Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Dark Id posted:

All the machines in the area have turned hostile. Becoming a god isn’t an opt in thing for this compound. It’s a mandatory service. After all, who wouldn’t want to become a god? And what kind of jerk wouldn’t want to help others become as gods? They’re just being neighborly. Even if 2B is having none of that poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb5-LLQ3FjY&t=20s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorpheus
Apr 26, 2017
I have sung this song to my dogs more times than I will ever admit. :blush:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

AradoBalanga posted:

And now I want to see how Yoko Taro would handle a Monty Python sketch.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Ratoslov posted:

BECOME AS DOGS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tykRr71SlAs

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So glad we finally got here. Yeah. Now we have only 1/4th (1/5 if you count not-Sephiroth) of machines who disconnect from the network being "normal"

Don't disconnect.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
So, "normal" is isolating yourself in a village with a bunch of innocent-minded robot children and world-renowned jerk Jean-Paul?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Compared to the rest of the DrakeNier universe? Yes.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Isolating yourself in the one bastion of peace and happiness in the Drakenier universe is probably the dumbest, worst idea ever though.

That's where all the really bad poo poo goes down, man!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Always keeps you surprised, this game. Also my first playthrough I hadn't found Emil again so I was expecting him to be the cult leader in some kind of hilarious goofy mixup. Hell, I half expected the robo head to split apart and reveal him again.

Begemot posted:

Fun fact: the enemies in the throne room are not endless. If you happen to enjoy killing religious zealots you can keep at it while Pascal waits in the elevator.

I found this out almost by accident. It occurred to me that if Pascal had visited on his own, they'd have killed him. So they all had to be destroyed. This carried on through the whole factory. It took a while. Many gods were made that day.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Sage Grimm posted:

So, "normal" is isolating yourself in a village with a bunch of innocent-minded robot children and world-renowned jerk Jean-Paul?

So basically Leonard :iamafag:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Pascal's village has a bunch of other adults, though? Like Mother Machine and Father Machine? I'm pretty sure Pascal's village is as close to normal as you can get considering the circumstances.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Oxxidation posted:

Every major encounter with the machines so far has consisted of them emulating more and more complex aspects of humanity but sort of missing the plot when it comes to fine details.

The first colony tries to emulate the most basic organic instinct, the need to procreate. They dry-hump each other until a Sephiroth happens.

The amusement park 'bots take a shot at the concepts of entertainment and recreation, which leads to endless parades, clown makeup, confetti cannons, and the Party Tank. Those guys have the right idea. Not so much with Simone, who goes mad in her pursuit of aesthetics and romance.

The forest kingdom is exploring the idea of an independent state and loyalty to a monarch, so they're paranoid nutters screaming about honor and duty without having any idea of what those words mean and plotting counterattacks against imaginary foes in the name of a mute and soon-to-be shish-kebobbed baby.

And now we have the factory settlement, which has found religion and the idea of a better life after death. They appear to have collectively decided that, given this premise, it's logical to get the whole "death" bit over with as quickly as possible.

Don't forget the two Ken dolls trying to explore the concepts of family and, of course, death itself.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Pascal's village has a bunch of other adults, though? Like Mother Machine and Father Machine? I'm pretty sure Pascal's village is as close to normal as you can get considering the circumstances.

Which is why I doubt it's very long for this world. This is still Nier after all.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Where there's parents, there's children.

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
Of all the different robots we've seen so far, the purple ones are my favourite.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Are they purple because koolaid?

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
So... Eve is still theoretically out there somewhere, right? We haven't seen him since the big alien reveal--I think--and he wasn't there when bespectacled Adam got his poo poo pushed in...

Not A Gay Name
Nov 8, 2008

Forgall posted:

Are they purple because koolaid?

Fits with the Jonestown type ending they had

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Picayune posted:

So... Eve is still theoretically out there somewhere, right? We haven't seen him since the big alien reveal--I think--and he wasn't there when bespectacled Adam got his poo poo pushed in...

Yeah, Eve is still in the breeze. We don't know what's become of him since he gained leather pants and a haircut.

Man, this part of the game. I was hoping for once the religious guys wouldn't be utterly insane but welp,

At least the time from "religious group" to "catastrophic orgy of death and suicide" was very short and not played as a big shocking turn of events, I guess.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Picayune posted:

I'm sure he's fine. Probably just quietly mourning the death of his... brother (?) somewhere peaceful.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Begemot posted:

I'm sure he's fine. Probably just quietly mourning the death of his... brother (?) somewhere peaceful.

Brmother.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

Isolating yourself in the one bastion of peace and happiness in the Drakenier universe is probably the dumbest, worst idea ever though.

That's where all the really bad poo poo goes down, man!

Yeah, but it does keep the worse from happening for a least a few years. Temporary happiness is the best anyone gets in the DrakeNierverse.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Begemot posted:

He's a tough kid, I'm sure he'll be able to work through his pain in a productive manner.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

InequalityGodzilla posted:

He's a tough kid, I'm sure he'll be able to work through his pain in a productive manner.

Oh, come on. We ALL know how :yokotaro: works, and you're just kidding yourselves.

Personal theory (that may or may not be true): Eve's gonna come at us all angry and vengeful, then drop a plot twist on our asses like a RODO ROLLA DA!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Given how that tends to work in Taro Yoko games (murder), I'd say that's exactly what people are worrying about.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Are the amusement park bots on the network?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Billzasilver posted:

Are the amusement park bots on the network?

All the networked machines are hostile on sight. The little communities we've seen so far have all been severed from the network for some reason.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Yes, amusement-bots are off the grid.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Oxxidation posted:

All the networked machines are hostile on sight. The little communities we've seen so far have all been severed from the network for some reason.

'You idiots repurposed a main battle tank into a neverending fount of confetti streamers and party poppers for what reason?'
'We thought it'd make things more fun. Also now it never runs out of ammo or gas so it can go forever!'
'Yeah no we're not fooled here you guys just want to have it forever be party time. That's it, you're off the network.'
'...'
'FOREVER PARTY TIME!'

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

Which raises the question: what was up with all the passive enemies right at the beginning, and why did Adam being born cause them to become aggressive again?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Weren't they aggressive beforehand? You smack them around a bit before they form the robo-egg.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Oxxidation posted:

Not true. There are a bunch of pacifist machines in the open world early on who are still connected, and the Amusement Park machines also count as networked.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Machines in general were passive right at the start. 9S commented on it. I guess the network was bored?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

END ME SCOOB posted:

Not true. There are a bunch of pacifist machines in the open world early on who are still connected, and the Amusement Park machines also count as networked.

Yeah iirc the amusement park machines are networked (but unsure if the boss of the area was.)

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Junpei posted:

Oh, come on. We ALL know how :yokotaro: works, and you're just kidding yourselves.

Personal theory (that may or may not be true): Eve's gonna come at us all angry and vengeful, then drop a plot twist on our asses like a RODO ROLLA DA!
I'd be more worried about him dropping robot parts on us than plot twists but whatevs.

For all we know as soon as Adam died another hand burst out of Eve's chest and now there'll be another dongless white haired bishonen wandering around named...I dunno, Lilith?

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

ManlyGrunting posted:

Which raises the question: what was up with all the passive enemies right at the beginning, and why did Adam being born cause them to become aggressive again?

If you'll recall Adam was passive after being born, too. He'll just stand there until you attack him.

Really this is all the fault of our protagonists, who filled the first moments of half the machine network's admin consciousness with murder.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Religious nerd here. "become as gods" was worded that way because of the King James translation of Genesis 3:5. When the serpent tempts Eve to eat the Apple.

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

and Genesis 3:22

"And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us"

Remix, and we get "Become As Gods"

Yeah, this is where Xenogears got it too.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
then your eyes shall glow red and ye shall chant a catchy tune and ye shall be as gods, knowing death is the only guarantee in the land of Yoko Taro

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Dabir posted:

Machines in general were passive right at the start. 9S commented on it. I guess the network was bored?

From what Adam said, yeah. The Network's creators are long dead, humanity is basically irrelevant, so they really have nothing else to do. Since their creators were so culturally primitive, they're getting curious about those weird bipedal apes their creators hated so much. It's either that or just fight androids forever.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 22, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Geostomp posted:

It's either that or just fight androids forever.

Well, that or BECOME AS GODS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
Not exactly nier related, but related to previous Id Let's plays

But we finally have an explanation as to why Tetsuya Nomura 'loves' belts and zippers so much http://nichegamer.com/2017/07/19/tetsuya-nomura-finally-explains-obsession-zippers-belts/

In one word: Spite
pure spite

quote:

“At that time, people teased me about zippers and belts and whatnot and I’m the type of person if somebody eggs me on I’m gonna do it more!”

• Locked thread