Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

SpartanIV posted:

I'm a salary man and it's true :smith:

:same:

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

There Bias Two posted:

You realize how many people throughout the world generally long for exactly that, right? I don't think it's something particular to salary-people by any measure.

I'm not saying wanting love and companionship is something uniquely Japanese. Rather, the existence of such an extensive and marketable genre that conflates companionship with magical fantasy that I find alarming.

It may be that I'm too familiar with my own culture to recognize that the same thing exists here. Certainly franchises like Twilight exist.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm not saying wanting love and companionship is something uniquely Japanese. Rather, the existence of such an extensive and marketable genre that conflates companionship with magical fantasy that I find alarming.

It may be that I'm too familiar with my own culture to recognize that the same thing exists here. Certainly franchises like Twilight exist.

There are also plenty of romantic films with magical elements in the west as well. Look at most classic Disney movies.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

There Bias Two posted:

There are also plenty of romantic films with magical elements in the west as well. Look at most classic Disney movies.

I think the difference with those is that the whole world is fantastical there rather than the fantastic invading something otherwise mundane.

A better example might be things like Bewitched or I Dream of Jeanie which are structurally really similar to Dragon Maid.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Zore posted:

I think the difference with those is that the whole world is fantastical there rather than the fantastic invading something otherwise mundane.

A better example might be things like Bewitched or I Dream of Jeanie which are structurally really similar to Dragon Maid.

Even so, I'm not sure why that distinction makes it remarkably different in substance when compared to other romantic fantasies.

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

There Bias Two posted:

Even so, I'm not sure why that distinction makes it remarkably different in substance when compared to other romantic fantasies.

You're not sure why presenting someone who a healthy relationship is possible with as inherently supernatural is different in substance? Uhhh...

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Pachakuti posted:

You're not sure why presenting someone who a healthy relationship is possible with as inherently supernatural is different in substance? Uhhh...

Obviously it's weird, but they tend to be anthropomorphized to the point where they're not particularly distinguishable from regular people in a behavioral sense. I've seen less realistic depictions of people in actual live action movies played by actual humans.

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

There Bias Two posted:

Obviously it's weird, but they tend to be anthropomorphized to the point where they're not particularly distinguishable from regular people in a behavioral sense. I've seen less realistic depictions of people in actual live action movies played by actual humans.

You're getting the wrong end of the stick here. The point is that healthy, loving relationships are placed outside of everyday life and somewhat in opposition to it, as opposed to, say, the romantic fantasy where the weird guy in the lunchroom is actually an immortal vampire. This is not surprising for a series about gay relationships that was created in a country where legal recognition of same-sex marriages even on the local level only began in 2015, or indeed surprising for a series created in any country in the world at the present time. But it is certainly different in substance from other romantic fantasy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Exactly. The relationship isn't fantastic because one of the women has goofy horns and a tail, the relationship is fantastic because it's loving and fulfilling.

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's also something you see in Flip Flappers, though obviously nowhere near the same extent, and on a different dimension in YKA.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Pachakuti posted:

It's also something you see in Flip Flappers, though obviously nowhere near the same extent, and on a different dimension in YKA.

flip flappers is fuckin incredible, tho

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There've been stories about people falling in love with mermaids and gods and poo poo in every culture for all of history

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

There've been stories about people falling in love with mermaids and gods and poo poo in every culture for all of history

And sometimes swans or cows or whatever Zeus felt like being that day.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Zore posted:

there's rear end tons of low fantasy poo poo out there it's like all Neil Gaiman writes (I think)

what does HBO's True Blood tell us about the happiness of the American worker?

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sea Sponge Run posted:

flip flappers is fuckin incredible, tho

These aren't criticisms in the sense of being "a bad thing."

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Pachakuti posted:

These aren't criticisms in the sense of being "a bad thing."

I don't care about the words others are saying, I interjected with my own statement

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Did the show address the significance behind that fruit Tohru brought from the otherworld for the lunchbox competition? She was overjoyed when Kobayashi took a bite out and said it was delicious. Was it just confirmation in a way that Tohru understood that the fight they were having was no big deal?

Edit: upon seeing that scene again, it looks like it was merely Tohru being a dick because Kobayashi mocked her after winning round 1

El Padrino fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 29, 2017

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/silvakuros/status/881300719420166144

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

New BD special!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3l3XA5zNW8

What? No, of course there's no translation yet you dummy.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Very good.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zeruel posted:

Very good.

Proof that Elma is in fact the most powerful dragon.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Zeruel posted:

Very good.
Such doofy dragons :3:

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Zeruel posted:

Very good.

Elma is the loving strong.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
sasuga chorogon

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Zeruel posted:

Very good.

Eluma fighto!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Zeruel posted:

Very good.

quoting so i can find this in my post history later

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I don't get it, they said "Kendodoragon," when "Kendoragon" was right there begging to be used. :confused:

Still great.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Too obvious. They just want to blue balls tease you.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm sure they'll get tired eventually

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

a kitten posted:

I'm sure they'll get tired eventually

Pfft.

In a hundred years, maybe.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Che Delilas posted:

I don't get it, they said "Kendodoragon," when "Kendoragon" was right there begging to be used. :confused:

Still great.

Actual answer: "Kendo" splits into ke-n-do-u in Japanese, so it doesn't end with "do".

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

rewatching this series while paying close attention to kobayashi has made me realise that she is by far the best character

example, flying on tohru's back

(yelling) "You're drat fast!"
no response
(whisper) "I guess I'll hire her."
"Really?!"
"So you can hear me."

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
https://www.twitch.tv/twitchpresents
CHU CHU YEAH

e: its a gif of a man dancing, used to signify 'bangers'

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 1, 2017

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I have no idea what that icon is supposed to be.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Needs more Bee Zee or bee's knee's or whatever is the second verse of the song in order to loop better in my head :colbert:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It was a crime making Dragon Maid play during the graveyard shift on weekdays *both* times.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Was pretty great for us Europeans.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
This popped up on my youtube feed and got a chuckle out of me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5-c9kfbRis

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What good friends they are.

Official bluray extras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fangz posted:

What good friends they are.

Official bluray extras.

Funimation: "We were just following the original intent when we changed 'you're not really my type' to 'I'm not into women' in the dub"

Official bluray: 'Here's a picture of a gay dragon wedding'

• Locked thread