Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

cakesmith handyman posted:

Shower beer, then forget about the hassle because it's in the past.

Cold shower, at that. Keeps it from getting in your skin and itching like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

monsterzero posted:

So you'll be fixing boners?

Glad I'm not the only one who went there first. :flaccid:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

oh hey did i tell u guys i work on android auto stuff and android based head units now?

cuz thats what i do

and android has so many dumb bugs with dumb hacks of a fix its silly

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

scuz posted:

Welp, did my first go-kart track visit as an adult-aged person and I'm 100% hooked on racing. Next step I guess is to find a way to afford that MR2 AW11 and take 'er on up to a race track.

Oh god if you're small enough that the idea of being competitive in karts isn't laughably impossible, stick with that a while. Racing cars gets expensive faster than most people's ability to avoid expensive mistakes, if you get what I'm saying.

(... but I can't stop...)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Larrymer posted:

He tried so hard, and got so far. But in the end, did it even really matter?

Too soon, but I laughed.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Larrymer posted:

He tried so hard, and got so far. But in the end, did it even really matter?

Lol.

So my wife calls me first thing this morning at work and says the dryer isn't getting hot. Get home, verify the issue, tear it down and troubleshoot. Both limit switches and the motor centrifugal switch test good. Motor has power and is working, uhhhh the element should be getting hot.

Put it back together, plug in it and test....it works perfectly. I have two screws left over from reassembly but no idea why it was acting up. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Obviously those screws were causing the issue!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Enourmo posted:

mother gently caress i am in full on rage mode today

didn't help that I had dipshits loving with me on the road. Oh, here's a miata who thinks he's loving Senna passing three cars and then nearly ripping off my front bumper cutting in front of me, just to immediately stop and wait for 2 full cycles of the light before we both got through the turn. Here's a GTO who's loving pacing me for some reason, driving 10 under until I get over to pass at which point he starts pacing me up to 60; I slow and get back behind him, rinse and repeat. Here's some idiot in a rav4 who's matching speed with slow traffic even though our lane is fully clear, and randomly stepping on the brakes every couple seconds.

And since I have no actual outlet for anger I post about it here! enjoy, kids

I loving HATE sharing the road with assholes like this. Express your rage my friend.

I'm laying in bed at 1pm, drinking coffee and putting off packing the car. I'm off camping tonight, forecast is -5C. Oh well, guess we'll have a fire and cook some steaks.

Any Ausgoons have recommendations for Car museums/other interesting poo poo to hit up? My rough route is pictured below, buts it's very open to change.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
A 2000 Land Cruiser is about an hour away from me, good price too. From the pictures the interior looks good, seller claims that it was a one-owner vehicle. The downside is it has 337k on it. An hour is just an hour sure but in the land of ~Land Cruisers~ I don't know if north of 300k is anything to worry about assuming all the maintenance was taken car of properly.
Should I even bother going looking at it?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

KakerMix posted:

A 2000 Land Cruiser is about an hour away from me, good price too. From the pictures the interior looks good, seller claims that it was a one-owner vehicle. The downside is it has 337k on it. An hour is just an hour sure but in the land of ~Land Cruisers~ I don't know if north of 300k is anything to worry about assuming all the maintenance was taken car of properly.
Should I even bother going looking at it?

Any cool restaurants or things to do while you're out there? Might be worth it for that and add looking at the car as well. If not, and you don't really need the car, I'd pass.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

mariooncrack posted:

Any cool restaurants or things to do while you're out there? Might be worth it for that and add looking at the car as well. If not, and you don't really need the car, I'd pass.

Ybor is close by, could go up there to get some cubans I guess.
I'm just looking to get some sort of vehicle to tow kei cars that come in every month for an 8~ hour round trip drive along super-flat Florida.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

slothrop posted:

I loving HATE sharing the road with assholes like this. Express your rage my friend.

I'm laying in bed at 1pm, drinking coffee and putting off packing the car. I'm off camping tonight, forecast is -5C. Oh well, guess we'll have a fire and cook some steaks.

Any Ausgoons have recommendations for Car museums/other interesting poo poo to hit up? My rough route is pictured below, buts it's very open to change.

How long are you staying in Bathurst? I'll have a better look at your route when I get to a real computer but Ash's speedway museum might be worth a look if you like flat track racing.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

A month late, but still worth it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071J9XNV...3&tag=natdee-20

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
FREE CAR ALERT

The Mazda Navajo was just a Ford Explorer V6 right?

Edit: The wiki article on them has been oddly vandalized

https://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Navajo

quote:

The Mazda Navajo was a 2-door SUV introduced in 1991, and Mazda's very first off-roader. The Navajo was Mazda's truck-based SUV. Available as a four-wheel drive, two-door vehicle, the Navajo was essentially a rebadged Ford Explorer Sport. It was marketed in the United States as Mazda Canada did not want to market an SUV. All Navajoes were built in Louisville, Kentucky, where the Explorer was built.

To set the two apart, the Navajo had a different grille, taillights and wheels. Inside, it was even harder to tell one from the other, as seat fabrics, typeface on the instrument cluster (but the same design) and the steering wheel hub were the ae apparent differences. Twa trim levels for the Navajo wur affered, base an LX. The base version affered pouer windaes, pouer locks an pouer mirrors as standard. The LX addit features such as extra interior n an a leather-wrapt steerin wheel. An optional premium package loadit up the Navajo wi luxuries includin air conditionin, a stereo seestem wi cassette deck, cruise control, sport seats wi pouer lumbar adjustment an a pop-up/removable muinruif.

A rear-wheel drive Navajo wis available for 1992, geared towards fowk who liked the sporty image o an SUV, but did no need fower-wheel drive. Base models wur nou cawed the DX, mair in keepin wi the Japanese manufacturer's way o referrin tae their base versions (such as Mazda's awn 626 DX). Itherwise, the Navajo chynged so little that maist o the photography uised in the 1991 brochure wis reuised for the 1992 brochure. As expectit, the 1993 Navajo picked up the same mechanical upgrades as the Explorer, such as increast pouer for the V6 ingine an fower-wheel anti-lock brakes. Unlike the Explorer, housomeivver, the ae ither chynge wis an optional CD player. New five-spoke alloy wheels for the Navajo LX wur the ae chynge for 1994, which wis the Navajo's last year. Sales wur puir, an the Navajo wis eventually replaced wi the Mazda Tribute (based on the Ford Escape) in 2001, seiven years efter the Navajo wis discontinued. The Navajo wis Motor Trend magazine's Truck o the Year for 1991. Template:North American Mazda vehicles

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 21, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
God DAMMIT I broke the tumbler gears on my lathe!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
-dictated but not read (while doing whippets)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

QuarkMartial posted:

Cold shower, at that. Keeps it from getting in your skin and itching like crazy.

We need a science goon to weigh in, but if he's already hot sweaty and itchy its to late and a cold shower will shut the pores over the fibres yes? So a hot shower and cold beer would be better, scrub some of the fibres out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I reaaaaaaally liked Dunkirk. Time to reread wiki pages for the BF-109, Spitfire, and Hurricane. The way the Spitfire cabins creaked-- something I'd not seen portrayed before.
Maybe not being British means I'm missing out on bad or good (likely the latter) details and general :britain:. Like I noticed the Scottish soldiers could wear tams, but maybe more of that slipped by.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Taking my son to see it tomorrow on IMAX looks like a good movie, I love good war movies.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Its structure is challenging but I think it's the best war movie I've seen since Saving Private Ryan.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Private Ryan is very good, but I haven't seen anything top Platoon yet. Best war movie imo.

We'll see tomorrow :)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

kimbo305 posted:

I reaaaaaaally liked Dunkirk. Time to reread wiki pages for the BF-109, Spitfire, and Hurricane. The way the Spitfire cabins creaked-- something I'd not seen portrayed before.
Maybe not being British means I'm missing out on bad or good (likely the latter) details and general :britain:. Like I noticed the Scottish soldiers could wear tams, but maybe more of that slipped by.

:same: my parents texted on a whim to come watch our kids so we could go on a date. Timing didn't work for spider man or Wonder Woman (you never see movies when you have kids unless they are kid movies) but Dunkirk in IMAX was playing and boy am I glad I watched in IMAX. The sound was incredible. As usual Nolan delivered a seriously good movie people will be talking about until the next one he does.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Edit: The wiki article on them has been oddly vandalized

https://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Navajo

Hahaha check the URL. It's been machine translated into pigeon Scots.... which seems utterly pointless because it's just English with Scottish phonetic spelling. There aren't even any unique Scottish words in it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:same: my parents texted on a whim to come watch our kids so we could go on a date. Timing didn't work for spider man or Wonder Woman (you never see movies when you have kids unless they are kid movies) but Dunkirk in IMAX was playing and boy am I glad I watched in IMAX. The sound was incredible. As usual Nolan delivered a seriously good movie people will be talking about until the next one he does.

Wasn't Nolans last film a meandering pointless rehash of 2001?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

slothrop posted:

Alright, so you've probably already left but just in case Katoomba>Bathurst via Sodwalls Rd and Tarana Rd is a more interesting drive than bombing down the great western. Narrow and twisty so in a car you'll probably take about 15 minutes longer for that stretch if that's an issue.

Bathurst>Temora you're kinda hosed for choice, however detouring onto Iandra Rd (between Cowra and Young) to go past Iandra Castle could be worth it if you feel like looking at an interesting building. I've gone past there a couple of times for work trips but never actually visited the museum so can't speak for it.

I personally hate the hume so after Beechworth I'd go via Mansfield-Whitfield Rd then probably via Yea, but if you're up for it you could take the long way round and go on the Mansfield-Woods Point Rd. I think it's all sealed now but I can't vouch for it. Going via Yea probably wont take much longer than taking the Hume, going via Woods Point will definitely add a few hours to the trip.

Can't offer any advice for your return along the coast, I know some people recommend going through the Royal National Park but it's also a cop magnet so it's probably wise to skip that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

My laptop is under a DDOS from four cats

If only you could somehow catch them before they reached the laptop, maybe with a device. :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Liquid Communism posted:

If only you could somehow catch them before they reached the laptop, maybe with a device. :v:

apt get cardboard-box
cardbox-box installed

Hey, that worked!

Do we still have a detailing thread in AI? I think Im going to need some ideas how to clean up one grotty as gently caress WRX

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

fridge corn posted:

Wasn't Nolans last film a meandering pointless rehash of 2001?

Nolan's last film was a bit crap, yeah.

...but then my dude is hopelessly overrated for *reasons* that I don't actually understand.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Do we still have a detailing thread in AI? I think Im going to need some ideas how to clean up one grotty as gently caress WRX

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

cakesmith handyman posted:

Shower beer, then forget about the hassle because it's in the past.

You know, my friend basically said the same thing to me.

It's done. I'm over it. I'm a little pissed that I didn't get the soundproofing I wanted but whatever.
It seems like my neighbors are pretty cool, so hopefully I won't piss them off too much with my noisy garaging.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

apt-get install cardboard-box
cardbox-box installed

Hey, that worked!

come on man, at least get the syntax right.

yes, I am a nerd who works on debian based distros too much.

My cat is apparently a size 13

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 21, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

slurry_curry posted:

come on man, at least get the syntax right.

yes, I am a nerd who works on debian based distros too much.

My cat is apparently a size 13

Come, come. Right this way please.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

apt get cardboard-box
cardbox-box installed

Hey, that worked!

Don't cat as root!

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

eh, this thread needs more cats anyways.

Wednesday is a strange kitty, this is one of her new napping spots

crammed herself between the back lip of the buffet, 2 potted plants and a stack of books.

sometimes she actually sleeps in her condo

apparently she approves of our new bathtub

sometimes she takes a break from napping to go kill stuff

then goes back to sitting in any avaliable box

mostly she likes that one shoe box tho

she was tiny when we first met her

still pretty small a year later.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So uh that fan is on a GFCI, right? :ohdear:

I guess the dude has a boxer fetish now?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Oh my Gawd I feel I just stepped into a rabbit hole

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So uh that fan is on a GFCI, right? :ohdear:

All the outlets in that room are GFCI's and the brand new panel has afci/gfci breakers. We are still finishing up the work(that bathroom was just put in where a bedroom used to be) and that just happened to be where one of our contractors set the fan down, so its not even plugged in.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Detailing never ends.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeah, I have that thread bookmarked, but I'm afraid to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dunkirk was a very good movie, but Christ it was unreasonably loud, like the sub woofers were distorting loud.

Maybe I'm just old, but I don't need rock concert decibels while watching a movie :shrug:

• Locked thread