Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I think people who don't like the episode are legitimately afraid of their own feelings and have terrible relationships with their families

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
or steal poo poo and hate a spare wheelbarrow wheel

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Ein cooler Typ posted:

on the marge be not proud dvd commentary they couldn't stop talking about how great the actor is they got to do the voice of the security guard

I'd never heard of him or seen him in anything else

Before doing Reservoir Dogs he was literally kicked out of Hollywood for being too much of an rear end in a top hat- something that does not happen, ever

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Hedenius posted:

The most baffling thing about the movie is that they've spent years and years on the show with Rainier Wolfcastle as the Simpsons version of Arnold Schwarzenegger. And in the movie they just straight up call him Schwarzenegger instead.

They didn't want any callbacks whatsoever to any previous episode (this baffles me :shrug:) but it would have been better with Al Brooks being Hank Scorpio and Schwarzenegger being Rainier Wolfcastle.

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

cool new Polack jokes posted:

They didn't want any callbacks whatsoever to any previous episode (this baffles me :shrug:) but it would have been better with Al Brooks being Hank Scorpio and Schwarzenegger being Rainier Wolfcastle.

no as everyone says keep scorpio out of that abomination

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The movie was alright I guess, but Hank Scorpio would have saved it. Al Brooks could have just improvised better scenes for like half the movie.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The movie should have just been ad-libs outtakes and deleted scenes from the first 10 years a la 138th Episode Spectacular

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
the movie was really bad, and the scene with bart's dick was really weird and unnecessary

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

the movie was really bad, and the scene with bart's dick was really weird and unnecessary

It's a funny joke, a subversion of the well known gag of "constantly cover the naughty bits" that we've seen in many other movies. I remember the theater laughing extremely hard at it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
i didn't see it in theaters, i bought it from the bootleg guy on the broad street subway on my way home from work

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The entire joke for Hank Scorpio was that he was a Bond villain who genuinely liked and appreciated Homer and that wouldn't have worked in the movie

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I RedBox'd it, and I still paid too much to see it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Calaveron posted:

The entire joke for Hank Scorpio was that he was a Bond villain who genuinely liked and appreciated Homer and that wouldn't have worked in the movie

also he was a major character in one specific episode and IIRC never seen again

that doesn't really apply to Wolfcastle though he's a regular side character who shows up in a ton of episodes

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

WampaLord posted:

It's a funny joke, a subversion of the well known gag of "constantly cover the naughty bits" that we've seen in many other movies. I remember the theater laughing extremely hard at it.

Ah yes, the guffaws of the public. The opinion of those barely trailed seals is hardly worth considering.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Looks like reddit caught on to the SA simpson's freeze-frame thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSimpsons/comments/6ocn8v/the_best_simpson_faces/

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Haier posted:

Inb4 Krust becomes mainstream and Gene has a heart attack.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Haier posted:

"the best Simpsons faces" has been a Facebook group for a few years now

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Haier posted:

I posted a few krusty faces in the original thread and I think most of them were from Reddit so they probably had us beat honestly

I still think the ones I posted were funnier than the famous one

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I wonder if it's even possible to get a good ridiculous non-contextual funny-face screen shot from the show any more.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Aesop Poprock posted:

so they probably had us beat honestly

its not like SA and reddit are distinct, separate groups of people. probably plenty of nerds post the same poo poo on both sites as well as in various Simpsons FB groups etc

especially since capturing funny freeze frames was a thing before any of these sites existed. some of this poo poo has been floating around since usenet days and probably comes from that first huge pre-wikipedia Simpsons archive site

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I wonder if it's even possible to get a good ridiculous non-contextual funny-face screen shot from the show any more.

I don't think they really even make facial expressions anymore

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 20, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Also an IRL scary dude:

quote:

Tierney's numerous arrests for being drunk and disorderly and jail terms for assault on civilians and lawmen alike took a toll on his career. He was an admitted alcoholic who tried to go sober in 1982 after having a mild stroke, once observing during a 1987 interview that he "threw away about seven careers through drink".

In just seven years between 1944 and 1951, Tierney was arrested over a dozen times for brawling, frequently for drunkenness. His legal troubles included a 90-day jail sentence he served from August to November 1951 for breaking a New York college student’s jaw. At the time of an October 1958 arrest for fighting two policemen outside a Manhattan bar, the New York Times reported he had been arrested six times in California and five in New York on similar charges. In January 1973, he was stabbed in a bar fight on the West Side of Manhattan.

In June 1975, Tierney was questioned by New York City police in connection with the apparent suicide of a 24-year-old woman who had jumped from the window of her high-rise apartment. Tierney told police, "I had just gotten there, and she just went out the window." He was never formally arrested or charged with the young woman's death.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I had just gotten there, and she just went out the window.

well that sounds technically correct

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Earwicker posted:

I don't think they really even make facial expressions anymore

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The episode where they found the angel skeleton was the first time I ever started going "Uhhh, that wasnt that great". Its not the point where I stopped liking the show but its definitely one of the first times I ever started not being 100% on board

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

on the marge be not proud dvd commentary they couldn't stop talking about how great the actor is they got to do the voice of the security guard

I'd never heard of him or seen him in anything else

That's funny, because I heard he (Lawrence Tierney) was nearly impossible to work with and constantly threatened people when making that episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

khwarezm posted:

That's funny, because I heard he (Lawrence Tierney) was nearly impossible to work with and constantly threatened people when making that episode.

The thing I heard was that he really didn't get the joke with his character leaving the answering machine message and they had to pretend that Marge was actually talking to him to get him to record the lines.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Meme Emulator posted:

The episode where they found the angel skeleton was the first time I ever started going "Uhhh, that wasnt that great". Its not the point where I stopped liking the show but its definitely one of the first times I ever started not being 100% on board

Honestly yeah, that's probably the first episode where I was like "what the gently caress was that". It was like one of the comedic x-files episodes but really didn't seem to fit the simpsons at all

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Yeah, I always thought the angel skeleton idea was actually kind of interesting but definitely a bit out of place for the simpsons

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I also liked how they made Arnold a character because they thought the movie audience was too stupid to know who their own Arnold parody character is. Also isn't it wacky that this guy could be president? Joke was just lame then, now it's depressing as gently caress too.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

marge's face is so stiff on the second animation that it's scary

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

marge's face is so stiff on the second animation that it's scary

It's how she swings around into a closed mouth rictus grin in like half a second that makes it so offputting

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Perhaps even more than the animation, the flat voice acting bugs me. Everything is just so sterile and soulless.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

fish and chips and dip posted:

Perhaps even more than the animation, the flat voice acting bugs me. Everything is just so sterile and soulless.

Most of the main voice actors are dangerously approaching senility

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Sentient Data posted:

I think people who don't like the episode are legitimately afraid of their own feelings and have terrible relationships with their families

I loving hate that episode and I'm glad other people do too.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
When a woman slipped Homer some drugs so she could have sex with him (because all the ladies want to get with a fat middle-aged bald dude, amirite?) and everybody in the episode (including Homer) acted like it was consensual on both sides and therefore Homer was to blame for cheating on Marge. That was rape! It's not his fault, it's that other lady's fault for raping him!

And soon after he leaves Marge for his rapist and then there's some more soap-opera bullshit and it turns out the entire episode was a dream of Hannah Horvath's (Lena Dunham's character from Girls - she voiced the other woman). But it's the rape that clinches it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

people talk a lot of poo poo about that episode, but you don't always hear that they resorted to an "IT WAS ALL A DREAM" ending, which is one of the hackiest ways to end something

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

Honestly yeah, that's probably the first episode where I was like "what the gently caress was that". It was like one of the comedic x-files episodes but really didn't seem to fit the simpsons at all

Season 9 overall was when I first started wondering what the gently caress the show was doing. A lot of weird, not funny, misfires. It started with such promise, too. "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson" was an instant classic. No surprise the first 3 episodes were all produced by Al Jean and those were the best ones of the season.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

you'd be hearing more about Das Boat, or Lisa the Simpson, or the angel skeleton episode as being the start of the simpsons' decline if one of them switched their debut date with The Principal and the Pauper. i think the reason that episode gets a bad rap was because it debuted before all of the very flawed episodes, so it gets all the heat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

you'd be hearing more about Das Boat, or Lisa the Simpson, or the angel skeleton episode as being the start of the simpsons' decline if one of them switched their debut date with The Principal and the Pauper. i think the reason that episode gets a bad rap was because it debuted before all of the very flawed episodes, so it gets all the heat

That one and the New York episode get bad reps despite being excellent episodes and it's just not fair dangit