Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

mojo1701a posted:

I remember similar rumours regarding Israel with their birthright tours.

It's 100% true

But then again, you put any mass of 18-22 year olds together and they're bound to bump uglies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

ego symphonic posted:

Lots of schools recruit pretty young students to show the players around as part of the recruitment process and undoubtedly some of them also sleep with the players they're showing around. No athletic department would ever explicitly instruct them to do so, if only for fear of liability, but its not unreasonable to assume that's the intent of the whole process.

Clearly I visited the wrong colleges

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Not a Children posted:

It's 100% true

But then again, you put any mass of 18-22 year olds together and they're bound to bump uglies

I mean, the olympics.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Being beautiful and fit is GWM.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Hoodwinker posted:

Being beautiful and fit is GWM.

Unless you didn't start that way and had to work for it, then it's only NWM (neutral) because it takes a lot of time, work and money but probably pays off.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It greatly reduces medical bills later in life, so I'm guessing GWM in the end.

Unless it causes you to outlive your savings. In which case BWM.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

ego symphonic posted:

Lots of schools recruit pretty young students to show the players around as part of the recruitment process and undoubtedly some of them also sleep with the players they're showing around. No athletic department would ever explicitly instruct them to do so, if only for fear of liability, but its not unreasonable to assume that's the intent of the whole process.

My sister did this. She said it paid extremely well for basically no work. The position they hired her for was "social media and outreach" - she had to tweet one inspiring sports quote a week from the school football team's Twitter, and sometimes do tours or go to recruiting events to hand out flyers. But mostly stand there and look pretty. I don't believe she ever slept with a prospective student, though she said she definitely got the vibe that the football coach would basically have paid to just have pretty young women around him at all times.

They paid for for three hours a week of work, she said she averaged about 20m a week, with the rest of it just browsing Facebook or whatever while sitting in the sports department office. Being attractive is GWM.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Unless you didn't start that way and had to work for it, then it's only NWM (neutral) because it takes a lot of time, work and money but probably pays off.
I'd say it's still GWM even if you worked for it because the discipline you built is a net gain unless your next motivational outlet involves horses.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

canyoneer posted:

I looked on the Warhammer reddits to find threads about how much people have spent lifetime on Warhammer stuff. One guy said he estimates about $20k but that's been over the course of like 20 years and $1k/yr on hobbies doesn't seem that weird if you can afford it.

Magic: The Gathering is similarly BWM. When I played a few years ago most tournament quality decks were around $400 for the most popular format, and you need to drop a few hundred to keep current every 3 months when a new set comes out. Some of the formats involving older cards have decks costing several thousand dollars, and serious collectors can easily have collections worth tens of thousands. That's not even getting into the fact that there are foil and special edition cards that are much rarer, some of the big whales drop $10,000/year easy on new cards.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Konstantin posted:

Magic: The Gathering is similarly BWM. When I played a few years ago most tournament quality decks were around $400 for the most popular format, and you need to drop a few hundred to keep current every 3 months when a new set comes out. Some of the formats involving older cards have decks costing several thousand dollars, and serious collectors can easily have collections worth tens of thousands. That's not even getting into the fact that there are foil and special edition cards that are much rarer, some of the big whales drop $10,000/year easy on new cards.

How much for a performance horse deck?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I have a friend who literally has a hoard of about $20,000 in cases of Magic cards, that he plans to sell off as they reach a certain age at a profit. I have no idea how BWM this is or even if it's BWM but it feels like it should be.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

I have a friend who literally has a hoard of about $20,000 in cases of Magic cards, that he plans to sell off as they reach a certain age at a profit. I have no idea how BWM this is or even if it's BWM but it feels like it should be.

the only thing dumber than trying to time the stock market is trying to time the "goods with no actual value" market. see: beanie babies

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

No Butt Stuff posted:

the only thing dumber than trying to time the stock market is trying to time the "goods with no actual value" market. see: beanie babies

Tulips.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Konstantin posted:

I remember reading a while ago that some of those pay-to-win phone games are kept afloat entirely by a few players who dump thousands of dollars a week into them

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Nail Rat posted:

For what it's worth, magic cards have done very well, the random one expensive card I got in second grade is supposedly worth $600 now, which is better than the market has done in that time. (Without counting dividends because :effort:). It's the only collectible that has somehow genuinely appreciated at above-market rates. That...doesn't mean you should hold magic cards because they're gonna keep going up, but clearly it had more staying power than anyone would have credited it with in 1992.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

For what it's worth, magic cards have done very well, the random one expensive card I got in second grade is supposedly worth $600 now, which is better than the market has done in that time. (Without counting dividends because :effort:). It's the only collectible that has somehow genuinely appreciated at above-market rates. That...doesn't mean you should hold magic cards because they're gonna keep going up, but clearly it had more staying power than anyone would have credited it with in 1992.

Is that based on "the cost of one card then vs. now" or "the cost of how many packs of cards you had to buy average to get the one rare card vs. now"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Konstantin posted:

I don't understand how this makes for a fun game.

One of my BWM tendencies is (car) racing. There are classes with very strict rules on modifications and the like exactly because every class would turn into "who spent the most money" being like 75% of the criteria for winning.

Sure, there are the top end unrestricted classes for each type of racing and while a lot of fun to watch........no thanks. I'll stick with a class where we run $1500 cars with about double that in safety gear.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Motronic posted:

The fun game is called consumerism, give it a whirl sometime

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

The fun game is called consumerism, give it a whirl sometime

I can't afford to compete in that game as well as retire.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Motronic posted:

One of my BWM tendencies is (car) racing. There are classes with very strict rules on modifications and the like exactly because every class would turn into "who spent the most money" being like 75% of the criteria for winning.

Sure, there are the top end unrestricted classes for each type of racing and while a lot of fun to watch........no thanks. I'll stick with a class where we run $1500 cars with about double that in safety gear.
It doesn't, in my eyes. Games can be BWM if your wallet even thinks about a Steam Summer Sale or a board game convention, but the great thing about non-collectibles is that you pay for the entire experience up front. Everything you need is right there in the box/exe. Growing up, I used to enjoy MTG, and I guess from a gameplay level I still do, but I have zero interest in paying for part of a set. Just give me the whole thing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Is that based on "the cost of one card then vs. now" or "the cost of how many packs of cards you had to buy average to get the one rare card vs. now"
The cost of one card then vs now. I was a second grader (who had my mom) buying packs to play the card game with, not to store for 25 years. If you were "investing"(lol) you'd either buy the cards you wanted directly, or leave the packs sealed rather than buy and open packs.

Nowadays if I was gonna play magic, I'd just use "counterfeit" cards, there's no point in paying more than ink costs for them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The former. I know way too much about this so you're getting an effortpost!

It's a bunch of factors:
Legitimate supply and demand at work on the stuff from 1993 (there were only ever 1,100 copies of each rare from the first print run, and something like 50,000 total across every printing of them.)
Also supply crunches on a fair number of other older cards that people didn't realize were good at the time (thinking like Lion's Eye Diamond - that thing was trash for the first ten years it existed to the point that people actively complained to the makers of the game... and turns out it's actually insane.) so many copies weren't preserved, whether damaged or lost.
A couple really big increases in player population (Tournament player population doubled 2008-2013 but we don't have public numbers beyond that.)

That said, a fair chunk of more recent stuff has doubled in price even since 2010, which is as far back as the best price-graph website I know goes. Spiked higher on and off, but I'm talking "right now, being sold for twice as much as it was seven years ago", so even taking a haircut to sell to a dealer you'd end up making 10% a year or something. Graphs that all look like this:

You just have to be psychic and buy only those cards :v:

(Sure, they're all cards I wouldn't have laughed at you for buying in 2010, but there are also a lot of others that just went nowhere and if you only bought the ones that seemed good in 2010 you would have missed a lot as well. Don't invest in Magic: the Gathering cards as an investment vehicle.)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Motronic posted:

There are different classes/formats in Magic The Gathering too. But as it turns out, the thing that people play most is the rolling rotation format where only the last 2-3 years of releases are legal. Expensive cards are a way of life there, but the $20,000 first printing cards aren't legal there.

There's also a format of collectible card game where there are no blind boosters, and you just buy whatever expansion you feel like (biggest example is Netrunner: Android).

Within hobby games, just like any other hobby, there are ways to spend a lot of money (MtG, Warhammer) or ways to spend comparatively a lot less (Netrunner, X-Wing, Game of Thrones, board games)

Or you could buy the greatest value in boardgaming from a $/hour perspective, Campaign for North Africa
http://warisboring.com/the-wretched-excess-of-the-campaign-for-north-africa/

quote:

It’s hard to exaggerate The Campaign for North Africa‘s reputation for being complicated. It might be the most intimidating tabletop game ever put to print, and it is without question the most demanding of all old-school wargames.

We can only barely describe its scale. But for starters, here’s a comparison. A typical game of Monopoly takes between 60 and 90 minutes. Axis & Allies goes for about three hours. The monstrous 1979 wargame The Longest Day can take 100 hours.

The Campaign for North Africa takes 50 days … without breaks. And you need 10 players. If you and nine friends play it as a full-time job for eight hours per day for five days a week, you’re looking at 30 weeks.
Split the $200 cost 10 ways, everyone's looking at $20 for 1,200 hours of play.
What a bargain!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The former. I know way too much about this so you're getting an effortpost!

It's a bunch of factors:
Legitimate supply and demand at work on the stuff from 1993 (there were only ever 1,100 copies of each rare from the first print run, and something like 50,000 total across every printing of them.)
Also supply crunches on a fair number of other older cards that people didn't realize were good at the time (thinking like Lion's Eye Diamond - that thing was trash for the first ten years it existed to the point that people actively complained to the makers of the game... and turns out it's actually insane.) so many copies weren't preserved, whether damaged or lost.
A couple really big increases in player population (Tournament player population doubled 2008-2013 but we don't have public numbers beyond that.)

That said, a fair chunk of more recent stuff has doubled in price even since 2010, which is as far back as the best price-graph website I know goes. Spiked higher on and off, but I'm talking "right now, being sold for twice as much as it was seven years ago", so even taking a haircut to sell to a dealer you'd end up making 10% a year or something. Graphs that all look like this:

You just have to be psychic and buy only those cards :v:

(Sure, they're all cards I wouldn't have laughed at you for buying in 2010, but there are also a lot of others that just went nowhere and if you only bought the ones that seemed good in 2010 you would have missed a lot as well. Don't invest in Magic: the Gathering cards as an investment vehicle.)
To add onto this: interestingly, collectibles (not specifically MTG) are talked about in relation to your overall asset allocation in the book, "All About Asset Allocation." If I recall, they say you don't want to invest in any collectible asset solely for its appreciable value, but primarily because you appreciate the asset or the act of collecting it. It's not an outrageous thing to consider in the grand scheme, but seeking it out as an investment vehicle definitely is.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
A buddy of mine traded his Mirror Universe card for a heavily-used small-form sectional sofa. This was a dorm trade about twenty years ago.

I still have a huge collection of Revised hiding somewhere in my parents' house.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I remember reading a while ago that some of those pay-to-win phone games are kept afloat entirely by a few players who dump thousands of dollars a week into them

It's not quite that bad, but many F2P games are only an inch above mobile phone gambling.

TL-DR; 50% of a normal F2P game's revenue comes from "Whales", which make up about 1% of the entire player population. A typical whale spends $200-$500 over the lifetime of the game, mostly by making dozens of $20 purchases without realizing how BWM they have become.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 21, 2017

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The thing about original Magic cards would be that to accurately model the collectible expected return, you should include the other collectible card games of the period of then similar popularity, as you wouldn't really know beforehand that Magic would be the one to take off, while your rare Pokemon cards are worth about as much as Beanie Babies.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

crazypeltast52 posted:

The thing about original Magic cards would be that to accurately model the collectible expected return, you should include the other collectible card games of the period of then similar popularity, as you wouldn't really know beforehand that Magic would be the one to take off, while your rare Pokemon cards are worth about as much as Beanie Babies.
Of course, though magic was the first one and has always been the most popular one. The real question was whether CCGs would be alive at all - the format is, uhh, "sticky" enough that I think magic was gonna remain top dog as long as the hobby did.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

crazypeltast52 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_collectible_card_games#Games_by_release

Yep.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6oolsx/nwm_term_80_and_adjustable_comp_life_pretty_sure/

NWM term 80 and adjustable comp life - pretty sure we're getting ripped a new one (self.personalfinance)
submitted 7 hours ago by CheesePatrol

quote:

Back story: Friend convinced my wife to talk to this "financial advisor" she dealt with. Lady came by to talk to us, but all she did was hawk NWM products and didn't provide much in terms of financial advise besides telling us to throw any leftover money at our mortgage and make sure to keep up with our IRA / 401k contributions.
Long story short, it all sounded nice on paper (she made it seem like it was more of a "savings" account than life insurance) and my wife signed us up for whatever she was selling, which we thought was supposed to include a 529 plan for our daughter. Well, those premiums are $1900 a month for term 80 plan and adjustable comprehensive life for each of us plus a comprehensive life plan for our daughter (she's 2). I feel like we've been had and are throwing away money. This is partly my fault as I did not do my research after this lady talked to us. Stupid.
Our financial situation is currently excellent: savings account is very healthy as is my IRA and my wife's 401k. We have no student debt, cars are all paid off, and we just have a mortgage to worry about.
Right now we've paid a bit over $15k in premiums this year (have had this since December of last year). Don't know how much we'll lose if we ditch it right now. Should we go ahead and put an end to all this mess and just deal with the losses?
I want to get us out of this ASAP if it truly is a bad deal and based on what I've read during the past day, we're not getting our money's worth.
When I was in school I went to an interview for an internship with Northwestern Mutual. They were recruiting at an event in the business school.
I knew something was up when it was the most softball interview I've ever had, with just 2 questions, and then she handed me a folder with a big blank list and said "your homework before the second interview is to make a list of friends and family members who you would like to tell about your internship"
I chuckled and walked out leaving the paper behind.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

No Butt Stuff posted:

Legacy magic cards hold value surprisingly well, seeing if the price on dual lands will continue to go up is not a bad idea given he almost assuredly did not pay multiple hundreds of dollars for them when he got them

Don't invest in magic or comics though

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 22, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also Campaign for North Africa literally has a rule that says Italian troops must be allocated one additional unit of water each

For boiling pasta

I love it

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also Campaign for North Africa literally has a rule that says Italian troops must be allocated one additional unit of water each

For boiling pasta

I love it

Better yet, apparently your troops fall to pieces without their pasta which would be a hilarious way to lose the game.

quote:

Furthermore, Italian battalions not receiving their Pasta Point that have a Cohesion Level of -10 or worse immediately become Disorganized, as if they had reached -26. As soon as such units get their Pasta Point,they regain the original cohesion level(i.e., the level they had before they disintegrated.)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

For boiling pasta

I love it

:discourse:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

How Subprime Car Loans Are Ruining Lives And Repeating The Mistakes Of The Housing Crisis

http://jalopnik.com/how-subprime-car-loans-are-ruining-lives-and-repeating-1796893288

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GamingHyena posted:

Better yet, apparently your troops fall to pieces without their pasta which would be a hilarious way to lose the game.

one time i almost convinced my hilariously BWM manager who loves board games to buy a copy on ebay so that we could film our attempt to complete a playthrough

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Motronic posted:

How Subprime Car Loans Are Ruining Lives And Repeating The Mistakes Of The Housing Crisis

http://jalopnik.com/how-subprime-car-loans-are-ruining-lives-and-repeating-1796893288
I've brought this up before and I'll bring it up again: the next great crisis won't be real estate or auto loans, it'll be phone/electronics loans. It's gonna be tech-noir as hell.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hoodwinker posted:

I've brought this up before and I'll bring it up again: the next great crisis won't be real estate or auto loans, it'll be phone/electronics loans. It's gonna be tech-noir as hell.

I don't doubt you on this, but will that have as much impact? I mean, those things are much lower cost so I'd think the number of units would have to be astronomical to have the same mass effect. Is there any research/articles on this? Sounds like prime BWM thread reading.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Motronic posted:

I don't doubt you on this, but will that have as much impact? I mean, those things are much lower cost so I'd think the number of units would have to be astronomical to have the same mass effect. Is there any research/articles on this? Sounds like prime BWM thread reading.
I was thinking about that. I think it'll be less about defaulting and more about overvaluing the securitization that's already happening with phone contracts, and then meltdown by sheer volume. The securities based around this are still new-ish, so I think it's going to be a bit before it's got a serious impact.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Really? Phone contracts are usually two years at zero interest. I’m not sure if you can over leverage or securitize that in a bad way. The principal is being paid down at too fast a rate to stay risky.

Also cell phones are one of the few products that even poor people can get without the usual poor person tax. A $200 Motorola isn’t as good as a $1000 iPhone, but it’s not $800 worse either. This keeps their financial exposure less than say...student loans, lovely car loans, or subprime mortgages.

But I guess we can’t underestimate a bank’s ability to take a relatively safe bet and make it risky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Many poors do not skimp on electronics.

Look at this guy's gaming rig.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/l...those-who-dont/

E: Good article too.