Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

treiz01 posted:

So over the last few days I have been observing what may be a new cheat for the game. I was playing in squads with my friends and we were getting regular network lag during a match. Now, that by itself isn't suspicious, but during each lag spike one particular player was getting kills. Keep an eye out, goons!

good avatar post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Hey guys, I'm working on this community application and they want some VODs of past events, the only thing I still have laying around is the thunderdome we built in RUST. We'll need a few more views on that one before it's really all that relevant I guess. It was great at the time but I was only streaming for posterity not for fame & glory.

Does anyone have links to past goon events? Doesn't have to be any particular game, just a game where we have done cool events/things.

I've got two links from Vulgar, and one from me though I may not include it. We need another decent one I think.

Just to keep reiterating because not everyone follows the thread closely : we're trying to get the custom game client so we can organize awesome custom matches like survival mode, 50 vs 50 players, drive by shootings only, and anything else our twisted minds can think of. If it's any consolation when we host the events it's not my beautiful face you'll see, but this good looking baby boy:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

RizieN posted:

Does anyone have links to past goon events? Doesn't have to be any particular game, just a game where we have done cool events/things.

you should contact the Diamond Frogs in Elite Dangerous

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I'm honestly surprised that this is even a question with PUBG. The application should just read "We're goddamn Something Awful"

Literally every online game should have endless stories of the triumphs and destruction that Goons have directly caused or been a part of. The internet has grown and branched out over the past decade so we're far from the largest anymore, but I still can't think of many communities that have been as influential as us in the grand scheme of things.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Will this let any goon host custom events, or only a designated community leader?

Sad that "being somethingawful" isn't a shoe-in.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 21, 2017

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Send them a link to some GoonSwarm article or something maybe?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Efexeye posted:

you should contact the Diamond Frogs in Elite Dangerous

I'm going to google these words, but if you have links that'd help me a ton.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Will this let any goon host custom events, or only a designated community leader?

Sad that "being somethingawful" isn't a shoe-in.

They'll only give out 2 clients, and I think as it stands that'll be me and weedbabygoku, unless we put it to a vote. Though we're the ones organizing and filling out the applications, so for now we're using us. We're obviously going to have scheduled events and broadcast everything, no one will be excluded. No ivory PTT tower ;)

odiv posted:

Send them a link to some GoonSwarm article or something maybe?

I have a GoonSwarm wiki/link included. I've included some short anecdotes like that time when we literally crushed the rebel alliance in Star Wars Galaxies. I think they're looking for videos though, which I've explained that we do a lot of poo poo together but never really broadcasted, but that we'll prove to them we can grow broadcasts with the client and these community events.

Teeter posted:

I'm honestly surprised that this is even a question with PUBG. The application should just read "We're goddamn Something Awful"

Literally every online game should have endless stories of the triumphs and destruction that Goons have directly caused or been a part of. The internet has grown and branched out over the past decade so we're far from the largest anymore, but I still can't think of many communities that have been as influential as us in the grand scheme of things.

I legit might just copy paste this at the end of the application.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

RizieN posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773251

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

RizieN posted:

Hey guys, I'm working on this community application and they want some VODs of past events, the only thing I still have laying around is the thunderdome we built in RUST. We'll need a few more views on that one before it's really all that relevant I guess. It was great at the time but I was only streaming for posterity not for fame & glory.

I've got two links from Vulgar, and one from me though I may not include it. We need another decent one I think.

Just to keep reiterating because not everyone follows the thread closely : we're trying to get the custom game client so we can organize awesome custom matches like survival mode, 50 vs 50 players, drive by shootings only, and anything else our twisted minds can think of. If it's any consolation when we host the events it's not my beautiful face you'll see, but this good looking baby boy:

You should look into the Eve online stuff, i think goons started the anual BURN JITA event? That got large enough to make news on multiple gaming sites.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

RizieN posted:

They'll only give out 2 clients, and I think as it stands that'll be me and weedbabygoku, unless we put it to a vote. Though we're the ones organizing and filling out the applications, so for now we're using us. We're obviously going to have scheduled events and broadcast everything, no one will be excluded. No ivory PTT tower ;)
Haha - well represent the forums well, or something. *puts on vague moderating staff hat* This seems like the perfect sort of game for forums events even outside of this thread, so hopefully y'all can help facilitate that? I'm...not really sure why this isn't given to everyone who buys the game but, oh well, you have my support.

I'd say talk to lowtax but...that's probably fruitless.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 21, 2017

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

treiz01 posted:

So over the last few days I have been observing what may be a new cheat for the game. I was playing in squads with my friends and we were getting regular network lag during a match. Now, that by itself isn't suspicious, but during each lag spike one particular player was getting kills. Keep an eye out, goons!

I had this exact same thing happen last night as soon as we engaged a four man squad. I had a huge amount of network traffic poo poo up my internet connection at the same time, enough to kill my steam and teamspeak connections. All three of us were dead by the time it stopped.

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

Is there a program that would allow me to play without recording whole sessions but I press a button and it grabs the last minute or two of game play? I was in a match yesterday where either his client was messing up or he was cheating.

I was on the second floor of a building and the guy comes up through the floor like a land shark, shoots me before dipping back below the floorboards and relocating. He did this one more time which killed me off and I would love to have some proof to show the devs.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Posigniat posted:

Is there a program that would allow me to play without recording whole sessions but I press a button and it grabs the last minute or two of game play? I was in a match yesterday where either his client was messing up or he was cheating.

I was on the second floor of a building and the guy comes up through the floor like a land shark, shoots me before dipping back below the floorboards and relocating. He did this one more time which killed me off and I would love to have some proof to show the devs.

Nvidia shadow play does that.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

RizieN posted:

I have a GoonSwarm wiki/link included. I've included some short anecdotes like that time when we literally crushed the rebel alliance in Star Wars Galaxies. I think they're looking for videos though, which I've explained that we do a lot of poo poo together but never really broadcasted, but that we'll prove to them we can grow broadcasts with the client and these community events.

I legit might just copy paste this at the end of the application.

Ace online/air rivals/space cowboy from several years ago had a pretty heavy goon presence and our clan dominated that game. Doubleeagle was a goon who was the top evasion igear which between the hatred for goons in that game and being unkillable meant he was public enemy #1. There are funny videos of him flying around with basically the entire enemy side chasing him. Also goons would organize big gently caress you groups of 20-30 and took over server wide events.

This isn't double eagle but another dude. Look for videos from him or Riitta. Music sucks, video has a lot of goon presence though. Spaceship mmo was so fun :(

https://youtu.be/SP_sS5mPBU0

Mostly though everyone hates us
https://youtu.be/ntp4DZ8F82U

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 21, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Posigniat posted:

Shadow play or plays.tv

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Haha - well represent the forums well, or something. *puts on vague moderating staff hat* This seems like the perfect sort of game for forums events even outside of this thread, so hopefully y'all can help facilitate that? I'm...not really sure why this isn't given to everyone who buys the game but, oh well, you have my support.

I'd say talk to lowtax but...that's probably fruitless.

I believe the plan is to extend customs to everyone eventually but for now other stuff is higher priority like making the game run well

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Posigniat posted:

To clarify, if you have an Nvidia GPU then you will have this feature by default as long as you've got their GeForce Experience software for driver updates. It was formerly called Shadowplay but as of the latest trainwreck of an update it's now called Nvidia Share. You'll have trouble finding it if you poke around for Shadowplay but the share button or hitting alt+Z in game will have the options for Instant Replay that you're looking for. https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/geforce-experience-shadowplay-is-now-share

It's essentially a DVR that runs in the background so you don't need the foresight to activate it ahead of time. If anything eventful happens then just hit a hotkey and it saves the past 5 minutes of video.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
Alternately the joke front page at https://www.wowgoons.com has some video links to stuff goons have done in those games, though they might be too old at this point.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I believe the plan is to extend customs to everyone eventually but for now other stuff is higher priority like making the game run well
Right, it'd certainly increase their support burden.

Thank you to you two for doing the work to maybe get us access to cool extra stuff, much appreciated.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
A great way to tell if you should immediately turn off a stream is if the streamer is wearing those dumb gold gamer glasses

radio host voices are a great red flag too

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Thanks for some of those links above guys!

Truth Quark posted:

Alternately the joke front page at https://www.wowgoons.com has some video links to stuff goons have done in those games, though they might be too old at this point.

I'm guessing it shouldn't look like this:

We may have an okay showing as it stands now, but if anyone has some loving epic must-include video let's find that bad boy.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I tried digging up articles and whatnot but across the board they referred to Goons as "online terrorists" and "sociopaths of the virtual world" which while accurate is maybe not the best way to start off on the right foot.

per the Encyclopedia Dramatica entry,

quote:

Imagine if you will the Goons of Something Awful coming together to play online games in a clan-like fashion. Yes, it makes me sad inside too.

This is in essence the Something Awful forums in game form, with just as much faggotry and painfully old memes being thrown around as you'd expect to find in the forums at any given time. In order to join a goon squad for any given game, it is a necessity that you are a goon, and sufficiently pro at the game in question. The largest of the squads base themselves around really great games, where in they make it their goal to ruin the game for all the other geeks playing it, and often abuse the game mechanics because of their large numbers to become very powerful.

On second thought, maybe confining Goons to a private server is in PUBG's best interest.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Low Desert Punk posted:

A great way to tell if you should immediately turn off a stream is if the streamer is wearing those dumb gold gamer glasses

radio host voices are a great red flag too
Nope just watching a streamer at all is the first warning.

Books still exist people, you don't have to worship video game shitlords just coz you've burned through every D-list superhero show on Netflix.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
^^ sometimes its fun to watch someone perform at the highest level in a game. Every game is almost like a new movie. You shouldn't be staring at streamers and throwing money at them 24/7, but you shouldn't do that with anything.

re: Dramatica - Hahahaha that's amazing. At least in PUBG a lot of those things aren't possible. I don't see how we can ruin PUBG for anyone since it's not a persistent world, and there's a blue line that moves. The real losers are those pussies that hide in bathtubs with shotties and just camp with their 8x on the Driver's side window of the vehicle you're going to get in in 5 minutes when you leave military.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You realize a lot of people are either bad at a game and want to see someone do well or are trying to learn via watching a good player, right.

Watching Arrow on Netflix and watching a pubg streamer is not the same thing.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

revolther posted:

Books still exist people, you don't have to worship video game shitlords just coz you've burned through every D-list superhero show on Netflix.

drat dude, that was a weird thing to get worked up over.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

RizieN posted:

^^ sometimes its fun to watch someone perform at the highest level in a game. Every game is almost like a new movie. You shouldn't be staring at streamers and throwing money at them 24/7, but you shouldn't do that with anything.

re: Dramatica - Hahahaha that's amazing. At least in PUBG a lot of those things aren't possible. I don't see how we can ruin PUBG for anyone since it's not a persistent world, and there's a blue line that moves. The real losers are those pussies that hide in bathtubs with shotties and just camp with their 8x on the Driver's side window of the vehicle you're going to get in in 5 minutes when you leave military.

Make a designated clothing set that means you're a goon, have 300 people queue at the same time for solo mode, pick a meeting spot and team up.

I think it's a bummer that teaming up isn't allowed in solo. (Like, genuinely emergent team-building within the game, not two people on voice who know each other hitting queue at the same time.) The white circle is on the military island and you and another guy are already there by the bridge? It seems like there's good reason to not kill each other as long as people are screaming across the bridge from outside it, all without any prior coordination. You shouldn't be punished for recognizing mutual self-interest.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 21, 2017

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

revolther posted:

But books lack Speed, Momentum, and Violence. They are just boring pieces of paper that can't satisfy my needs.

Also, watching streamers and twitch in general are awesome and good.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Make a designated clothing set that means you're a goon, have 300 people queue at the same time for solo mode, pick a meeting spot and team up.

I think it's a bummer that teaming up isn't allowed in solo. (Like, genuinely emergent team-building within the game, not two people on voice who know each other hitting queue at the same time.) The white circle is on the military island and you and another guy are already there by the bridge? It seems like there's good reason to not kill each other as long as people are screaming in from outside, all without any prior coordination. You shouldn't be punished for recognizing mutual self-interest.

Chinese speaking players would do this for a while in h1z1, white underpants and blue helmet.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Just started playing this two days ago. If you're in a duo do you only play on the duo server against other duo's or is there a chance you get mixed in with groups or solos?

Also I hopped on the discord thing but have never used Discord before. Is it better to throw out my steam link for grouping invites or just use discord chat?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carebearz posted:

drat dude, that was a weird thing to get worked up over.

He's not wrong though. I'm actually illiterate now, it kicked in as soon as I entered twitch.tv in my address bar.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

I think it's a bummer that teaming up isn't allowed in solo. (Like, genuinely emergent team-building within the game, not two people on voice who know each other hitting queue at the same time.) The white circle is on the military island and you and another guy are already there by the bridge? It seems like there's good reason to not kill each other as long as people are screaming across the bridge from outside it, all without any prior coordination. You shouldn't be punished for recognizing mutual self-interest.

I agree, you should be able to party up and go into the same game as solos.

ChesterJT posted:

Just started playing this two days ago. If you're in a duo do you only play on the duo server against other duo's or is there a chance you get mixed in with groups or solos?

Also I hopped on the discord thing but have never used Discord before. Is it better to throw out my steam link for grouping invites or just use discord chat?

Solo, Duo and Squad servers are exactly that, solo server is all solos, duos server are all duos and squad servers the max team is 4, but there can be teams of 3 (turn off auto-matchmaking). You can, however, queue up in a duo as a solo and get a teammate, same with squads.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

ChesterJT posted:

use discord

whatever you queue into is what you'll play against, if you queue solo into duos or squads you'll be assigned teammates

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

ChesterJT posted:

You don't have to be steam friends to group up. Just join discord with your in-game name and chat people up.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

RizieN posted:

I agree, you should be able to party up and go into the same game as solos.
Building trust within the game client despite the fact that the other guy is a stranger who can murder you at any time is very different from forming a party in advance and landing somewhere together. It's rare that it'd be beneficial but it shouldn't be forbidden by the rules when it works out. Just like in real battle royale or whatever.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Building trust within the game client despite the fact that the other guy is a stranger who can murder you at any time is very different from forming a party in advance and landing somewhere together. It's rare that it'd be beneficial but it shouldn't be forbidden by the rules when it works out. Just like in real battle royale or whatever.

I just want to be in the same game as my buddies and maybe kill them.

I guess I'd be into what you're saying, persuade a stranger to help, if the goddamn mic would work in game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

White flag for melee weapon slot. Turns red with blood if you kill someone with it lol.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

revolther posted:

Why watch sports just play them lazy assholes

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Why watch sports just play them lazy assholes

Why are you playing PUBG? Get a rifle and go earn a real chicken dinner for yourself you loving neckbeard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

https://www.destructoid.com/breaking-goonfleet-stomps-band-of-brothers-in-biggest-eve-takedown-ever-77421.phtml

Did you already find this for goonlore

• Locked thread