Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Catberry posted:

I looked it up. "Dawn of the Jedi - Into the Void" Was what I was thinking of.

Well, the way you described it could have also applied to Traitor, where Jacen learns from bird woman Vergere that she thinks light and dark are a load of crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skoll posted:

Counterpoint : Legacy of the Force was decent. Troy Denning is a forever shitler, but at least it was a good portrayal of how growing up in constant wars can and will gently caress someone up.

I don't think it was supposed to be "fun", if you think it's too depressing you're probably missing the point altogether.

That being said the new EU books are geared towards Young Adults so will probably be more this threads speed.

I'm not sure what you think Young Adult books are but 'depressing book about hosed up children' is like 3/4ths of the genre.

Like these days Hunger Games + Hunger Games knockoffs are common as hell, Harry Potter goes from child boarding school to systemic racism and violence in the system and half the cast being maimed or dying, or when I was growing up I read a YA series that ended up with the protagonist being accused of war crimes in the Hague after he murdered prisoners.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 21, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure what you think Young Adult books are but 'depressing book about hosed up children' is like 3/4ths of the genre.

Like these days Hunger Games + Hunger Games knockoffs are common as hell, Harry Potter goes from child boarding school to systemic racism and violence in the system and half the cast being maimed or dying, or when I was growing up I read a YA series that ended up with the protagonist being accused of war crimes in the Hague after he murdered prisoners.

Animorphs was kinda hosed up in retrospect

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

StashAugustine posted:

Animorphs was kinda hosed up in retrospect

Animorphs was supposed to be, though, according to the author. She said in an interview that she wanted readers to ask by the end whether the Animorphs were good people when all is said and done, and whether it was worth it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I only ever read the first Harry Potter in like sixth grade and that was it. Thought it was lame and never really paid attention to it after that.

Never read or saw the Hunger Games so :shrug:.

Animorphs was kinda hosed up yea, and may have led to people being furries now that I think of it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skoll posted:

Animorphs was kinda hosed up yea, and may have led to people being furries now that I think of it.

Nah, that's down to either Disney's Robin Hood or Gadget from Rescue Rangers. :v:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm reading aftermath now. I like it. It's nice to not focus on the usual cast all book

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Catberry posted:

I looked it up. "Dawn of the Jedi - Into the Void" Was what I was thinking of.
A pretty decent book. I wish they'd ok'd more books in tbmhe even further back than KOTOR setting.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

A pretty decent book. I wish they'd ok'd more books in tbmhe even further back than KOTOR setting.

Like back when lightsabers had battery packs?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I can't lie, still have a soft spot for the janky old KJA Tales of the Jedi comics.

And the even jankier audio drama.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

I can't lie, still have a soft spot for the janky old KJA Tales of the Jedi comics.

And the even jankier audio drama.
They tell a pretty cool and epic story. Unfortunately they're abridged as gently caress.

"Here's all three pages of that war, it's over now!"

They should have commissioned some novels that told the same story on the scope it deserved.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

From what I remember, the novel late in the EU with Jaden from Jedi Academy began during the TOTJ era, with a Sith ship fighting in the war that then got frozen in carbonite or something until the LOTF era.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Some book news:

https://twitter.com/delreystarwars/status/888486990223597568

https://twitter.com/delreystarwars/status/888485027498999808

https://twitter.com/theswu/status/888486206253694977

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/888486430309089280

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 21, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Good to see Jason fry get named there. His warfare guide is excellent.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

[url=https://twitter.com/delreystarwars/status/888486990223597568]Zahn's Thrawn novel from earlier in the year is getting adapted into a comic.
Well now that's what I'm most excited for.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That's awesome about Jason Fry doing the TLJ novelization. That's going to be a must read.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress is Coboult Squadron?

Bring back the Wraiths.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/888518381489582080

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Full list of new books and covers.

I've got my sights on the Art book.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Welp. Looks like I'll be spending entirely too much money on Star Wars books again.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Art Of books are always good, I'll definitely be getting that.

Interesting that the stormtrooper book is now part of Journey to TLJ. I think it was first announced even before TFA came out. Looking it up on Wookieepedia, at least according to them it's going to include stuff from both the old EU and the new EU, which seems to be a first.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Legend of Luke Skywalker cover reminds me of the old Star Wars story time kids books.

The Stormie book looks interesting.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Casimir Radon posted:

My only issue was that as a first time reader of the extreme "back then" is that I was about 75% through it before I understood what was going on.

Things like the metal sword. Anti-hero Jedi killing and torturing people. Using force fleshcrafting powers on people while they were still alive confused me a lot.

Then there was stuff like her talking to Siths like it was no big deal.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

gently caress y'all. Aftermath is good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

RC Cola posted:

gently caress y'all. Aftermath is good.

It can be. It can also be the worst.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

It can be. It can also be the worst.

I'm at the last 30 pages of book 1. I like how it shows the unrest of the galaxy post death star 2. Also sinjir is cool

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

RC Cola posted:

I'm at the last 30 pages of book 1. I like how it shows the unrest of the galaxy post death star 2. Also sinjir is cool

Sinjir is indeed very cool, and only gets cooler in the next two books. But, without going into spoilers, the overall story isn't great, and is occasionally very dumb, and the present tense was distracting. The interludes go back and forth between, "Awesome!" and, "...what the gently caress are we doing here?" And phrases like, "it zigzags herkily-jerkily out of sight" are like nails on a chalk board to me.

Glad you're enjoying it, though! You've got lots of awesome Sinjir stuff to come.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Sinjir is indeed very cool, and only gets cooler in the next two books. But, without going into spoilers, the overall story isn't great, and is occasionally very dumb, and the present tense was distracting. The interludes go back and forth between, "Awesome!" and, "...what the gently caress are we doing here?" And phrases like, "it zigzags herkily-jerkily out of sight" are like nails on a chalk board to me.

Glad you're enjoying it, though! You've got lots of awesome Sinjir stuff to come.

After these three what else should I read of new canon? I finished thrawn already. Is the novelization of VII any good?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RC Cola posted:

Is the novelization of VII any good?

Sorry for the off topic, but am I the only person who found the novelization of I way better than the movie?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Skoll posted:

Sorry for the off topic, but am I the only person who found the novelization of I way better than the movie?

The phantom menace? Because yeah I liked the novelization of 1-3 a bunch. Never read 4-6

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Skoll posted:

I haven't read it since the movie came out to see if it holds up, but child-me was definitely visualizing something a lot better than what we got on screen, yeah.

Also, I thought that all of the Gungans looked like Boss Nass and were badass warriors.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RC Cola posted:

The phantom menace? Because yeah I liked the novelization of 1-3 a bunch. Never read 4-6

I have/had a huge leatherbound book of the novelizations of 4-6 that was made in the mid/early 90s. When Red Squadron was originally Blue Squadron.

I only read the Phantom Menace novel of the prequel trilogy though and it improved on that poo poo movie so much. I couldn't imagine anything would make AOTC better, and I actually enjoyed ROTS but I'm in the minority. If you can ignore the cringe dialogue, William's score for that movie is absolutely amazing and probably the best one out of all six.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Skoll posted:

I have/had a huge leatherbound book of the novelizations of 4-6 that was made in the mid/early 90s. When Red Squadron was originally Blue Squadron.

I only read the Phantom Menace novel of the prequel trilogy though and it improved on that poo poo movie so much. I couldn't imagine anything would make AOTC better, and I actually enjoyed ROTS but I'm in the minority. If you can ignore the cringe dialogue, William's score for that movie is absolutely amazing and probably the best one out of all six.

RotS isn't terrible, but its novelization is still head and shoulders above the film itself.

Darth Plagueis is basically Palpatine's backstory and then a novelization of TPM from his point of view, too. It's really good.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

RotS isn't terrible, but its novelization is still head and shoulders above the film itself.

Darth Plagueis is basically Palpatine's backstory and then a novelization of TPM from his point of view, too. It's really good.

I've actually never read those KOTOR timeline books like Darth Bane, or even Darth Plageuis ( which I know isnt KOTOR time ). I think I'll have to check those out now though, and ROTS's novel.

Thanks.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

RC Cola posted:

After these three what else should I read of new canon? I finished thrawn already. Is the novelization of VII any good?

I haven't read it, so I can't say. I'll repost myself from earlier for recommendations with a few updates (minus the Aftermath bit since you've read it).

Lost Stars by Claudia Gray
Fantastic book, and should probably be your first entry point to the new EU. It's considered Young Adult, but in the same way things like Hunger Games is considered YA. And let's not kid ourselves, we're reading Star Wars books, nothing here is dark and gritty adult literature. It focuses on a young girl and boy when one enters the Empire and one the Rebellion, but try to maintain their connection. It takes place during the original trilogy, and has them interacting or observing events from those films. It's widely considered (at least around here) to be the best the new EU has given so far.

Bloodline by Claudia Gray
Same author as above, and about Leia much closer in the timeline to TFA than I think any other book out yet. Heavy on politics, but done in a gripping way. I thought it was great, but definitely light on the PEW PEW.

Lords of the Sith by Paul S. Kemp
Opinions on this book are hit or miss, but I really enjoyed it. It's a bit more Vader as a force of destruction, if you're into that kind of thing, and a look into the galaxy under the Empire.

A New Dawn by John Jackson Miller
Do you watch Rebels? If so, read this book. It's a fun, if someone forgettable, backstory for Kanan and Hera, and has a decent story involving Kessel. I liked it, but it's nothing ground breaking. If you don't watch Rebels, there's probably not much here for you.

Heir to the Jedi by Kevin Hearne
Luke Skywalker story taking place between ANH and ESB. I swear I read this book, and I think I liked it, but I barely remember anything about it.

Tarkin by James Luceno
This is a bad book. Do not read this book. It's billed as Tarkin, as he oversees the construction of the Death Star, putting down revolutionaries, but it keeps cutting back to boring moments of young Tarkin hunting or something. As in, "Tarkin listened to the man, but couldn't help being reminded of his youth when," and then boring flashback scene. Happens a lot. Bad book. That being said, some people in this thread enjoyed it, so they can post about what they got out of it.

Catalyst by James Luceno
Was pretty dull to me, like it felt like the author was told, "Get us to Rogue One, but don't color outside the box."

Someone else can chime in on the ones I haven't read. Oh, and if you're into comics, check out the Darth Vader comic line Marvel has out. It's great.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Does Tarkin have Daala in it, or is she consigned to the old EU garbage heap forever?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Skoll posted:

I've actually never read those KOTOR timeline books like Darth Bane, or even Darth Plageuis ( which I know isnt KOTOR time ). I think I'll have to check those out now though, and ROTS's novel.

Thanks.

Darth Bane is a really bad video game in novel form, I would just read the summary in the old Let's Read thread.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Skoll posted:

Does Tarkin have Daala in it, or is she consigned to the old EU garbage heap forever?

Daala has yet to reappear in the new EU.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

thrawn527 posted:

Bloodline by Claudia Gray
Same author as above, and about Leia much closer in the timeline to TFA than I think any other book out yet. Heavy on politics, but done in a gripping way. I thought it was great, but definitely light on the PEW PEW.

This book is worth it alone for the status-quo-changing revelation that the galactic public finds out that Vader is Leia's (and by extension Luke's) father and how that affects her political career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Anyone read Inferno Squad yet? Twilight company was pretty fun, I'm hoping Inferno will be more of that, except with the empire.