Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also also consider that a lot of abilities don't have a linear effect on dps, or are utility abilities that don't have any effect on dps at all. You're seriously understating how needlessly complex this would be compared with the current system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

That still sounds like a loving nightmare when you consider all the different factors you have to account for.

Also it would compound the problem of lovely dps players who can't do their full rotation. Imagine a dragoon who just does full thrust combos except now he's doing 50% less damage too.

What factors? DPS is the only factor that matters here.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Now you're just being dense.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Just to be clear, I'm not saying they do this for raids and everything, just LDR.

e: can even be just skills up to level 50.

Truga fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 21, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the gulf between--say--a level 70 white mage with all the fixings (aoe mitigation from holy, tetra, benediction, PI, regen) and a level 17 one is moses-in-the-red-sea-level big

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Reiterpallasch posted:

the gulf between--say--a level 70 white mage with all the fixings (aoe mitigation from holy, tetra, benediction, PI, regen) and a level 17 one is moses-in-the-red-sea-level big

and it absolutely doesn't matter in copperhell

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
don't scale healing potency numbers down: sprout conjurers in satasha heal for like 10% of what synced white mages do. afk level 70 scholars on sic are literally better healers than the best level 17 player in the world.

scale healing potency numbers down 10x: boy, it sure is fun having to slam benison (divine seal, swiftcast) -> cure 2 (tetra) to survive the first boss of sastasha.

edit: also, benediction wouldn't be affected anyway

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Truga posted:

it matters a shitton if someone is actually doing these dungeons for progression
how would you learn to tank properly when the DPS can nuke down early game mobs in a second

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Imagine being a newbie rogue and getting kicked from your first Sastasha run because you don't have Trick Attack.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Countblanc posted:

One of the best things about modern WoW is how early classes, even individual specs (which are basically classes unto themselves at this point), come online. You feel like an Enhancement Shaman, which feels different from an Arms Warrior, an Outlaw Rogue, or a Retribution Paladin, as early as level 10, and it only splits further from there. Classes/jobs in FFXIV take significantly longer to become fun, let alone different from other jobs in their role. Melee DPS is probably the most egregious example of this, but it's still pretty common among the other roles - look at the level-synced healers for another big example.

The soonest this will be addressed is in two years when 5.0 comes out and even then it isn't something they've really talked about so I'm not sure it's something they view as a problem, or at least one severe enough to untangle/completely rewrite their spaghetti code. I'm not really sure who the fix would even be targeting at that point either; I feel like Stormblood's insane marketing push would have been the time to redo the newbie experience but instead we were given level boost potions to bypass it, so I guess it'd just be for making level synced dungeons less bad and those vets who still had a few lowbie jobs to level.

The poxy, leprous hand of Celestalon grasps your ankle as he groans, "CLAaaasssss FAAAANTtaaaaaSYYYYYYYyyyyyyy...."

SAN loss.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the more sensible option which I'm pretty sure they're going with anyway is to just adjust what levels certain utilities are available at so that people have access to AOE and other such important things earlier on. sprouts won't get hosed over and roulette players will be at least a bit less bored

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Truga posted:

There's dungeons between the intro three and Kugane Castle, you know.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ciaphas posted:

This is what's making it hard for me to choose whether to buy Omega gear for NIN or BLM next week. BLM is so ludicrously satisfying to get right, until everything goes wrong on you.

I'm not playing BLM right now so I can't comment too much on the state of things, but I played it for the entirety of 2.X and 3.X, the latter of which was apparently difficult/tedious enough for people to hate its subsystem, and more than any other job BLM's potency just loving skyrockets as you learn fights. It's very satisfying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

it matters a shitton if someone is actually doing these dungeons for progression
how would you learn to tank properly when the DPS can nuke down early game mobs in a second

Yeah, it's worth remembering that people are regularly doing new content. It sucks when you random into copperhell with 4 level 70s but a lot of the time when you're getting low level dungeons it is because it's someone's first attempt.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bleu posted:

The poxy, leprous hand of Celestalon grasps your ankle as he groans, "CLAaaasssss FAAAANTtaaaaaSYYYYYYYyyyyyyy...."

SAN loss.

I don't actually know who Celestalon is.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Imagine being a level 70 dragoon in Tam Tara and having to do your full rotation to do the same dps as the level 16 guy spamming Impulse Drive.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also your table lookup plan doesn't even work for dps, because it wouldn't take into account things like pulls being bigger at higher levels

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I do know that the Class Fantasy meme got tossed around a lot in WoW discussion when they were redoing classes because it's a dumb phrase but it led to cool ideas like Beastmaster hunters actually getting a shitload of beasts and Enhancement shamans getting their sick lightning cleave move. It's a good outlook for game design, though probably not game balance which needs to be much more closely examined than "my class fantasy is to do the most damage and never die".

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it wouldn't work if calculated as potency per second instead of damage per second either, because of things like newbie blms being restricted to AF1

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

Same, but almost every class currently because you don't have aoe

it doesn't happen now, it won't happen then

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

Imagine being a level 70 dragoon in Tam Tara and having to do your full rotation to do the same dps as the level 16 guy spamming Impulse Drive.

I think impulse drive spam is dead, actually. Last I checked Full Thrust -> Vorpal Thrust gives you 10 more potency than Impulse Drive -> Impulse Drive in SB. Kinda makes Impulse Drive useless when you first get it but whatever. Point still stands tho, yeah.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Same, but almost every class currently because you don't have aoe

it doesn't happen now, it won't happen then

small brain: not having aoe moves in sastasha sucks

medium brain: maybe every class should get an aoe move at low levels

exploding brain: actually, everything will be fine if we calculate a precise lookup table characterizing the difference in rotational efficiency relative to median level capped performance (ignoring the fact that sprouts generally wear slightly outdated gear and synced players will be wearing at-level HQ) and apply it as a mandatory malus to everyone synced down. furthermore,

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just consider the massive gulf of difference between a level 70 scholar who gets three aetherflow stacks every 45 seconds (plus dissipation!) and can spend them on a huge variety of abilities, versus a level 15 scholar who gets one stack a minute and can only spend it on energy drain.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
yeah but those energy drains will hit for like 35 potency

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Just consider the massive gulf of difference between a level 70 scholar who gets three aetherflow stacks every 45 seconds (plus dissipation!) and can spend them on a huge variety of abilities, versus a level 15 scholar who gets one stack a minute and can only spend it on energy drain.

There is absolutely zero, because eos can handle everything.

Reiterpallasch posted:

small brain: not having aoe moves in sastasha sucks

medium brain: maybe every class should get an aoe move at low levels

exploding brain: actually, everything will be fine if we calculate a precise lookup table characterizing the difference in rotational efficiency relative to median level capped performance (ignoring the fact that sprouts generally wear slightly outdated gear and synced players will be wearing at-level HQ) and apply it as a mandatory malus to everyone synced down. furthermore,

and people are calling me obtuse. This all happens already.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
people, as in multiple persons, are calling you obtuse because you're being obtuse, op

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know why people are getting all up in arms over something that will guaranteed never ever happen. a simple "lol" would have been a better reply imo

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
concrete example:

Truga posted:

There is absolutely zero, because eos can handle everything.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Seriously how do you account for the presence or non-presence of group-wide utility abilities like Trick Attack, Battle Litany, Embolden, damage type debuffs, astrologian cards, defensive cooldowns, and so on and so forth?

If your response is just "it doesn't matter lol" then why would they ever bother doing this in the first place?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Velthice posted:

I don't know why people are getting all up in arms over something that will guaranteed never ever happen. a simple "lol" would have been a better reply imo

I dunno about the others but I'm trying to run down the clock at work for my last hour of the week.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'd be good with the previously mentioned solution of opening AoE abilities earlier for all classes. I'd love to have RA/GB/etc. in Garuda normal, but the cost to dev time with every balance patch seems unsustainable.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Velthice posted:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Trasson posted:

I dunno about the others but I'm trying to run down the clock at work for my last hour of the week.

this thread definitely gets snippier during us work hours and patch downtime, i love it

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Velthice posted:

It's fun to speculate. I think LLDR is fine, personally.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Reiterpallasch posted:

concrete example:

I never said anything about people not having aoe at 15.

Fister Roboto posted:

Seriously how do you account for the presence or non-presence of group-wide utility abilities like Trick Attack, Battle Litany, Embolden, damage type debuffs, astrologian cards, defensive cooldowns, and so on and so forth?

If your response is just "it doesn't matter lol" then why would they ever bother doing this in the first place?

What matters is, I want a solution, any solution, where people at level 15 have aoe and also all have some kind of rotation to do when synced down. Those things all combined are less of a difference than getting a non-aoe class, and non-aoe classes aren't getting kicked now, so your argument is bad and dumb.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
he was literally talking exclusively about aetherflow and aetherflow spenders and you said it didn't matter lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Countblanc posted:

I'm not playing BLM right now so I can't comment too much on the state of things, but I played it for the entirety of 2.X and 3.X, the latter of which was apparently difficult/tedious enough for people to hate its subsystem, and more than any other job BLM's potency just loving skyrockets as you learn fights. It's very satisfying.

I hated BLM in 3.X as well, but the advent of Enochian/AF/UI tie-in and Triplecase already made it better. The 60s Triplecast and faster F4/B4 casts in 4.05 are icing on the cake.

I played 314 BLM on Susano EX a bunch last night and on a perfectly executed run I got as high as like 3.8kdps and saw a 30k crit Foul.

Also booping back and forth with Aetherial Manipulation and Between The Lines to dodge mechanics is swag as hell :v:

Yeah I guess as I write this I really do like BLM more than NIN. Right now at least, y'all know me by now. :v:

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Trasson posted:

Extremely this.

Also I think protecting The Newbie Experience to some degree is important because while the game is turbo baby mode before you hit 30 there are a lot of people who are playing this as one of their first video games. My gf was looking at the price tag to get a copy because when I am playing this game it's my main hobby, it's cheap entertainment, and I won't shut the hell up about chocobos ever.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i dunno. you're not usually a bad poster so maybe i'm being too harsh on you or i don't understand what you want to do or this is a big huge miaunderstanding and i'm being a butt about it, but i don't think anyone else in this thread has a clear understanding of what you're trying to accomplish, either, in that case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Reiterpallasch posted:

this thread definitely gets snippier during us work hours and patch downtime, i love it

Us addicts need our goods or we go crazy, yeah

Six more hours until I get home :cry: