Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Like, if nothing else Cat is like a warning sign for what could be awaiting Jon. His body won't be as hosed, but his mind will have to change in some way. Even if he staves off the worst of it by his mind being in Ghost's body, I'm sure dying and becoming a wolf for a while will mess him up somehow.

At the very least we'll have people freaked out by him being alive again, rather than acting like he took a power nap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
To be fair, I doubt ravens even were sent out before he was resurrected(Thorne didn't seem so big on transparency or open communication), so no one outside of Castle Black even knew he'd died.

IIRC there hadn't been a formal election yet, so there was no reason to send out an announcement that "hey, we committed mutiny here!"

I'd imagine a lot of people who hear he died and came back just take it as a baseless rumor or exaggeration.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 21, 2017

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

It's nerdy as hell but I want to read the Blackfyre theory being confirmed.

Which theory is that?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I love how even if WoW comes out it just means another 5 year wait at minimum for A Dream of Spring. And that's a conservative estimate considering he's now taken 6 years to finish a book that's like 25% composed of poo poo that was already written and cut from the last book. And I'd bet my house that GRRM either officially gives up or dies before then.

He's already given up lmao

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's a ghoulish observation to make my dudes, but TBH Gurm's death would probably speed up the release timeline of the last two books.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If you read the first word of every paragraph of wild cards then you'll see that twow has been out for years

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I just can't believe that writing a drat book is more difficult than being a Jets fan.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I started reading the books only after seeing the first season of the TV show. I can't imagine how the wait has felt to anyone who has been reading the series for a way longer time.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

TeaJay posted:

I started reading the books only after seeing the first season of the TV show. I can't imagine how the wait has felt to anyone who has been reading the series for a way longer time.

Bad

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

TeaJay posted:

There are people who started reading this series when they were just entering middle age who are dead of old age now.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

At this rate, we all will be dying of old age before the series is finished.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There are people who started reading this series when they were just entering middle age who are dead of old age now.

The author?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't even remember what happened in the WoW teaser chapters that have been released other than that Sansa one that was good.

WoW gonna suck. Nothing will happen, and then GRRM will decide ADOS should be two books and then die.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

I don't even remember what happened in the WoW teaser chapters that have been released other than that Sansa one that was good.

WoW gonna suck. Nothing will happen, and then GRRM will decide ADOS should be two books and then die.

The damphair chapter was rad fuk u

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

^

Another thing I look forward to seeing more of, book Greyjoys.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

WrightOfWay posted:

Which theory is that?

Theory goes: Blackfyres lose and their male line is extinguished with the death of Maelys the Monstrous at the Stepstones. A Blackfyre woman marries Illyrio Mopatis, whose son is masquerading as Aegon VI. Also, Varys is a Blackfyre descendant and that's why he shaves his head and is working with Illyrio so closely and confidently in getting Aegon the throne.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Specifically Varys is a matrilineal Blackfyre like his dad was not BF but his mom was BF

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Apoplexy posted:

Theory goes: Blackfyres lose and their male line is extinguished with the death of Maelys the Monstrous at the Stepstones. A Blackfyre woman marries Illyrio Mopatis, whose son is masquerading as Aegon VI. Also, Varys is a Blackfyre descendant and that's why he shaves his head and is working with Illyrio so closely and confidently in getting Aegon the throne.

Also why Varys' dick would have been useful to perform sorcery with.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In one of the Bad Threads we went through and talked about all that has changed in our lives between Tyrion chapters. That was years and years ago though. Might be fun to talk about whats changed since the last book came out since its almost been another decade.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I unironically want to know if the Iron Bank has to cut their losses and write off Westeros or if they finally back someone who can mitigate their bad lending decisions.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I unironically want to know if the Iron Bank has to cut their losses and write off Westeros or if they finally back someone who can mitigate their bad lending decisions.

It supported Euron and bought him 1000 ships.

Their pollsters are really bad at predicting Westerosi politics.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

The Iron Bank will back the Night King

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Apoplexy posted:

Other fun and at least partially supported by the text book theories (courtesy of Preston Jacobs on Youtube):
Jon Snow actually is the bastard of Ned and Ashara Dayne, and it was Dany that Ned rescued from the Tower of Joy, and the house with the red door and lemon trees was in Dorne not Braavos as she believes. (Obviously not true in the book universe) Ned convinced Ashara to swap Dany with Jon when he went to Starfall after the Tower of Joy, and the promise he made to Lyanna was to protect Dany.

Quentyn Martell was meant to fail, and Doran was lying to him about almost everything, but the good news is he's not dead and may have even stolen one of Dany's dragons.

Qyburn is a deep-cover Martell catspaw and a major player in a decades long conspiracy organized by Oberyn and Doran to take down the Lannisters and engineer a Rhoynish restoration and implementation of Dornish Law across the Seven Kingdoms. (The Brave Companions are likely the same sellsword company that Oberyn founded when he was travelling Essos.)

My favorite is that Sweetrobin (AKA Robert Arryn Jr.) is a telepath of comparable power to any of the Stark children, and his illness is primarily the product of Children of the Forest consciousnesses in the Weirwood throne of the Eyrie attempting to possess and influence him. His unhealthy obsession with his mother and later Sansa may be not be purely psychological, the telepathy/warg powers of Sansa (and Lysa, since they both come from families with telepath/warg powers) may be helpful in resisting the influence of the spirits of the Eyrie. Sansa gets many of the same symptoms that Robert does when she's in the Eyrie, and he specifically says that when he sleeps with Sansa he doesn't experience any of the symptoms that haunt him otherwise. Robert is also given insanely large doses of Sweetsleep regularly, a drug also used by Maester Luwin to stop Bran's wolf dreams. Thing is that he's being given doses so large that if the potency of the drug is accurately described in a Tyrion chapter it should've killed Robert a long time ago.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 21, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

The iron throne has more or less solidified as a permanent institution so the iron bank will be paid back in time. May take 1000 years but think of all that interest!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

L O loving L

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/888346504527826944

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
HACKS

THEY'RE HACKS

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

That interview is a master class of not actually answering any hard questions.

God drat it's going to be a shitshow.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I bet it doesn't pan out in the end

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Either that or the show will loving suck lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

for real how do you forget the name of the bloodiest day in american history.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah they put out a press release yesterday about all the criticism, and they only said "Don't judge it before you see it" and "This can't be litigated over Twitter." Not at all reassuring.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Well I mean at least it can't be worse than the actual, literal Civil War!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

esperterra posted:

Like, if nothing else Cat is like a warning sign for what could be awaiting Jon. His body won't be as hosed, but his mind will have to change in some way. Even if he staves off the worst of it by his mind being in Ghost's body, I'm sure dying and becoming a wolf for a while will mess him up somehow.

At the very least we'll have people freaked out by him being alive again, rather than acting like he took a power nap.

He'll start eating uncooked meat and die of mad cow disease

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Shelby Foote is a great military historian but is seriously lackluster when it comes to all the political events, which ultimately are infinitely more important to understanding the Civil War. He's also a borderline Lost Causer.

So this doesn't bode well.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
For no particular reason, let's have a throwback to one of the better pieces of acting from last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZVlQr4sWTQ

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Shelby Foote is a great military historian but is seriously lackluster when it comes to all the political events, which ultimately are infinitely more important to understanding the Civil War. He's also a borderline Lost Causer.

The very fact that the CSA has somehow maintained parity with the Union in their universe does not bode well

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

ATP_Power posted:

(and Lysa, since they both come from families with telepath/warg powers) may be helpful in resisting the influence of the spirits of the Eyrie.

But Lysa is a Tully, not a Stark, and the Tullys don't have furryvision powers.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I thought I saw or read somewhere that Foote thinks the north basically beat the south with one arm tied behind it's back. That had the north not been dealing with other poo poo at the same time it would have been a much shorter war.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Iw-j217yk

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Phi230 posted:

The very fact that the CSA has somehow maintained parity with the Union in their universe does not bode well

No you see this agricultural society that had almost no infrastructure could absolutely keep up with an industrialized nation for 150 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I believe that they flat-out suppressed industrial development to keep the slave economy justifiable. Sources probably needed.

• Locked thread