Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I have an enemy dying of rear end cancer. Every day I pray there are no advances in cancer research for the next thirty years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

vermin posted:

I've heard that's testicular cancer cause it's easy to beat. I have no sources to cite. I am not saying Josh is testicular cancer.

he looks like a cancerous testicle

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

vermin posted:

I've heard that's testicular cancer cause it's easy to beat. I have no sources to cite. I am not saying Josh is testicular cancer.

The pitcher Jameson Taillon was diagnosed with testicular cancer in May this year and he was playing again in June.

Although treating it means cutting your nut off, so I'm not sure that really counts as beating it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So I have some HOT, INSIDER info about Valerian.

Currently, it's set to do even worse than Ghost in the Shell. There's still plenty of weekend left, of course, but tracking from Thursday has it below our anime ScarJo action flick.

I'm genuinely surprised by this.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Releasing it in July was dumb.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I'm not. People generally don't respond to "generic sci fi" it has to be Star Wars or Star Trek or Marvel or else something with it's own sort of appeal like a Minority Report.

Like all I saw from that trailer was "Look at CGI for 2 hours with a loving standard rear end plot that will never surprise you."

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I wanna know who the Valerian is

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

reignofevil posted:

I wanna know who the Valerian is

Has anybody ever heard of those chaps over at the City of a Thousand Planets?

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Shinjobi posted:

Currently, it's set to do even worse than Ghost in the Shell. There's still plenty of weekend left, of course, but tracking from Thursday has it below our anime ScarJo action flick.

It deserves it. I want my 6 dollars back

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

WampaLord posted:

I'm not. People generally don't respond to "generic sci fi" it has to be Star Wars or Star Trek or Marvel or else something with it's own sort of appeal like a Minority Report.

Like all I saw from that trailer was "Look at CGI for 2 hours with a loving standard rear end plot that will never surprise you."

Yeah the trailer's gotta make it look unique for people to give a poo poo and trailer companies are bad at their jobs. Valerian is probably a unique interesting world, but like John Carter of Mars it goes in one eye and out the other.

What is this? Weird tall alien elves? Do they have sex with the humans? Big giant building landscapes. Exploding forgettable ships. Desert planet. Ice planet. A storm is coming? I don't care. The storm is boring. I want Guardians of the Galaxy Twoooo!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The only exception I can think of to my "generic sci fi always flops" premise is Avatar, but that's because James Cameron is James Cameron.

E: VVV lmao loving :same:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can't believe any of you went to see it

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 21, 2017

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I'm probably going to end up seeing Valerian some time next week, and it's basically a compromise with my roommate so he'll come with me to see Atomic Blonde. Neither of us really wants to see each other's movie that badly, but don't want to not see them badly enough that we won't go with our friends.

e: At the very least, I imagine seeing the movie will make me interested in reading the source material, like Watchmen and I, Robot did.

e2: I am still pretty obsessed with the Gangsta's Paradise cover, though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't know if even China can save Valerian at this rate...

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i am going to see valerian on a day that it is raining

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm going to have a Valerian double feature with Bright when they show up on Netflix.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Vaguido posted:

I really don't get the appeal of the dude who played the Green Goblin in Amazing Spiderman 2.

He looks like the evil twin of Leonardo DiCaprio from like 20 years ago. I sort of wonder if everyone thinks he's going to have a similar break out moment of Leo or even a James Franco that will catapult him into similar AAA leading man status.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
All I know about Valerian is it's the dude who made Fifth Element, and it's not part of, or the launch of, an Extended (TM) Cinematic Universe (C) which was more than enough for my to want it to succeed. gently caress you guys.

Nah I haven't seen it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

counterfeitsaint posted:

All I know about Valerian is it's the dude who made Fifth Element, and it's not part of, or the launch of, an Extended (TM) Cinematic Universe (C) which was more than enough for my to want it to succeed. gently caress you guys.

Nah I haven't seen it.

The guy who made The Fifth Element was also the guy who made Lucy, so it's basically a coin toss.

e: Also, this movie ostensibly does not have Ruby Rhod in it, so it can't possibly be as good as The Fifth Element.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fifth Element was that magical mess of a movie that works despite itself. You can't replicate that kind of thing, it was lightning in a bottle.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Fifth Element is the third best Die Hard movie.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

ultrabindu posted:

Fifth Element is the third best Die Hard movie.

I don't understand what you mean. Could you explain with a slickly edited and narrated video about the subject?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'd probably be more interested in a full-length "Dragonfly" they were filming in the movie CQ.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

FrensaGeran posted:

I don't understand what you mean. Could you explain with a slickly edited and narrated video about the subject?

no

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

WampaLord posted:

New video you FUCKS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C47zRs6SPZM

Content Warning: Josh
I kind of had a feeling they were going to do Martin or Creepshow after Romero passed

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Some of you guys want to gently caress Jay. Did you want to gently caress him when he was a fat guy with bad teeth who looked like a little troll?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Shinjobi posted:

It's a weird looking gleep glorp sci-fi with zero star power and based on an IP nobody's ever heard of, opening against an acclaimed war movie on the tail end of blockbuster season. How could this possibly fail?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Waltzing Along posted:

Some of you guys want to gently caress Jay. Did you want to gently caress him when he was a fat guy with bad teeth who looked like a little troll?

We are all fat guys with bad teeth who look like little trolls...on the inside...and the outside

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
reView is perfect for Josh - can keep him in there and keep him out of the juicy goods of BOTW.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

vermin posted:

The best prank the cosmos ever pulled was making testicular and prostate cancer incredibly easy to diagnose, incredibly easy to treat, and fully capable of having a 100% survival rate, but they're actually lethal as gently caress solely because straight men are like "dude I don't want some doctor playing with my rear end and balls, I'm not a fag!"

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Shinjobi posted:

If the entire selling point of your movie is that it's set in a bizarre fantasy world no one will want to see it. Orc Cop the Movie will probably do ok because you can at least tell your friend it's a Will Smith movie where he's a cop with an Orc as a partner and that is at least kind of intriguing. Valerian seems to have a generic and boring story with boring actors and characters.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
wow this is the first time i've seen anything with josh that didn't make me want to stop watching within 3 minutes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Orc cop is neat because David Ayer is the director and he did Fury which was good. He also did suicide squad which was bad though so it's a toss up.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I watched Despicable Me last night and I thought it was really good, I've also seen the Minions movie which caused me to abandon all hope for the future of the human race.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Orc cop is neat because David Ayer is the director and he did Fury which was good. He also did suicide squad which was bad though so it's a toss up.

Editing killed Suicide Squad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDclQowcE9I

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

a bone to pick posted:

I watched Despicable Me last night and I thought it was really good, I've also seen the Minions movie which caused me to abandon all hope for the future of the human race.

The first movie is a really good. The third isn't.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Valerian looks like it could go either way, secret hot mess fun movie that was too abstract, artsy and unique to make money, or just regular piece of poo poo hot mess.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am not shocked Valerian is doing bad; I am shocked it is expected to do worse than Ghost in the Shell.

ScarJo is pretty much the difference maker, I guess.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I mean it's a weird french movie from a weird french comic that no one has read starring actors no one has heard of

in 2017 when everything is just a rehash of a rehash of a rehash drawn from some original source material that everyone knows, it's not really surprising

i'm more shocked that it cost 200 million dollars and they somehow managed to get enough investors to give them 200 million dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along posted:

The first movie is a really good. The third isn't.

Yeah I could tell by the end of it that any sequel would be inferior.

• Locked thread