Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cucked so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
and every trumoe you make
Grimey Drawer

Vladimir Putin posted:

Can a person be simultaneously a judge and a defendant in a court case? Answer is no. QED.

He's the president, not a judge. Turns it being president is better.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
piss tape is real

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Ekster posted:

seriously lmao if you still believe republicans are capable of doing anything

failure is a thing :colbert:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Al! posted:

piss tape is real

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

do you think bannon gave reince's leg a nice squeeze to amp him up before confronting the mooch?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
"Do it? Robert, I'm not a James Bond villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I pardoned myself thirty-five minutes ago."

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Scaramucci/status/295700099131117568

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ex post facho posted:

go ahead tell me where it says he cant idiot

tell me where it says he can

also spoilers: pardoning isnt actually the get out of jail free card it seems to be

you can be made to answer some Questions

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

he can only not pardon himself if articles of impeachment are passed and that's it

Here, this Vox article does a really good job of explaining what Trump can do and what is the legal gray area that could cause a constitutional crisis.

All the experts agreed that even a Presidential Pardon doesn't stop an investigation. My opinion is it probably makes the investigation, especially by Congress, even more necessary.

radical meme has issued a correction as of 22:34 on Jul 21, 2017

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

GobiasIndustries posted:

Almost all the reporters in attendance.

Im am very disappointed.

:rip: spicey boy, aborted just as the third trimester kicked in

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Raskolnikov38 posted:

he can only not pardon himself if articles of impeachment are passed and that's it

And it is likely possible he can pardon himself for whatever he gets impeached for.

Basically, let's say he did in fact help Putin hack into voter registration rolls, and remove democratic voters in Wisconsin and PA. Obviously a crime, obviously guilty.

He can then pardon himself and he will never face any criminal charges for the act. Congress would still impeach and the Senate would still remove. But impeaching and removing a president doesn't make him a criminal by itself.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Yinlock posted:

Article II Section 2

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cut from the same cloth

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

he can't pardon for state crimes, and he has a whole lot of financial fraud wrapped up in new york which hates him

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

It owns that Trump may try to pardon himself and cause a constitutional crisis

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

%klliillk

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Yinlock posted:

also spoilers: pardoning isnt actually the get out of jail free card it seems to be

you can be made to answer some Questions
this only matters in a situation where, say, robert meuller comes out and says "i 100% believe that donald trump obstructed justice and committed treason and should be tried as such"

but clearly that would never happen because trump is innocent and is not at all concerned with potentially pardoning himself for having committed crimes

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

rear end cobra posted:

Im am very disappointed.

:rip: spicey boy, aborted just as the third trimester kicked in

I lolled at worked seeing the Fox News announcement about Spicer "resigning" from the job.

Maybe he can find work as a shrubbery hiding consultant.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Corny posted:

there is nothing loving more stupid than DC pundits congratulating SHS for becoming press-secretary

gently caress off you spineless cretins, she will lie to the faces of you and the american people every single day, quit being poo poo-eating bootlickers
literally the worst news out of this admin yet :sad:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TRUMP!

%klliillk

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Reality Winner posted:

if people were mad at Ford pardoning nixon and obama not prosecuting bush, trump pardoning himself and family is going to end american democracy

there would definitely be marches in big cities that wouldn't actually accomplish anything

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

the bitcoin of weed posted:

missed opportunity to use pissflaps in a biologically relevant sentence

hey its pissflaps

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

TwoStepBoog posted:

It owns that Trump may try to pardon himself and cause a constitutional crisis

:smugdon:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
the only federal authority that can bring charges against the president while he's in office is Congress

it doesn't matter if he issues a pardon for himself or not

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

etalian posted:

I lolled at worked seeing the Fox News announcement about Spicer "resigning" from the job.

Maybe he can find work as a shrubbery hiding consultant.
rest well , sweet n spicy prince ~~~

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Reality Winner posted:

if people were mad at Ford pardoning nixon and obama not prosecuting bush, trump pardoning himself and family is going to end american democracy

you vastly underestimate how much the american people love doing nothing about horrible crisises

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

TRUMP!

%klliillk

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

this is alot funnier now

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

ShutteredIn posted:

there would definitely be marches in big cities that wouldn't actually accomplish anything

yeah this

it would take riots in white suburbia by white people for anything to matter

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

cams posted:

this only matters in a situation where, say, robert meuller comes out and says "i 100% believe that donald trump obstructed justice and committed treason and should be tried as such"

but clearly that would never happen because trump is innocent and is not at all concerned with potentially pardoning himself for having committed crimes

you're right, as long as donald j trump didn't commit any crimes then he's in the clear

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The piss tape is really hitting the mainstream zeitgeist

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Yinlock posted:

you vastly underestimate how much the american people love doing nothing about horrible crisises

no you dumbass cucknadian we dont do nothin, we do the wrong thing :smugdog:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gringostar posted:

yeah this

it would take riots in white suburbia by white people for anything to matter

Things can happen without the express approval of the Republican base. Nixon had almost 70% approval rating among Republicans right before he stepped down.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Joementum posted:

the only federal authority that can bring charges against the president while he's in office is Congress

this is also why discussing trump "pardoning himself out of trouble" is dumb. trump pardoning himself would make nothing go away, but it would keep him from being convicted from literal crimes he committed.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Joementum posted:

if mueller comes out and says trump did a treason before midterms but ryan refuses to bring charges, could democrats still do it after midterms if they take back the house?

(lol about dems taking back poo poo ever again)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

also Trump can't pardon himself from state level crimes and if the scenario is that he facilitated a state with a Democratic governor having its voter rolls altered he's still able to be sued by them

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Corny posted:

there is nothing loving more stupid than DC pundits congratulating SHS for becoming press-secretary

gently caress off you spineless cretins, she will lie to the faces of you and the american people every single day, quit being poo poo-eating bootlickers

they gave her a round of applause

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
welp +1 against health care debate, Paul's actually got a shot of listening and not voting yes, even if the reason is completely insane and unfathomable

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gringostar posted:

if mueller comes out and says trump did a treason before midterms but ryan refuses to bring charges, could democrats still do it after midterms if they take back the house?

(lol about dems taking back poo poo ever again)

The bad dems are completely incompetent, they are the political equivalent of the Mark Sanchez butt fumble.

• Locked thread