I am shocked it is expected to do worse than Ghost in the Shell.

ScarJo is pretty much the difference maker, I guess.

Ghost in the Shell at least had the good sense to come out in March when there was really nothing else out. Nobody's going to see Valerian regardless, but they're certainly not going to see it when you've got a relatively recent Spiderman, Planet of the Apes, and a new Christopher Nolan movie all playing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

WampaLord posted:

Editing killed Suicide Squad.

Giving the quirky clown lady a baseball bat to defend the earth from cosmic alien threats was actually a totally sound and reasonable premise. It must have just been the editing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

Giving the quirky clown lady a baseball bat to defend the earth from cosmic alien threats was actually a totally sound and reasonable premise. It must have just been the editing.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Being a garbage piece of poo poo movie on every level killed Suicide Squad

I mostly wanted to share that video, cause it's good. I'm well aware that movie had plenty of other issues.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

WampaLord posted:

I mostly wanted to share that video, cause it's good. I'm well aware that movie had plenty of other issues.

This is fair. It's a good video that made be subscribe to that guy.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm still hype for Valerian. Luc Besson is cool.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I subscribed to the guy but he's obviously an ex-editor or a failed film editor or something because he tries to relate every issue with films to the editing process.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Light Gun Man posted:

I was hoping Valerian would make an assload of money and that somehow resulting in us finally getting a (probably terrible) live action Space Adventure Cobra movie.

If Valerian was a hit we'd get a live-action Incal movie that would be just as faithful to the source material as the live-action Ghost in the Shell movie was.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I don't know anything about Valerian but everything I've seen makes it look generic as gently caress. Ooo it looks pretty who cares

No idea why anybody was expecting it to be successful

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The last Luc Besson film I enjoyed was The Family. Especially when it went completely meta and the film critic DeNiro was impersonating had to sit down and watch Goodfellas and then give a q&a to a bunch of french film buffs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p443GU8yCuM

gently caress yeah

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

this looks like fun :thunk:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

A key term in musical theatre training is learning to be a 'triple threat', which means the ability to act, sing and dance to a high standard.

The dancing looked good, I can't wait to see the musical numbers.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loving Trailer house awfulness aside it looks interesting. Did they finally give Tony Jaa some acting lessons?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

bring back old gbs posted:

their friend mikey did a stranger things review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3BsgQISFIE

but idk who red lenner media is

Whoof, this video is rough. The spaztastic editing makes it really hard to follow his thoughts.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

HIJK posted:

Whoof, this video is rough. The spaztastic editing makes it really hard to follow his thoughts.

Really? I like movies with mikey quite a lot.

Josh in this re:view was totally pleasant too!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm probably not going to watch Valerian, but I'm sure it's not that bad.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

oohhboy posted:

loving Trailer house awfulness aside it looks interesting. Did they finally give Tony Jaa some acting lessons?

He was in the new XXX Vin diesel movie where he played a goofy villain. When Tony jaa is allowed to do more than glower he can be quite charismatic.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

HIJK posted:

yea, sometimes he goes really off the deep end and it's intolerable. if he doesn't get wrapped up in the movie invoking emotions about his own personal life (he's got multiple sclerosis and had to quit his job) some of the videos are fun. he's always going after the themes and how the script, scenes or other choices are intentionally conveying things. it's not as technical as redlettermedia discussion but you gotta sift through them to find the good ones.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

He was in the new XXX Vin diesel movie where he played a goofy villain. When Tony jaa is allowed to do more than glower he can be quite charismatic.

I remember his early films where the moment he stopped fighting everything about him went to hell so I am leaning on "Got acting lessons" and/or a director who knows more about films than just pointing the camera at cool stuff.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

starkebn posted:

I've never seen an attractive women who looked worse with short hair. if you think short hair makes a women ugly I'm sorry you've been brainwashed by a garbage sexual culture

what. every one does. they look better with long hair.

violent sex idiot posted:

why would you pay some one money to use their intellectual property when yo ucan just create a LEGALLY DISTINCT NON INFRINGING product such as bright, which will be attractive to the audience that gives a poo poo about shadow run and the trillions of people who dont know anything about shadow run wouldnt care if it was a licensed adaptation anyway

games workshop completely destroyed their fantasy setting and remade it way more terrible just so they could trademark and copyright basic poo poo like elves and dwarfs.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 21, 2017

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Ur a wizard Hairy.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Groovelord Neato posted:

games workshop completely destroyed their fantasy setting and remade it way more terrible just so they could trademark and copyright basic poo poo like elves and dwarfs.

I looked it up. When I think grace and nobility I think AYULFS HYUCK!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That Martin re:View was really good. That little tribute to Romero at the end got me.:smith:

I think I like the Josh and Jay episodes the most due to them mostly only talking about weird old underrated movies.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I just found out this exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=996zhYei9Xw

Adding Tommy Wiseau to the cast is putting a hat on a hat though.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

HIJK posted:

Someone should tell him that no one will interrupt him so he can stop using uptalk in every sentence.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Im not surprised Valerian is gonna flop. Its not based on an IP that most Americans (or Chinese) have heard of, its not star wars or Marvel or DC or Star Trek, it doesnt have A-list actors. I knew it was gonna flop. But dang im saddened to hear that it actually sucks. I'm still going to see it. It cant be any worse than Transformers or most of the DC movies or Rogue One.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Blue Star posted:

I'm still going to see it. It cant be any worse than Transformers or most of the DC movies or Rogue One.

You are why we can't have nice things :(

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

You are why we can't have nice things :(

Really? If Valerian sucks and is going to flop anyway, its not like my going to see it will make it successful and then we get a bunch more Valerian movies.

And besides I'm not 100% convinced it sucks, I dont take people's word on the internet as gospel. It might suck but I'll see it and judge for myself.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

PostNouveau posted:

I just found out this exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=996zhYei9Xw

Adding Tommy Wiseau to the cast is putting a hat on a hat though.

It's trash - don't even bother with it... There was no way to recapture any magic of the original...

naem
May 29, 2011

It looks like a flashy spectacle I'll Netflix it

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
97% of movies that come out;
Goons: Uh, it's just this recycled loving garbage again. Reboots and sequels and cinematic universes are the worst why is this all the comes out?

3% of movies that come out;
Goons: :smuggo: :smuggo: Oh look, an unknown property, how quaint. :smuggo: :smuggo: It's so obvious this would fail how could anyone be so retarded as you go watch this movie? :smuggo: :smuggo:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I hear Dunkirk is real good

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm just so tired of all these kirked duns.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Groovelord Neato posted:

what. every one does. they look better with long hair.

Sorry for your garbage thoughts

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Valerian blows Transformers out of the water. The Last Knight was so bad that even Transformers fans hated it. I saw 5 year olds leaving confused and unimpressed.

I know it's a low bar, it might even be the lowest bar of the year, but Valerian is a better movie than Transformers. Easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

a bone to pick posted:

I watched Despicable Me last night and I thought it was really good, I've also seen the Minions movie which caused me to abandon all hope for the future of the human race.

Every Despicable Me movie is forgettable crap.

• Locked thread