Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Novasol posted:

About that, I've been streaming it, so, :negative:

Okay, then, how entertaining is your continued misery vs. just playing another game? :v:

Maybe change your criteria so that in exceptional circumstances you can put a game aside and come back to it after x number of games? That way you're not technically abandoning it, and maybe in the meantime you can practice it off the stream and see if you can't figure out a new strategy that works.

Edit: If it's truly impossible, find an entertaining Game Genie code that makes it winnable.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

Okay, then, how entertaining is your continued misery vs. just playing another game? :v:

Maybe change your criteria so that in exceptional circumstances you can put a game aside and come back to it after x number of games? That way you're not technically abandoning it, and maybe in the meantime you can practice it off the stream and see if you can't figure out a new strategy that works.

Yeah, it's getting shelved for now.

I rolled Family Dog before that. I'm incredulous that my day got worse after that. At least that game is easy and short to make up for how terrible it is.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Novasol posted:

tennis hell

Similarly, I recently took a dip into World Court Tennis for the TG-16, because I love the RPG mode in Final Lap Twin and this game has one, too, but my god. Either I'm bad at this particular incarnation of video game tennis (which is possible) or there's something I'm missing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Novasol posted:

I guess what I'm asking for is this:
1) What would you do when confronted with this scenario and needing to come up with a completion criteria for this game?

You should probably have a look at The Mexican Runner's go-over of every NES game.

http://themexicanrunner.com/

On top of a stream of him playing the game and some other information, he does stipulate what his completion criteria is for each game, which could give you some ideas, as his criteria isn't necessarily doing everything in a game.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

univbee posted:

You should probably have a look at The Mexican Runner's go-over of every NES game.

http://themexicanrunner.com/

On top of a stream of him playing the game and some other information, he does stipulate what his completion criteria is for each game, which could give you some ideas, as his criteria isn't necessarily doing everything in a game.

I was just looking at that. I think "Winning tournament mode" is probably the best way to go about this. I have no idea what, if anything, triggers an "ending," since information on this game literally does not exist.

Going to have to practice in my off time. I'm going to designate Thursdays as the days I revisit awful games that, for whatever reason, I need to shelf.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Link to your stream, I wanna see this

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Link to your stream, I wanna see this

twitch.tv/novasol

Nothing but net.
Notes:
1) I'd gotten up to make a sandwich, to see if it would be done netballing by the time I got back. It wasn't.
2) I turned on song request because there's no music in matches.
3) I was really, really not happy.

Also I just noticed the game info is wrong :negative:

Novasol fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 21, 2017

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

In order to make the goal at least somewhat attainable I'd at least use save states or rewind. Some games from that era are just borderline impossible without a hell of a time investment.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

I actually put Combat in front of a couple kids in the recent past and they were intrigued and had some fun with it.

Combat is literally what the system was designed to play and as a result it is still a terrific game. The modes are what really makes it fun since all the funky ways to play are pretty cool. It's the original deathmatch! :v:

Novasol posted:

I guess what I'm asking for is this:
1) What would you do when confronted with this scenario and needing to come up with a completion criteria for this game?
2) Does ANYONE know some sort of strategy for this game?

It seems like everybody has decided to completely beat a release set for a system. I know I've been kicking around the idea of doing that with a smaller game set like TG-16 or Master System. The big stumbling block and the thing that makes it sound like, "This isn't going to be as much fun as I want," is those drat sports games. Even terrible licensed games are more interesting than sports games. Playing an incredibly lovely sports game for forty hours? Shoot me now.

As for your particular situation: you need the game's manual. I can't find one online and I'm sure you've tried. Wikipedia, of course, claims that you play 52 weeks and you might be able to do that win or lose. However, the easiest and most direct solution is right on your configuration screen: championship. I'd say win the championship is sufficient to say "You win". Turn down the difficulty to beginner and push through.

That said, sometimes things are going to be so bad that going and playing something else for a while might be a better choice.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I bought a few SNES translation repros (Terranigma, SD3, Star Ocean), and the save batteries in a couple seem to be faltering. I've got a few replacement battery holders on the way so I can do the standard desolder/resolder, but is there anything I have to watch out for in these bootlegs when it comes to replacing batteries?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FINALLY someone in my area threw out a CRT TV.

It only has RF input. :negative:

Eh, gently caress it.

And I got a Zapper for $9 CAD from a local pawn shop which works great, for Super Russian Roulette goodness.

Now I think that NES needs modding for the extra sound channels.

And I have to say, man it is weird going back to near-zero latency input after like a decade of pretty much exclusively gaming on a modern TV set, to the point where I have to re-adjust my control methods because now I'm hitting things prematurely.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Charles Get-Out posted:

I've thought about getting a 2600 again just to have a dedicated Berzerk machine.
Get a Vectrix then. Berzerk of the Vectrix is sub $40 and Vector beats Raster.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Anyone ever use the Mayflash NES/SNES/FC/SFC Controller Adapter for Wii & Wii U?
https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-NES-SNES-Controller-Adapter/dp/B00B2K0C8M

Like I said I'm looking for something will allow a USB controller to work for a Wii or an adapter for the original controllers.
That adapter is notorious for shipping with out the pin adapter for the NES.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

fastbilly1 posted:

Get a Vectrix then. Berzerk of the Vectrix is sub $40 and Vector beats Raster.

But the 2600/Berzerk combo is maybe $50, I like all the pretty colors, and all of my ability to play Berzerk is tied to the 2600 joystick.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fastbilly1 posted:

That adapter is notorious for shipping with out the pin adapter for the NES.

How? It looks like it's built into it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So now that I have some sort of a CRT setup I have to ask, has anyone investigated how much of a difference there is in output latency between the analog video and HDMI outs on the consoles where that's a thing (360, PS3, Wii U)?

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

How? It looks like it's built into it
Thats a DB9 plug, there is a dongle to adapt a NES controller to it:

Mayflash screwed up the first few shipments and did not send the dongles. I reached out to them several times and finally got one of the two I should have received.

Charles Get-Out posted:

But the 2600/Berzerk combo is maybe $50, I like all the pretty colors, and all of my ability to play Berzerk is tied to the 2600 joystick.
Obviously you needto spend more money and get the Vectrix, a 3d Imager, an Atari to Vectrix adapter, then pay someone to make a 3d version of Berzerk. Then let me have the rom file...

Berzerk on the 2600 is still solid go for it. If you havent tried it, Halo 2600 plays alot like it.

fastbilly1 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 21, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What the best method of playing PS1 games on a CRT I should choose? I got two old PS1 (original launch and PSOne) but guess they don't take component. I have a PS2 Slim but it doesn't seem to take discs anymore last time I checked a month ago. I had a PS3, but heard it only plays in 480i so it doesn't look hot on a CRT. And I don't have any of the PSP, which I heard is probably the best option to play them these days but heard you need a Go to use a dual shock 3/4 else I have to use the system as a controller. I had a PSP Go last year and did like it, but the screen died on me and I sold it off to a goon.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Rirse posted:

What the best method of playing PS1 games on a CRT I should choose?
PS1 with RGB + Luma Sync cables looks great. Ditto for playing PS1 discs on a PS2, and the PS2 also lets you use Component cables. There's a setting in the system menu to switch between RGB and YPbPr. Both systems look great on a CRT.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

So now that I have some sort of a CRT setup I have to ask, has anyone investigated how much of a difference there is in output latency between the analog video and HDMI outs on the consoles where that's a thing (360, PS3, Wii U)?

The lag doesn't seem to be different enough for fighting game people to insist on playing 360/PS3 titles on component video on CRTs these days, so I assume it's definitely not different enough for the average person.

Of course, that could have as much to do with the fact that most of those aren't as nice to play at 480 4:3 as they are at 720 or 1080 16:9, and getting a CRT that actualyl shows 720 or 1080 16:9 content usually means some display lag in itself.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Lag depends entirely on the display in question; it is TERRIBLE on some models of TV/monitor and low on others. As long as you're on the low end of this you won't notice the difference, but if you're not...

https://displaylag.com/display-database/

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Clearly the solution is to get the sexy rear end psOne screen.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Rirse posted:

What the best method of playing PS1 games on a CRT I should choose? I got two old PS1 (original launch and PSOne) but guess they don't take component. I have a PS2 Slim but it doesn't seem to take discs anymore last time I checked a month ago. I had a PS3, but heard it only plays in 480i so it doesn't look hot on a CRT. And I don't have any of the PSP, which I heard is probably the best option to play them these days but heard you need a Go to use a dual shock 3/4 else I have to use the system as a controller. I had a PSP Go last year and did like it, but the screen died on me and I sold it off to a goon.

I have a ps1 with an s-video cable and it looks really good on my crt. I also have a snes and genesis with hd-retrovision component cables hooked up to the component input on the tv and the ps1 with s-video looks almost as good. I got a $7 s-video cable from amazon for it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Charles Get-Out posted:

The 2600 version of Berzerk lets you turn off Evil Otto. Only punks turn off Evil Otto.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Perhaps an in between is a Colecovision and Frenzy, which is berzerks sequel. You could always get the previously mentioned 2600 adapter and berzerk and play on same system.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Nate RFB posted:

Earthbound is probably the one white whale that I'd love to have in my collection but probably never will. It's an archaic game in a number of ways that makes playing it in 2017 kind of frustrating, but I still more or less enjoyed my time with it. Having played it on the VC, Shantae on the other hand is nowhere near good enough to justify the cost IMO.

As easy as it is to mock someone who pays eight billion dollars for a sealed Cacoma Knight in Bizyland or whatever, I think everyone's entitled to splurge on a stupidly expensive nerd thing once in a lifetime. It doesn't matter if it's Earthbound or Shantae or some rare Japanese version of Deep Blue where the only difference is a soda company logo on the title screen. If it's something you've wanted for a long time and you'd rather have it more than any other pricey game, go for it and don't be ashamed.

Of course, the key here is "once." Some people just throw money at any rarity. I'm all for owning your favorites, but how many favorites can you have?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rirse posted:

S Video. It's pretty much just as sharp as RGB. RGB has nicer colors but in no way is it worth all the poo poo you'd have to do to play it on an American CRT. You will be very happy with s video.

PVMs and HDTVs is when RGB is worth it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

S Video. It's pretty much just as sharp as RGB. RGB has nicer colors but in no way is it worth all the poo poo you'd have to do to play it on an American CRT. You will be very happy with s video.

PVMs and HDTVs is when RGB is worth it.

Cool. I need to see if my old PS1 still works. I remember the PSOne was bought for my dad since he was having trouble getting Resident Evil 2 working one day. Still got a old Jam disc so I can at least test that out. At least if it only the disc drive, I can always get that PSIO whenever it returns since it not abandoned as I thought.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rirse posted:

Cool. I need to see if my old PS1 still works. I remember the PSOne was bought for my dad since he was having trouble getting Resident Evil 2 working one day. Still got a old Jam disc so I can at least test that out. At least if it only the disc drive, I can always get that PSIO whenever it returns since it not abandoned as I thought.

I feel I should warn you based on your previous difficulties that the PSIO does require some modding of your PS1's mainboard.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I feel I should warn you based on your previous difficulties that the PSIO does require some modding of your PS1's mainboard.

I thought it plugged into the slot on the back of the PS1? I have the original launch model with the port on the back. I still even have the Game Shark that plugs into that slot as well. Eh, if it needs motherboard modding, then I probably just have someone like Monitor Burn install it otherwise.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Also, PS2 svideo cables work fine on PS1, at least the original model. You can still get official sony ones new for < tenbux.

https://www.amazon.com/Playstation-Official-S-Video-Scph-10480-Higher-Clarity/dp/B00N3TXB1U

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The PSX/PSone doesn't do Component output at all, you'd be better off getting a PS2 with component cables and playing PSX games on it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rirse posted:

I thought it plugged into the slot on the back of the PS1? I have the original launch model with the port on the back. I still even have the Game Shark that plugs into that slot as well. Eh, if it needs motherboard modding, then I probably just have someone like Monitor Burn install it otherwise.

That's half of it how it works. The other half is a small board that interrupts the CD I/O to send data to the parallel port for it to actually work.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Silhouette posted:

The PSX/PSone doesn't do Component output at all, you'd be better off getting a PS2 with component cables and playing PSX games on it.

Does the ps2 upscale or process ps1 games? I'd rather use the original console on a CRT if it does.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Would love to just use the PS2 for PS1 games, but is there any method to play backups besides the disc swap trick?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

azurite posted:

I just received an audio board for mine. Seems like the installation should be easy enough. Pretty stoked to have another mini project this week.

Holy poo poo, if you decide to install the OSSC add-on audio board yourself, don't do what I did. When I followed the instructions and soldered the audio board directly to the three pads on the OSSC, I tombstoned it at an angle. Not really thinking about it, I pushed down and ripped up the pads. What was supposed to be a simple hour-long installation turned into an afternoon-long ordeal because I had to solder tiny wires directly to the even smaller pins of the IC. I managed to do it, though, and now everything works.

I suggest ignoring the instructions where they tell you to solder the board directly to the pads. Solder wires between them instead. If you gently caress up and move the board like my dumb rear end, you will not be a happy camper.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rirse posted:

Would love to just use the PS2 for PS1 games, but is there any method to play backups besides the disc swap trick?

Backup what, PS2 games? You can get a hdd, one of the PS2 backdoor discs, and install free mcboot.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

al-azad posted:

Backup what, PS2 games? You can get a hdd, one of the PS2 backdoor discs, and install free mcboot.

They mean playing PS1 games on a PS2.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GutBomb posted:

Does the ps2 upscale or process ps1 games? I'd rather use the original console on a CRT if it does.

PS1 games played on PS2 output at the same resolution they would on the PS1, Sony included no upscaling hardware of that type. In the PS2's menu system, you can choose to enable texture filtering, which applies simple bilinear filtering to all textures passed through from the PS1 game. But this is entirely optional, so you can leave it as-is and it'll show nearly the exact same output as the PS1 did.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I know the Japanese PS1 at launch had an s video port but I could have bet my life that my launch one had it too. There's no way this is the case, right? I mean it was 1995 and I didn't really get into s video until 1999 but I would have bet anything my US launch one had it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Just the Japanese launch model had it.

• Locked thread