Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
See, here's a prime example of what I mentioned awhile back.

Accurate view of a problem: low level dungeons aren't that fun because they take awhile to do and we're missing really neat abilities.
Proposed solution to that problem: A crazy technical and convoluted balancing method that actively punishes you for going into low level dungeons by making your really neat abilities hit like a wet fart in order for actual new people to have any chance at experiencing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

people arent getting kicked now but they would start getting kicked if the disparity was suddenly made a million times worse

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Reiterpallasch posted:

this thread definitely gets snippier during us work hours and patch downtime, i love it

I'm sorry, it's Friday and I can feel my brain peeling away at the inside of my skull in a desperate bid at freedom.

Also I kinda like getting synced for the occasional baby dungeon, and I say that as someone who played Impulse Drive: The Class through Heavensward. It's nice to turn your brain off and just snooze through content once in a while.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Personally, as a big dense idiot, I get really angry when other people try to do my job.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

SettingSun posted:

It's fun to speculate. I think LLDR is fine, personally.

Yeah, I've got no issue with it myself. I wouldn't mind some rejiggering for everyone to have AoE stuff earlier but I'm not especially fussed either way.

To me, leveling roulette isn't some integral content for the enjoyment of the game. It's SE bribing players with bonus EXP/tomestones/etc. to get people to run dungeons for newer players. If people don't like playing the lower leveled stuff again then it just means the bribe isn't high enough.

In fact, increasing the roulette payout would be far more effective at getting people in lower leveled dungeons as well as dramatically less work (and more importantly, testing). I know I've had days where I look at Duty Finder and say "nope, 40%ish of a level is not enough to get me to chance Totorak, I'll just run [insert higher leveled dungeon that results in less EXP but is more fun based pn whichever class it is]".

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
[15:52][FC]<Haquer Tal> sid asked me to punch a moogle
[15:52][FC]<Haquer Tal> guess I'm going to do that
[15:52][FC]<Bacon Marmalade> how dare you
[15:52][FC]<Bacon Marmalade> moogles for life
[15:53][FC]<Haquer Tal>
[15:53][FC]<Stark Feuer> molgols are an abomination unto this world
[15:53][FC]<Bacon Marmalade> wow, so racist
[15:53][FC]<Diana Redclaw> you molgoloid
[15:54][FC]<Heckfire Cussman> i liked moogles in ff6 when they werent useless fluff things with non functioning limbs
[15:54][FC]<Regen Lordian> At least he didn't ask you to beat a baby moogle
[15:54][FC]<Stark Feuer> Same
[15:54][FC]<Regen Lordian> with another baby moogle

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fister Roboto posted:

Personally, as a big dense idiot, I get really angry when other people try to do my job.

I imagine you're always wagging your finger at the thread while posting, like your avatar

Not sure if that's a good or bad thing I just had to make the observation

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

I had a tank like this in Haukke manner the other day when I was getting DRG over the 60-61 hump. Was annoyed enough to say something at my pulling and handling of the succubus patrollers despite my being able to deal with them while taking no/negligible damage. I shrugged and let it slide.
Then did it again because the first one in the basement came up behind us and would have inconvenienced the healer for a moment if I hadn't obliterated it in the same amount of time. I like to hope that the message got across to that tank... Or alternatively they didn't notice.

That's my LLDR story of the day :colbert:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

maybe they'll put on vit accessories

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Reiterpallasch posted:

i dunno. you're not usually a bad poster so maybe i'm being too harsh on you or i don't understand what you want to do or this is a big huge miaunderstanding and i'm being a butt about it, but i don't think anyone else in this thread has a clear understanding of what you're trying to accomplish, either, in that case

Ehhh, I'd just *really* like to see not get 90% of my keys taken away if I get synced down too far, because I still run ldr regularly. GW2 made the system work, dungeons there level sync like here, but you keep all your skills and traits and poo poo. But people who get synced less, keep more of their stats, and people who don't get synced at all (or get synced up levels) but have anything resembling recent gear will have *higher* stats than you. It's still better to get a level synced person, but the difference is minimal enough that it absolutely doesn't matter, because the thing isn't tuned that way.

And again, I'm not saying they try this for raids and poo poo, or for skills beyond level 50 even. Potency curve goes bonkers post level 50, compared to 1-50 so I can see how that'd be a lot more of a pain to manage than be worth. I absolutely think it'd be worth if getting level synced, I didn't literally only have 3 button worth pressing up haukke/brayflox as most classes.

Also, the AOE issue, in my opinion, is a different problem altogether, and I agree with the thread here that they need to fix that poo poo asap.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Truga posted:

Ehhh, I'd just *really* like to see not get 90% of my keys taken away if I get synced down too far, because I still run ldr regularly. GW2 made the system work, dungeons there level sync like here, but you keep all your skills and traits and poo poo. But people who get synced less, keep more of their stats, and people who don't get synced at all (or get synced up levels) but have anything resembling recent gear will have *higher* stats than you. It's still better to get a level synced person, but the difference is minimal enough that it absolutely doesn't matter, because the thing isn't tuned that way.

I think GW2 isn't really too appropriate a comparison. Its small-group instanced content is a fairly small slice of the game, especially the stuff that scales you down, and everything else is open-world, where you're not really actively deciding who to group with at any point, or really coordinating or paying too much attention to what others are doing at all.

Believe me, I'd love to have all of my skills when scaled down. I'd love it. But I can understand why they don't do it. That said, if they're never going to, they really need to find a way to smooth out the curve for some jobs, because while every job is less fun at lower levels, some have it way worse than others.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That's why I think it's appropriate for ldr. You get matched with 3 randos, and it just about doesn't matter what they're doing. If it was any other content, I'd agree, but for <50 ldr? ehhhhh.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

90% of my problems with being synced down could be fixed by giving every DPS AOE at 15.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

WrightOfWay posted:

90% of my problems with being synced down could be fixed by giving every DPS AOE at 15.

You could give every class in the game AoE at level 1, and 80% of people still wouldn't use it.

(They should totally do that though)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, I could see the "it doesn't matter, it's lldr" argument blowing up in everyone's faces the next time a relic step requires level synced FATES or another Yokai Watch style event rolls around.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Truga posted:

GW2 made the system work,

GW2 should never be used as an example in how to do dungeons.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

GW2 should never be used as an example in how to do dungeons.

Which is why I haven't said that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

EponymousMrYar posted:

See, here's a prime example of what I mentioned awhile back.

Accurate view of a problem: low level dungeons aren't that fun because they take awhile to do and we're missing really neat abilities.
Proposed solution to that problem: A crazy technical and convoluted balancing method that actively punishes you for going into low level dungeons by making your really neat abilities hit like a wet fart in order for actual new people to have any chance at experiencing it.

Perhaps there is no way to solve the problem of low level dungeons not being fun to rerun because it just isn't fun to regularly run old content.

Aside from the four 1.0 dungeons, all the dungeons are various levels of good to great when leveling through them initially, but going back always sucks and I don't think there's a fix for it. (Nor does there necessarily need to be, aside from giving ASTs gravity at 50 instead of 52 :argh:)

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Anyone who says "it's LLDR it doesn't matter" forgets that the content in it is 80% of your group game until level 50. That last 20% has guildhests, FATEs no one does, and doing levequests as a party.

Those three are all punchlines in one or more ways, mind.

If you care at all about the game's health and having a steady stream of new players, then LLDR is something that matters a whole lot.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Truga posted:

Which is why I haven't said that.

Guild Wars 2 is a completely different system though. You have a limited skillset forever and there is no holy trinity when it comes to class roles. It's apples and oranges.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
gw2 dungeons were literally cleared with three buttons: a thief spamming stealth, your class spamming their auto attack, and the classes spamming their shield or survival ability. a level twelve class in ffxiv probably has as many buttons as a gw2 class.

also, lldrs are boring but if they're taking substantially longer than normal dungeons your poo poo is hosed.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i ended up in gubal hm the other day and nope, blasting from the second to third boss in a single megapull is still fun. god bless.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

LLDR is boring because it simulates leveling, an inherently boring experience. I never thought (lack of) aoe was a big deal. It would be a welcome addition to be sure, but not poo poo-must-be-fixed as it is.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Any expansion that truly fixes 1-49 will also be incredibly feature-sparse for veteran players so they're kinda hosed either way

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Trasson posted:

Anyone who says "it's LLDR it doesn't matter" forgets that the content in it is 80% of your group game until level 50. That last 20% has guildhests, FATEs no one does, and doing levequests as a party.

Those three are all punchlines in one or more ways, mind.

If you care at all about the game's health and having a steady stream of new players, then LLDR is something that matters a whole lot.

Personally, I think the argument moreso comes down to whether it is or isn't "fun"/"okay" for the system to take skills away from you when synced down and how you fix that.

I think the closest way to fix it is as Fister said: completely revamping the order and levels in which skills are distributed.

Perhaps it should be that by level 15, all classes should have enough skills to form a basic rotation, instead of situations like where lancers are a 2 button class for almost 30 levels. Maybe it should be that by level 15 you have 5-6 skills that can be used in a proper (if basic) rotation. But then you may end up with skill droughts where classes go 20+ levels without receiving new skills, or perhaps they only receive a new skill every 10 levels.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The easy thing to do would be to swap a skill gain on all classes to give them access to an aoe move sooner but one thing they've repeatedly clung to is not particularly liking AOE dungeon clearing so it's unlikely.

ASTs everywhere are very sad about this. (Including me.) But it isn't really that big of a deal.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

also, lldrs are boring but if they're taking substantially longer than normal dungeons your poo poo is hosed.

My lldrs are fast 99% of the time because I try to queue with aoe classes and then we pull 3-4 groups in tamtams or whatever and it's cleared in 12 minutes. I just very rarely queue for it solo now, because I know I'll get some lovely drgs, nins and monks <30 and then it's "spam <x> for 20 minutes", depending on which class I'm leveling.

So yeah, the main issue is aoe. Please fix yoship. Getting people familiar with it earlier can only be good.

mistaya posted:

The easy thing to do would be to swap a skill gain on all classes to give them access to an aoe move sooner but one thing they've repeatedly clung to is not particularly liking AOE dungeon clearing so it's unlikely.

I think it's less they don't like AOE and more they don't like big pulls. They keep making aoe for small pulls better, after all.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

Personally, I think the argument moreso comes down to whether it is or isn't "fun"/"okay" for the system to take skills away from you when synced down and how you fix that.

I think the closest way to fix it is as Fister said: completely revamping the order and levels in which skills are distributed.

Perhaps it should be that by level 15, all classes should have enough skills to form a basic rotation, instead of situations like where lancers are a 2 button class for almost 30 levels. Maybe it should be that by level 15 you have 5-6 skills that can be used in a proper (if basic) rotation. But then you may end up with skill droughts where classes go 20+ levels without receiving new skills, or perhaps they only receive a new skill every 10 levels.

They actually did fix Impulse Drive hell, specifically, with the Stormblood potency changes

Lancer is a three button class until 26

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
3 of us went in to sneak a lldr last night in dismal darkhold before the servers went down, we had 20 minutes and almost didn't make it because the ninja who joined us used a single target rotation on the first megapull where you grab like 25 mobs, then used death blossom on the boss.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

3 of us went in to sneak a lldr last night in dismal darkhold before the servers went down, we had 20 minutes and almost didn't make it because the ninja who joined us used a single target rotation on the first megapull where you grab like 25 mobs, then used death blossom on the boss.

Well, did you offer him any advice or did you just sit there and think "Heh, lovely pub ninja"?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
we did! my shitposter persona is only for this thread! like a year+ of experience teaches us all that your opinions are going to be garbage a priori, but people i meet through duty finder i've probably never met before!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

we did! my shitposter persona is only for this thread! like a year+ of experience teaches us all that your opinions are going to be garbage a priori, but people i meet through duty finder i've probably never met before!

Ah. Rip then.

I know that the thread likes to bash on the idea of pubbie players that are half brain dead and are hostile to any advice, but I've honestly rarely if ever met any like that.

Most just don't know any better and are very receptive to advice. A handful are just not very good and though they'll take your advice, it just won't help.

Majority of the hostile players I've met have been ones that are actually already at level cap, so they feel they already are perfect at their class and are immune to advice.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My experience with the extremely bad players in the starting three dungeons is complete silence when giving advice, and not changing their play

I assume a lot of them are children or non-English speakers

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
for the record, their response to advice was pretty hostile and something along the lines of "you try playing with a controller with a toddler on your lap," but honest to god, we tried

e: i've actually had really good response to advice from literal sprouts in the <20 dungeons, idk

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest I've basically met a genuinely terrible person in dungeons basically never. I mean in terms of bad mechanics I have but usually they either are receptive to advice or have a reason why they're doing poorly. (i.e: a newbie tank who is genuinely not comfortable with big pulls or a healer who doesn't feel they can keep up with it.) The salt only seems to exist in meaningful quantities in extreme/savage content.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Reiterpallasch posted:

for the record, their response to advice was pretty hostile and something along the lines of "you try playing with a controller with a toddler on your lap," but honest to god, we tried

Try this and report back.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Reiterpallasch posted:

i ended up in gubal hm the other day and nope, blasting from the second to third boss in a single megapull is still fun. god bless.

I spammed it to level sch from 60 to 61 and did an extra run just for fun, gubal hm is in my top 5 dungeons ever.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
maybe dont queue into instanced content in that case, idk

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

It absolutely would not be that easy.

SWTOR somehow manages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU