Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love this because it's a scenario any writer should be drooling over. Oh man wow, how could we possibly write a noir film where the lead is morally and ethically compromised? There must be a way to decaffinate him and make him palatable.

I agree. Like I said, I didn't like BvS, but I thought Affleck was great. I wouldn't mind seeing him continue on with the role. And you're right: if you truly committed to that interpretation of the character, you could tell some interesting stories. But that doesn't seem like it's the direction that DCEU wants to go in, especially since getting a certifiable critical and audience hit in Wonder Woman. Good or ill, I feel like that tone is going to come to define the upcoming slate of movies in the universe. I don't think it's any coincidence that after floating in a limbo for so long that Shazam was finally given a director and a full studio "go" so shortly after the success of that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Burkion posted:

Basically Punisher Kills The Marvel Universe is pretty skewed in how things work.

Marvel Universe vs The Punisher is a better version of it. Great ending too.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Chairman Capone posted:

Valerian isn't annoyingly unconventional, it's utterly conventional.

The other woman in the movie is Rihanna, who (I guess minor spoilers) is a shape-changing alien stripper who's been enslaved to Ethan Hawke since she was 4 years old and puts on a show with various fetish outfits for Valerian, before he helps her escape. She then gets killed a few minutes later.

Huh, those two statements don't seem to jive.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

I agree. Like I said, I didn't like BvS, but I thought Affleck was great. I wouldn't mind seeing him continue on with the role. And you're right: if you truly committed to that interpretation of the character, you could tell some interesting stories. But that doesn't seem like it's the direction that DCEU wants to go in, especially since getting a certifiable critical and audience hit in Wonder Woman. Good or ill, I feel like that tone is going to come to define the upcoming slate of movies in the universe. I don't think it's any coincidence that after floating in a limbo for so long that Shazam was finally given a director and a full studio "go" so shortly after the success of that movie.

Yeah, RIP.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
There's no way that DCEU is ever going to do anything even vaguely disruptive again. We got two nice little anomalies and, if we're lucky, some day we might get to see Snyder's cut of Justice League. I'll take it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Batman '66 played completely straight do it

Crisis of Infinite Batmen and get all the Bat actors back to reprise their roles.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vintersorg posted:

If Affleck is gone i'll be really disappointed. He was loving amazing. God gently caress listening to loving whiny nerds.

I won't be because of whiny nerds. Whiny nerds tended to say he was great but Zack Snyder must be destroyed. It's because Affleck is personally having a real struggle in his life right now and is no longer reliable to carry a franchise. He has the potential to reverse RDJ.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

While in his thirties, Besson married a 16 year old, who he had started to see when she was 15, after meeting her when she was 12. Then cast her as a prostitute in "Leon." Dude has issues.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I won't be because of whiny nerds. Whiny nerds tended to say he was great but Zack Snyder must be destroyed. It's because Affleck is personally having a real struggle in his life right now and is no longer reliable to carry a franchise. He has the potential to reverse RDJ.

Eh, just give him some markers at the poker table, what's the problem.

Davros1 posted:

While in his thirties, Besson married a 16 year old, who he had started to see when she was 15, after meeting her when she was 12. Then cast her as a prostitute in "Leon." Dude has issues.

The condition of being French.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Eh, just give him some markers at the poker table, what's the problem.

Puffy, hungover, straight-off-the-red-eye-from-Vegas Affleck was very game and personable in those charity videos where he surprises people taking a Warner Bros. tour. Guy's a pro.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Gotta be on for those 20 hours you're playing Hold 'Em. Not surprised the guy is charming on total autopilot.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sony exec wanting comic book movies to stop being so comic book-y already envisioning ludicriously large movie multi-verse

NBD

The one thing Marvel shows that works is having a central producer powerful enough to keep exec fingers from messing with a single or a team of writers vision of a character they unabashedly love. Why don't they just do that?

edit:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

First look at Steppenwolf and Superman toys

What could have been.....

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 21, 2017

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

First look at Steppenwolf and Superman toys

Kind of disappointed they're not going with the weird, monstrous Baphomet-by-way-of-H.R. Giger design from the BvS deleted scenes.

Still, nice to see the Necromongers from Chronicles Of Riddick getting a much needed paycheck.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The Flash exists. He can accidently fudge the timeline so Batman has a different face. (Don't go, Affleck :ohdear:)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Get Matt Damon in there. He can be Kilmer to Affleck's Keaton.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Phylodox posted:

Get Matt Damon in there. He can be Kilmer to Affleck's Keaton.

Does that mean we can have Clooney back as Clooney Batman?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Josh Brolin as Batman, Cable and Thanos.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Davros1 posted:

I mean that's gross but it's not quite "literal 4-year-old stripper slave" gross.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Radical new direction: Bateman for Batman.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Patrick? I could get behind that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

hiddenriverninja posted:

Patrick? I could get behind that.

No, Jason.

Or maybe Justine.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

My assumption was that they'd "phase him out" by building up Nightwing or some similar character to fill his function in later films. You don't need that many bat-themed vigilante characters operating at once, and they've already greenlit Nightwing and Batgirl films.

Which is definitely what I assume Marvel's going to do. "Replace" Chris Evans with Anthony Mackie or Sebastian Stan like in the comics.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Xealot posted:

My assumption was that they'd "phase him out" by building up Nightwing or some similar character to fill his function in later films. You don't need that many bat-themed vigilante characters operating at once, and they've already greenlit Nightwing and Batgirl films.

Which is definitely what I assume Marvel's going to do. "Replace" Chris Evans with Anthony Mackie or Sebastian Stan like in the comics.

Phase out the most well known and profitable superhero in the world.

Jjonahjamesonlaugh.gif

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

Phase out the most well known and profitable superhero in the world.

Jjonahjamesonlaugh.gif

And replace him with Nightwing. Lol. There's like 40 years of comic book history that can tell you how that would play out.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Since it's technically a comic book movie anyone offer their opinions on Valerian yet? Hearing it compared to fifth element in style but far less substance

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's no way that DCEU is ever going to do anything even vaguely disruptive again. We got two nice little anomalies and, if we're lucky, some day we might get to see Snyder's cut of Justice League. I'll take it.

"Some day" might be the bluray release.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'd love an Ultimate Cut of Justice League. I'm looking forward to hearing what changed around post-release when everyone starts talking about who changed what and why.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Would there even be a "Snyder Cut" of the film? Wouldn't there just be, like, a rough assembly cut before the scheduled reshoots?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Blumhouse is moving forward with Todd McFarlane's Spawn movie

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

LesterGroans posted:

Would there even be a "Snyder Cut" of the film? Wouldn't there just be, like, a rough assembly cut before the scheduled reshoots?

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Whedon directing the rest of JL, but I don't think it would be that different from Snyder's original vision. Even if Whedon wanted to make massive changes, there's literally no time to do it properly.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Blumhouse is moving forward with Todd McFarlane's Spawn movie

Of course, they are like the king of cheap horror movies nowadays. Probably the only one who would fork out $10 million and let Todd do all the writing and directing.

LesterGroans posted:

Joss Whedon is also supervising the editing of JL. Snyder might do it differently.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Equeen posted:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Whedon directing the rest of JL, but I don't think it would be that different from Snyder's original vision. Even if Whedon wanted to make massive changes, there's literally no time to do it properly.

Whedon started reshooting in late May and it could go into August. He has the full cast.

http://www.batman-on-film.com/dc-comics-on-film_JUSTICE-LEAGUE_news_reshoots-have-began_6-2-17.html

For reference, the original shooting schedule for Justice League was April 2016 to October 2016. So this is somewhere around 30 - 50% of the original shooting schedule.

Now assuming you trust that article that I posted (and, admittedly, you have nothing more than the word of the site's source - although they do claim it as 100% reliable) - this is quite a significant amount of time.

"no time to do it properly" has never stopped Hollywood, sadly.

With the amount of money riding on this, I can totally see them gutting it.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 22, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just do a Batman Beyond movie already, with Michael Keaton as old Bruce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMXjtvMAFlI

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Koirhor posted:

Since it's technically a comic book movie anyone offer their opinions on Valerian yet? Hearing it compared to fifth element in style but far less substance

There's brief discussion a couple of pages ago but in my opinion it's visually great but doesn't show of much of Besson's appeal (Editing, way to latch onto plots, effective action, music, clever visuals). (I'm obviously a fan) Only the dense city visuals, aliens, and a dance scene being up Fifth Element.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Just to understand what you two are talking about, you're addressing specifically the hand-to-hand martials arts stuff in The Matrix, not the entirety of the action, right? That is to say, you're not talking about the bullet-time gunplay, which was a huge part of the first movie.

I am.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You would understand if you could use more than 10% of your brain. But alas, that is the upper limit for human beings.

One might say "Super Mecha Human Beings"

Crows Turn Off posted:

I hated Lucy, it was god awful. I wish I could generalize everyone who liked it as an idiot, but I liked BvS so I'm not better than them.

No. No...you're not. And to think I used to think you were cool, Crows Turn Off. Sad.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 22, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This will all be especially ironic if Wonder Woman does end up being the turning point, a movie wherein the heroine routinely kills her enemies without remorse while believing them to be supernaturally compelled to action, and goes on a huge rage-out slaughterfest at the end.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And ultimately accomplishes nothing. Finally an optimistic DC Film.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Wonder Woman is way bleaker than either MoS or BvS - as it should be, since it's the story of why Wonder Woman wasn't around for a hundred years of human atrocity - but if you didn't pay close attention to the plot you'd never know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Vintersorg posted:

If Affleck is gone i'll be really disappointed. He was loving amazing. God gently caress listening to loving whiny nerds.

Same. He was really, really good in spite of my initial doubts and I was looking forward to a solo film. I'm not sure how much "nerds" had to with any casting decisions DC did or didn't make but Affleck was one of the relatively few things DC had going for their franchise and it would suck to lose him.

• Locked thread